Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Asia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2012, 06:21 AM   #76
SR1
In Western NC

Oddometer: 4,328
Hey guys, very good chance I'm coming to the Peyongtaek area soon. I have read plenty about how dirt riding is hard to find, I'm a little surprised, the southern part is still very rural, right? Surely there are mountain roads and rural trails all over (like in Thailand) right (or am I just WRONG?) ha ha?

I'm trying to figure out which bike to bring, the WR250r (with knobbies), the GS, or buy there.

Thanks!
My TAT trip will hopefully bring more attention to the need for more Cancer Research! Please go to http://www.gofundme.com/bxkt74 and check it out! No money goes to me or family, all to cancer research! Please donate at the location!!! Thanks!
SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:45 AM   #77
Hot Stuff
Road Dragon

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1 View Post
Hey guys, very good chance I'm coming to the Peyongtaek area soon. I have read plenty about how dirt riding is hard to find, I'm a little surprised, the southern part is still very rural, right? Surely there are mountain roads and rural trails all over (like in Thailand) right (or am I just WRONG?) ha ha?

I'm trying to figure out which bike to bring, the WR250r (with knobbies), the GS, or buy there.

Thanks!

There are some rural areas here but if it is level, it's farmland and if it's in the mountains, it's either a park or it's hiking trails, Buddhist temple areas, or military bases. I'm sure there are plenty of dirt/gravel roads in the mountains, but the problem is they may be off limits to motorcycles. Hell, even some of the paved roads here are off limits to motorcycles. I'd like to have a wee-strom or little Tiger to ride the dirty roads here, but haven't found a cost effective way to do that without giving up my touring bike.
Hot Stuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:52 AM   #78
Hot Stuff
Road Dragon

Quote:

Thanks!

The GS would be a great choice - some great paved roads here, and you can also hit the dirt roads if the opportunity arises.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:58 AM   #79
Hot Stuff
Road Dragon

Here're some recent shots from rides here originating in Seoul:

Old 03-25-2012, 03:35 PM   #80
Skitch
Riding the range

Oddometer: 1,493
Quote:

Thanks!
I think you would be happy with the GS. I live near Pyeongtaek (Osan AB), and while I'm still learning the area, I'm impressed with the paved road riding. There is hardly a straight road in this country! I brought my VStrom DL1000, and kind of wish I had brought my R1200RT. Main reason is for wx protection, as it gets kind of cold here in the winter, and I hear it gets kind of rainy in the summer. The range of the RT would be nice too, since I hope to do some multi day trips here. I would defintiely recommend not buying here. Used bikes seem hard to find, and if you buy new, expect to pay a premium. There are a couple of BMW dealerships here in Korea too, one that is not too hard to find in seoul.
The GS, like my Vstrom, will allow you to tear up the pavement, and explore moderate off pavement, which I think is a nice combo to have over here.
IBA #21269
-- Golf is for the dead.
Skitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:02 PM   #81
SR1
In Western NC

Skitch, same area I'd be going. If all goes well with the negotiation I'll be out there pretty soon. Not sure how the vehicle transport goes, but I guess I'll find out.

All, thanks! I hope to meet some of you soon!
My TAT trip will hopefully bring more attention to the need for more Cancer Research! Please go to http://www.gofundme.com/bxkt74 and check it out! No money goes to me or family, all to cancer research! Please donate at the location!!! Thanks!
Old 03-25-2012, 06:28 PM   #82
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 9,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitch View Post
I think you would be happy with the GS. I live near Pyeongtaek (Osan AB), and while I'm still learning the area, I'm impressed with the paved road riding. There is hardly a straight road in this country! I brought my VStrom DL1000, and kind of wish I had brought my R1200RT. Main reason is for wx protection, as it gets kind of cold here in the winter, and I hear it gets kind of rainy in the summer. The range of the RT would be nice too, since I hope to do some multi day trips here. I would defintiely recommend not buying here. Used bikes seem hard to find, and if you buy new, expect to pay a premium. There are a couple of BMW dealerships here in Korea too, one that is not too hard to find in seoul.
The GS, like my Vstrom, will allow you to tear up the pavement, and explore moderate off pavement, which I think is a nice combo to have over here.
Sure, there's hardly a straight road especially when motorcycles are not permitted on the highways. I wish I could personally tell President Lee Myung-bak how antiquated that thinking is and to get it changed, at least to something with a mininum engine size.

Yes, it gets cold. Think of New York City weather, pretty much.

