ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2011, 02:30 PM   #1
Alpha One Nine OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Olympic Peninsula Pavement Day Ride Suggestions?

Got a four day weekend coming up and plan to hop on the ol’ Connie and head west. I’m planning to stay in North Seattle or Lynnwood this Friday and Saturday night and check out the Olympic Peninsula on Saturday. I plan to ride up Hurricane Ridge and take some pictures but don’t really know what else to add to my to-do list. The plan, for now, is to get back to the same hotel for Saturday night so riding very far down the coast might not be viable. Anyone have any “must see” suggestions?
2005 KLR650 - The KLR
2010 R1200RT - The Ultimate Touring Machine
Alpha One Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:36 PM   #2
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,806
The ice cream/coffee shop at Discovery Bay on hwy 101 You'll know it when you see it because it's a converted choo choo train.

I like the Makah museum at Neah Bay.

I'm sure others will have more ideas for you.

Have a great time, take pictures and don't forget to take the time to enjoy the flowers along the way (no tickets).
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:12 PM   #3
dammitdave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,199
Stuck on Lynwood?

If you're stuck on being back in Lynwood Saturday night options are limited. Do do Hurricane ridge and take a left on Dawn Lake Rd as you come back past the entrance gate. Follow that to Black Diamond Rd where another left will take you down to the Elwha Rd then right to 101. West on 101 out past Crescent Lake to Sappho and North on 113 to 112. Return to Port Angeles on 112 and follow the truck route signs to tourist destinations downtown or blow right through and find the Old Olympic Hwy on the East side of town and follow it through all the way to Sequim Bay. If you're up for some easy gravel pm me and we can have breakfast in Quilcene just 30 minutes West of the Edmonds ferry. There are routes from there with vistas and a look at the lesser known Olympics. Alternatively you could hightail it back from Hurricane ridge and ride down 101 on Hood Canal looping through Bremerton and Poulsbo back to the Edmonds ferry. If you're not stuck on returning to Lynwood then the sky's the limit. Visualize half a dozen loops with variations leading back toward Spoklahoma, Spookaloo or Spocaine as you wish.

Dave
...what this really wants is an outgoing, gregarious, driven, type A; an extrovert, Alpha male P.T. Barnum salesman type with little time left to examine his life or to worry about knocking things off the coffee table with his tail....John Burns

I got the right gal when gas WAS $19 cents a gallon she's has put up with me for 58 years...AK Bike
dammitdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:21 PM   #4
zoomdude57
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
+1 on 112 and 113. Spectacular roads and scenery. Watch out for the LEOs however as I think it is well patrolled.
2011 KTM RC8R
2006 KTM 200 XC-W
zoomdude57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:38 PM   #5
Alpha One Nine OP
Studly Adventurer

Turns out staying in Lynnwood Saturday night is no longer necessary. My buddy in north Seattle who was going to join me is having issues with his “vintage” KZ900 and told me tonight it’s not going to be ready for this ride. Now I’m thinking about Port Angeles for Saturday night. If anyone wants to ride around the area with me that would be great.
2005 KLR650 - The KLR
Old 09-21-2011, 09:24 AM   #6
vince taylor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
[QUOTE=Ladybug0048;16898768]The ice cream/coffee shop at Discovery Bay on hwy 101 You'll know it when you see it because it's a converted choo choo train.

The Choo Choo is still there but the ice cream / coffee shop is gone.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:09 PM   #7
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

That's disappointing, I always looked forward to a stop there when I was in that area.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:07 PM   #8
wanderer505
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Places to eat on 101

If you really want to bulk up on cholestrol, check out the burgers at Fat Smitty's on Discovery Bay. But schedule naptime afterwards....
At Neah Bay there is a guy selling most excellent smoked salmon out of a shed (west end of town up a block or two). Was written up in the NY Times.
Second the vote on Hwy 112 west of PA, but watch out for road damage along with the ocifers.
Olympic Peninsula
wanderer505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:51 PM   #9
Alpha One Nine OP
Studly Adventurer

