User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2014, 05:16 PM   #1
Venteuri OP
I don't give a shit

Oddometer: 14,591
K1300r

Today while looking for a NineT at the dealer saw this beautiful monster! ... the NineT is too small for me and the suspension very hard.

This K1300R is only a $1000 bucks more! and has 173 HP

I'll love to hear any comments from current users... didnt find any recent thread about the bike.

http://www.bmw-motorrad.com.mx/mx/es...300_R_2013.pdf
KTM 990 ADV 07 sold Member #68,893
An exmilitary fast-jet pilot that is well aware of the challenges in keeping complex machines running, which owns and runs a string of aviation companies and teaches daily the management of complex engineering said: Above all stop pandering to posts from morons like Venteuri who can't even spell Venturi properly.

Venteuri screwed with this post 05-02-2014 at 06:23 PM
Venteuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:11 PM   #2
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,267
It has 173 Hp at the brochure. I have a K1200R and it makes 139 Hp at the rear wheel.

More importanter, the basic premise is enjoyable. The fuel injection, transmission and clutch on the 1200 are all mediocre but I think the 1300 improved a lot of it. You also get the ABS that will still stop if there is any electronical issue. I've done a few non stop 500 mile rides without discomfort. If you ride at speeds above 70 mph regularly, it will take a week or so for your neck muscles to strengthen.

For the most part, I've enjoyed my K1200R but I'd buy a Speed Triple next.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:50 PM   #3
Venteuri OP
I don't give a shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
It has 173 Hp at the brochure. I have a K1200R and it makes 139 Hp at the rear wheel.

More importanter, the basic premise is enjoyable. The fuel injection, transmission and clutch on the 1200 are all mediocre but I think the 1300 improved a lot of it. You also get the ABS that will still stop if there is any electronical issue. I've done a few non stop 500 mile rides without discomfort. If you ride at speeds above 70 mph regularly, it will take a week or so for your neck muscles to strengthen.

Thanks A, from what I've read seems like the 1300 is much improved.

I'm really lost of what bike I want, the Guzzi Griso, the California touring, a Triumph Boneville, or the new Thunderbirb LT, even the new R1200RT!

As mentioned the NineT is already out of the list.

This bike I liked, it's an urban that I can have luggage. Like my laptop to work.
The S3 is beautiful but not practical at all for side cases or trunk.

I'm waiting for BMW to offer me a test drive on the K1300R. I'm afraid it would be too much sport; I feel a cruiser will suit my mood better as I'm not in need of speed for now.

I want a bike with soul and character. I now a Tiger or a GS would be an ideal choice for what I want, but I'm looking for something different and not necessarily ideal.

I even like the Diave, but feel,it's too much $
An exmilitary fast-jet pilot that is well aware of the challenges in keeping complex machines running, which owns and runs a string of aviation companies and teaches daily the management of complex engineering said: Above all stop pandering to posts from morons like Venteuri who can't even spell Venturi properly.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:07 AM   #4
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post

You wouldent happen to have a 05-06 K1200R? The 07 and 08 K1200R those issues was fixed.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:16 AM   #5
ARiderX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
I had major issues with a K bike (k1300s) that I had for a few months (of which half were in the shop) I know that is not indicative and I was probably shit out of luck. Despite all of this, I still like the K bikes and what they aim for, and I would maybe own one again but I'd have to be 100% sure I'm not buying a lemon again!

It is about the only sportish kinda bike that will suit a 6'4" individual such as myself, that's why in the back of my mind they are still calling my name :)
Old 05-03-2014, 04:22 AM   #6
GSMarc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quick shifter is a "need to have"
2005 HP2E
2005 HP2E SM Prototype
GSMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 04:48 AM   #7
ARiderX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMarc View Post

that I agree with...
Old 05-03-2014, 08:02 AM   #8
Fundamental
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMarc View Post
+10 - A thing of beauty
Fundamental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:08 AM   #9
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,738
I demoed on a couple years back.

I wasn't looking for a beemer...like at all so I didn't really pay attention to what it actually was. I was expecting something like a GS.....and got a snarling beast....a MAJOR wake up call, no one warned me it had a big boy motor in it

It was comfy and all, but I didn't like the front end at all, just didn't feel right to be so I was very skittish with it (that and it not being my bike) Its a fucking missile though, that is for certain.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:18 AM   #10
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-Nor View Post
You wouldent happen to have a 05-06 K1200R? The 07 and 08 K1200R those issues was fixed.
2006. I would say that the issues weren't fixed since a friend had a 2007 K1200S that had them and another friend had two K1300GT's that BMW bought back under the lemon law due to fueling issues they couldn't fix. He finally bought a Yamaha FJ-R. The K1200S also needed a transmission, clutch and camshaft which were covered under the extended warranty. His current K1300S had the engine replaced under extended warranty due to cylinder wall damage. They had to find a used one because BMW couldn't come up with a short block.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:08 PM   #11
trevorf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venteuri View Post
Today while looking for a NineT at the dealer saw this beautiful monster! ... the NineT is too small for me and the suspension very hard.

