Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2014, 09:51 AM   #15781
carlosbarrios
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
I would use dielectric grease on all moving parts and contacts.
carlosbarrios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:33 AM   #15782
sprouty115
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpididump View Post
In the middle of installing new upper and lower fuel tank bolt kit from Perun. Anyone got any tips for removing the lower bushings without destroying anything?
As Perun said, the old sleeve should come out fairly easily, but the new one may have more interference. So if it does be careful you don't push out the urethane bushing from the tank. It is an interference fit and is difficult to get back into the tank. If I was to do it again, I would press the new sleeve in while supporting the tank bushing (you could probably use something like an expandable wood clamp).
sprouty115 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:47 AM   #15783
Perun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprouty115 View Post
As Perun said, the old sleeve should come out fairly easily, but the new one may have more interference. So if it does be careful you don't push out the urethane bushing from the tank. It is an interference fit and is difficult to get back into the tank. If I was to do it again, I would press the new sleeve in while supporting the tank bushing (you could probably use something like an expandable wood clamp).
If you are to do it again (now bike? ) - its matter of alignment, not force. Don't forget to grease it. You could try to install bushing on one side, then slide metal sleeve all the way in, maybe even tuck it more in with screwdriver. Here is picture of how it should look on the other side, where you didn't install bushing yet:

IMG_2377 by MaletaBG, on Flickr

Maybe sleeve would not be this much out, but this is the idea.

Than just slide other bushing on the sleeve, and tap it in.

I hope its understandable.
Perun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:17 PM   #15784
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,715
I did finally manage to get it done. WD40 and a pair of pliers to grab and pull them out. I suspect that because the bike is brand new, they fit very snug. With a few thousand Kms on the bike they would probably loosen up a little. Perun's kit is definitely an upgrade over the stock pieces. Well worth the effort and I'm glad I did it.
Poor decisions always lead to great adventures.
thumpididump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:43 PM   #15785
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 4,063
I'm happy to report the EVO 1 map with the uni pod filter are working well. We are 125 miles into our ride. Mostly fast dirt roads. Cruising speeds of 50to 60. Some tight stuff thrown in here and there. No popping at all. I will be looking at the throttle settings later. I would like it to be a little bit quicker on the response. Oh yeah, 125 miles and no low fuel light yet.

Sent from outside my mind.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:50 PM   #15786
Mange
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
I'm happy to report the EVO 1 map with the uni pod filter are working well. We are 125 miles into our ride. Mostly fast dirt roads. Cruising speeds of 50to 60. Some tight stuff thrown in here and there. No popping at all. I will be looking at the throttle settings later. I would like it to be a little bit quicker on the response. Oh yeah, 125 miles and no low fuel light yet.

Only new filter and maps? No slip-on or some other alteration? I've ordered a ktm foam air filter and I'm now wondering if it will gain from a remapping or if a 15 min reset should be sufficient

Skickat från min C6903 via Tapatalk
Mange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:59 PM   #15787
FriedDuck
Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwrek12001 View Post
I'll fix yours if you fix mine...

do an amp draw at the battery... you should find a current draw connecting a meter set on amps at the positive post battery in series... don't start it you'll blow the meter most likely... go around unpluging stuff untill the draw go away.... did you ever put the volt meter on it after the "no ground"?

lucky me i have fault code 90 meaning 9 long flashes, translating to "tpi not plausible"

its starts and idles but has no throttle at all.

using tune ecu my tpi voltages are .67 at the top tpi read out and .72 at the lower one. removing the air box and moving the throttle plate by hand i get .54 v on the top one... So I assume the top voltage is the thad and the bottom is the apad... right??? anyone??

So "assuming" I am right about this.. according to the book my "emergency thad" setting is incorrect and I have to adjust the what ever its called screw with the chrome cap on it....

question of the day, how in bejesus do you get that chrome cap/nut off and is it bad if i unscrewed that screw all the way out?
I had this as well. Turned out my reg/rect was toast. I was getting ~17 volts across the battery terminals. I'd check that before you dig into the TPS adjustment. The aluminum cap unscrews with a little persuasion. I resorted to vice grips (i wrapped it in something to try to avoid marring it--no luck.)

