Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2012, 06:12 AM   #1531
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
I play a little myself. On a scale of 1-10 I'm a .5 but lock me in a room with a couple beers and I'm Doc Phucking Watson. Kind the way I become Micheal Jordon when I'm alone in the gym shooting baskets, it's all fun.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:32 AM   #1532
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Oddometer: 3,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastroman View Post
I play a little myself. On a scale of 1-10 I'm a .5 but lock me in a room with a couple beers and I'm Doc Phucking Watson. Kind the way I become Micheal Jordon when I'm alone in the gym shooting baskets, it's all fun.
On a scale of 1-10 I don't even register a pulse, but the sound of an acoustic guitar, in skilled hands, takes my breath away. One of these days..............................

Do you know Wayne Henderson? Here he is noodling on my Garrison after a gig he played in Floyd several years ago:

Here's s'more on Wayne:

And here's your hero Doc Watson picking in Wayne's kitchen several Christmas's ago (look close and you'll see Sammy Shelor in the background):

And a Christmas jam with Wayne and Friends:

Great stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fast Ferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:41 AM   #1533
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
I'm a big Wayne Henderson fan. Man what an honor it must be to have him play your guitar. I took my daughter to see him play in Stuart last fall and he let her strum a few chords on his guitar. Seemed like a really nice guy. I've always wanted to take a spin down to Grayson and check out his shop. I hear he's open for that.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #1534
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastroman View Post
I'm a big Wayne Henderson fan. Man what an honor it must be to have him play your guitar. I took my daughter to see him play in Stuart last fall and he let her strum a few chords on his guitar. Seemed like a really nice guy. I've always wanted to take a spin down to Grayson and check out his shop. I hear he's open for that.
I've got a GREAT Wayne Henderson story, complete with pix, but prolly can't carve out the time to spin it 'til after the weekend; please Staintune'd.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:52 PM   #1535
fivestringman
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I have met and talked with Sammy several times. I have some videos from early 2000 of the Lonesome River Band at Thousand Trails campground in Advance when Milton Harkey had his festival down there, unfortunately they are not digital so I haven't been able to upload them. I will plug the band I play with real quickly though, that's me on the banjo.
http://youtu.be/2iSBNHMEVFU
fivestringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #1536
MarkNC
Just Strom'in Along

Oddometer: 200
Thanks for the great pics of the Bluefield Rail Yard. I was born and raised there and have driven by
the yard 100 times without a second glance. You pics bring a whole new meaning to the area. I wish
I had your patience to stop and take more photos and just slow down and take in the beauty around us.
You taste in music ain't too bad neither. LOL
Old 04-16-2012, 04:17 AM   #1537
Dnutz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
>>>can Ferris come out and play with us this fall??

Bhuff, I know my Sweetie is long overdue for a looooong adventure and would enjoy seeing him off - the reality of our world these days kinda limits both of us to weekend adventures. All that said, will see what comes up.
D
Dnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:34 AM   #1538
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivestringman View Post
I have met and talked with Sammy several times. I have some videos from early 2000 of the Lonesome River Band at Thousand Trails campground in Advance when Milton Harkey had his festival down there, unfortunately they are not digital so I haven't been able to upload them. I will plug the band I play with real quickly though, that's me on the banjo.
http://youtu.be/2iSBNHMEVFU
Excellent, thanks for sharing!

I've taken the liberty to embed the video below, along with a couple others (with some dude by the name of Christopher hammerin' on his banjer in the third vid ).

An appreciation for old-time and bluegrass music is fairly new to me (I'm more of a classic rocker, truth be told), but living here in the Appalachians you can't help but fall in love with the music of the mountains.

Thanks again; I hope Denise and I get a chance to see you guys perform live some time. :-):-)

Old 04-16-2012, 05:47 AM   #1539
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkNC View Post
Thanks for the great pics of the Bluefield Rail Yard. I was born and raised there and have driven by
the yard 100 times without a second glance. You pics bring a whole new meaning to the area. I wish
I had your patience to stop and take more photos and just slow down and take in the beauty around us.
You taste in music ain't too bad neither. LOL
Hey Mark, many thanks! I rode across the steel-truss bridge you see in the background...

...several times and liked the high view of the yard from up there, but there was enough traffic on the bridge, and no place to truly get out of the way, that I opted not to shoot any photos from up there.

I did a couple laps of the yard angling for photos, saw the entry gate and said what the heck, and rode right on in liked I owned the place. I spent about a half-hour wandering around on foot, and no one said boo. I was hoping for more "action" but I'm still pleased with the photos I got, and the experience of being that close to the locos (several of which were idling).

Thanks again.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:06 AM   #1540
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Kevin Richardson and Cuttin' Edge

Nice!
Old 04-17-2012, 02:49 PM   #1541
fivestringman
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I appreciate the compliments, we just plunk along for the fun of it It's starting to interfere with my v-strom though.
fivestringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:01 AM   #1542
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivestringman View Post
I appreciate the compliments, we just plunk along for the fun of it It's starting to interfere with my v-strom though.
"...just plunk along for the fun of it..." describes my riding style to a T.

The one vid says you're in Winston. My good bud Prior is next door to you in KVegas, and I'm down that way (or he's up this way) fairly often; we should all hook up one of these days.

I used to do the V-Strom thing, one of the best bikes I've ever owned. Too tall for me, really, but that's my fault, not the bike's fault. Bought it new in Colorado in the middle of an around-the-country road trip with JB2. Had a bit of an issue registering it in Cali (where I lived at the time) when I got back...

Old 04-18-2012, 08:22 AM   #1543
JB2
Open Road

Oddometer: 364
Bike Swapper

>>> I used to do the V-Strom thing

Funny thing I was telling someone the other day about you buying that bike in the middle of our epic adventure. Excuse me for reminiscing but that was one helluva a trip brother. I'm Jonesin' bad for something comparable. Meeting Alex, Reep and Gentleman Jim for some asphalt and dirt road sparring in Arkansas. Hope it keeps my wandering addicition at bay for a few months.

BTW, I haven't met anyone personally who has swapped rides in the middle of a trip. I'm sure that person is out there but you are the only person "I" know that's done it. Glad I was there!
JB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:45 AM   #1544
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB2 View Post
...Excuse me for reminiscing but that was one helluva a trip brother...
They don't get much better than that one, amigo. One of these days......................

Old 04-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #1545
JB2
Open Road

Oddometer: 364
Crested Butte

Hey that last pic... you and I had the police keeping an eye on us for a few days. That was taken just south of Crested Butte after we were chased out of town by the local LEO's riding around in an Escalade police vehicle. We must have been to scruffy for the likes of folks who called Crested Butte home. I knew we were in trouble when we rolled into town and there was a CLUB-MED. Oh well, we found a place the day you bought the V-Strom that we coulda set-up camp and stayed for life in Ouray. Good times, bad times, Lord we had our share.

Some things I'll never forget. Thanks brother.
JB2 is offline   Reply With Quote