User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2011, 01:44 PM   #31
Trailace
Dumb Ass

Oddometer: 1,150
I'm in again!

Just completed the CDR with my son last month had a great time hanging out with him. Bad thing was I had to pay for everything is dad paying your way?

I did the TAT a few years back and might take him on that next year if school allows. Trust me you will have story's to share for the rest of your lives. Good luck and have fun.
2007 G650X Challenge
2002 R1150GS ADV
Iron Butt # 7362
Trailace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:17 PM   #32
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,600
I take it your dad lives in BFE since he has a hughes net email address.
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #33
LumpyOne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Father/Son

We love the father/son rides. My son and I hope to be doing this in a few years when he gets his license. Subscribed!
LumpyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:05 PM   #34
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,890
Wow! Already on page 3 and 1000 some views and we haven't even left yet! Looks like I've got some high expectations to meet; I'll do my best to keep everyone entertained with some occasionally witty prose and what I hope will be some spectacular pictures! Took a little test ride just now to see how the bikes handled all loaded up and to test out our new Scala Riders. I decided that for this trip it would be a good investment so that dad and I could keep in contact while riding; especially to warn him of dangers on the road/trail since I'll be riding up front. The Scala riders work pretty well, but they're definitely a LINE OF SIGHT form of communication. Well that's better than nothing, and I really like the Bluetooth connectivity; I can now connect to my Iphone to listen to music & answer phone calls! Not that I would recommend answering phone calls while riding off road! Well not much to do now; dad's finishing up some final packing details. As for me, I'm counting down the seconds 'till tomorrow morning. It's kinda like being a kid and it's the day before Christmas; you're too excited to go to sleep, but you know that the sooner you do, the sooner morning will come! To pass some more time, I'll answer some of the latest posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
This sounds like a fun one,Id like to get out and ride this next year. No locals seem interested so far but I'll figure it out.
Don't know what you're riding experience/skill level is, but you can always do it solo! I did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_biker View Post
Denis,
Lookin' forward to your TAT ride report, which of course will delay me finishing up MY report from June/July LOL
Good luck!!
Dave
Hey there Dave! How's the new job going? Making lots of $$$? Getting ready for the next big ride?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug329 View Post
We just finished the TAT a week ago.

I'm all signed on to follow your ride.

I still remember reading your 1st RR..and still consider you a hero for doing it SOLO, and having to walk out, etc., then, go buy another bike, come back and finish it. THAT was an accomplishment few could do.

Doing the trip with your Dad will make this trip something special.

Good luck, and be safe out there.
Doug
Hi Doug, just found your TAT rr; gonna read through it tonight! Yeah, my first run of the TAT was something special alright! But trust me, I don't regret 1 second of that trip, nor would I trade it for anything else! I had a lot of fun and learned a lot. Glad you came back to see my second run through. And yeah, doing it with my father will make it special; we've done other motorcycle trips together, but none quite like this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjocephus View Post
Don't forget the Jim Beam sitting there, too.
Have no fear, for me it's kinda like my American Express, "Never Leave Home Without It!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
good luck XC and Mrprez. Looking forward to reading your report and reliving mine!!
Hey there Richard, it was great to meet you and your crew in Denio Junction; I enjoyed reading you RR. We'll do our best to bring back some good memories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
wow 4 DRZ's on the trip!! Good thing not going solo! Ride within your ability it's too long of a trip to get to crazy!!
They must be like the perfect TAT bike or something!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress of the dual View Post
Been looking forward to following along on this trip for a while. May all the weather, mechanical and good luck gods be kind to you both this trip.

Hiya Zarah! I'll do my best to swing through CA on the end of this trip! It'd be great to see you and Mike again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condogs View Post
Dennis, look forward to this write up. I just finished my trip from florida to washington state. Went to the miracle museum in polson from your susgestion. Awesome.
Hi there, so glad you enjoyed the Miracle museum in MT; it may be a little cooky and cheezy, but like you, I LOVED it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
Have a great time Dennis
Hey there Leslie. Congrats on the funds you were able to raise for autism. And for the thoroughly enjoyable ride report too! Thank you for the well wishes, it'll be a blast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailace View Post
I'm in again!

