Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2014, 03:43 PM   #15916
Bike Nomad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaNate View Post
Do engine crash bars make any sense on this bike whatsoever? They wouldn't on my WRR.
I don't think there is definitive answer for that one. Most people don't have them--I've only seen 2 commercial and one one off custom offering (from South Africa) for the 690.

http://rostoffroad.co.za/?product=ktm-crash-bar

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...o-R-up-to-2011

Some people say crash bars transfer loads to the frame in a drop/crash making it more likely to write the bike off? Some people take these bikes RTW, and drop them a bunch of times and keep on going without major damage--then again sometimes a front aux tank gets ruined.

What else is going on the bike--tank panniers to cushion a drop, an extra wide skid plate, slider bobbins, upgraded handle bar protectors, aftermarket front aux tanks in roto-molded plastic or aluminum or fiberglass/composite?

I think in the end it comes down to personal preference.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:19 PM   #15917
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike Nomad View Post
I don't think there is definitive answer for that one. Most people don't have them--I've only seen 2 commercial and one one off custom offering (from South Africa) for the 690.

Some people say crash bars transfer loads to the frame in a drop/crash making it more likely to write the bike off? Some people take these bikes RTW, and drop them a bunch of times and keep on going without major damage--then again sometimes a front aux tank gets ruined.

What else is going on the bike--tank panniers to cushion a drop, an extra wide skid plate, slider bobbins, upgraded handle bar protectors, aftermarket front aux tanks in roto-molded plastic or aluminum or fiberglass/composite?

I agree about the crash bars. Take it from someone who has had a few offs at speed offroad. As long as you have a luggage rack the motor will be protected.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:35 PM   #15918
TexaNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinMotorrad View Post
If your dealer is giving a 15% discount I would get the Akro can and Evo1 lid and get the dealer to put the Akro map on.
The '14 cannot be home tuned with TuneECU you must go to the stealer I'm going to try to keep the exhaust and intake as close to stock as possible unless there's a huge heat problem. I don't need any extra power and I like the quiet. As for the weight, I'd rather skip some lunches than spend $1k.

There was a nice cheap fix a few pages back for the rear brake pedel if you don't want to get an upgrade. Noted, thanks!

You should get Rally Raid tank bolts top and bottom. I don't want to tempt fate here but is anyone aware of the rate at which 2014s exhibit this failure? I think the part numbers are different but that might just be because of the exhaust bracket mount. I don't plan on loading down my bike with a lot of luggage right now, and will reconsider spending $100+ on bolts if I do at some point in the future.

A draw back of the plastic engine guard is it doesn't protect the rear brake cylinder (better check if it's in the same position on the '14 - it may be in a better position now). It's also not flat which make putting on a stand a pain. If anyone could address whether this is different for the '14s I'd be very grateful.

Heated grips? Touring screen? I have both and wouldn't be without. Not for me, at least not now. Being 21, I crave discomfort.

Get a CACycleworks fuel pump. Are the fuel pumps still naughty in the '14s? Can anyone confirm?
Quote:
Howdy,

You haven't been too specific on your intended uses other than the gravel roads, no rock gardens/jump the occasional log bit. Are you going to be commuting long distances, have to drive slab to get to your gravel roads, will you be doing weekend or longer trips with luggage/camping gear? Just doing a little paved road/gravel road near your home? Sorry - I would be more specific if I could but this is my one-bike solution! I will not be regularly commuting at any point and I won't be loading it down with luggage at least for the next few months until I'm sure I get the kinks ironed out. For the time being, I won't be carrying anything that wouldn't fit in a backpack. I plan on using this tank bag that has worked well on every bike I've used it on so far.

I saw your question posted up in one of threads before(this one?) a little while ago--with no responses. yeah *sniffle* that was the other 2014 thread So I figure if you give us more detail on intended use--and maybe some idea of what the dealer can order (cause a lot of the stuff people usually just order directly off of the manufacturer i.e. Rally Raid UK or Highway Dirt Bikes) that the dealer won't slap a big middle man up charge on for you--they of course have to make money too. Yeah, the dealer sent me the 2014 Powerparts catalog and said he'd order anything in there and the discount also applies to anything in his store. I'll be weighing the 15% discount against the difference between PowerParts and Adventurespec, etc. offerings.

My 2 cents based on what you asked and have said would be as follows.

I would upgrade the skid plate.

If you are planning on carrying any luggage on the back I would upgrade the upper and lower tank bolts.

Brake snake is a good idea.

Make sure they do the recall/rear brake lever loctiting/re-torquing thing.

I would add the metal or carbon silicone on case protectors.

I would very highly recommend adding the peripheral radiator brace, and do the zip tie in place mod.

