Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2014, 06:21 AM   #15916
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprouty115 View Post
The simple answer on the warranty is that if you make a modification to the bike and then have a problem. Then it can be declined if the dealer feels the modification directly contributed to the failure. Having said that dealers would go out of business pretty quickly if they sold aftermarket parts and then simply voided your warranty.
+1

That's how it is in the USA...... Thank goodness!

Paul
Old 05-11-2014, 08:18 AM   #15917
sprouty115
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhawkk View Post
IBut what if I was to not purchase from them/ have them install.. My nearest dealer is 236 miles away but I traveled 468 miles to get this bike from a different dealership. Sadly it was the nearest I could find without waiting an additional 6-8 weeks.
First off, don't feel guilty about buying a bike where it was available, the dealer that is closer to you still wants your business!

Remember, your main objective in this is to have your dealer become your ally. Now you certainly have a distance issue to deal with, which makes it a bit more difficult, but regardless you want to start a relationship with them. So even if you can't stop in after work you can at least get to know them and have them support you in case something does go wrong. I'd start with the head of the service department and see if you can get his opinion on the modifications you want to make. In my case I had already mapped by previous bike (a Triumph) myself with TuneECU and felt quite comfortable doing my 690, but instead I contacted my local dealer and said I was doing an air filter and muffler swap and wanted to have them map it. I spoke directly to the manger and he was completely supportive and did the job while I waited.

The other thing you need to do is educate yourself. You have to read everything you can about this bike so you can sort out the bullshit from the facts. This thread, the TuneECU thread, etc., all have tons of great information that people with loads of experience have contributed. I would dare to say that there is more solid information in those two threads than any one dealer has. Here's an example - ask either of your dealers if the tanks bolts are a weak link and should be replaced, or if you should consider an upgrade to the reg-rec, or if you should check under the battery tray for chaffed wires. I'd be willing to bet not a single one of them would have a clue. Bottom line: the more informed you are the less risk you take on.
sprouty115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:45 AM   #15918
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
For those owners that have a 2012 or newer 690, what is your oil consumption like between oil changes?
I have 1800 miles on my 2013. Changed the oil at 200 miles. Haven't changed it since, however I have gone through probably 1 quart of oil since then. My riding has been everything from single track to highways
Old 05-11-2014, 09:03 AM   #15919
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
For those owners that have a 2012 or newer 690, what is your oil consumption like between oil changes?
I have 1800 miles on my 2013. Changed the oil at 200 miles. Haven't changed it since, however I have gone through probably 1 quart of oil since then. My riding has been everything from single track to highways
I've had no noticeable oil loss in 6000 miles
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:05 AM   #15920
NickW909
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 584
Quote:
A few people have had high oil consumption until the motor beds in. Do a few more miles and see how it is.

Nick.

Sent from a little keyboard using fat fingers......
NickW909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:19 AM   #15921
Monterey_BS
On or Off - not sure

Oddometer: 249
Dhawkk and TexaNate Conundrum

What follows is my opinion on 690 ownership and is based on the current state of a my 690ER experiment of one...
I followed this thread for years before making the plunge in '12. I'd suggest your folks ride the bikes to see whether they work for you, as is. The bike's got plenty of power out of the box. More may be better, but you may find the "improvements" don't make much difference in a practical sense. That's been my experience. In two years I've essentially changed out or added eight things: the bash plate, bar risers, lowered platform pegs, TT pannier racks, billet filler neck, GPS mount, DoubleTake mirrors, and a euro tail. These mods make the bike easier for me to ride the way I ride and maybe only the risers were essential. I've got a few more "nice to have," but nonessential, things in the garage for when I get around to them: Squadron LED (stock light not very useful), Safari Tank (not so sure why anymore, but there was a rationale at the time), tank bolts (impulse after reading "all" the horror stories), CC fuel pump (may never need it), and a travel screen (for when I sit down).
I've got the stock can, stock snorkel intake, and run on the standard throttle setting. Can gets very hot, but I live with that. Once I got the tail-packing arrangement sorted, it ceased to be a problem. As others have observed, this thing is designed to carry two folks, so the bolt failure is likely tied more to how the bike is ridden (jumped?) than it is the bike itself.
Now, as I've other bikes to ride, I've only got 5K on this thing; but to-date the only issue I've had was a bum battery at the beginning that was replaced under warranty. It's been a good and reliable ride. All I do is change out fuel, oil, filter, and tires. That will likely remain the case.
Whatever you decide, good luck with your own experiments of one.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:20 AM   #15922
Monterey_BS
On or Off - not sure

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
My experience mirrors lightfighter's.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:32 AM   #15923
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
I would suspect that a hwy miles may be in order. If it is indeed the rings not seating yet, the RPMs will help
Old 05-11-2014, 09:39 AM   #15924
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhawkk View Post

I have been receiving nothing but mixed responses to all my questions (not on here, stealerships). After purchasing my bike, I called the dealership I purchased from. I was inquiring about a pipe, I think they might have been smoking something out of theirs.. I called the sales gent that I purchased from asking two things
1. If a pipe would void my warranty
2. Could they remap the bike for me
He transferred me to parts, I asked the same thing. He transferred me to service, I asked the same thing, he transferred me to the sales man I had originally called.

