User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2014, 08:39 PM   #1
Keithert OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
bikes with large passenger seats

My wife wants to start riding with my more. The problem is that we are too cramped on most bikes. On my V-Strom or Vulcan 1500 we are just too close for comfort. We've looked at new Gold Wing and that is fantastic for passenger comfort. I'm just not 100% sure I want a Gold Wing. What other bikes have massive passenger accommodations?
Keithert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:52 PM   #2
ken robert
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Same story from my wife only year y2k. Wife says she wants to travel. I do not fit a GW, it sits to low for me. I brought home a new K1200LTC. The wife told anyone who would listen how comfortable her heated "big girl" seat was. We put 98k on the bike. Only sold it because grandma said she was now done riding.
ken robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:40 AM   #3
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,846
I too had a BMW K1200LT and the passenger accommodations are indeed generous with a 2 position rear trunk in the back position.

However I did not have a good ownership experience with it. 2 failed final drives, a cranky alarm, and other assorted niggles. Sold it after putting less than 6k on it.

A few bikes I would look at would be--
Victory Vision-Love it or hate it styling, but the most comfortable 2up bike I have ever been on.
Yamaha Royal Star Venture-While the passenger is really elevated in relation to the rider, making for some "interesting" low speed handling, there really is a LOT of space back there. Also the carbed V4 is no slouch in the power dept.
Have also heard good things about the Honda Valkyrie Touring, tho I have never ridden one.

One bike to avoid in regards to passenger space is the Harley touring series. I rode an 08 Road King and an 09 Electra Glide Ultra with my Dad on the back and he was miserable on both. He is NOT a big guy either at 5'7 and 150. His legs kept getting driven into the saddlebags leaving bruises and the backrest was not far enough back when the riders seat had a backrest installed for me.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:47 AM   #4
TrojanThunder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
bikes with large passenger seats

How about the Honda F6b, not quite a Goldwing,but plenty of passenger room, the Victory Cross Roads or Cross Country have good pillion seats to, here is my Cross Roads
TrojanThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:43 AM   #5
Keithert OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
The cross country and cross roads are appealing. My local Victory dealer is having an open house this weekend. I'll have to check it out. Your bike is beautiful!
Keithert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:58 AM   #6
scapegoat
Pushin forward back

Oddometer: 2,861
Electra Glide/Road Glide with a tour pack. The king of wide with somewhat wrap around back support. If your wife has reservations about falling off or feeling unattached this did the trick for my wife
Old 05-16-2014, 06:00 AM   #7
hyena
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
A couple years ago I was looking at getting something a little more comfortable for 2 up with my girlfriend. One of the bikes we tried was the K1200LT. This particular used one had Bill Mayer custom seats fore and aft. I measured the total seat space, and if my memory is correct it was about 2 inches longer than my GS. Or maybe it was 4 inches. It was significant. As we were riding, I yelled over my shoulder "how is it" and got back "wooooonderful". We rode it for well over an hour, highway and city. I almost pulled the trigger on it. What stopped me was I didn't want an 800 pound bike with 6 layers of plastic, and the dealer 3 hours away. I've always been glad I didn't get that bike.

What I did was get Russell Day Long seats front and back, and a Pirates Lair Stealth backrest for her. It really transformed the GS, and now it's very comfortable for us. For reference, I'm 6'2", 205, she is 5'8", average build.

I'm looking at moving away from BMW, to find something with local dealer support. (And a fuel gauge that doesn't require regular trips to the dealer for replacement.) So far I haven't found anything better than my GS.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:00 AM   #8
131unlimited
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
One bike to avoid in regards to passenger space is the Harley touring series. I rode an 08 Road King and an 09 Electra Glide Ultra with my Dad on the back and he was miserable on both. He is NOT a big guy either at 5'7 and 150. His legs kept getting driven into the saddlebags leaving bruises and the backrest was not far enough back when the riders seat had a backrest installed for me.

131unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:05 AM   #9
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,993
for a big guy, I would think the Victorys would work well. Vision, Cross Roads, Cross Country. They have long floor boards so you can move your feet around. I think the Vision is a bike ahead of it's time. The more research you do on this bike, the better you will like it.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:20 AM   #10
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,166
I've had GL1800, ST1300, FJR 1300, etc...

The two most comfortable bikes (my wife sez) - were the '12 Guzzi Stelvio NTX (w/ Givi topbox), and '06 Roadliner w/ backrest.

The Roadliner put a lot of space between us and had a comfortable seat/backrest - the most room she's had.

The Stelvio NTX was her favorite - plenty of room and the seat was shaped such that she wasn't constantly fighting sliding forward.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:58 PM   #11
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,846
I knew I would get flak for my Road King/Electra Glide experience, but I swear it's true.

Road King Length=97 inches
Vision Length=106.5 inches

No that doesn't specifically say how big the passenger seat is but when a bike is 9 inches shorter, that difference has got to come out somewhere. I bet at least a few inches of it is in that passenger seat.

I am NOT Harley bashing either. I really did enjoy my ride on those two bikes. While a lil anemic, they rolled down the highway with a relaxed ease that just eats miles like no other bike. Extremely light handling for such a big bike, etc. However the passenger accommodations just don't work well and that is what the OP was asking about.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 02:25 AM   #12
DFH
270 deg crank

Oddometer: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
I've had GL1800, ST1300, FJR 1300, etc...

The Stelvio NTX was her favorite - plenty of room and the seat was shaped such that she wasn't constantly fighting sliding forward.
+1 on Stelvio or Super Tenere 1200

ADV tourers are the way to go as both rider & pillion have plenty of peg to seat distance. Other choice would be BMW R1200RT, very large seats on a bike way lighter & with much better dynamics than a GoldWing.

Steer clear of cruiser based "touring" bikes as pillion comfort suffers considerably from short-travel & unsophisticated suspension. All the sponge in the world cannot make up for suspension crash through….
Old 05-17-2014, 04:13 PM   #13
Crilly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
The 14 ultras, limiteds have more passenger room then before.
Crilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:06 PM   #14
lfmn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crilly View Post
The 14 ultras, limiteds have more passenger room then before.
There is also a kit to set the tour pac further back.

2007 Harley Fatboy
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
lfmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:04 PM   #15
elementalg20
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
I can't quite get over the styling on the Vision but some how I still think I'll end up owning one some day....

Gone...1998 Triumph Trophy 1200 2000 KTM Adventure 640, 1994 BMW R1100RS, 2002 BMW K1200RS,1999 VFR800, 1996 VFR750, 1985 Maxim X, 198x 250LTD
elementalg20 is offline   Reply With Quote