User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2015, 05:04 PM   #1
squawk77 OP
Dreamer

Oddometer: 593
Op QUEBEC

Situation: Québec contains an unfathomable network of public forestry roads and trails through mostly uninhabited, rugged and scenic terrain that adventure riders seek

Mission: To explore potential routes and locations within this vast autonomous region in order to gather geographic and imagery intelligence for the ADVrider community

Execution: Day trips and excursions of opportunity when time and weather permits, in accordance with local laws/regulations and respect for the environment

Service/Support: Be prepared to operate autonomously in the backcountry without resupply or access to modern amenities for up to 3 days and 500 kms

Command/Signals: International Emergency Response Coordination Centre via SPOT satellite messenger and ADVriders via wireless telecoms, when able
Old 06-23-2015, 05:07 PM   #2
squawk77 OP
Dreamer

Old 06-23-2015, 05:17 PM   #3
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,312
Do go on, this sounds interesting!

Old 06-23-2015, 05:38 PM   #4
squawk77 OP
Dreamer

I finally overcame the motorbike importation process from Europe to Québec.. The bike had to be inspected by the CBSA, BMW, RIV and finally Québec itself. Of course each step was as if they'd never imported a bike before. Meanwhile I stripped the accessories and changed the tires, brake fluid, air filter and oil.. I even tried polishing the exhaust like a hog. I need to get out riding soon..

So I recently got tasked to go to Ontario and saw an opportunity combine this with an adv ride. I'm actually saving the crown the higher cost of a flight (or being paid to motorbike on duty travel) Win win! This week happens to be la fête nationale in Québec which I plan to use for a shakedown ride around the Monts-Valin. I hope to arrive in Ottawa for Canada Day.. off road via Chibougamau.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:44 PM   #5
squawk77 OP
Dreamer

Shakedown

Today a friend and I did a loop around the Monts-Valin as we had the day off for la fête nationale. We started with the Route du Fjord along the Saguenay river and then turned up the Chemin de la ZEC Martin Valin. Here we had to pay $11 each to enter the ZEC which includes AirMedic coverage.. It was already a cloudy morning at 14c and now as we climbed into the clouds the temp dropped to 8c. We visited my old radar site and then stopped at Auberge 31 for coffee and lunch by the fire with a serene view. We were the only 2 there for lunch and only some loggers were booked in the rooms. In the winter the place is packed full of snowmobilers.

After lunch the sun came out and we turned westbound on the piste 93 trail through the Parc National des Monts-valin towards the Valinouet ski hill. This was a great trail for the F800GS; interesting and scenic but not too technical. Some of the hills were washed out so you had to pick your line through the ruts and loose rocks but most of it was a nice pace. I used to snowmobile on these trails but it was my first time out there on the GS. After the ski hill we took some ATV trails back down to the Route du Fjord. I've never seen ATV trails like this.. it was like divided ATV highways. I'll have to explore this area more extensively when I can.

squawk77 screwed with this post 06-24-2015 at 07:09 PM
squawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:54 PM   #6
squawk77 OP
Dreamer

squawk77 screwed with this post 06-26-2015 at 02:03 PM
Old 06-25-2015, 08:18 PM   #7
squawk77 OP
Dreamer

Op QUEBEC

North of Chicoutimi there is a massive restricted airspace used for air to air combat training. I used to work at the mobile radar squadron controlling the missions and planning deployments of the radar. The radar site is located in the Monts-Valin to get a better coverage of the training area while in garrison. I once demonstrated a mission for Peter MacKay from this site in the small deployable radar shelter. I hadn't been up to the radar site for about 5 years. It's not far from the Auberge du 31 which I will cover in another post. I used to snowmobile out to various radar and antenna sites and I hope to revisit some of them on the GS.

squawk77 screwed with this post 06-26-2015 at 02:06 PM
Old 06-26-2015, 03:52 PM   #8
squawk77 OP
Dreamer

I'm preparing to depart from the Chicoutimi area tomorrow for Belleville via a portion of the Trans Canada Adventure Trail (TCAT) up to Chibougamau and then south through Ottawa. I have a rough goal to arrive in Ottawa for Canada Day but I want to enjoy my time in the backcountry as well. Last week I ordered a light travel fishing rod on amazon.ca and today I bought my fishing permit and tackle. I've been spooling up the reel and digging up some bait and the bike is mostly ready to go. The TCAT tracks that I will follow were loaded in my GPS 60CSx last week and I have a topo map of Quebec and Ontario.

