Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2011, 02:57 PM   #1
ColonelS OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
New Honda 250 dual sport based on CBR250R mechanicals rumored

From visorDOWN
http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...red/18940.html

"HONDA'S CBR250R was one of the stars of 2011 thanks to its cool styling and sensible price tag and now it seems Honda is getting ready to launch more models based on the same engine.
Word has it that the first is set to be an enduro-style machine, in the mould of the CRF250X but with the CBR250R's more sensible service intervals and less extreme engine design."

If this is true, then this would be the most exciting new Honda dual sport model in the past ten years.

Speaking as a former loyal Honda customer who has owned an XR650R, XR400, XR600, NX650, XL600 and XL250.

I might even be tempted to trade in my KLR650.

ColonelS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
valvecrusher
tractus pro pensio™

Oddometer: 1,655

valvecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:43 PM   #3
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
This would be a really good move for Honda. But I wonder if the USA is even thought of regards selling this bike here?

The CBR250 is made at Honda's Thai factory ... in operation since mid 80's. They make Asian market bikes there (125 two strokes and more), the CBR250 is the first Thai Honda I've heard of to come to the USA.

Honda also have another factory in Brazil. The CRF150 and CRF230 are both made in Brazil. I don't know what all else might be made there. I do know CRF250/CRF450 are made in Japan.

If Honda get serious and make a serious bike competitive with the WR250R Yamaha, then they'd have something. But my guess is they'll make another lame, tame and cheap Asian market Dual sport "look-a-like" and call it good. I hope I'm wrong ... but Honda's actions in the last ten years do not inspire confidence.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:03 PM   #4
Nightfall
Disco-Trash

Oddometer: 144
Will it also have awesome third world country build quality?

- '01 KLR 250
Nightfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:11 PM   #5
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfall View Post
And probably Hondas legendary higher than average price tag. Let's see....
Honda+ calling it new+ relying on their no better than average reliability myth+ bringing it stateside = $8,000.00+ or-
(sorry! ex-cynical Honda owner here)
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:03 PM   #6
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
And probably Hondas legendary higher than average price tag. Let's see....
Honda+ calling it new+ relying on their no better than average reliability myth+ bringing it stateside = $8,000.00+ or-
(sorry! ex-cynical Honda owner here)
non abs cbr250 is only $4k
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:07 PM   #7
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Have you ridden any modern Triumph? Or how about a Versys? (Bike Of the Year) All Triumph frames and swingarms and lots of other parts are made in Thailand. The Bonnevilles are 100% Thai made ... including the motors. Kawi bikes are also 100% Thai made.

In the early 90's I rented a Thai made Honda, a CRM-X 125 (think CR125 street legal dual sport). I rode all over Thailand for 3 weeks ... 2000 miles. Lots of river crossings and mud. All dirt roads along the Burmese border, Golden Triangle and more. Awesome little bike ... never missed a beat.

Brazil makes Honda's CRF230's. Ever ridden one? Try to break it ... go ahead ... I dare you! And the little CRF150 is the number one Super Moto learners bike. Fantastic ... and also unbreakable.

The fact is the quality of motorcycle products coming out of Thailand is stellar. I know less about Brazil but by all accounts it's very good too.

If Honda build a new 250 dual sport and it turns out to be crap ... it won't be due to so called "crap 3rd world quality" . Over there ... you get exactly what you pay for. So Honda can build up to whatever quality they want to.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:42 PM   #8
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
Right! And there is a very good reason it ended up on every magazines covers and won MOTY's for it's class. It's good! (or so I read ... not ridden it)

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 09-04-2011 at 09:26 PM
Old 09-04-2011, 08:48 PM   #9
koh kood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
$3500 US OTD here [Thailand]. It seems pretty good quality to me. If Honda does come out with a dual sport version I'll definitely pick one up.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:37 AM   #10
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post

Hmmph!? How about that? I can now take back 1/2 of what I've NEVER liked about Honda.

I can admit when I stand correction.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:06 AM   #11
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,174
Sounds like it'd be a lot like the WR250R. If it has the full blown CRF250X chassis it'll be better suspended and handle a bit better off road. I don't know how much the CBR250R motor weights compared to the CRF250X mill, but hopefully it isn't too heavy and they can bring the weight in under that of the WR-R.

imo they'd be wise to offer it in a larger-displacement (or forced induction) version as well, they could really use something to distinguish it from the WR-R. With the prevalence of forced induction nowdays, I could see it as a viable alternative to offering a 450cc version. That way honda could maybe save costs by having one platform and base motor.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:06 AM   #12
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,181
Wow, a 22 horsepower steel framed probably 300 pound dual sport.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:19 AM   #13
strongbad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
I love the 4-valve, fuel injected, roller-cam-follower engine on the CBR250R. I don't love the 360lb weight, or the riding position, or that fugly muffler.

I love the 276 lb (83lb lighter!) CRF230X supermoto. Don't love the carbureted engine. If Honda could transplant the CBR engine into the CRF and keep the weight down (and lose that awful muffler) that would be a win.
strongbad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:30 AM   #14
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongbad View Post
I love the 276 lb (83lb lighter!) CRF230X supermoto.
That thing totally rocks. I rode one for a rider training course and I was grinding the footpegs off it!
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:53 AM   #15
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
Sounds like it'd be a lot like the WR250R. If it has the full blown CRF250X chassis it'll be better suspended and handle a bit better off road. I don't know how much the CBR250R motor weights compared to the CRF250X mill, but hopefully it isn't too heavy and they can bring the weight in under that of the WR-R.

imo they'd be wise to offer it in a larger-displacement (or forced induction) version as well, they could really use something to distinguish it from the WR-R. With the prevalence of forced induction nowdays, I could see it as a viable alternative to offering a 450cc version. That way honda could maybe save costs by having one platform and base motor.
Honda filed about 15 new patents with this all new 250cc motor. Not sure of HP output but I'd guess around 30 HP, give or take?

But you bring up a good point ... with both KTM and Husky having success with their newest 300cc and 350cc bikes ... why not a 300 or 350cc Dual sport Honda? Could be based on the CBR250R motor. Seems the obvious direction to go. This would add power and torque and make the bike a far better street going machine with hardly any additional weight penalty.

But keeping it light will be the challenge. The WR250R is quite heavy. Sure, great bike ... but compared to my WR250F enduro bike ... about 50 lbs. difference.

If Honda use a slightly modified CRF250X chassis could be a big seller if they keep the weight down and don't cheap out on the components.