Here's my write-up on adjusting TPS.

Edit: one more thing. When you plug the DR1 connector back-in the TPS values change, which is expected. I wasn't clear on that initially & thought I'd done something wrong.
FriedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:00 PM   #15788
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,966
Fuel light comes on with Ama's map around 120 to 130 miles on a tank and it takes about 2.2 to 2.5 gals to fill her back up which clocks in at around 52ish mpg's. I'd bet you're close to seeing that fuel light D2B. Let us know how far you go.

Dirty
Old 05-04-2014, 01:20 PM   #15789
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 4,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mange View Post
Only new filter and maps? No slip-on or some other alteration? I've ordered a ktm foam air filter and I'm now wondering if it will gain from a remapping or if a 15 min reset should be sufficient

I'm sorry. My post was an update on the project. Yes I have Q4 with spark arrestor as well as all the emission stuff pulled.
Over the weekend I did the map with stock air box and uni filter. I had popping. Go back a couple of pages for some pics.

My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:21 PM   #15790
Mange
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
I'm sorry. My post was an update on the project. Yes I have Q4 with spark arrestor as well as all the emission stuff pulled.
Over the weekend I did the map with stock air box and uni filter. I had popping. Go back a couple of pages for some pics.

Aight ty :)

Mange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:49 PM   #15791
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,588
If you haven't looked at your wiring harness under the batter tray as it comes up under the fuse box you may want to. My bike had some rubbed wires, checked my buddies and his were also rubbed, not as bad but some bare wires.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:51 PM   #15792
sprouty115
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
If you haven't looked at your wiring harness under the batter tray as it comes up under the fuse box you may want to. My bike had some rubbed wires, checked my buddies and his were also rubbed, not as bad but some bare wires.
Do you need to pull the battery box? Or can you see the area that rubs while the box is still mounted?
sprouty115 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:27 PM   #15793
surferbum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
New and improved KTM690 WUNDERFEST

My mirrors twist when traveling at freeway speed. Is the solution to tighten the 3 screws that connect the mirror to the stalk? How tight should these be?
BT2010 - Big Trip 2010 13 days and ...
My Spot WhereAmIriding
surferbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:57 PM   #15794
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedDuck View Post
I had this as well. Turned out my reg/rect was toast. I was getting ~17 volts across the battery terminals. I'd check that before you dig into the TPS adjustment. The aluminum cap unscrews with a little persuasion. I resorted to vice grips (i wrapped it in something to try to avoid marring it--no luck.)

Here's my write-up on adjusting TPS.

Edit: one more thing. When you plug the DR1 connector back-in the TPS values change, which is expected. I wasn't clear on that initially & thought I'd done something wrong.
I changed the reg. last fall. It was good after that... but i will put a volt meter on it to see whats up if anything. I did have it on charge for two days before setting down to work on it...
I worked on it most of the day and including changing the thad tps... pulling the "fuse cap", getting it cleaned resetting all the voltages... then mysteriously it started working... cool, put it all back together, go for a spin, checking it randomly for the rest of the day... it was good....

get all dressed up to go for a rip...roll it out this AM start it and... nothing.. starts and idles but no throttle 9 flashes on the efi light... gave her a kick and some profanity. Push it back in the garage and close the door...
get in the cage ....

so back to the drawing board...

why do i have a feeling it is the throttle body motor.... 1000$

shipwrek12001 screwed with this post 05-04-2014 at 05:06 PM
shipwrek12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:37 PM   #15795
OneEffinName
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Short Clutch Lever

I am a one finger clutch kinda guy (too much trials training I guess). I am looking for a short lever for my 690 - does one exist? I guess I can make one.
2012 GasGas Raga
OneEffinName is offline   Reply With Quote