ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2011, 07:09 AM   #46
Double H OP
Hurricane Harry

Oddometer: 1,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by n16ht5 View Post
your ride report has convinced me to stick around on adv...

if you want to go again I am all in
Good. Don't leave us, we like having you around.
I think there will be some eastern rides this fall.
Double H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:50 AM   #47
yondering
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwisn View Post
It's about time to dew it again.
I'm headed for the Dew with a couple riding buddies (not members here) weekend of the 24th/25th. Not sure which day we'll be there.

Post up if any of you dudes will be there then.
yondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:31 PM   #48
kwisn
One Happy Dog

Oddometer: 8,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by yondering View Post
I'm headed for the Dew with a couple riding buddies (not members here) weekend of the 24th/25th. Not sure which day we'll be there.

Post up if any of you dudes will be there then.
That sounds about right for our foray, but won't know for a bit yet.

I think you'd look like less of an ass if you'd shut the fuck up more often. Boondoggle
kwisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:16 PM   #49
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
Sunday

It was an interesting visit to Foggy Dew with several riders dropping in and out of camp over the weekend. Here is the rest of the story of what happened after Double H left on Sunday morning.

I woke up and got ready to ride. Hayshaker and Elgin arrived at camp. It was time for Double H to continue his loop so he headed out to the north.

After riding the same trails he had done with his DRZ400 and camping gear, I have to say that I am amazed. I was struggling pretty hard in some of the sections and I was riding a tiny little KTM200EXC. Double H is a mighty fine rider.

K7MDL also decided it was time to head home so it was just Shrubitup, Hayshaker, Elgin, and I on the ride today. We shortcut over to the Crater Creek trailhead. Next stop Horsehead pass again.

A new view toward the east.

Boiling Lake. Can you spot Tony?

We headed for Cub Lake. Over by Boiling Lake, we met a horse rider who told us that the fishing was good at Cub Lake. She said every time they cast, they pulled out a fish. When we arrived at Cub Lake, the fish were jumping constantly. It was like they were trying to get out! Here is Cub Lake.

Hayshaker on the trail toward Deadman's Pass.

Here comes Elgin thru the flowers. The flowers were surreal along this section of trail. What a beautiful area!

There goes Shrubitup up the switchbacks.

Looking down at Hayshaker and the trail.

Whew! Hayshaker and Shrubitup at the top.

Elgin made it with a HOLLER!

We continued on and hit the Uno Peak trail. Shrubitup is having a good time. This was the start of about 4 miles of sidehill trail about 6 inches wide on a very steep grade in 18 inch high flowers and grass. It was a bit stressful!

Shrubitup still looking pretty happy but Hayshaker is not. This is on the Uno Peak trail after going down a bunch of switchbacks.

We rode on toward the Safety Harbor Trail. We stopped and filled up all of our empty CamelBaks from a fairly large stream. I was glad to have my Platypus gravity filter along! Then we hit the Safety Harbor trail and then dirt roads back to camp.

I ended up riding 71+ miles on my stock tank. We arrived just before dusk. Hayshaker and Elgin headed back home while Shrubitup and I plotted our next day’s ride over a smaller fire.
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:23 PM   #50
Tom Edison
No hurry, no worry

Oddometer: 2,320
Great reports and spectacular photo's!
Old 09-09-2011, 07:23 PM   #51
Double H OP
Hurricane Harry

Now I wish I had stayed with you guys
Old 09-10-2011, 10:25 AM   #52
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Monday (half day)

Last year, Double H, Shrubitup and K7MDL had tried to ride up the Bryan Butte trail. Shrubitup wanted to explore it further so that was our plan. It started out with a nice water crossing and then a steep climb with tons of switchbacks.

I was just starting up one of the million switchbacks, lost momentum, tried to put my foot down on nothing and fell over down the hill. The bike stayed on the trail while I tumbled down the hill. It was quite steep, loose and covered with brush and it took me a few minutes and a lot of effort to climb back up to my bike. I got speared in the back by a branch sticking out of a log on the way down but I did not get any blood on my glove when I reached back there so I thought I must be ok. (I have a nice dark blue/purple bruise there now.) I took a break to catch my breath and then headed on up the hill.

I only took 2 pictures before I broke the camera. This is apparently the section that stopped progress last year with Shrubitup conquering it!

We rode up to a high point and then back down a bit. The trail headed over the side down some rough looking stuff and definitely not in the direction of Bryan Butte so we decided it was time for lunch and to head back down the way we came. No Lighting Point calls for these boys! It was beautiful up there. I sure would like to make it all the way up to Bryan Butte someday!

We headed back down and packed up camp at a leisurely pace. Time to get back to reality!

I am glad I finally made it over there! It was challenging and beautiful!
Old 09-10-2011, 03:37 PM   #53
hayshaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
HEY....I was happy! You didn't say "cheeze" before taking the shot...

TONY

George, WA
hayshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:42 PM   #54
kwisn
One Happy Dog

Oddometer: 8,412

Great pics and report.
Mike, we need to ride together again, soon. Last time was on the Peninsula year before last? Too long.
I haven't met Tony and Shrub in person yet but am looking forward to doing so.

I think you'd look like less of an ass if you'd shut the fuck up more often. Boondoggle
kwisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:47 PM   #55
seattlechronic
Floyd

Oddometer: 128
Wow...Just Wow!
Old 09-27-2011, 12:32 PM   #56
bricaud
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
That ride looks amazing. I noticed a few gps's on the handlebars. Are there any GPX files availibe of your route? I would love to head over there and try it out.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:53 PM   #57
Double H OP
Hurricane Harry

Thanks, it was amazing.
I have tracks, but they are not edited, and there is track in the middle that I have no idea where it came from. PM me your e-mail and I will send you what I have.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:15 PM   #58
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Maybe that unidentified track is from your gas run to Twisp? I have an extra bit of movement in my tracks too showing that Shrubitup and I went about 4-5 miles further up the road than we did on Sunday and then we were instantly back on the correct track. Must have been loosing signal or something!

Maybe there is a vortex up there??
Old 09-28-2011, 03:57 PM   #59
lincolnlock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
I have a few .gpx files for the foggy dew area. I have from Horsehead pass to uno peak and back, and I also have Foggy Dew trail head to Crater Creek Trail head from last weekend. I also have a bunch of video of the area I've been chopping up. PM me your email and I'll send them your way if you are interested.

http://www.youtube.com/user/lincolnlock?feature=mhee
lincolnlock is offline   Reply With Quote