User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2012, 04:20 AM   #1666
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Oddometer: 4,023
Big Jim's Ride/Memorial Day Weekend

This is our new friend Jim, who was sitting out on the back deck at Mt. Pisgah Lodge
quietly creating his lovely water-color paintings and visiting with the occasional curious tourist.

Denise and I chatted with Jim for perhaps an hour, very much enjoying his take
on the mountain way of life (he was born and raised just down the Parkway from Mt. Pisgah) and the world in general.

Such a peaceful, gentle soul, this man.
Fast Ferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:45 AM   #1667
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

I found this pretty little love note waiting for me upon returning from a quick pit stop along the Parkway.
Thanks, Babe.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:53 AM   #1668
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

One of the Parkway's many obligatory photo stops, with an emphatic from the co-pilot...
Old 05-31-2012, 04:55 AM   #1669
Mr. Magoo
n/a

Oddometer: 4,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Ferris View Post
Gracias, amigo! How's the new ride treating you?? :-)
It's great! Spent a weekend in the mountains tossing it around on a long break-in ride and had a lot of fun riding with inmate Sweetfeed. Serviced it, cleaned it, and then Trish and I took the back way to Savannah last weekend to support friends at a ballroom dance competition on the river. We had a great ride and great fun riding and dancing. Took another backway home which was fantastic. We found ourselves in the middle of nowhere Georgia, very low on gas, and somewhat lost ... rolled into a shabby little store near Hiltonyia (sp) that had pumps. I roll up,park,and notice a sportbike parked in front. Took a closer look, got off and walked over and took a jaw dropping drooling look. It was a brand new Ducati Panigale. Right there in the middle of, forgotten by time, deep country Georgia, and not mountain Georgia. I was a astonished. There are very few in the country and I've never even seen one. The owner and I chatted and he had me swing a leg over. What a machine! Crazy! He lives around there and was putting break-in mile on it before he took it to his other place in Blairsville. Funny what you find just blatt'n around the countryside. It was a great trip on a great bike. Love-n it!
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:01 AM   #1670
Mr. Magoo
n/a

Quote:

One of the Parkway's many obligatory photo stops, with an emphatic from the co-pilot...
When I was at school in Cullowhee in the early 80's I had a house on Speedwell Rd. that I shared with three other geology majors. We all had dual sport bikes. We would ride up Cullowhee mountain, take trails for a couple of hours, roll through a balsam grove, up a steep embankment, and pop out onto the parkway right at that sign! Good times. Tourists at the overlook always gave a double-take. Used to roll the Parkway to Graveyard field to pick blueberries.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:24 AM   #1671
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Franklin awaits. Time to catch a draft and beat feet
(and hope that guy's duffel bag doesn't suddenly fall off in front of us...):

Old 05-31-2012, 05:27 AM   #1672
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Old 05-31-2012, 05:29 AM   #1673
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Old 05-31-2012, 05:33 AM   #1674
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

~ This. Doesn't. Suck. ~
Old 05-31-2012, 07:06 AM   #1675
JB2
Open Road

Oddometer: 394
This. Doesn't. Suck.

No it doesn't Ferris and great pics as usual my friend. Great weekend was had by all. Dickey broke down on the way home about 35 miles from his place. He lost the top end on at least one cylinder. Gentleman Jim had his sights set on Cody, WY to meet up with a friend today. He might be home by the end of the weekend. Must be nice to be retired and have the means to travel endlessly around the country. Yes, I am jealous Mr. Attebery!
JB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:10 AM   #1676
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
It's great! Spent a weekend in the mountains tossing it around on a long break-in ride and had a lot of fun riding with inmate Sweetfeed. Serviced it, cleaned it, and then Trish and I took the back way to Savannah last weekend to support friends at a ballroom dance competition on the river. We had a great ride and great fun riding and dancing. Took another backway home which was fantastic. We found ourselves in the middle of nowhere Georgia, very low on gas, and somewhat lost ... rolled into a shabby little store near Hiltonyia (sp) that had pumps. I roll up,park,and notice a sportbike parked in front. Took a closer look, got off and walked over and took a jaw dropping drooling look. It was a brand new Ducati Panigale. Right there in the middle of, forgotten by time, deep country Georgia, and not mountain Georgia. I was a astonished. There are very few in the country and I've never even seen one. The owner and I chatted and he had me swing a leg over. What a machine! Crazy! He lives around there and was putting break-in mile on it before he took it to his other place in Blairsville. Funny what you find just blatt'n around the countryside. It was a great trip on a great bike. Love-n it!
Great story, and nice new wheels, amigo:

Have I told you lately that you suck?!?

Old 05-31-2012, 11:12 AM   #1677
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Quote:
When I was at school in Cullowhee in the early 80's I had a house on Speedwell Rd. that I shared with three other geology majors. We all had dual sport bikes. We would ride up Cullowhee mountain, take trails for a couple of hours, roll through a balsam grove, up a steep embankment, and pop out onto the parkway right at that sign! Good times. Tourists at the overlook always gave a double-take.
Think our Harleys could replicate that ride up to the Parkway???
Old 05-31-2012, 11:22 AM   #1678
Mr. Magoo
n/a

Quote:
Great story, and nice new wheels, amigo:

Have I told you lately that you suck?!?

Think our Harleys could replicate that ride up to the Parkway???

Hehehehe ....

The ride: sure .... up the Parkway. The HD's up the trail would too much like work for me ...

We'll hook up soon I believe. You might have to be patient, I'm slow and look around alot ...but don't really get anything really done; like taking beautiful pictures....

I still want to buy ya'll lunch for making the effort to attempt to see me race at VIR back then ...
Old 05-31-2012, 12:32 PM   #1679
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Quote:
You might have to be patient, I'm slow and look around alot...
Hmmm, Kristi and Carlos have painted an entirely different picture of your riding style...

Quote:
I still want to buy ya'll lunch for making the effort to attempt to see me race at VIR back then ...

Well, in truth we didn't try very hard to crash the gate at VIR that day, as we heard you were slow and liked to look around a lot!!

Lunch sounds good; we'll bring the ceegars. Where would half-way be for us and you? Little Switzerland-ish??
Old 05-31-2012, 12:44 PM   #1680
Mr. Magoo
n/a

Quote:
Hmmm, Kristi and Carlos have painted an entirely different picture of your riding style...

Well, in truth we didn't try very hard to crash the gate at VIR that day, as we heard you were slow and liked to look around a lot!!

Lunch sounds good; we'll bring the ceegars. Where would half-way be for us and you? Little Switzerland-ish??

Racing changed me. Now, it just feels pointless to go fast on the street. Probably just getting old... sometimes I do lose my mind and ride at velocities some would deem reckless. I miss racing, but now have to get the kids through University... which is thrilling in itself.

That day at VIR, I did have a good look around. In one of the 600 classes, the rider in front of me highsided going into the rollercoaster and blocked all available lines. I had to ride off the track at race pace, and ride it out, all the way down the grass hill before I was waved back on the track by the corner worker. Nice little tour.

Little S sounds great, I'll try to get a date out of Trish. We work lots of weekends. Mike.