Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2011, 07:09 PM   #151
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,789
9/18/11. Today we rode to Bartlesville, OK. We had a short day today as my dad needed to clean and re-lube his chain after the mud from the other day (I was able to do mine last night). Even though I say it was a short day, we still managed about 150 miles or so. Weather today was OK; we had some rain in the morning, and as the day progressed it stopped. The big issue with the rain is that my Frogg Toggs that I got for my Alaska trip are now starting to fail; the two points where I get water are: 1) around my elbows, and 2) my butt. Needless to say, this is NOT a pleasant experience! What's even worse is that the Frogg Toggs that my father just bought a couple weeks ago for this trip are also failling! The pants seem to work OK, but his jacket is allowing moisture to get through just about all over; it's Sunday today so we can't call anyone to complain, but we're going to be making some phone calls tomorrow to see what can be done. Personally I've lost some faith in this product and would appreciate ANY & ALL SUGGESTIONS ON SOME NEW RAIN GEAR. Aside from the little rain gear issue, all is going well and the bikes are running good.

On with the pictures!

Heading out around 8:30am or so.

Riding along side the Illinois river.

The weather was deceivingly nice to start with.

While it was nice where we were currently sitting, the clouds up ahead did not look so inviting.

I was kind of hoping that this rainbow was a good omen.

A little ways down the road, we came up the TAT camels!

As we took off from this point, I was wishing I had a helmet cam as I saw one of the funniest things I've ever seen! Now camels are goofy enough animals to begin with, but have you ever seen one running!?!?!? I was laughing so hard, I almost ran off the road! That was just the kind of levity I needed to get my mind off of my wet butt!

Back to the riding.

Saw lots of wildlife today. For starters I saw a BUNCH of hawks! Of course they're a bit skiddish and always take off and fly away when I stop to try and get a picture. Then there's the usual deers, but today we also saw a couple of these little guys:

This first little guy was quite mobile! When I stopped to get a picture and help him across, he just got on all fours and scooted off into the brush!

The second one I saw was fairly mobile, but he kept wanting to hide behind the rear tire of the motorcyle so I picked him up and deposited him in the field next to the road.

Yep, Oklahoma is the land of long & straight roads. You can maintain a pretty good speed on these!

Signs like this just confirm that I'm on the right track!

Came across another road closed sign at this point, and this one was actually closed. The reroute was really easy though and no more than a mile or two.

The other end of the closed road section.

Continuing on.

Came upon a rail road crossing where the train was blocking the way; wouldn't have been a big deal but the train was at a dead stop! I guess they had some traffic on the lines up ahead; no worries, good time for a snack break and some pictures.

Rolling again.

Eventually we pulled in to Bartlesville and got a hotel room. An early day, but perfect for doing a little bike maintenance and catching up on ride report updates.

You think we might have hit some mud today? (I'd already rubbed the dirt off the turn signals and tail lights for safety reason).

Since we had plenty of time to relax and a small fridge in the hotel room, I had to go pick up some brews and drink a cold one in honor of the guys that had to leave us back in MS.

While dad did maintenance on his bike, I uploaded pictures and started to update the RR. When we got hungry, we went next door for dinner.

The food was good, and it was our waitress' first day on the job so she was being especially attentive and nice. Dad had a burger, and I had the taco salad; for some reason I'd been craving a salad.

Well that's it for today!

STATS for the day:

SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:33 AM   #152
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,290
Eek no sooner back then gone

Denis, you are at it again! Amazing!
I don't know where the time goes; last time I checked, you were entering Alaska. Guess I'll have some catching up to do over the winter which is coming on fast here it seems. Sorry I missed you at CHIII; the day before I had a little "get-off" in the woods and was a bit shaken up. Hope to be riding again before winter.

In addition to:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress of the dual View Post
... May all the weather, mechanical and good luck gods be kind to you both this trip. ...

May the one and only true God, the God who made heaven and earth, being the only God with the power to accomplish anything, may He guide you on your journey and give you appreciation, comfort and peace!

And now for errata....
Quote:
Originally Posted by XC Rider View Post
... Clarence was a hit with one local lady because of his "ears"! ...
That's Warren in the picture with the "ears"...

Holla if'n ya need anythin' ...
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:43 AM   #153
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,664
rain gear

I saw your request about rain gear.

I picked up some rain paints at Walmart. They come in a small bag, I think they were coleman. Back in the sporting goods dept.

I rode a whole day in torrential rain, as we moved east so did the storm. They kept me dry, even at highway speeds.
I think they might have ran $20.00. They had the matching rain jacket but I have waterproof liners for my riding jackets so I only bought the pants. Not sure how well they would hold up to a dirt nap, but they are cheep enough they could be considered disposable.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:51 AM   #154
Kawikazi
Loose Cannon

Oddometer: 356
Thumb Keep it coming

Really enjoying the report and wish we were still there, but I bet the KLR would have been a handful in that mud. Would have to call the wrecker to get it back up if it went down
Kawikazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:15 AM   #155
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,265
Rain gear

Waterproof = KLIM gear
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:40 AM   #156
badguy
Susan

Oddometer: 1,664
Just got caught up during lunch...good stuff! I hope the rest of the trip is nice and dry
badguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:48 AM   #157
mrprez
KJ4WMZ

Oddometer: 1,265
No riding for me for 12 weeks.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:15 AM   #158
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,499
Ouch, that looks painful. Hope you heal up and get back on the bike for more fun. Good luck.
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:28 PM   #159
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,274
OooooH...nice job by the castmaker looks painful tho! Hey, get a Hack then you can still ride! Happy Healing...
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:28 PM   #160
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
Waterproof = KLIM gear
Klim- i.e. expensive and these guys are on DRZ's

But good stuff. Frog Togs always looked like recycled paper to me and not very durable, and not cheap for paper bags!!!
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:45 PM   #161
soph9
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
Klim- i.e. expensive and these guys are on DRZ's

But good stuff. Frog Togs always looked like recycled paper to me and not very durable, and not cheap for paper bags!!!
KLIM Traverse is not that expensive and vents well and is 100% waterproof
Old 09-19-2011, 03:08 PM   #162
OHjim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
KLIM Traverse is not that expensive and vents well and is 100% waterproof
Um, sorry but $600+ just for the jacket and pants many of us consider expensive. But wait, there's more. Oh you want protection with that, well tack on another $100+. Unless you know of someplace cheaper . . . . .

I was thinking of getting some since you all raved about it on your AK/Tiger report, but then I looked at pricing. Ouch.
OHjim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:22 PM   #163
hahmule
Balding Gloriously

Oddometer: 591
Sailing gear

West Marine nylon foulies. They're bulky and not cheap, but absolutely, 100% waterproof. Have had mine since the early 90's and they are still in use. I rode 400+ miles one day in non stop rain, dry as a bone.

Better to be a fast mule than a slow race horse.
hahmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:08 PM   #164
soph9
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHjim View Post
Um, sorry but $600+ just for the jacket and pants many of us consider expensive. But wait, there's more. Oh you want protection with that, well tack on another $100+. Unless you know of someplace cheaper . . . . .

I was thinking of getting some since you all raved about it on your AK/Tiger report, but then I looked at pricing. Ouch.
I hear you on cost but the suit is quality made, no need for a rain suit, CE armour is cheap and I bet over years most spend more on gear because it rips, or leaks etc...just saying the Traverse I think is a decent investment and i f taken care of would last quite a long time. Now back to the Denis show...
Old 09-19-2011, 06:12 PM   #165
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,789
In Alva, OK tonight. Cooking dinner right now; update to follow later tonight.
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote