Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2015, 10:34 AM   #1
snowball2 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Used Ducati Monster S2R

Hello

I'm thinking of getting a new bike and letting go my Dorsoduro 750. My initial thought was Monster, but after reading lot of reviews I'm also considering Triumph Street Triple. I haven't tested the Triple yet, but have sat on one and I know I would need to change a lower handlebars (or risers) for it. Monsters, at least the old ones have a riding position I'm after.

I'm buying used and these three bikes are the ones I'm mostly looking at the moment (that might change when new bikes come to the market if someone buys one of these)

Ducati Monster S2R 1000, 2006, 6800 €, 35000 km. Red with white wheels. Has Ducati Performance Race Kit (Termignoni system etc.) and some small adjustments. All the services are done in schedule.

Ducati Monster S2R 800, 2006, 5600 €, 24000 km. All black (used to be orange, but all the plastic parts are painted in black). Pretty much stock. Also well serviced.

Triumph Street Triple, 2008, 6400 €, 20000 km. Green. Arrow low-boy exhaust, power commander, ึhlins rear shock and front springs and lot of other stuff too.

The prices might seem high, but that's how it is in Finland.

The Triumph seems the smartest choice, but that's irrelevant with motorcycles. As I said, I haven't tested the Triumph yet, so it is hard to love it yet. I'm going to test it soon, so this might change. It looks good after I have used to the idea of twin head lights.

But what I know I like are the Monsters. I've always wanted one. I tested couple last summer (620 nand S4R) and now I want one even more. And that should be enough reason to get one. Also the red S2R is probably the best looking naked bike I know. The black one is cool on its way, but it would need some modifications to be really special. The stock exhaust is not the best looking.

I don't care of the HP differences between the bikes (at least at the moment). The S2R 800 would be the cheapest to insure and the 1000 the most expensive. The exhaust system and the color are the most important reasons I would like to choose the 1000 over the 800. The better brakes and suspension are also something to consider as are the gained power and torque of the 1000.

The only problem is the mileage on the red Monster. At least it feels like a problem. I don't know and that's why I'm writing here. Is the mileage too high? And is the price too high compared to the 800 or the Triumph? I've heard the air cooled engine is bullet proof, if serviced right and this is, but I have heard lot of things about Ducatis, so don't know what to believe.

Sorry this post got way too long, but it helps me think this through.
snowball2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:38 AM   #2
runpasthefence
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
You're right, the Triple is probably the right choice, but if a Duc rustles your jimmies, then that might just be what you need.

I think the S2R 1000 is the best Monster Ducati ever built. In the US, an S2R with that high of mileage would be priced pretty low. It's perceived as "high mileage" bike, but those 2v motors are very reliable. I've got the equivalent of 56,000km on mine that includes oversized pistons at a higher compression ratio. No problems. Still, I don't think I'd pay a premium for an S2R with over 10,000 miles, but I don't live in Finland, and it seems like we get a lot of great low-mile examples around here.

One thing to be mindful of, depending on when the S2R1000 was built, it might have been plagued by the valve guide issues Ducati had trouble with for a short time. Most were replaced under warranty, but I'd want to see that service record. Then again, I think some 06 bikes had updated valve guides installed, so you'd need to know the production number of the bike and cross reference it online or at a Ducati dealer.
runpasthefence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:53 AM   #3
snowball2 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Thanks for the reply!

I'm going to test the Triumph as soon as I can. If it's not what I want, then I have to decide on the Ducatis. Problem is we don't have too many of the S2R models here for sale. Not with low nor high mileage.
snowball2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:47 AM   #4
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 7,135
The S2R is going to be a nice work-out re: ease of riding after a smooth and
soft Dorsoduro. If you ever ride around town, I wouldn't do it.

Other then that, I love the Monsters from that era, would never buy one but
I love them, the S2R 1000 is on the top of my list. I also dig the DD very much
and I hate the damn EU prices.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:54 AM   #5
modular
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Triumph if you choose with your brain; Ducati if you choose with your heart. I had a Street Triple some years ago. Wicked bike. I had absolutely no complains about it.

I just bought a new Monster last week. Different machine, but oh boy... there is something special with this brand and specific model. I don't think I'll ever buy other brand after this.

Try to test drive both, but I would say Ducati.
modular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:09 PM   #6
Bongolia
stop acting

Oddometer: 17,364
Go with the street triple. Great engine. The S2R is the best looking monster by far but 2006 is soft valve guide year. The 800 is better than the thousand. I think the 1000 had clutch issues. Black paint? Been wrecked?
MG 850 LM Mk II Ducati 900 FE #301
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....ostcount=53377
Bongolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 04:03 AM   #7
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowball2 View Post

But what I know I like are the Monsters. I've always wanted one. I tested couple last summer (620 nand S4R) and now I want one even more. And that should be enough reason to get one. Also the red S2R is probably the best looking naked bike I know. The black one is cool on its way, but it would need some modifications to be really special. The stock exhaust is not the best looking.

I don't care of the HP differences between the bikes (at least at the moment). The S2R 800 would be the cheapest to insure and the 1000 the most expensive. The exhaust system and the color are the most important reasons I would like to choose the 1000 over the 800. The better brakes and suspension are also something to consider as are the gained power and torque of the 1000.

The only problem is the mileage on the red Monster. At least it feels like a problem. I don't know and that's why I'm writing here. Is the mileage too high? And is the price too high compared to the 800 or the Triumph? I've heard the air cooled engine is bullet proof, if serviced right and this is, but I have heard lot of things about Ducatis, so don't know what to believe.
The Ducati if you want to keep it, love it, fix it, and modify it. Which one is up to you. If you like it, you won't tire of it. You will probably end up modifying the suspension of either model if you keep it for long enough.

Those mileages are nothing to worry about. In fact, if the S2R has got to 35,000km and is not starting hard and blowing smoke on overrun, then I imagine any bad valve guides likely have been fixed.

However, it would not surprise me if the Triumph went, stopped and handled (much) better when you brought it home.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:26 AM   #8
texag10
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
I strongly encourage you to ride the street triple. It has character without the quirks. Mine is a willing companion whether I'm putting along in heavy traffic or enjoying the intoxicating triple wail above 8k rpm. The fueling is sorted and allows me to transition off and on throttle from 2k to redline.

That being said, if your heart desires the ducati, get the ducati.
texag10 is offline   Reply With Quote