For weather protection there's always the ubiquitous blue cardboard stuff everyone cobbles together to make fairing lowers, handguards, GPS shades, etc. Get some tie-wraps and ugly green duct tape and you're all set. Hey, I just realized the perfect bike for Korea... A KLR!!!

I hate rainy season, but mostly because Koreans don't seem to believe in clothing dryers so if you're staying with family you go around for a month feeling like a damp dish towel.

There is also the yellow dust season a couple of months before that which can be problematic if you have breathing issues. It also makes mountain-top sightseeing a bit disappointing and vista photography nearly impossible.

Not sure about Osan but around Seoul/Yongsan used bikes don't seem that hard to find, but you won't find much American, mostly Korean and Japanese. I recall seeing some shops around Namsan Town between the Beotigogae and Yaksu stations (#6). There were also a couple of shops behind where the BMW and KTM shops are (off the road leading to Hannam Bridge around Oksu, just south of Hannam Village housing). That just covers stuff walking distance from our place. Of course there is the motorcycle market area around Chungmuro. Don't forget the side/back streets there.

There are web sites with used bikes but they're mostly in Korean so good luck. There is also a Craigslist in Korea, which becomes especially busy between semesters as Engrish () teachers come and go. You may end up with a two-wheeled "hooptie" but what the heck. Great place to buy other stuff cheap too.

Speaking of web sites, this one is a life-saver for foreigners in Korea:

http://www.korea4expats.com

Terrific resource for all foreigners, run by great folks and the full of valuable information, and the forum can be really useful too. It also has a classifieds section. No bikes right now but you never know.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:33 AM   #83
SR1
In Western NC

Looks good all around. Let's see how this week's negotiation goes, and I think we'll be all set.

Hey, I'm going to make an assumption here, with all the Harleys around, there must be decent secured parking all over, right? How's that done?

Also, how long (usually) does it take to ship a bike from the US (and I assume get it through Customs?)
Old 03-26-2012, 05:45 AM   #84
Skitch
Riding the range

Quote:
Looks good all around. Let's see how this week's negotiation goes, and I think we'll be all set.

Hey, I'm going to make an assumption here, with all the Harleys around, there must be decent secured parking all over, right? How's that done?

Also, how long (usually) does it take to ship a bike from the US (and I assume get it through Customs?)
My bike was picked up by the movers on 21 Sep and arrived at my dorm on 18 Nov, so about 2 months. I shipped it as part of a HHGs move paid for by DoD. Customs was a non-issue, and registration was relatively painless.
I park my bike in a covered parking garage on Osan AB and have not had any issues.
IBA #21269
-- Golf is for the dead.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:48 AM   #85
Skitch
Riding the range

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Stuff View Post
Here're some recent shots from rides here originating in Seoul:

Great shots.

One of these days we'll have to meet in the middle and head east together. I sense you know where some of the best roads are in this country.
IBA #21269
-- Golf is for the dead.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:28 AM   #86
SR1
In Western NC

Sorry, just full of questions here...

I might as well have new tires before I pack her up...Tourances or TKC's? I sure would love to find at least a little dirt while there, but I'm not sure how much replacement tires run there. (TKC's wear much faster)
Old 03-26-2012, 06:53 AM   #87
Skitch
Riding the range

Quote:
Sorry, just full of questions here...

I might as well have new tires before I pack her up...Tourances or TKC's? I sure would love to find at least a little dirt while there, but I'm not sure how much replacement tires run there. (TKC's wear much faster)
I'd go with the Tourances. I think you will end up riding a lot more pavement than dirt. I'm running Conti Trail Attacks. I put a new set on the Vee before coming over with hopes they will make it the full year I'm supposed to be over here. Wear seems good and I like their on/off road handeling. But they are defintiely a pavement biased tire.
You might check out the ROK Riders page on Facebook. Couple of GS riders posting there.
IBA #21269
-- Golf is for the dead.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:46 AM   #88
SR1
In Western NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitch View Post
You might check out the ROK Riders page on Facebook. Couple of GS riders posting there.

Found 'em, thanks!
Old 03-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #89
podes88
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Hey, a few things to know about riding in korea
1 Bikes are not aloud on the big ass highways
2 Any bike over 125cc needs a Motorcycle license, the test to pass it is a pain in the ass but doable with practice
3 I have heard importing bikes can also be a pain, but that is only second hand knowledge. A lot of areas, especially north east and south west are pretty rural. Did you just join the Facebook group ROK Riders?
podes88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:18 AM   #90
SR1
In Western NC

Yes I did.