User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
Kaw4Life OP
Busted Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,322
KTM vs BMW Adventure Type Bike

Which one would you take on an 8000 mile trip?

... which part you focus on is up to you.
Kaw4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
nomad guy
A legal alien

Oddometer: 811
You do realize you posted your Q on a KTM forum? What kind of answer are you expecting to get?

04 KTM ADV 950S GO!!!!!
09 KTM 690 ENDURO R
nomad guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
EZ300
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 968
I'd take the KTM in my garage.
2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
www.rockstarsmc.com
EZ300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #4
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaw4Life View Post
Which one would you take on an 8000 mile trip?
8000 miles of what type of road?
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:25 PM   #5
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,838
The one I owned. Seriously, I'd get the bike that I liked best based on my personal wants / needs. Unless this was 8000 miles of technical dirt, you'd be fine on either one.

http://www.blackswanmoto.com
MJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:29 AM   #6
Kaw4Life OP
Busted Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad guy View Post
You do realize you posted your Q on a KTM forum? What kind of answer are you expecting to get?
Um ah one from a KTM owner

Dont think that I am a "BMW 4 LIFE" type just because I have one. I have ridden the 990 and love it. Just getting a little more input from those that own them. I have two friends with 950's and the initial impression I get it is that they are maintenance intensive.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:32 AM   #7
Kaw4Life OP
Busted Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by el queso View Post
8000 miles of what type of road?
Nothing too difficult. Across the US/Canada. I am in Maine. Want to just see something other than the east coast.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:21 AM   #8
Podman
Rocketman

Oddometer: 243
Rode to rangely lake two years ago from columbus lovely area. Did it on a Honda VFR. If I had the time I could do an 8000 mile trip on a lot of different bikes it's just that some of them involve you more (like KTM, Ducati etc) then others. Still others give you more "move around room on them" then others. One that comes to mind is the tenere. I could do that trip on my smt no problem. On a tenere or explorer it would be a bit more comfortable. Hope that helps.
Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:50 AM   #9
Tangai
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
I could own a BMW or a Tenere, Moto Guzzi or Triumph, if I wanted to. I choose to own and ride the KTM because it will do the highways as well as any, but kicks butt on dirt roads and off road. With a few additions, like a touring windshield and a sheep skin seat cover, it’s very comfortable on long highway rides.

I just got home from a 4,700 mile trip on my 950 Adventure. We (the other guy has a 990) did a little over 400 miles on gravel roads and jeep trails, then I road over 600 miles of interstate (in the rain) on the way home. The BMW just doesn’t have the right kind of suspension to do what we did, yet the KTM rides perfectly smooth on the highway.

As far as maintenance, the valve adjustment on the BMW is hands down the easiest, where the KTM is one of the most time consuming, but doesn’t need that often. Everything else is about the same or more complicated on the BMW. And the KTM can be re-geared to meet your needs. Both the BMW and the KTM are great bikes and you really can’t go wrong with either.
Tangai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:55 AM   #10
patrkbukly
52 Weeks of warm

Oddometer: 921
Just my own personal view

I own and ride both;

RELIABILITY
A) The GS rarely fails, but when it does see the dealer (EFI, drivetrain, motronic, etc).
B) The KTM sometimes fails and when it does you can fix (KTM toolbag and basic knowledge).

ABILITY
A) The GS is a great highway & long-distance hog and a great chair to watch KTM's riding up the mountainsides.
B) The KTM is a great highway & long-distance hog and runs up mountains like they are driveways.

FUN
A) The GS is fun and kind of cool in that the German approach to redesigning a simple motorcycle made it something more.
B) The KTM is a motorcycle, handles like one, jumps like one, sounds like one and makes you smile like you are riding one.

Thank you...and good night.

patrkbukly screwed with this post 07-23-2012 at 07:44 AM
patrkbukly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:05 AM   #11
Slvrtundevl
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
I think the KTM can be made to satisfy the hard core dirt guys...and the mostly tarmac to occasional off road/rock road explorers.... The BMW is a great bike... But I can ride my KTM with my dirt bike buddies.... Sport bike buddies .... Harley buddies...... And BMW buddies..... I found that the BMW was a little big and heavy to hang with the dirt bikes.... So my choice would be the KTM....
Old 07-23-2012, 08:27 AM   #12
syzygy9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
I am about to embark across outback Australia on an 8000 km (5000 mile) odyssey - 5800 km of which will be dirt roads and tracks. My choice, which I bought specifically for the trip, is a new 2011 KTM 990.

I am in the fortunate financial position to afford what I wanted . . . and chose the KTM.

I looked at the BMW F800GS (the 1200s were a bit too lardy for me) and the Tenere. I was initially a little intimidated by the complexity and maintenance required on the 990s, but there is such a tremendous resource in OC and the HOW that assuaged my fear somewhat. Although I am still learning the bike, there is plenty of help and the bike is laid out in quite a logical fashion. And if you like tinkering, this is the machine for you!

For my intended use of dirt road (outback Australia) touring this was my choice. My riding buddy chose a F800GS for the same purpose, an equally good choice for him. Everyone's choices are very individual and there is no single right bike for everyone. Although asking someone on OC to chose between a BMW and a KTM is like asking a pimp whether you should join a nunnery - sacré bleu.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:00 AM   #13
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaw4Life View Post
Nothing too difficult. Across the US/Canada. I am in Maine. Want to just see something other than the east coast.
We just got back from a 1500 mile trip across the desert with 2 990's, a BMW 1200 and a KLR650, and all the bikes made it without any issues. Us KTM guys loved our 990s (it was their first big road trip), the BMW rider loved his 1200 and the KLR rider is trying to figure out how to tell his wife he's getting a new bike (a 990). On the road I think it's pretty much a wash, but off road the KTM is the winner for sure. The big beemer has lots of stuff hanging out (like cylinders and headers) and the KTM is a nice tight compact bike, plus it rides just like a big dirt bike.

Honestly for what you're planing either will be just fine. Pick the one with the better ergos and go ride!
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #14
Tangai
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
You won’t see Öhlins shocks or fork kits offered for KTM. `Cause they don’t need them. If that kind of thing matters to you; it does to me.
Tangai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:33 PM   #15
Deviant666
Present

Oddometer: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangai View Post
You won’t see Öhlins shocks or fork kits offered for KTM. `Cause they don’t need them. If that kind of thing matters to you; it does to me.
+oo