There are a enormous amount of modifications and farkles you can do with this bike--but I would start with those. Thanks, much appreciated!
Quote:

Some people say crash bars transfer loads to the frame in a drop/crash making it more likely to write the bike off? Some people take these bikes RTW, and drop them a bunch of times and keep on going without major damage--then again sometimes a front aux tank gets ruined. I think I'm gonna leave out the crash bars for now. I don't need the extra weight and expense and the bike looks like it'll drop well.

What else is going on the bike--tank panniers to cushion a drop, an extra wide skid plate, slider bobbins, upgraded handle bar protectors, aftermarket front aux tanks in roto-molded plastic or aluminum or fiberglass/composite? Likely none of the above, at least not in the foreseeable future. For the summer, I'm going to be taking it for a few day trips and offroad on some forest trails of varying size, dirt roads and gravel roads. The bike seems well equipped to do so bone stock. I like my current little tail bag and I thought I might see if my dad's lightweight saddlebags will fit OK and carry a day's worth of supplies for less than $800. I'll likely put some foil insulation between them and the exhaust - maybe that will keep them from burning up.

Thanks y'all! One more question - does the exhaust still smoke off the rear turn signal, or after several years is that not a thing anymore?
Old 05-10-2014, 05:36 PM   #15919
TexaNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
I agree about the crash bars. Take it from someone who has had a few offs at speed offroad. As long as you have a luggage rack the motor will be protected.
On the other hand, if I get these crash bars, do you think it might exempt me from needing a radiator brace? They both cost roughly the same...hmmm...

also I don't plan on having a luggage rack for a while :\ I'm pretty sure the bike crashes fine anyway.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:11 PM   #15920
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 802
Quote:

Thanks y'all! One more question - does the exhaust still smoke off the rear turn signal, or after several years is that not a thing anymore?
It didn't melt the turn signal on my 13, but I only had the stock can on for 300 miles, and then put the Wings on. On the 14, I don't know. I do know that the 13 did burn anything, and everything else that got within range of it though lol, including arms, legs, pants etc. Talk about a radiant heater...

Quote:
On the other hand, if I get these crash bars, do you think it might exempt me from needing a radiator brace? They both cost roughly the same...hmmm...

also I don't plan on having a luggage rack for a while :\ I'm pretty sure the bike crashes fine anyway.
The bike does crash pretty well. I went with rad protection over crash bars. The one thing I didn't catch was the brake pedal folding into the clutch cover when I dropped it the first week I owned in in a water crossing. And yes, it did leak oil. I've since added covers to both side cases.
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:49 PM   #15921
Bike Nomad
Gnarly Adventurer

Texanate your multi-quote skills exceed mine. I'll have to respond bit by bit.

Some people have no issue with the stock exhaust and live happily ever after with it. The majority of riders that don't replace the stock can seem to end up burning flesh and or expensive riding gear--typically pants and panniers the first season they ride. *Then* they replace the stock can. For a ball park of around $500 (not $1000) you can get a Wings exhaust http://www.wings.si/ver3/index.html?page=contact Which is a top shelf product. With the quiet insert in (which you should use anyways if you don't re-map) it should be very very close in sound output to stock.

My understanding of the prevailing wisdom is--if you just add a new slip on can--the stock map should work fine with out re-mapping. If you add a new can and open up the intake it gets too lean and requires a new map.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:52 PM   #15922
Bike Nomad
Gnarly Adventurer

..."Being 21, I crave discomfort."...

I have good news. You will absolutely adore the seat, do not consider replacing it.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:07 PM   #15923
Bike Nomad
Gnarly Adventurer

Tank bolts aren't "$100 plus" they are $82 USD shipped if you order from this guy http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=954935

There is debate whether the bolts still need to be upgraded. Discussions arise such as surely KTM addressed this by now, (oh yeah, well did the part numbers change? blah, blah )and if there are passenger pegs the bike was designed to take the weight of a passenger--should be good for a bit of luggage.

I can't honestly say I have heard of any stock bolt failures for quite some time now. I do know the replacement main fuel tank is dearly expensive.

If you are really putting a bunch of luggage on, the common wisdom is replace the bolts and add a luggage rack to take weight off of the tank. Especially if you are loading up the rear luggage rack with heavy stuff like water/fuel etc because of the leverage from the cantilevered geometry of it.

To help settle the debate and for the good of the collective 690 knowledge base--it would be advantageous to us if you don't replace the tank bolts, and do use the light panniers and little tail bag--then give us an update every 10,000 miles or so on how its holding up. Plus you would save $82. You would be money in--well at least for the time being. --and we would be the wiser for it.