This K1300R is only a $1000 bucks more! and has 173 HP

I'll love to hear any comments from current users... didnt find any recent thread about the bike.

http://www.bmw-motorrad.com.mx/mx/es...300_R_2013.pdf
I bought a brand new 2012 K1300R SE (carbon fibre edition) on Jan. 17th of this year. In four months I have put 11,000kms on it. This bike is brilliant in every way!! I just got back from a 6400kms in 9 days trip on it. # days were over 900km days. No problem. And I'm 48 so riding position is important. I was going to buy the S model but thought the position was too agressive. Make no mistake about this bike..it is a hooligan bike!
I have all the luggage for it too. On the trip a buddy rode hie 2011 concours and at EVERY fuel stop I had to put less fuel in them him. I had a custom leather seat made (stock is shit) and added a Laminar lip to the sport windscreen.
Fucking brilliant!! Too bad you yanks never got to experience this bike but I feel your pain as they are no longer bringing it to Canada either.

trevorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:50 PM   #12
Venteuri OP
I don't give a shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorf View Post
I bought a brand new 2012 K1300R SE (carbon fibre edition) on Jan. 17th of this year. In four months I have put 11,000kms on it. This bike is brilliant in every way!! I just got back from a 6400kms in 9 days trip on it. # days were over 900km days. No problem. And I'm 48 so riding position is important. I was going to buy the S model but thought the position was too agressive. Make no mistake about this bike..it is a hooligan bike!
I have all the luggage for it too. On the trip a buddy rode hie 2011 concours and at EVERY fuel stop I had to put less fuel in them him. I had a custom leather seat made (stock is shit) and added a Laminar lip to the sport windscreen.
Fucking brilliant!! Too bad you yanks never got to experience this bike but I feel your pain as they are no longer bringing it to Canada either.

Beautiful bike!

Thank you for the comments. I live in Mexico and they still sell it here.
In fact what has kept this bike in my list is that the dealer has a new 2013 with a big discount.... I'm also considering the R1200R, the R1200RT or the new Ducati 2015 Diavel.

How is it for urban or traffic driving? Clutch heavy? Nervous character? I'm worried that with that many Horses it won't like or behave in the city traffic.

Ps: is it too low? Would the bottom hit on speed bumps?

Venteuri screwed with this post 05-19-2014 at 10:05 PM
Old 05-19-2014, 10:10 PM   #13
trevorf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Beautiful bike!

Thank you for the comments. I live in Mexico and they still sell it here.
In fact what has kept this bike in my list is that the dealer has a new 2013 with a big discount.... I'm also considering the R1200R, the R1200RT or the new Ducati 2015 Diavel.

How is it for urban or traffic driving? Clutch heavy? Nervous character? I'm worried that with that many Horses it won't like or behave in the city traffic.
I ride my bike to work everyday. I am a rep for a drug and alcohol treatment centre. So I ride around the city most days seeing clients and referal agencies (and I even get paid milage to ride my bike) I was surprised to find out just how civilized this bike is.
I even use the quick shifter in town. You just have to get comfortable knowing when it likes to be used. I even two up ride with my wife with ease. And on the open road there is nothing like shifting a bike (no clutch) while on full throttle. Very addictive! Like I said, 11,000kms in 4 months.
Really consider this bike. Take one out for a spin. I bought mine without even seeing one in the flesh. Brought it in from a dealer from another Province. Nothing scarier than buying a 20,000 + bike without ever even sitting on one!
trevorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:36 AM   #14
Volfy
ADV Free

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
The S3 is beautiful but not practical at all for side cases or trunk.
FWIW, here's mine with SW Motech Alu Rack and V46. It will also carry my E55, but it starts to look out of proportion. No problem carrying laptop bag and lunch box. I'm working on a set of racks to fit my Givi V35's, but that's not off-the-shelf.

Too bad BMW doesn't bring the K-R stateside anymore. I do like the transverse I4 K-bikes a lot. Test rode a K1200S, a K1300S and a K1200R Sport. Liked the 1300S best. It might not look it, but it is quite a bit different bike than the 1200. I do like the fact that you can Givi V35's to the R and R Sport, but unfortunately not the S. The factory "expandable" panniers are too small to be practical for me.

Almost pulled the trigger on a Sun Burnt Orange '09 K1300S, but went with a VFR1200F in the end.

Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:40 AM   #15
Venteuri OP
I don't give a shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorf View Post
I ride my bike to work everyday. I am a rep for a drug and alcohol treatment centre. So I ride around the city most days seeing clients and referal agencies (and I even get paid milage to ride my bike) I was surprised to find out just how civilized this bike is.
I even use the quick shifter in town. You just have to get comfortable knowing when it likes to be used. I even two up ride with my wife with ease. And on the open road there is nothing like shifting a bike (no clutch) while on full throttle. Very addictive! Like I said, 11,000kms in 4 months.
Really consider this bike. Take one out for a spin. I bought mine without even seeing one in the flesh. Brought it in from a dealer from another Province. Nothing scarier than buying a 20,000 + bike without ever even sitting on one!
Wow. Thats love at first sight!

Great info. Thanks