User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2011, 03:05 PM   #1
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,499
Trails of the West 2011 - CO, UT, ID, NV, WY, MT

Just got back from a solo trip of approximately 2,900 miles over 14 days. It was a tremendous trip and as you can see from the route below heavy with history which I love.

Here is the overall of the route.

Oleary and Toyman are on a similar route without the trip west to the Salt Lake area. We had all originally planned on riding to gether but scheduels got in the way and I ended up having to leave a week earlier. Here is a link to their report.

Want to give a big shout out to fellow ADV'r Jjustj for letting me park my vehicle at his place for the two weeks I was on the trail. Thanks Jay!! Also to Docking Pilot for his track file and waypoints, thanks Frank!

Day 1

Started the route out in Dillon, CO. and headed North on the CDR route which I had ridden in 09 to intercept my intended route.

Went pretty much as expected this first day and once on the route that would loop West to Salt Lake then around North into Montana I stared to see a lot of new country. Came up on this water crossing and a fella was sitting near by trout fishing. I looked over the water and it was work able so went across only to find it much deeper than I thought but made it just fine.

Some great Ranch's out here too.

Roads turned into dirt and got more interesting as I went on. Beautiful country.

The day was going well when I came up to this.
Turns out the detour was just fine but not on my Garmin maps. Joined back up later with the planned route and was back on track.

Stopped for a quick brake and the WR waits all loaded down for two weeks on the trail.

More of this beautiful country.

As already mentioned, a lot of fast water and great trout fishing in the area.

Wasn't long after and I pull into Meeker, Co. for the night anxious for what might await me tomorrow.

Pretty long day for the first day.

Tomorrow would find me entering the Dinosaur National Monument and I could not wait to see it! Stay tuned.........

10Cup screwed with this post 09-23-2011 at 07:52 AM
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 2.

Got up early due to the warm temps and wanted to get my 200 miles I had planned on average for each day before it got really hot. Temps were forecast in the 90's for late afternoon.

Ridding was great and the roads and scenery this morning were already looking up!

Wasn't long and the roads get better and better.....

Hour or two later and I hit the first of my goals for the day!

I ride up on an old homestead that was in great shape and read about the Chew family.........this site served three generations of Chews and they were one of the very first families to settle here before the area became the current DNM!

The old wagon was in pretty good shape all things considered too.

They had built a series of storage drawers inside the wagon.

There were several cool out buildings too.

Some old tools .......

After that I ride on and come to what I soon found out was the "GEM" of the DNM.........Echo Park!

Very cool camp sites too! Shade, water and fire rings, best of the best.

Topped off my camel back prior to leaving and found that I needed my new in-line filter........man is this thing great! Best new piece of equipment I brought on this trip! See it here.

I then headed on out of the park as it was only about 11:30 and too early to stop for the day, I wanted to see the Petroglyph's I had seen signs about on the way in. Here is a interesting "hole in the rock" I see on the way out too.

I see some more beautiful vistas on the way out. Little did I know what lay in store for me before I finish this day out!

Had a long steep rocky/rutted down hill descending down into the valley of the DNM. Once on the floor the temps shot up and the roads got sandy, then the dirt turned to "silt" about 6 - 10" deep and was very difficult riding. Problem was I had several miles of this to go before I exited the DNM. With about a mile to go the mighty WR decides to take a nap!

Now this by itself is not a big deal but the silt was like flour and just filled up everything, I got up and was rust colored from head to toe. Got the bike up and cleaned the rest of this nasty section but by end of day had to wash my cloths, the bike and change the air filter.....what a mess!!

I stop to take a quick picture of the DNM on the way out.

Didn't get my 200 miles in today but rode hard and saw some fabulous scenery.

10Cup screwed with this post 11-05-2013 at 04:09 PM
Old 09-03-2011, 07:35 PM   #3
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,656
Hey 10 Cup

I'm in on this one-----looks like your route might have taken you over a special bridge near Dinosaur ???

Mark
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:08 PM   #4
njoytheride
NJOYN' THE JOURNEY

Oddometer: 827
Mike, thanks so much for taking the time for the RR. Glad your back home safe. Echo canyon pics brought back lots of great memories. That road dust can get into places you didn't know you had.... Ok, ready for the next installment...
njoytheride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:01 PM   #5
selaznog
Avoiding pavement

Oddometer: 2,533
Subscribed!
selaznog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:46 AM   #6
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hey thanks for the replys on the report, just getting started really. Mark bridge coming up..

10Cup screwed with this post 09-05-2011 at 07:19 AM
Old 09-04-2011, 07:04 AM   #7
Copperjohn1962
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Hey Mike, Thanks for taking us along.The new helmet cam is awesome! I'm looking forward to more of the RR.

Subscribed!
Old 09-04-2011, 07:07 AM   #8
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperjohn1962 View Post
Hey Mike, Thanks for taking us along.The new helmet cam is awesome! I'm looking forward to more of the RR.

Subscribed!
Thanks CJ! For some reason the GPS portion did not record on this initial video but it is on the rest of them. I think you'll like that feature too.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:00 AM   #9
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 3..

After leaving the Dinosaur National Monument I stayed overnight in Vernal, UT. Today my route took me into the Flaming Gorge, but first I would cross a very cool suspension bridge! I would be camping out tonight as well in a place called Henry's Fork.

Great ridding right off and the colors were fantastic as you can imagine.

Rode down into some narrow tree lined trails, it was great! Cool morning out too so I was really enjoying this morning.

High canyon walls all around and full of color!

I ride on for a while and see on my GPS a waypoint for a suspension bridge coming up.....sure enough there it is!

