User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 11:51 PM   #1
Vagabond_Explorer OP
Relax_Unwind_Chill

Oddometer: 113
One year with the Bimota Tesi 3D

After reading substantially about hub centre steering and the Bimota Tesi 3D, I decided to buy one to see if the technology is all that different to conventional forks.

Here’s the display bike when I saw it first at a bike show.

Here’s the bike when I took delivery, newly imported from Italy.

Here’s the GoPro shot of the front end

I love the bike. The ride feels different at first. It is around 150kg with many hand made components. The 1100 cc engine is very responsive, powerful and the whole bike is wheelie prone due to the short wheelbase and sheer brute horsepower, if you get aggressive with the throttle. The steering force is independent of the braking force and the front end is very strong.
Vagabond_Explorer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:05 AM   #2
stripple
Runnin' Hard

Oddometer: 468
More please!!
Old 07-15-2013, 02:39 AM   #3
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,026
Such a work of art!
Contevita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:26 AM   #4
Vagabond_Explorer OP
Relax_Unwind_Chill

This is the 2012 Evo model. It has greater steering lock (23 degrees) over the Bimota 2D (18 degrees). It also has a revamped front end. Pre Evo, the Tesi 3D had a pull rod hydraulic mechanism which was mounted low whereas this Evo model has a traditional spring over damper shock mounted directly on the front swing arm. This is supposed to make the swing arm more responsive in damping. "Tesi" of course, means thesis and it was Pierluigini Marconi's PhD thesis.

Here is the steering mechanism

Here is my friend's Bimota 2D which has some significant differences. You can see the different front ends.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:00 AM   #5
Low Budget
Stuck for now

Oddometer: 526
Absolute work of engineering art !!!

Nothing more mindblowing that Ducati powered limited build bikes ! Your 3D kinda takes on the Ducati Monster look with all the round frame tubes verses the box sectioned 2d chassis.

Any wild chance you have any experience or comparisons to the Vyrus ?
Low Budget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:44 AM   #6
brentde3
Should be outside

Oddometer: 528

If I ever won the lottery (which is unlikely because I never buy tickets ), that'd be the first thing I ordered. I've always loved those bikes.

Keep the pics and story coming, please!

IBA# 49512
brentde3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:12 AM   #7
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond_Explorer View Post
Here’s the GoPro shot of the front end

Subscribed!

Where are you located? What sort of riding do you do? Are you going to put it on the track?

Also, what does your insurance company think of the Bimota?

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:46 AM   #8
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 882
I would like one just to put up right in the middle of the shop..on a pedestal..so I would have to walk around it all day!
Gary
Some regard private enterprise as if it were a predatory tiger to be shot. Others look upon it as a cow that they can milk. Only a handful see it for what it really is - the strong horse that pulls the whole cart. - Winston Churchill
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:00 AM   #9
strongbad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentde3 View Post

If I ever won the lottery (which is unlikely because I never buy tickets ), that'd be the first thing I ordered...
Your chances of winning the lottery are no worse than those who buy the tickets.

How does the bike handle? No fork dive, I suppose. Do you need 40 acres to turn around? I sort of scratched Bimota off my short list after the VDue debacle. Well for that, and a few other things.
strongbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:01 AM   #10
Meter Man
Living on a prayer

Oddometer: 7,096
What country do you live in?
Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #11
lant5
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Insurance on my DB6 is very reasonable and surprisingly less expensive than the Street Triple and way less expensive than the VFR800 I insure.
lant5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #12
Vagabond_Explorer OP
Relax_Unwind_Chill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Budget View Post
Absolute work of engineering art !!!

Nothing more mindblowing that Ducati powered limited build bikes ! Your 3D kinda takes on the Ducati Monster look with all the round frame tubes verses the box sectioned 2d chassis.

Any wild chance you have any experience or comparisons to the Vyrus ?
Yes it is. I have a friend who's really into Picasso and classical music and he says the Tesi 3D is the engineering equivalent of a Picasso or of a beautiful painting! Never thought about the Ducati Monster equivalent, but you're right. Yes, I do have some experience with the Vyrus.

I am located in NSW, Australia. I think there is only one registered Tesi 3D in all of NSW. I am self insured with the bike. I do lots of sports riding, some adventure riding and intend to take the 3D on the track one day.

Hub centre steer has been around for awhile. It is supposed to improve performance by making the steering, braking and suspension forces all independent of each other. On conventional forks, under hard braking into a corner, the forks compress, stiffening up the steering and also shortening the wheelbase. This creates some instability and 'rolls' the bike if the forks bend under great deceleration. Here is a picture that I found useful in understanding the hub.

I bought a second set of Oz wheels with black rims - mainly because I didn't know if the bike would look sharper in gold or black rims. Also, I was afraid if I bend a rim on a pothole it might take some time for replacement ones to come from Italy.

There is almost no compression of the suspension under braking. The Ducati engine is mounted between 2 beautifully machined aluminium billets. At either ends are mounted the swing arms. The steering head of course, takes very little load as braking forces go straight into the bottom of frame.

In the real world the bike attracts many questions - both from the classically minded (technical) riders as well as romantically minded (their wives, g/f's, etc) ones - however I was at a small cafe a few months back when this young man asked to sit on my bike.

More about the technology, the various other Tesi's and Vyrus later.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:44 PM   #13
Low Budget
Stuck for now

Oddometer: 526
Keep it coming !

Dare I say the Bimota seems "conventional" in its chassis construction in comparison to the Vyrus ?

Its like comparing a Ferrari to a Lambo though..........either one is a italian mega masterpiece in its own right !
Low Budget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:15 PM   #14
third eye
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
just a little jealous over here......
third eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:26 PM   #15
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 721
Lord that is a beautiful machine.