User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
Jimmy the Heater OP
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,856
Question R1100RT vs R1150RT vs R1200RT

Went to the Spokane Motorcycle show last night and the GF and I sat on a R1200RT and fell in LOVE with the ergos. Perfect for both me and her. However the $$ on a new one is way out of range for me.

Do the previous gen of this series have the same approx seat/bar/peg relationship for the rider and seat/peg relationship for the pillion? Any major differences in stock seat comfort between the models?

Thank you in advance
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,684
The stock seats on the 1100 and 1150 are terrible for comfort.. The BMW Comfort seat is even worse, both seats slide you on the jewels and you'd need to get an aftermarket shim kit to raise the front of the seat which alleviates the problem. The stock 1200 is not a torture rack, but then again, it doesn't come close to the comfort of a custom seat such as the Russell Day Long which I had on my bike. The 1200RT is a better bike in every regard, especially the brakes. The 1150 has fully linked power assisted (servo) brakes.. you can't even brake the rear by itself as you can on the 1200.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
Jimmy the Heater OP
Tilting the Horizon

Thanks GB for the input....looking for other bikes with similar ergos now too.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:33 PM   #4
Des
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
Have a play on this site, it might help to draw up a shortlist of bikes to try.

http://cycle-ergo.com/
Des is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:01 PM   #5
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 920
Keep in mind that everyone's ass perceives seats differently. Unlike GB, I love the BMW Comfort Seat on my 1150RT. And I almost always hate stock seats and almost always replace them. Everything from Rick Mayer to Sargent, etc. Sometimes the pain doesn't manifest itself until about 2 hours into a day-long ride.

Long story short, don't make a decision based solely on the seat comfort (positional ergos aside). They're easy and relatively inexpensive to replace with something a lot better if necessary.
sturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:40 AM   #6
Jimmy the Heater OP
Tilting the Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des View Post
Have a play on this site, it might help to draw up a shortlist of bikes to try.

http://cycle-ergo.com/

Now that is frakkin brilliant right there! Exactly what I was looking for!

I've had very very poor luck with the stock seat and any replacements that I've found for my SV1000n. Will certainly keep that in mind :)
Old 03-15-2011, 11:03 AM   #7
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,684
You could spend money on airhawk, sheepskin, beads, this and that and spend a small fortune.. or get a Russell Day Long custom seat built to your physique and have day long comfort.

Remember, if you end up with an 1100 or 1150 RT, you still need to raise the front of the seat mounts with "seat jacks". I might still have mine, you can have them, IF I can find them. (and that's a big IF ). When I did a custom seat on my RT, I was still sliding forward and crushing the jewels, until I used the seat jacks. You could make them yourself, you'll just need longer fasteners and some sort of solid spacer material, the seat jacks are made of hard plastic, like the one used in kitchen cutting boards, but not that thick.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:47 AM   #8
elementalg20
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 782
I'm hoping some more of the merits of each of these bikes gets brought about in this thread. I'm wanting something in the way of a ligther two up tourer, and like the OP I think an R1200RT might be my dream bike but it's way out of my $$$ reach. I'm heavily considering an FJR, but I'd like to see how the RT's all stack up to each other was well, usually best to have multiple options when watching the almighty $.
elementalg20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:59 PM   #9
Ray R
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
I've owned all three, with a 2007 R12RT being in the stable now. I don't know that I agree with GB's comment that each new model is light years ahead of the older generation. I think they were all great bikes. Indeed, each new model did correct some of the niggles I had with the previous one. For example, I had surging issues with the 1100, and the '04 1150 conquered that with its dual plug setup. But I hated the servo brakes on the 1150, and my '07 1200 got rid of those. The only complaint I have about the 1200 is the looks. Those older gen bikes were works of art. But since I don't look at the bike while I'm riding, the 1200 is a keeper for me. As for ergonomics, all three fit my 6'4" frame pretty well. But I did make some mods to each bike to suit me....Like the seat, pegs, and windscreen on all three. As for power and handling, yeah, each newer gen was a little better. But not enough that I would discard any of them for those reasons alone. My advice, if you have limited funds, would be to find the right bike at the right price for you, no matter which gen it is. Hold back a few bucks to get the bike fitted to your frame...seat....pegs.....windscreen...whatever is necessary. Then get out there and ride...and ride.....and ride......and ride.......
Old 03-16-2011, 06:25 PM   #10
leeinmemphis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,101
I don't have any experience with the 1100 but I currently have an '02 1150rt and an '09 GS1200. I purchased the rt last fall because it was the only motorcycle that I ever sold and totally regretted letting go. I do have to admit though when I get on the GS I often wonder why I have both because the GS has a fantastic motor with less vibration and more power. I am using the RT to commute to work(~80 miles per day) and still enjoy it but it isn't anywhere the motorcycle the 1200 is(in my eyes at least).
'06 Honda Silver wing
'86 Honda Elite 150 Deluxe
leeinmemphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:32 PM   #11
Mr.Goose
Velvet Steamroller

Oddometer: 1,230
Well said. I like the 1150 seat the best of these three. The 1100 5 speed is my favorite trans, and the 1200 is the best motor yet...

