User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2011, 06:18 AM   #31
Onederer OP
Crunch Nugget

Oddometer: 688
Plated

Surgery is over, the drivers inssurance has claimed liability and I have the bike back (will have to wait on the check to see if they hold true to agreement).

Onederer screwed with this post 09-15-2011 at 07:32 PM
Onederer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:11 AM   #32
lowell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Good news keep healing
Old 10-06-2011, 07:11 PM   #33
Onederer OP
Crunch Nugget

Anyone who rides a vintage/antique/classic bike, you should consider insurance for such. Luckily, used parts for a XL600R are still easy to get in good condition otherwise I would not have come out too good on the price to repair it myself.

Anyone who rides a Vincent Black Shadow and doesn't have the proper insurance on it, don't say I didn't warn you.

Also, in Arkansas at least, it is not mandatory to have first person medical coverage with motorcycles like it is with automobiles and a lot of people opt out of it on their insurance to get the price down; which is a very bad idea. Think about that next time you have a close call with a deer because I guarantee the deer doesn't have insurance.

In a way, I am lucky to have hit the car. If I would have missed it but still crashed and she drove away, I would be stuck with any medical bills.

I have learned some things from all of this and will make some changes before getting back on a bike (on public roads).

I still can't wipe my butt with my right hand, among other things.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:10 PM   #34
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 5,997
Quote:
If I would have missed it but still crashed and she drove away, I would be stuck with any medical bills.
So, I guess that this is the best argument against "layin' 'er down to avoid a wreck"?

Seriously, glad that things are working out on your "mishap".
Old 10-23-2011, 07:46 PM   #35
Onederer OP
Crunch Nugget

To beg the question.....

See me now assholes?

Onederer screwed with this post 07-28-2013 at 07:49 PM
Old 10-23-2011, 07:51 PM   #36
Onederer OP
Crunch Nugget

After nearly two years of motorcycle only, I am back in a four wheeled vehicle. Only a blind person couldn't see a bright orange F150 and I am now one of the slowest people on the road next to a farm tractor (which I could probally fit in the bed).

The only way anyone can say I came out of nowhere is if I fly this F150 through a wormhole and into their living room.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:22 AM   #37
dirtrulz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Always like the old f150. At least you got the right color.
dirtrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:34 AM   #38
oldhondarider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerx2 View Post
I'm one of those people who doesn't believe in suing someone 'just because you can' but when they refuse to take responsibility and their only concern is for themselves... Let's just say I would find the most rabid ambulance chaser in the county and make her life hell.

*A little late in reading this thread... I have a good friend that was T-boned a car who turned left right in front of him... The officer didn't feel that it was a citable offense ( or that it was needed)...So he called the troopers while he was there and explained the situation...A trooper responded and cited the driver that the city cop didn't.

A citation and a aggressive atty was the answer in the case review is a definite advantage. as the guys insurance started the games about valuation, etc...quick settlement, yadda yadda... So the atty brings up the citation, real evaluation, med bills, physical therapy, etc..etc... tada...done.

It has been said that it's just the insurance battling it out... but IMHO both insurance companies want it to go away with the least amount of work. An atty insures that you might not get shorted (even if they take 33%....if they got you more than the quick settlement was...it was worth it) .

Just my 2cents.

Glad you are ok.
oldhondarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #39
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,256
A friend had an accident last year, driver's fault.

His experience was three parts:

The BIKE: The insurance companies pay a book value for the bike. You can tweak that if you have receipts for extras, but you won't get much more than what it is worth in their book.

The GEAR: They pay for your gear, helmet, clothes, backpack etc.

The INJURY: The third part was medical. He was told that was based on the number of doctor visits and extent of injury. This is where the large settlements come from.

Luckily we don't see accidents that often but the insurance companies see them every day and they want to solve them and move on.

The most important thing is getting your wrist back to normal. Heal quickly!!!!!
Old 10-29-2011, 05:11 AM   #40
Gateshutter
Exiled

Oddometer: 2,722
‎. . . . . . . . //)
. . . . . . . ./ ./
. . . . . . . /. . / this is for all the people
. . . . /`/'. .'// who don't look twice
. . . /'/. /. . /. . /. /\ and cut riders off
. . .('(. . . . . ./'. . '). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 10-29-2011, 08:48 PM   #41
Onederer OP
Crunch Nugget

It is going to be over another month before the doctor fully releases me and the medical compensation process can start. Until then, I am doing what the lawyer suggest and working on wrist exercises.

Once this is all over, I will post up what details I legally can, for the benefit of others who are in a similar situation. The driver wasn't cited, but the police report list "failure to yeild" on the drivers part as the casue of the wreck.

Me and a friend went to the firing range today but I didn't have any car shaped targets (Its a joke, I don't hate cars, just people in them. That is a joke too). Shooting a pistol left handed didn't work so well for me.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:16 PM   #42
Cowgirl
Cougar on the prowl

Oddometer: 3,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onederer View Post
See me now assholes?

I want it

Oh, sorry you got hurt, hope it all works out OK.

Now
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:32 PM   #43
Onederer OP
Crunch Nugget

My wrist is still sore and I grow more frustrated everytime I get back on the highway. The amount of distracted drivers is overwhelming and there are over 30,000 auto related deaths every year in the US. Would placing a large spike on top of the air bag cause people to focus on driving more since it would put their life at immediate and obvious risk?

At any rate, when I watch a particular Mel Gibson movie, I always think how well that paralells with the amount of killers on the highway even if they don't know it theirselves. Statistically, racing in Baja is likely safer.

Onederer screwed with this post 01-09-2012 at 04:34 AM Reason: It was crap
Old 01-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #44
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Quote:
The GEAR: They pay for your gear, helmet, clothes, backpack etc.
This may vary by company and by state. My Safeco policy depreciates the gear 10% per year, which is fair...a nine year old coat is worth less to me than a year old coat...max $500 for the helmet and max $1000 for everything including the helmet. More coverage may be available at higher cost.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #45
74Shovel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
I agree with you about making sure you carry the proper insurance coverage, especially when it comes to vintage motorcycles. I put $14,000 into rebuilding my old Shovelhead Harley, got it apraised, and then bought a "stated value" insurance policy it. The last thing I wanted was to get into a wreck and have the insurance company offer me "book value" for it (about $3,000). The irony is that I would have been better off wrecking it compared to what I got when I sold it the other year, let's just say if you have money it's a good time to invenst in vintage iron.

Here in Washington State motorcycles are not required to carry any insurance, which is absolutely stupid. You are at far greater risk of an accident, your fault or not, on a motorcycle.

I hope you're back on your bike soon!