And it's open.....this is gonna be fun.

As soon as I leave the bridge however, the riding gets tougher. Miles of deep pea gravel and I had my work cut out for me for quite a while.

The first thing I hit when getting to the Flaming Gorge is the Dam, it was very cool and huge!

No water moving through today though.

The reservoir on the other side of the dam. Some fishing boats working the area too.

As I leave I see another bridge that was cool but not as cool as the suspension bridge. Beautiful though.

I continue on after the dam and find some Harley Riders holding me up. We end up going to the same area and I get to know them, nice guys just real slow

I walk out to the rim to take some more pictures while the Harley guys get their bikes put away...........

After that I ride out and head toward Henry's Fork. Here are a few shots on the way. Beautiful country.

It's getting late in the day and I'm tired and ready to find a place to rest. I finally get to Henry's Fork and find it is a trail head for those of the Equine persuasion. Good camp site just no showers............ugh... but I have three buddies to keep me company all night.

After some quick work with my jetboil and some chow I turned in before it was even dark. No problem sleeping at all. Sorry, no video today

The days stats.

10Cup screwed with this post 09-05-2011 at 07:22 AM
Old 09-04-2011, 08:18 AM   #10
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,149
Rr

Looks like some great riding--enjoying the report--keep it coming.
On that water crossing--Maybe it was like the one below from my CDR trip in 09. A guy going north told me to "stay left" when crossing it--well I was going south and didn't "translate" left and right--yep it was a bit deep in places

Old 09-04-2011, 08:25 AM   #11
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

HA, yeah that looks like it! The crossing was fine but it had a deep pocket in it and was a surprise!
Old 09-04-2011, 10:54 AM   #12
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Oddometer: 2,280
Good stuff Mike. Hmmm! Those first three days look quite familiar. You do have some photos of some places we didn't see. That video camera is great and lots of good history. I guess I am in too much of a hurry to see what is around the next bend that I don't spend enough time seeing what is right in front of me. I think back on some of the events that I didn't take photos of and it makes me wonder what I was thinking at the time. I look forward to seeing the western route. Outstanding photos.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.
OLEARY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:03 PM   #13
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks Oleary, always good to see another perspective. Goes both ways for sure.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:24 PM   #14
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 4.....
Got up early broke camp and headed West.

Had a few miles to cover today and got into some re-routes too. Found out later that the route I had planned had been changed due to the ATV Rock Gardens I got into. Was fun for about seven of the twelve miles and then became obvious that the route was not going to be passable so I had to re-route and join up later. For some reason the pictures I took of this section were nowhere to be found.....bummer.

Ended up going on through the very large Hardware Ranch and riding some very sketchy cow path's until finally connecting with a better road.
Did see this very cool water fall on the way.

Pulled into Lehi, UT early afternoon and found a room. I was in high heat so had changed my riding to leaving at first light then pulling off by 1-2pm when the temps hit the mid 90's. Worked real well and gave me time to service the bike, wash clothes and down load pictures/tracks/videos. Today was no exception.

Days stats..
Old 09-04-2011, 03:21 PM   #15
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 5....The Pony Express Route!

Riding this portion of the route was one of the highlights of why I wanted to go this far West and I was really looking forward to seeing the old way stations and reliving some of the history of what these brave men did. I was not disappointed!

Got up early again and started riding at first light, topped off my fuel as this would be one of the longer legs of my trip at over 200 miles into Wendover, UT where I planned to spend the night.

First stop was at the Simpson Springs station. I had planned on camping here during initial planning but it was just too hot

More pictures of the Simpson Springs way station.

What is left of the original rock building before being rebuilt across the road.

After Simpson Springs, time to put in some miles. It was only about 10am but already was getting hot.

I come up on a heard of wild horses (that were not so wild ) and found a couple stopped filming them from the road.
I stopped to visit and found the women was from England and her friend was from Montana. Visited some then headed back out on the trail.

OK, were outta here...

Doesn't look any cooler up ahead either...

My route would take West and North to Gold Hill and then into Nevada before circling back into UT.
I went by several way stations and stopped to take a picture of each one. Very cool.

In the mean time I come up on what is referred to as "Gold Hill" couldn't see anything real special about it but the color.

Continuing on now just to stay cool, it was hot.....lots more of this.

Starting to see more Salt........

Yet another way station, each was numbered, I think this might have been 90 if I recall correctly.

Then I come up on the Boyd Station that was well marked and still had some of the building left.

Saddled up and rode on.....to yet another site, complete with gun ports still visible in the old rock building. I looked around and had to wonder what it would have been like to ward off an Indian attack while trying to protect yourself and the Pony Express horses.

OK, time to get into Wendover and find a cool place! Off I go.

Found a room and unsaddled the WR and then decided to take a quick trip out to the Bonneville Salt Flats which is nearby. The races had just concluded this past week and the bikes were coming next week!

The WR felt wonderfully light without it's heavy tail bag, heck maybe I'll go for a land speed record..........
OK, so I find a kid that was real knowledgeable about what was going on and find out that yes I can ride out on the race course......hell yeah!

OK so I open up the might WR and I think I saw 450 mph once!! My eyes were kind of blurry so I could have been off one digit.......

I got off and looked around half expecting to see a rocket bike go
shooting past. Very cool but I wouldn't want to get stranded out here.....

OK enough fun, I head on back to the hotel to clean the salt off my bike and relax, my day is done.

Stats... (guess I was wrong on the top speed deal )

10Cup screwed with this post 11-05-2013 at 05:40 PM