User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2009, 01:33 AM   #1
Savoir-Faire OP
Powered by Hate

Oddometer: 861
Cathardic Drift: From Chicago, North and West

This will be my first ride report. It is a story of drifting north and west from Chicago. The nature of this journey is self reflective, as is all journeys that are undertaken alone. To me this is inherently selfish, but I cannot avoid that any longer.

I feel I have lived my whole life in service to others. I have been thinking that perhaps now, I should start living for myself. It is my intent to weave together music, photography, and storytelling into an entirety, using artistry to link together emotion and meaning in an effort to express how I feel. It will be negative, dark, and hopeful all at the same time -- just like real life. It is my wish that you follow along with me in an effort to better understand yourself and this nation we live in.

Be advised that engagement on a personal level will be difficult and I may not respond to questions. The written word bows to no one and nothing, particularly the pretense that it is worth saying. Remember that to me, the greatest conceit is thinking that we, as individuals, are important. By its very nature this ride report is navel gazing at best; self-hatred at worst. An effort at self-understanding is nothing to be proud of. Regardless, you witness this effort; perhaps subscribing, perhaps not. Maybe we can all gain something from it.

I promise nothing beyond details of a trip. Chicago to Northern Wisconsin, then across Minnesota to South Dakota and Wyoming. Hopefully, some will engage me in my both my philosophical and civic thoughts. I am not fun, nor will I ever will be (or so I have convinced myself). I likely drink too much, am prone to moodiness and excessive privacy, am too opinionated despite my open mindedness and willingness to listen and, most significantly of all, am concerned with the feelings of others to the detriment of my own.

Now that that is said, enjoy.

P.S. Anything I reference will be worth viewing/listening. This first one is very important to understand. You'll just have to trust me.

(aside: The girl who stars in the short video is Sofia Coppola)

Savoir-Faire screwed with this post 02-14-2011 at 11:58 PM Reason: Attempt at embed
Savoir-Faire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:19 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,850
That's quite the introspective report intro

Looking forward to your ride
Old 09-27-2009, 05:16 PM   #3
Savoir-Faire OP
Powered by Hate

Day 1

I am of the opinion that you shouldn't plan a trip too much. A little bit is ok, but if something goes awry you're usually in a spot if you have hotel reservations or a defined destination. Even leaving is indefinite to me. Wait for good weather, launch, achieve escape velocity with a long, fast first day. Then relax for the rest of the trip.

(Aside: there will be excerpts from my trip diary. I will not edit them, except to redact names or insert an implied meaning or reference using brackets)

In the weeks before departure, I made some modifications. New heavyweight fork oil was the most important part. I had purchased a chrome front end and the street glide wheels off eBay the previous winter, and put the new tires on. Unfortunately, when I rebuilt the forks I put the seals in upside down. Take it apart, do it over again, and good as new.

Working on your own stuff is a way toward completeness as a man. I have been thinking more and more how Americans are losing touch with everything. People who work with their hands aren't very respected, it seems. That's funny to me because I meet real estate agents and stock traders and they offer little to society in terms of value, while a plumber and a chairmaker have elaborate, intricate knowledge and are thought of as being unintelligent. Simultaneously, the former think themselves inordinately more important than the latter, and are unafraid to show it.

So August 12th dawned a beautiful day. 70F, clear and sunny. I was already all packed up. Coffee, some oatmeal, a lot of water and then a departure once traffic lightens up.

Yeah, it's a Harley. I can hear the hard-core ADV'ers clicking away now. I'm an unemployed 30 year old student with no debts aside from school loans and the bike. No kids, no wife, no ex-wife, no girlfriend, minimal bills, no fancy electronics and no GPS. I've owned a lot of bikes, but given that I like to tour, this is what I settled on. It really changed the way I ride and I couldn't be happier with it.

Since I live near the loop in Chicago, it's kind of silly to get an early start on a weekday as the routes out of town are inevitably jammed. SO I finished, threw my gear on and headed out at 12 noon into...traffic. Stupid traffic. Even out in Rockford there was construction. Ergh. I'm trying to make it to Hayward, Wisconsin by the end of the day. I shouldn't have a problem, I'm thinking.

The bike has other ideas however. I first noticed a clicking of sorts. Just heard, not felt, but it was rhythmic. Strange. I had but 500+ miles on the bike after doing the suspension work and there were no problems. I put it down to being between concrete jersey barriers and the construction reflecting the sound back to me. No big deal.