Get the nicest one you can afford and just do barbax and a seat as needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeon View Post
Keep in mind that everyone's ass perceives seats differently.

Long story short, don't make a decision based solely on the seat comfort (positional ergos aside). They're easy and relatively inexpensive to replace with something a lot better if necessary.
Mr.Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:53 PM   #12
BMR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
All seats feel different for different riders. It may be perfect for you, so those blanket statements about seats being uncomfortable are not always true.
BMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:29 PM   #13
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,325
I ride my father's 1100RT from time to time... I toured around Japan for a week on a 1200RT... evolution... they all have their merits... all are great motorcycles... buy the best condition version you can that fits your budget and tastes... there is so much support, options and adjustments that can be made, you just have to find the one that excites you and make it your own...

brilliant machines...
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:41 AM   #14
Haroon
RIDE for PASSION

Oddometer: 543
I have owned & ridden the 1100RT for a long time and then rented a 1200RT for our Alps ride, so I can give a few personal insights on these 2 bikes. I don’t have experience on the 1150RT, but I know it had few improvements over the 1100, but otherwise remained almost same in the handling & riding departments.

As for the 1100, it was a great bike and in the 50,000 odd kms I did on it, the bike needed very little maintenance. It was a heavy bike, but otherwise, it had a reasonably powerful engine for 2-up riding, excellent wind protection, satisfactory brakes (not the greatest), good handling, simpler technology (relatively! which means a good street smart mechanic could easily work on the bike), good road presence and overall an enjoyable bike to ride.

The cons (for the records), Yes, the seat was terrible and after about an hour in the saddle, I needed a butt break. The hazard switch on the dashboard meant, in an emergency, I had to take my hands off the handlebar and press the switch on the dashboard!! While 2-up riding needed reasonable work on the twisties/switchbacks due to its weight. My cousin dropped it once while parked posing for a picture and with side protruding engine the valve cover had a nice hair-line crack and needed replacement. Rear tire life (Bridgestone) was max 9k kms. Engine surging between 3500-4000rpm when it felt like a little hesitant, but that surprisingly vanished after crossing the 30,000 km mark. Replacing the battery meant pulling out literally the whole left side of the bike and a few tit-bits- Frankly a real PITA. Without disconnecting the battery cant leave the bike unused for more than 3 weeks(could be specific to my bike, not sure. My friends V-Strom would fire up even after 6 weeks of non-use). Manually bleeding the brake fluid needed a big effort.

The 1200RT is a generation ahead on technology. Its lighter and handles a lot better. I personally found it more nimble than my 1100RT on all the twists & turns in the Alps. The seat was very comfortable for me & wife as compared to the 1100RT. The engine definitely had more punch in almost all the gears and the 6th gear made a marked difference for smooth highway cruising (the 1100 being a 5 gear bike). The hydraulic clutch needed less effort as compared to the cable on the 1100. The brakes are definitely a big advancement from those on the 1100. The windshield is really huge and did a great job in freezing temperatures & light rain. The on-the-fly electronic suspension adjustment is a nice feature. The sidecases have a much easier locking/unlocking mechanism, but can scratch easily from your boot on the top corner if you are not careful getting on/off the bike. At close to 6ft tall, I found the seat/bar/peg relation almost similar on both bikes, but somehow felt the 1200 seat was a little bit higher than the 1100 (maybe its just me).

The cons (if you can call them), this thing has a lot of technology and if some of the electronics go wrong, its nice to have a good BMW dealer close to home! My one personal gripe about this bike is the positioning of the new turn signal switch (which for now BMW has made into one single unit like the remaining biking world). The left turn switch was a long reach for my thumb with a thick gloves as the audio system volume control ring takes up some space in between thus making it a far stretch for my left thumb to reach the indicator switch. Ofcourse only used the 1200RT for 7 days, so maybe some more practice would have solved that problem.

Overall the 1200RT is a great bike, but I found my 1200GS the most enjoyable bike I have owned so far (solo or 2-up riding). If I ever go back to sport touring, this time around I prefer a smoother in-line four engine. And with the K1300GT being discontinued, I may put my money on a Kawi GTR1400 (I think an unused 09 bike in US can be had for US$ 10,000).

Exploring the world on 2-wheels...little at a time
RIDE for PASSION

www.rideforpassion.com

Haroon screwed with this post 03-18-2011 at 09:57 PM
Haroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:07 PM   #15
Jimmy the Heater OP
Tilting the Horizon

Thank you very much for the responses. Most enlightening.

I used the ergo calculator and found several bikes to look at with similar riding positions. The VStrom is actually almost identical in seat/bar/peg relationship. We found one yesterday and sat on it, almost perfect. The R1200 is still a tiny bit better and will be a long term goal but right now I'm looking for a 1000 Strom to tide us over.