2-3 years ago there was a guy on here that fabbed up a tilt up, fairly substantial tail luggage rack. If I recall correctly he included an upright member to hold 1-2 roto pax. He was going to run it with no pannier rack to beef up the back end. He then proceeded to solicit opinions on his creation. When several people expressed some concern about the potential longevity of his creation he basically responded like a dick and mouthed them off about how they were clearly idiots, could they not see or read the various thicknesses of the metals he used and how it was bolted, welded whatever etc. Funny thing is, I don't ever remember seeing that guy post again. I've always been left wondering did his rack work beautifully as intended or did he rip the ass off of his bike within a few weeks? Anyone remember that guy and have any inkling how things turned out?

Some years ago I remember several posters saying yeah I put 10-15 pounds of stuff on the rear luggage rack of a stock (un beefed up) 690 went for a moderate trail ride and ended up ripping things up. Haven't heard those sort of stories lately. So are people more aware of the issue and avoid doing it, do more people just run out and upgrade the tank bolts right away or did KTM make stuff a little stronger back there? I dunno.

Bike Nomad screwed with this post 05-10-2014 at 11:01 PM
Bike Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:33 PM   #15924
Bike Nomad
Gnarly Adventurer

..."Get a CACycleworks fuel pump."--" Are the fuel pumps still naughty in the '14s? Can anyone confirm?"...

The 2014s have only been out a few weeks--so too early to say specifically for 2014s--for anything--other than the rear brake bolt issue which KTM has already addressed.

Some people still have the original pump in their 2008s -->onwards model 690s. Thousands of miles no problems. For several years defective fuel pumps were a known problem (as has been pointed out numerous times here--on a worldwide forum with hundreds of regular posters--you mostly only hear when there is a problem--i.e my fuel pump failed--as opposed to rarely hearing about the many riders that never had a problem).

I don't recall hearing about any fuel pump problems in the most recent model years with the stock pump. You are 21 and planning to stay probably within the radius of where you could beg or bribe a buddy with a pick up to come rescue you--so I'd say skip the CA fuel pump.

If you were going to Mongolia overland, or a well heeled middle aged fat cat with loads of disposable income, and a penchant for bullet proofing your bike (which is a fun hobby in and of itself for some), when you might not even get shot at; I'd say yeah order one up and keep the original in your spares kit.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:41 PM   #15925
Bike Nomad
Gnarly Adventurer

..."I'll likely put some foil insulation between them and the exhaust - maybe that will keep them from burning up."...

If you retain the stock exhaust, in your travel budget I would factor in the replacement cost of the panniers to keep your dad happy!
Old 05-10-2014, 11:26 PM   #15926
Bike Nomad
Gnarly Adventurer

..."that was the other 2014 thread"...

Zis is not a 2014 thread, zis is KAOS!

"Get Smart", reference for you young 'uns
(KTM All--surface Overland Special--was my best effort this late at night)

The one and only all inclusive, all model year, all versions of KTM 690s information hub, interactive repair manual, farkle catalog, soap box, show room, lounge and luv in that is the Wunderfest. Hallowed be Crankshaft's name.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:36 PM   #15927
TexaNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Texanate your multi-quote skills exceed mine. I'll have to respond bit by bit. That works for me - but if you want, you can try that multi quote button directly to the right of the "quote" button, then once you've selected all the posts you want to quote, reply to the thread (button up at the top left). Quick and easy.

Some people have no issue with the stock exhaust and live happily ever after with it. The majority of riders that don't replace the stock can seem to end up burning flesh and or expensive riding gear--typically pants and panniers the first season they ride. *Then* they replace the stock can. For a ball park of around $500 (not $1000) you can get a Wings exhaust http://www.wings.si/ver3/index.html?page=contact Which is a top shelf product. With the quiet insert in (which you should use anyways if you don't re-map) it should be very very close in sound output to stock.

My understanding of the prevailing wisdom is--if you just add a new slip on can--the stock map should work fine with out re-mapping. If you add a new can and open up the intake it gets too lean and requires a new map.
Arghghgh I made the mistake of YouTubing the various exhaust options. Of course the Wings pipe sounds a lot nicer than stock - less clanky, more tone. But for $500 (or ~$300 for the FMF Q4), I'm gonna try the stock exhaust for as long as I can. I assume no one has found a cheap and effective heat shield for the stocker?

I have a pair of MX boots that I'll be replacing soon - let's see if they stand up to the heat. Maybe then I'll put up a WTB in the flea market. I'm sure it's the catalytic converter putting out all that heat, though I'm unable to find anyone who has removed the cat and retained the original exhaust. 690 owners are some dedicated (and/or wealthy) people!

finally, and this may get me insta-banned, but I actually like what catalytic converters do for motorcycle emissions.