On the I-90 tollbooths it is getting progressively worse. A clattering from the transmission is coming on acceleration from a stop. First tollbooth, no good. Second tollbooth, worse. 3rd tollbooth, I get no acceleration and just pull over. Great.

-----Excerpt from trip diary:------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 12th, 2009 - 2:15 pm

Not a very auspicious start to this trip. I broke down at the Illinois/Wisconsin border with some transmission / drivetrain problem. I'm fairly sure that it is unrelated to the work I did with the wheels. There is no tension on the rear belt, and the trans is clunking as I try to drive forward. I hope the primary is good and pray it is just the belt that stretched too much and is failing. I don't have the tools to fix it much, so the dealer's tow is en route.

The only good come from this is that it reinforces my bringing food and water even though I believed it unnecessary [for this leg]. If I was roadside instead of at a tollbooth, it would be a lifesaver. At least I was prepared.

-------End excerpt----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As it turned out, the problem was that I had not tightened down my axle nut enough. I followed the torque specs in the service manual, but the mechanics told me in the future to just crank on it more. Nice to know the service manual is inaccurate. Oh well, no crying over spilt milk. I know for the future. The dealership was nice and got me back on the road quick, with minimal charges. The tow was $100 and the fix was $20. Ah well.

I got back on the road after getting towed to Rockford and started north again. I have a rule about not riding after dark, so we'll see how far I get.

Savoir-Faire screwed with this post 09-28-2009 at 02:07 PM
Old 09-29-2009, 02:43 PM   #4
Savoir-Faire OP
Powered by Hate

-----Excerpt from Trip Diary----------------------------------------------

August 12th, 2009 - 9:26pm

I was able to make up some time and make it to Black River Falls, Wisconsin. I should make Hayward tomorrow around noon if I leave early enough. Thank God it was just the belt adjust that came loose.

As you drift more North, the flat plains of Illinois give way to hillier, more forested land. The corn is no longer in vast endless fields; instead, the smaller plots are fitted in somewhat haphazardly amongst the trees and stony bluffs. Eventually, once far enough North, the heavy hardwoods give way to birch and evergreens giving off a piney haze at sunset.

Walking back from supper in the black that is night in this rural area, I found myself thinking of how urbanized we have become. This nation has forgotten that the rural members of society are still there. All the problems I hear addressed on the national level all have solutions based on urban ideas. Mass transit and anti-gun laws just don't work out here.

That same urbanization has given way to a lot of fear. People are afraid of the outdoors. Even with my experiences I am afraid at times. I feel that people have grown too reliant on one another. That's not necessarily a bad thing; no man is an island. But the urban people mock this rural lifestyle in favor of their fashions and artistic sarcasm. I see it all the time with tourists downtown [in Chicago], but you never see hipsters out in the woods.

Those fur trappers that were here so long ago were hard men. I cannot fathom what that life was like. Such a shame that the only mark of theirs left are the French names of the area. America could use men like that. Everyone has fears, but it seems that as man has changed, so has their fear changed.

-----End excerpt-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Savoir-Faire screwed with this post 09-29-2009 at 05:25 PM
Old 09-29-2009, 03:07 PM   #5
clarkebd
Huh?

Oddometer: 819
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir-Faire
To me this is inherently selfish, but I cannot avoid that any longer.

I likely drink too much, am prone to moodiness and excessive privacy, am too opinionated despite my open mindedness and willingness to listen and, most significantly of all, am concerned with the feelings of others to the detriment of my own.
Man, that first line hits home with me ... I want to just go away and ride for a month, but can't get myself to do it b/c of people depending on me. Someday I will.

That second paragraph above seems just like me too!

Good luck...hope you find what you are looking for...if you don't think you are looking for something you are kidding yourself.

I'll be following along.

98 Moto Guzzi V11 EV - SOLD

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
clarkebd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:42 PM   #6
Savoir-Faire OP
Powered by Hate

Later the next day, I made it to my friend's cabins outside Hayward. His family has had them since the 1950's. 3 cabins, a summer home for one uncle and a year round home for another uncle. A dock, canoes, kayaks, and a sand beach on a crystal-clear lake where a world-record Muskie was caught in the 1960's. You can't buy this kind of place anymore.

It's beautiful, peaceful, and quiet. An amazing place and I was lucky to be allowed there. One day, I hope to own some land up there.

