ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 07:36 AM   #1486
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer
 
CHRIS_D's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Southside of ATL, GA
Oddometer: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutherngintelmen View Post
Got a question on mounting dash to TT 8" Race Light - I purchased the ballast plate at the same time as as the lamp.

But I didn't like the exposed reminder that KTM's electrics department modeled loom on bowl of noodles.

Some of y'all have talked rewire but I opted for camo - outa site outa mind. Until it fails that is.

Drilled the ballast plate to receive plastic dash (trimming required) then cut and pounded aluminum plate for sides. If doing it again, I'd opt for single plate replacing ballast and 2 sides.



Side plates fit under ballast mounting with shared fasteners.
Nice Job!!
__________________
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
2011 Victory Cross Country
CHRIS_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:51 AM   #1487
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend
 
Sutherngintelmen's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: ATL
Oddometer: 1,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS_D View Post
Nice Job!!
Thanks

Rattle canned them factory black.

__________________
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:49 PM   #1488
Barman
Way Offline
 
Barman's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY
Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryman View Post
Picked up some closed chamber forks for the 690.
Anybody see a problem with drilling and tapping the holes for the speedo pickup??
Seems a lot simpler than shipping a bracket from Europe.
JB Weld.
__________________
I am at one with my duality.
Barman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:55 PM   #1489
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies
 
crankshaft's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Burlingtron,VT
Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryman View Post
Picked up some closed chamber forks for the 690.
Anybody see a problem with drilling and tapping the holes for the speedo pickup??
Seems a lot simpler than shipping a bracket from Europe.

I've got a bracket
__________________
Just say'IN
crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #1490
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT
 
Mudguts's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Some were in , lostralia
Oddometer: 2,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryman View Post
Picked up some closed chamber forks for the 690.
Anybody see a problem with drilling and tapping the holes for the speedo pickup??
Seems a lot simpler than shipping a bracket from Europe.
I used a dermal to make the flat pad the drill and tap I.d take a photo but my forks are getting revalved
Mudguts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:42 PM   #1491
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!
 
Seth S's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: sanity?
Oddometer: 4,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudguts View Post
I used a dermal to make the flat pad the drill and tap I.d take a photo but my forks are getting revalved
would that be a subdermal or a patch?
__________________
Seth S

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:27 PM   #1492
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man
 
bobzilla's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Lost & Found again in the Great Basin
Oddometer: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
would that be a subdermal or a patch?
__________________
Ride the DEZ
05 FE 550 Husaberg plated
08 FE 650 Husaberg plated
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #1493
motoged
Studly Adventurer
 
motoged's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Kamloops, BC
Oddometer: 864
Tire Question

Riders,
I am ready to put a new tire on the front....a friend recommended for my particular purpose (Arizona desert) that I seriously consider a Pirelli XCMH.

So, I googled it and it got a lot of good reviews....and found that it used to be called an MT18. That rang a bell and I went to my tire stash in the garage and found one I bought a few years ago for the 450 in Baja...but never used as I went with a Maxxis Desert IT (liked it). My MT18 is a HD model, which seems to be described in the same terms as the XCMH.

So I have an "unused" XCMH that was made in "06" in Brazil

Here is the question: Will a 5-year old tire be too hard for a week of desert riding??? I am a bit worried that it will chunk or kak somehow as the rubber has "cured" for 5 years. (I can scrub it off locally on the 450 this summer and spring for a new XCMH).


Waddya think, folks?

TIA

XCMH:




MT18:

__________________
Ged Schwartz
Kamloops , BC


Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track




motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:59 PM   #1494
blackSP
62 6c 61 63 6b 53 50
 
blackSP's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Amsterdam
Oddometer: 450
IS there a real difference between the 2? I go for the lowest price, youŕe gonna shred them equally quick so...
__________________
2014 KTM 450 EXC - 2013 Harley-Davidson XL 1200 C

b l a c k S P e c i a l s
blackSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:26 AM   #1495
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!
 