Thank for all of the tips everyone. I was hoping to have lunch at Neah Bay on Saturday. Other than the Smoked Salmon shed are there any other recommendations? Is the Cape Loop road paved or at least smooth enough for big street bike? Also, is there a special staging area for motorcycles at the Edmonds ferry terminal?
2005 KLR650 - The KLR
Old 09-22-2011, 05:46 PM   #10
hagenet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Rick,

I have some friends from work going over for this in Anacortes

http://www.oysterrun.org/

May want to check it out
Old 09-23-2011, 08:33 AM   #11
ClineDesign
Grandpa

Oddometer: 345
It'll cost you 5 bucks to ride to Hurricane Ridge. The road is fun on a bike! I'd stay away from Lake Dawn road unless you like dirt/gravel/washboard. Hwy 112 is a must ride, just watch out for some of the more tricky corners. Be sure to check out the WWII gun emplacements at Salt Creek/Camp Haydon PM me if you get lost!

ClineDesign screwed with this post 09-23-2011 at 09:23 AM
ClineDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:50 AM   #12
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,312
A day ride for me is to ride around the entire peninsula including most of the suggestions you've received. Neah Bay, LaPush, Kalaloch, Lake Quinault, and more are so worth seeing.

Tim in Burien, WA
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:55 PM   #13
Alpha One Nine OP
Studly Adventurer

It was a great trip despite some bad weather (and judgement) on Sunday.

Day 1 - Friday

Spokane Valley to Lynnwood track map (292 miles)

On the advice of a co-worker I stopped at Country Boy’s B-B-Q in Cashmere for lunch. It was a good call.
This is my only picture from Friday as I was a trying to make good time.

Day 2 - Saturday

Lynwood to Port Angeles and around the peninsula track map. (279 miles)

It was a foggy morning as I pulled out of Lynnwood.

The ferry ride.

Hey Ladybug, Is this the choo choo train you spoke of? It was closed but someone said they will be re-opening soon.

The John Wayne Marina.

Hurricane Ridge

Lake Crescent

Heading to Neah Bay

Found it

Is this the smoked salmon place you spoke of wanderer505?

The end of the road.

Day3 - Sunday

Port Angeles to Yakima tack map (295 miles)

Sunday morning at the motel. This is the only pictuire I took that day. The weather was bad and I ran into other problems.

Day 4 - Monday

Yakima to Spokane Valley track map (267 miles)

Yakima Motel 6

Lunch at Famous Dave's in Kenniwick
2005 KLR650 - The KLR
Old 09-28-2011, 05:18 AM   #14
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Looks like you had a good ride. Connie sure looks good out there in her element. The choo choo is the one I spoke of and nice to know it will be opening up again. The last few years it's been needing a refresher with paint but it's still a fun place to stop. Did you go on out to the Cape? I see the sign but not a picture from the view point.

So what was the problems you ran into?
Old 09-28-2011, 10:11 AM   #15
Alpha One Nine OP
Studly Adventurer

Unfortunately I didn’t walk out to the cape. I was running short on time and I didn’t want to leave my bike unattended without taking the time to lock everything up. As it was I pulled back into Port Angeles just as it was getting dark.

The only real bummer of the trip was Sunday’s rain which in itself only really affected visibility while riding. However, when I left Port Angeles it was not raining so I decided to hold off with the rain gear. Just south of Discovery Bay it started to rain pretty hard so I pulled off 101 onto a side road to put my rain gear on. I had the tires near the edge of the pavement and it seemed fine. While putting on my rain pants I put my hand on the top case to steady myself and the bike tipped over the other way and started to slide down the embankment into the abiss. I grabbed the foot lever of the center stand and was able drag it about a foot onto the road but I was not able to lift it up by myself. After several minutes a guy drove up in a pickup and who helped me lift it. The right side lower fairing panel is pretty scratched up but she got me home. I don’t have any pics of Connie on her side.
2005 KLR650 - The KLR