Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2014, 06:38 AM   #15781
mrwwwhite
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by seth s View Post
just cut the end off of your stock lever...the end of mine broke off in a fall and has been the perfect length ever since. If you do a race of some sort you may have to put a ball on the end to satisfy the tech inspector

+1
mrwwwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:45 AM   #15782
itnanti
aka "cautious cotta"

Oddometer: 436
So I went to clean the uni air filter this weekend and when lifted out of the air box I noticed a small puddle of filter oil below it. I'm still on the fence with the oiled filters versus the oem paper filters. I'm not sure why the oil dripped out but last week was hot in Southern California. Maybe the heat and the angle of the filter made the oil drip out of the filter.

itnanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:53 AM   #15783
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprouty115 View Post
Do you need to pull the battery box? Or can you see the area that rubs while the box is still mounted?
Pulled the battery and the tray under it so we could lift the tray that supports the fuses and relays. It was under the fuses where the harness is opened up to allow individual connections.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:59 AM   #15784
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by itnanti View Post
So I went to clean the uni air filter this weekend and when lifted out of the air box I noticed a small puddle of filter oil below it. I'm still on the fence with the oiled filters versus the oem paper filters. I'm not sure why the oil dripped out but last week was hot in Southern California. Maybe the heat and the angle of the filter made the oil drip out of the filter.
I wouldn't worry about it that much. Strain as much excess oil out of the filter as you can before installing it. What you see is quite common depending on the amount.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:15 AM   #15785
dukethedog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Turn Signal Failure on my 690R- help....

I went in for my annual Virginia inspection, and learned that my left turn signals both front and rear are not working. If you look at the headlight, you can see it dim slightly like something is trying to blink, but nothing with the front and rear left signals. What do I need to replace? Thanks!
Best part was the inspector (who will remain nameless) passed me anyway and said I had to promise to only turn right....funny guy
01' HD Heritage Springer
09' Bimota DB7
dukethedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:23 AM   #15786
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukethedog View Post
I went in for my annual Virginia inspection, and learned that my left turn signals both front and rear are not working. If you look at the headlight, you can see it dim slightly like something is trying to blink, but nothing with the front and rear left signals. What do I need to replace? Thanks!
Best part was the inspector (who will remain nameless) passed me anyway and said I had to promise to only turn right....funny guy

not too many things in that circuit: couple of bulbs, a few connectors, a flasher relay, and a switch. I would start by checking your connections, then try swapping connections with the other side to see if the lefts will flash when the right is turned on. If so then you know your bulb units are fine.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:25 AM   #15787
itnanti
aka "cautious cotta"

Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
I wouldn't worry about it that much. Strain as much excess oil out of the filter as you can before installing it. What you see is quite common depending on the amount.

Cool. It was towards the front of the air box in one of the little dips. Towards the intake in the back it was dry. It seems most of the dirt and air was being sucked through the front square of the filter. The back square was clean.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:49 AM   #15788
Tbone675
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Cool. It was towards the front of the air box in one of the little dips. Towards the intake in the back it was dry. It seems most of the dirt and air was being sucked through the front square of the filter. The back square was clean.
Most people buy 2 filters oil both let one hang for a day or more then throw it a zip lock till your ready for the next change. No matter how good you wring it out there is still excess oil. Let it hang a few days and most of the excess will drip out.

The front is closer to the intake and will draw harder. As it plugs more will be forced through the back of the filter.
Tbone675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:54 AM   #15789
itnanti
aka "cautious cotta"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone675 View Post
Most people buy 2 filters oil both let one hang for a day or more then throw it a zip lock till your ready for the next change. No matter how good you wring it out there is still excess oil. Let it hang a few days and most of the excess will drip out.

The front is closer to the intake and will draw harder. As it plugs more will be forced through the back of the filter.

Thanks. Getting used to this bike. Way different design from dirt bikes.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:28 AM   #15790
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Quote:
Thanks. Getting used to this bike. Way different design from dirt bikes.

its the second wheel that really sets it apart

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Old 05-05-2014, 11:25 AM   #15791
itnanti
aka "cautious cotta"

New and improved KTM690 WUNDERFEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
its the second wheel that really sets it apart

Not sure what you mean but let me clarify my comments. The filter on this bike is inny and facing down. On the excs and most dirt bikes the filter is an outy and sideways. Gravity and heat from the 690 seem to me to be the culprit for the puddle of oil on the inside side of the air box. On an exc or my old Klx if there was excess oil it would be on the outside not the inside.

itnanti screwed with this post 05-05-2014 at 11:31 AM
Old 05-05-2014, 11:31 AM   #15792
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Not sure what you mean but let me clarify my comments. The filter on this bike is inny. On the excs and most dirt bikes the filter is an outy. Gravity and heat from the 690 seem to me to be the culprit for the puddle of oil on the inside side of the air box. On an exc or my old Klx if there was excess oil it would be on the outside not the inside.
I believe Seth is speaking of the 3rd gear power wheelies.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:40 AM   #15793
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,600
Quote:
So who was it that was responsible for the excess oil in the filter?
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:44 AM   #15794
itnanti
aka "cautious cotta"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
So who was it that was responsible for the excess oil in the filter?

Alright let's move on. Forget I posted

Old 05-05-2014, 11:56 AM   #15795
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Quote:
Alright let's move on. Forget I posted
Sorry, was just teasing you because I wasn't sure how an air filter could be revolutionary different than other bikes. You are correct in that it hangs down instead of being stretched over the airbox. However, my 09 FE450 husaberg sometimes puddles some oil under the filter if the filter is new or a little too oiled. Not the end of the world and I wouldnt worry too much about it unless your airbox is filling with oil.