The view down the docks:

Sunset off the dock

My friend out on the lake, fishing (obviously) the next day

Two Northern (22" and 26") and a little bluegill snack

Me with the stringer (I did not catch any of them)

No pics of the bikes or cabins though. Thought I took some. Ah well.

-----Begin except from Trip Diary--------------------------------------

August 14th, 2009

I am out on a skiff with [my friend] and his father. They're fishing for Northern Pike and Muskie, respectively, while I am just out to enjoy the breeze [no fishing license]. The weather is clear and warm, with air temp around 80 and water temp a balmy 73.

Earlier I took a bath in the lake and just relaxed. [My friend] and I hunted for chipmunks but found none. He took my bike out for a spin and liked it. Otherwise, not much.

Coming in to the cabins yesterday, my toe shifter loosened up and began to slip. Not good. I managed a quick roadside repair as I was but a short distance from my destination. There always was some play in the toe shifter, but I just put it down to being a Harley. Looks like I was wrong.

[My friend] and I took it apart and there was certainly some wear. Seeing that the heel and toe shifters were identical, we simply swapped their positions and tightened them down. Problem solved. Two problems in two days are two too many. I hope there will be no more.

I am finding it difficult to relax even in this idyllic locale. Lac Court Oreilles and the city of Hayward are so pleasant, but I am struggling regardless. Maybe it is because I know this is not my final destination. The more I think of the remaining trip, the more I think a slow drift west is better than a frenzied, destination minded run.

-----End Excerpt-------------------------------------------------------

I spent about three days there. I feel that any longer and you're overstaying your welcome. More pics and details to come, then the trip will really get going.

Savoir-Faire screwed with this post 02-01-2011 at 10:57 PM Reason: name change
Old 09-30-2009, 10:58 PM   #7
Savoir-Faire OP
Powered by Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkebd
...if you don't think you are looking for something you are kidding yourself.

I know I am looking for meaning, which I no longer have. This is what life should be like: hopeful, meaningful, full of friends and dreams. Look at the relationship these three have: closeness, that nebulous quality of beauty, and care. Don't you wish your teenage adventures were this good?

Savoir-Faire screwed with this post 10-01-2009 at 09:26 AM
Old 10-02-2009, 03:35 PM   #8
Savoir-Faire OP
Powered by Hate

----- Trip Diary ----------------------------------------------------------

August 14th/15th 2009

Solitude is a fleeting experience; that is, the peace one gains from it is. The late night breeze is blowing south across the lake and into the screened porch tonight, hard enough to set the wind chimes into disordered atonality. The waves are lapping onto shore in a rhythmic sussuration in time with the sawy of the pines. Otherwise, all is quiet.

Does anyone know what peace really is? Can a man be at peace with himself for longer than a moment? I'm not sure. Schopenhauer felt that inner peace could only come after a great ordeal of personal suffering. Is that just when the suffering ends that you no longer know any better?

I ask this as I begin the education goal of becoming a medical doctor, as I feel I have chosen it as an arbitrary goal. It is simply to have something tangible to strive for rather than any great love of medicine. I know if I dedicate myself I can achieve anything; that it is not a matter of "if I can" but rather "if I apply myself". I'd better apply myself, or I'm in trouble.

What is the point of it all if inner peace is so fleeting? Why try if I am incapable of true happiness (as I believe I am). I do no see marriage or children in my future. I have no great drive, just will. Can I apply it to anything other than not failing? It seems I have only been working to "not fail" and that strikes me as a goal that is not legitimate. I love my family, but I doubt I can find lasting happiness through them despite their importance to me.

We live in the United States, where personal achievement is the metric by which we measure a person's contribution to society. To most, that is yearly income. People, myself included, look to wealth to measure everything -- intelligence, quality of character, happiness, you name it. We frequently look at money as having "made it" in some invisible race of phantoms. At the same time, that same money allows freedom to pursue a great family life. Look at [my friend] and his whole family here at the lake in the cabins and homes his grandfather built in the 50's. Poverty is no balm either.

Maybe it is all mindset. Pursuing wealth for your own reasons might be ok. I simply desire the comfort it provides; a security blanket of warmth against a cold night of emptiness. It is another arbitrary goal, but it remains something to fill the days with. That can't be all bad.

----- End Excerpt -----------------------------------------------------

Savoir-Faire screwed with this post 10-02-2009 at 09:09 PM
Old 10-03-2009, 06:45 PM   #9
Savoir-Faire OP