StevenD's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Holland, Amserdammed
Oddometer: 1,110
Hi guy's,

Ive got the option to buy a really really nice rear shock that was used on ktm's Dakar bikes (the 690's)
Now i'm trying to find out if it will fit!
It seems that the enduro has the reservoir on top of the controls and the dakar has it under the controls.

No i know that the link is just a little diffrent, but i think i can solve that (and there's room for about 285mm travel with the standard link, at least!)
But my main consern is the clearance to the tank.

I've got the option to go ahead and test fit it, but i'm hoping that someone has tried it a bit already!!

__________________
999 LC8 Rat-Rally custom - 500 EXC - XR666R '85
StevenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:28 AM   #1496
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man
 
bobzilla's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Lost & Found again in the Great Basin
Oddometer: 870
Hey Ged
i like the M12 for the front. good wear and very good feel. not dot but i dont give a shit
__________________
Ride the DEZ
05 FE 550 Husaberg plated
08 FE 650 Husaberg plated
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #1497
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles
 
Renazco's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, Ca.
Oddometer: 4,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
Riders,
I am ready to put a new tire on the front....a friend recommended for my particular purpose (Arizona desert) that I seriously consider a Pirelli XCMH.

So, I googled it and it got a lot of good reviews....and found that it used to be called an MT18. That rang a bell and I went to my tire stash in the garage and found one I bought a few years ago for the 450 in Baja...but never used as I went with a Maxxis Desert IT (liked it). My MT18 is a HD model, which seems to be described in the same terms as the XCMH.

So I have an "unused" XCMH that was made in "06" in Brazil

Here is the question: Will a 5-year old tire be too hard for a week of desert riding??? I am a bit worried that it will chunk or kak somehow as the rubber has "cured" for 5 years. (I can scrub it off locally on the 450 this summer and spring for a new XCMH).


Waddya think, folks?

TIA

XCMH:
The MT 18 superseded is the same tire and works great in the desert.
This is all I use on virtually all dirt terrain, works well on pavement as well.

I sometimes run the Maxxis IT rear if I plan on hitting rough, sharp rock desert terrain, although the Pirelli Scorpion XC rear has never let me down.
No flats so far on either, IT rear is not good for tarmac, she hobbles, spits nobs and wears fast on tarmac.







.
__________________
Seats www.renazco.com
Parts & Accesories www.renazcoracing.com
Renazco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:33 AM   #1498
ktmmitch
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: uk
Oddometer: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenD View Post
Hi guy's,

Ive got the option to buy a really really nice rear shock that was used on ktm's Dakar bikes (the 690's)
Now i'm trying to find out if it will fit!
It seems that the enduro has the reservoir on top of the controls and the dakar has it under the controls.

No i know that the link is just a little diffrent, but i think i can solve that (and there's room for about 285mm travel with the standard link, at least!)
But my main consern is the clearance to the tank.

I've got the option to go ahead and test fit it, but i'm hoping that someone has tried it a bit already!!

We have investigated using these,but will not fit.We are now having some custom-made shocks,with R travel,which will have a remote chamber,to be fixed to the frame.This will make them run cooler,and more oil capacity.
We expect them to retail for about 650 UK,plus shipping.

www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk
ktmmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:14 PM   #1499
motoged
Studly Adventurer
 
motoged's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Kamloops, BC
Oddometer: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackSP View Post
IS there a real difference between the 2? I go for the lowest price, youŕe gonna shred them equally quick so...
Yeah, the difference would be one tire is 5-6 years older than another as my post indicates

I will likely buy a new one for the ride away from home base...
__________________
Ged Schwartz
Kamloops , BC


Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track




motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:20 PM   #1500
blackSP
62 6c 61 63 6b 53 50
 
blackSP's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Amsterdam
Oddometer: 450
That's what happens if you quickly read the site on your smartphone, small screen, hurry hurry, miss the plot!
__________________
2014 KTM 450 EXC - 2013 Harley-Davidson XL 1200 C

b l a c k S P e c i a l s
blackSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014