Just completed the CDR with my son last month had a great time hanging out with him. Bad thing was I had to pay for everything is dad paying your way?

I did the TAT a few years back and might take him on that next year if school allows. Trust me you will have story's to share for the rest of your lives. Good luck and have fun.
Hello sir, congrats on the CDR. I had at first brought this option to my father's attention as from my research the consensus was that it was shorter and easier than the TAT. However he decided that he'd rather do the TAT since I had personal experience with this route. While he's not funding my portion of the trip, I do hope to sneak in some free meals and mooch of his occasional hotel room! After all, what are sons for!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400 View Post
I take it your dad lives in BFE since he has a hughes net email address.
Aye, that he does; not DSL out here!
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:03 PM   #35
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailace View Post
I'm in again!

I know exactly what you mean, but like XC rider says; "what are sons for?"

I read XC's first TAT report and will never forget it. I'm in for this one too, but I have my own CDR in 10 days.

Have fun Dad! Us other Dads are proud of you. Go mang...

Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:06 AM   #36
Kawikazi
Loose Cannon

Oddometer: 359
Cycle World October Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
Have a great time Dennis
You need to send a link to your Alaska RR to the editor of Cycle World. Check out the October issue. One week test ride in Alaska and the conclusion; F800 better than Tiger because it's easier to turn off ABS
Kawikazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:16 AM   #37
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawikazi View Post
You need to send a link to your Alaska RR to the editor of Cycle World. Check out the October issue. One week test ride in Alaska and the conclusion; F800 better than Tiger because it's easier to turn off ABS

No come on there was more to it than that!!! The F800 had amore off road worthy suspension.

Back tot he program......
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:36 AM   #38
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawikazi View Post
we heard that a magazine was in Dawson City after we left and a reviewer/rider thought he had turned off the abs and did not on the Tiger and wiped out. At least XC Rider doesn't have to worry about ABS on this trip right? All in good fun those fancy reviewers. You have a link to the article?
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:03 AM   #39
SillyGoose
Wimp

Oddometer: 156
Good luck

Good luck on your journey. Excited to follow along.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:11 AM   #40
GO_OUTSIDE!
dirty hippie

Oddometer: 283
Good luck on your trip!
What type of riding gear are you using?
Old 09-09-2011, 11:15 AM   #41
Pomo
gonzo

Oddometer: 609
Good luck XC! Looking forward to doing yet another virtual TAT.

"It's supposed to be a challenge, that's why they call it a shortcut. If it was easy it would just be the way." ~ Rubin, Road Trip

Pomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:15 PM   #42
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,890
Day one is in the books! Had great weather, great roads, and great company! Camping out tonight at Rocky Fork campground ( I think) near Wytheville, VA. Caped of the day with a sumptuous feast! Tomorrow we'll be getting to Jellico and meeting up with MrPrez and our outfit will be complete.

Will provide a full update tomorrow when I have wifi. iPhones are ok, but not great for updates.
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:18 PM   #43
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,303
man I would love to be with you on this trip versus having to work! Wishing you the best weather...this is a great time of year to travel...hopefully cool nights warm says!
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:46 PM   #44
mrprez
KJ4WMZ

Oddometer: 1,265
I made it to Horse Pens 40 campground near Oneonta, Al. Nice place but a little noisy.

I got off to a rocky start, went out to find a leaky petcock on the gas tank. I had to drain the tank and reinstall the petcock. Still left home on time but a little grumpy. The rest of the day went well and I should be in Jellico about 4 pm or so.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:13 PM   #45
Fire44
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Subscribed!!!

Some day I hope to do the same trip with my son. He's 12 now so I will have to wait at least another 5 years or so....

Have fun, be safe and make some memories with your father!!!

2009 Kawasaki KLR650
Fire44 is offline   Reply With Quote