User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2015, 07:01 PM   #1
gromitdaddy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Gromitdaddy's 2015 Rides

Yes, it's a scooter... I'm secure enough to not care. After being mostly immobile for the better part of the last two years, at this point, any ride not to work and back home is an adventure to me. Would I love to be able to jump on an "adventure" bike and spend some months going till the road ends? Of course. But several things get in the way of that... I need an auto or semi-auto transmission (ankle issues), and my legs aren't 8 feet long and hopping into the saddle of most adventure bikes is painful (back issues). And then there's the cost. So it's a scooter. I can deal with that for now.

So a brand spanking new Honda Forza ABS is in the garage. Finally I can range a little farther than was practical on a 50cc Vespa. Yes, I know you could go around the world on a 50cc Vespa... If you're perfectly healthy and in your 20's

Today's ride. Officially, 42 degrees when I left, 45 when I got home. By the lake? Probably in the 30's.

59 miles... Not bad for getting used to a new bike and not having done much riding in two years. Fuel mileage working it's way up into the 60's... not terrible. Bike felt great, and I'm starting to get the hang of it. Windshield isn't bad at all, although I may still cut it down a bit. Sliders adventure pants are really nice, but I have to play a little more with the positioning of the knee armor. A good mornings ride.

That building off in the distance is home-ish

Along the ride. A dozen No Tresspassing signs and a trail camera to catch those who do.

And this little guy strutting around a field

And this. It's a state of mind...

gromitdaddy screwed with this post 04-26-2015 at 07:54 PM
gromitdaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:27 PM   #2
gromitdaddy OP
Adventurer

hmm... Tried everything I know to show the pictures and still nothing. Nevermind this post then.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:39 PM   #3
RSmith
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Good for you to be back on a ride - I don't care if it's a skateboard, a bicycle, a scooter, a moto, or a horse - anything that gets me moving outside is terrific.

Good luck on the pix..
RSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:44 PM   #4
stillwater0302
g00ber

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gromitdaddy View Post
Yes, it's a scooter... I'm secure enough to not care. After being mostly immobile for the better part of the last two years, at this point, any ride not to work and back home is an adventure to me. Would I love to be able to jump on an "adventure" bike and spend some months going till the road ends? Of course. But several things get in the way of that... I need an auto or semi-auto transmission (ankle issues), and my legs aren't 8 feet long and hopping into the saddle of most adventure bikes is painful (back issues). And then there's the cost. So it's a scooter. I can deal with that for now.

So a brand spanking new Honda Forza ABS is in the garage. Finally I can range a little farther than was practical on a 50cc Vespa. Yes, I know you could go around the world on a 50cc Vespa... If you're perfectly healthy and in your 20's

Today's ride. Officially, 42 degrees when I left, 45 when I got home. By the lake? Probably in the 30's. 59 miles... Not bad for getting used to a new bike and not having done much riding in two years. Fuel mileage working it's way up into the 60's... not terrible. Bike felt great, and I'm starting to get the hang of it. Windshield isn't bad at all, although I may still cut it down a bit. Sliders adventure pants are really nice, but I have to play a little more with the positioning of the knee armor. A good mornings ride.

That building off in the distance is home-ish

Along the ride. A dozen No Tresspassing signs and a trail camera to catch those who do.

And this little guy strutting around a field
You're welcome.

(Right-click "Copy Image URL." Use that resulting URL in the [ IMG ] [ /IMG] )
Old 04-26-2015, 07:48 PM   #5
gromitdaddy OP
Adventurer

Thank you. It's slightly different on each forum I use.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:18 PM   #6
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 3,181
The Forza is cool!

Happy to follow along.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:46 PM   #7
Chillis
Land Barge Pilot

Oddometer: 4,038
Looking great. I was interested in a Forza before snagging the Smax.

Did you try it out with the stock shield or straight to the tall?
Chillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:36 AM   #8
gromitdaddy OP
Adventurer

Rode home from the dealer (11 miles) on the stock shield, and only a couple of very short (1 mile) rides with it. Probably okay in the summer, but I don't like catching the wind in my chest so much. And worse, it would blow up under my helmet and into my eyes, even with the chin shield.

gromitdaddy screwed with this post 04-27-2015 at 09:15 AM
gromitdaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:53 PM   #9
gromitdaddy OP
Adventurer

Yesterday's ride. Only 40 miles, but remember, I'm just getting back to it.

The real target of the day

With the exception of maybe some of the guest houses, this was the smallest house along this road by several thousand square feet.

That's some chicken

Sheep! I wonder which one's Shawn...
Old Today, 06:21 PM   #10
macclad
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Nice pics.

Hey, so what if it's a (killer!) scooter. Looks like a great setup and you're gettin' out there on the road. Congrats and thanks for the tour!
macclad is offline   Reply With Quote