I gave up with them and called another dealership. I spoke with a man that told me if I put anything other than an akra on, I would be voided. I asked about the tune, he told me that if I just switched the map under the seat I would be fine.

For shits and giggles, I called fmf to see if they were producing the Apex for the 2014. He said that it is on the back burner due to emissions regulations in CA. He then told me I could get away with putting an Apex for a 2013 on the 2014, I would merely have to make my own mounts because they are different... No biggie. But he also said this would void my warranty.

So here is what is boggling my mind..
1. Will a pipe void my warranty, if it isn't an akra? Aside from your response and Albie (thank you for your response), I am still pretty unsure of a definitive answer.

2. If I was able to mount up an FMF Apex slip on, on my 2014 enduro r would just changing the map to "sport" be sufficient? Would I need to do a header and/or an air filter aswell, for "sport" to work at it's best? Or if I just toss on the slip on will be fine? But an air filter/header either or both, is the point where I will need a tune? I am slightly worried about the warranty but my biggest concern is the wish wash of replies I have seen about peoples bikes stalling and others having zero issues.
Well I ask my small local dealer's service manager/mechanic about putting on an FMF. He said just do the 15 minute idle. I don't think the "under seat" maps have anything to do with modifications as they are ALL for a stock bike. The bike has had the pipe and runs fine since 600 miles to currently over 3000. And BTW I use the "soft" mode almost all the time because the "performance" mode just breaks the tire loose way to easy on low traction surfaces, YRMV.
Warrantee.... the pipe has nothing to do with warrantee, unless they could prove that it caused the issue, and your dealer would have to be a real dick to do that to a customer, IMHO. I've done all kinds of mods, pipes, lifts, wheels, paint, engine mods, to bikes, Jeeps, trucks and cars the day I bought them and never had any warrantee problems.

Current bikes F800GS-EXCF350-Versys-690R-RZ350

sieg screwed with this post 05-11-2014 at 09:45 AM
sieg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:39 AM   #15925
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba

Oddometer: 982
Warrentee

I'd simply put the stock pipe back on if there was an issue before taking it to the dealer. Remember, if you put a slip-on on, it will need repacking. Mine eats the Wings packing. I redo it before and after each rallye. Since it will need repacking, you can possibly time your dealer visits for the repacking exercises, putting the stock can on for the day. Unless you need the dealer to repack your cans?
Old 05-11-2014, 11:54 AM   #15926
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,561
I use this silencer on my 690 SMC

For me it's win win win ......

1. KTM supplied part for the bike - no impact on warranty
2. Cheaper than the Akra !
3. Sounds better than the standard pipe and lighter
4. Fully homologated for road use in Europe
5. No remap needed
6. Loses catalytic converter so much less heat from silencer

Part no is 76505099200

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:03 PM   #15927
hamish99
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
HELP! Code 46
2009 690r. 11,000 mi. Dies on road. No fuel pump sound when turned on.

Replaced pump. Still showing error. Cranks over easily, but Won't start.

Any suggestions welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hamish99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:15 PM   #15928
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebble35 View Post
I use this silencer on my 690 SMC

For me it's win win win ......

1. KTM supplied part for the bike - no impact on warranty
2. Cheaper than the Akra !
3. Sounds better than the standard pipe and lighter
4. Fully homologated for road use in Europe
5. No remap needed
6. Loses catalytic converter so much less heat from silencer

Part no is 76505099200
I've go that on my '12. Put it on the bike at about 2000 miles and started stalling at about 6500 miles added the Evo1 lid and Akro map - no more stalling.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:19 PM   #15929
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish99 View Post
HELP! Code 46
2009 690r. 11,000 mi. Dies on road. No fuel pump sound when turned on.

Replaced pump. Still showing error. Cranks over easily, but Won't start.

Any suggestions welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Code 46? Did you check the number 4 fuse?
Old 05-11-2014, 12:27 PM   #15930
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

For Dhawkk (hey, auto correct just tried to change your name into Dhaka!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
Well I ask my small local dealer's service manager/mechanic about putting on an FMF. He said just do the 15 minute idle. I don't think the "under seat" maps have anything to do with modifications as they are ALL for a stock bike. The bike has had the pipe and runs fine since 600 miles to currently over 3000. And BTW I use the "soft" mode almost all the time because the "performance" mode just breaks the tire loose way to easy on low traction surfaces, YRMV.
Warrantee.... the pipe has nothing to do with warrantee, unless they could prove that it caused the issue, and your dealer would have to be a real dick to do that to a customer, IMHO. I've done all kinds of mods, pipes, lifts, wheels, paint, engine mods, to bikes, Jeeps, trucks and cars the day I bought them and never had any warrantee problems.
Forget about the 15min idle thing. The switch under the seat is for throttle response not engine maps. Soft, Standard & Loony. I keep my bike in Standard for road use.

MeinMotorrad screwed with this post 05-11-2014 at 12:40 PM
MeinMotorrad is offline   Reply With Quote