Quote:
..."Being 21, I crave discomfort."...

I have good news. You will absolutely adore the seat, do not consider replacing it.
Yeah, the reason I bought the 690 is basically because the 990 looks too comfy. Ah, the joys of youth and fatassery.

Quote:
Tank bolts aren't "$100 plus" they are $82 USD shipped if you order from this guy http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=954935

There is debate whether the bolts still need to be upgraded. Discussions arise such as surely KTM addressed this by now, (oh yeah, well did the part numbers change? blah, blah )and if there are passenger pegs the bike was designed to take the weight of a passenger--should be good for a bit of luggage.

I can't honestly say I have heard of any stock bolt failures for quite some time now. I do know the replacement main fuel tank is dearly expensive.

If you are really putting a bunch of luggage on, the common wisdom is replace the bolts and add a luggage rack to take weight off of the tank. Especially if you are loading up the rear luggage rack with heavy stuff like water/fuel etc because of the leverage from the cantilevered geometry of it.

To help settle the debate and for the good of the collective 690 knowledge base--it would be advantageous to us if you don't replace the tank bolts, and do use the light panniers--then give us an update every 10,000 miles or so on how its holding up. Plus you would save $82. You would be money in--well at least for the time being. --and we would be the wiser for it.

For the good of the forum, I'll selflessly ride with the stockers for now. I will make their inspection part of my preride check and I will update you with any issues.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:42 PM   #15928
TexaNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
..."I'll likely put some foil insulation between them and the exhaust - maybe that will keep them from burning up."...

If you retain the stock exhaust, in your travel budget I would factor in the replacement cost of the panniers to keep your dad happy!

For better and for worse (mostly for worse), I'm paying for this with my own money except the aux lights - my dad has offered to pay for the lights because he figures they'll make me safer and more visible on the road. Now I just gotta find some lights that can do double duty as a skidplate and aftermarket exhaust and I'll be golden.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:57 AM   #15929
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,714
The Vision-X Soltice 10W LED auxiliary lights (also packaged with wiring and a switch marketed under the name 'Denali' ) is excellent quality and produce very good light.
Poor decisions always lead to great adventures.
thumpididump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:31 AM   #15930
Dhawkk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
I am not an attorney. To the best of my knowledge, in the US that is not true, because it is related to this legislation?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

There was a lobby group of aftermarket businesses that helped enforce this or similar legislation or broadened it? I'm sketchy on the details.

Of all the bikes I'm aware of the KTM 690 probably has one of the highest rates of owners replacing the can (often being replaced before the bike rolls out the dealer's door, so there would be a great many new bikes not covered if what you were told about the Akro were true.

In Europe I understand it can be an issue.

If you include a country location in your profile it can help posters better answer certain questions you might have in the future.
Thank you, I am located in Mn, Usa. Have not quite made it to playing with my profile. Will update it in the next two days. All of my time has been dedicated to reading through this never ending thread

If others could help me with this I would be very grateful.

I have been receiving nothing but mixed responses to all my questions (not on here, stealerships). After purchasing my bike, I called the dealership I purchased from. I was inquiring about a pipe, I think they might have been smoking something out of theirs.. I called the sales gent that I purchased from asking two things
1. If a pipe would void my warranty
2. Could they remap the bike for me
He transferred me to parts, I asked the same thing. He transferred me to service, I asked the same thing, he transferred me to the sales man I had originally called.

I gave up with them and called another dealership. I spoke with a man that told me if I put anything other than an akra on, I would be voided. I asked about the tune, he told me that if I just switched the map under the seat I would be fine.

For shits and giggles, I called fmf to see if they were producing the Apex for the 2014. He said that it is on the back burner due to emissions regulations in CA. He then told me I could get away with putting an Apex for a 2013 on the 2014, I would merely have to make my own mounts because they are different... No biggie. But he also said this would void my warranty.

So here is what is boggling my mind..
1. Will a pipe void my warranty, if it isn't an akra? Aside from your response and Albie (thank you for your response), I am still pretty unsure of a definitive answer.

2. If I was able to mount up an FMF Apex slip on, on my 2014 enduro r would just changing the map to "sport" be sufficient? Would I need to do a header and/or an air filter aswell, for "sport" to work at it's best? Or if I just toss on the slip on will be fine? But an air filter/header either or both, is the point where I will need a tune? I am slightly worried about the warranty but my biggest concern is the wish wash of replies I have seen about peoples bikes stalling and others having zero issues.

3. For future reference, how do I go about doing multi quotes? (EDIT, I figured it out)
Dhawkk is offline   Reply With Quote