Challenges: Packing my camping gear and work clothes/laptop into 30L panniers. The essentials will fit but but I may not be able to bring everything I wanted

Constraints: Must arrive at my destination no later than 6 July. I have preserved some time for flexibility in case there are delays.

Risks:

Weather - Heavy rain could make the route more difficult than expected and possibly impassable on a loaded F800GS. Based on the forecast I'm accepting the risk

Fuel - Some of the legs are +300kms and if I came to an obstacle after 200kms I don't have the fuel to double back. I'm accepting the risk of carrying 2 x 1L bottles instead of a 5L jug

Old 06-26-2015, 04:00 PM   #9
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,004
Attacking a ride with military type assessment and precision.
In.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:01 AM   #10
Maddin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Hi,

since I am waiting in Halifax for my motorcycle to start the TCAT (should arrive on 29th), i look forward to read your RR. -> I'm in too :-)

Cheers Martin
Maddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 04:45 AM   #11
Rocer10
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Your S. Ont. route my take you near Foymount that you may find worth a nostalgic visit. Foymount is reputed to be the highest inhabited site in Ontario and site of a former radar base, I think the Pine Tree Line. When the base was closed the base housing went on the open market and is pretty well re-established although there are 2 or 3 empty 3 storey apartment buildings which are remnants of the former base. The only remains of the radar domes are the cement foundations. I'm not sure if it is still open but there used to be an outlet store for outdoor clothing/camping equipment of the Sierra Design brand. I think they were seconds or returned items that were repaired at that site. A couple of ladies operated a tea shop in what was the former base brig. We used to stop there for lunch as they made their own bread and soup which was always a real treat especially on a cool fall day which is when we tended to ride that way enjoying fall colours. The last time we were back (several years now) the tea shop had closed.

There is also a radio telescope dome deep in Algonquin Park. They offer tours and even have accommodations but both are by reservation only.

Looking forward to following your ride.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:05 AM   #12
squawk77 OP
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocer10 View Post
There is also a radio telescope dome deep in Algonquin Park. They offer tours and even have accommodations but both are by reservation only.

Looking forward to following your ride.

This might be a neat side trip if I can swing it maybe on my return. I also visited many of the abandoned radar sites in that area before the summit in 2010. Nostalgic indeed.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:25 AM   #13
squawk77 OP
Dreamer

This morning I hit the road after a small delay. My GPS somehow reset its internal memory so I had to reload the tracks and waypoints. I slabbed it out to Alma and then turned north to join the TCAT. The TKC80s handle oddly on pavement with all the added weight; might just need more tire pressure. I can see justification to buy a steering damper now, the loaded bike speed wobbles easily on loose gravel. I arrived at a restaurant surrounded by massive logging trucks just in time for lunch. Feels like I'm in the middle of nowhere already but I still have LTE coverage. Goal for the rest of the day is to catch my supper and avoid becoming someone else's.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:51 PM   #14
squawk77 OP
Dreamer

From a barstool in the only bar in Parent:

I followed the TCAT along some great little dirt roads in the woods and sandy trails through blueberry fields. I rode past the falls in Dolbeau and filled up at the last little station outside of town.. before the 300km leg to Chibougamau. The route begins as a wide open logging road through the woods and turns into a winding sandy trail between lakes and clear cut fields of wild flowers and dead wood. The riding here is truly sublime. The surface is soft and sandy yet wet and squishy at the same time. It's not the typical sand or mud or rocks, it's some kind of heavenly mix of all three.

I easily found the perfect camping spot off the trail by a lake. Someone had recently landed a small boat there and prepared a fire pit full of scrap wood. I put the scrap wood to the side (you never ever ever burn another Canadian's fire wood) and collected a pile of tinder and dead wood in no time. I waded into the shallow soft sandy lake and attempted to catch my supper. I could hear a moose in the distance doing the same, or something large in the water. I got some bites but no hook. The mosquitoes however got their fill of me until I got the fire going. I watched the fire and listened to the loons and sounds past midnight.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:21 PM   #15
shepoutside
Canadian - eh!

Oddometer: 168
><((((º< <º))))>< Kevin
shepoutside is offline   Reply With Quote