Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2014, 12:37 AM   #16141
gen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaNate View Post
isn't idling for 15 minutes the WORST way to break in a new engine?
There are two things that are being conflated/confused here.

1) break-in of the engine

2) 15 min. EFI reset/throttle recalibration

Your dealer is talking about 2), which is the process to reset the EFI with a 15 min idle and a throttle calibration.

Engine break in should not be affected by at 15 min. idle for EFI recalibration as long as after you get the bike you follow the manual WRT break in.
DoD#1458 | GaijinRiders | 2010 KTM 690 Enduro
gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:06 AM   #16142
Bike Nomad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Or does KTM do that at the factory
This is an interesting one to view the inside of the great orange womb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcpmi-H1dtA @ 3:56 you can see the guy putting a 990 on the dyno as part of the manufacturing process. I believe they give each bike 2 dyno runs back to back? You still need to break the bike in using either the factory recommended (or if you prefer the motoman method). I would not sweat having the 15 min idle done to start things off.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:04 AM   #16143
NumNum
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Soft 3.3 Dat 1.2 error - 2012 690 Enduro R

Hi guys

I have a serious issue with me beloved 2012. I gave the baby a wash and lube all over this weekend. She struggled to start but eventually fired into life. I wanted to do a quick run to the shops yesterday and we started cutting out. Immediately she would restart and run awesome for about 300 yards and cut out again. Finally she broke down for good. Flashed Soft 3.3 on the screen followed by DAT 1.2! When I cycle the bike through again she would cycle (sounds like a "short" at the fuse box) and just completely resets on the console.

Have any of you seen this before?? I have checked all the fuses and have now removed the battery and placed it on charge.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-19-2014, 04:20 AM   #16144
MeinMotorrad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
Quote:
O Wise Ones,

My dealer mentioned he is going to do the 15 minute idle reset on my new 690 before he sells it to me to ensure good fueling out of the crate. I may be full of shit, so take what I say with a grain of salt but - isn't idling for 15 minutes the WORST way to break in a new engine? Wouldn't you want to vary the revs, keep the engine cool and load the piston rings (SOME hard acceleration AND engine braking) in the first ~20-30 minutes of operation, to ensure the rings seat well against the cylinder wall? Or does KTM do that at the factory (like I know BMW does with their cars having seen it myself)?
Simply switching the bike on and letting it idle for 15mins tells you absolutely nothing about your bikes fuelling. Read AMa's post here about the origins of the 15min idle.

My guess is your bike will just sit there using fuel, get a bit hot and nothing else. I haven't yet heard of any stalling problems with '14 bikes but it's still early days.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:21 AM   #16145
MeinMotorrad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumNum View Post
Hi guys

I have a serious issue with me beloved 2012. I gave the baby a wash and lube all over this weekend. She struggled to start but eventually fired into life. I wanted to do a quick run to the shops yesterday and we started cutting out. Immediately she would restart and run awesome for about 300 yards and cut out again. Finally she broke down for good. Flashed Soft 3.3 on the screen followed by DAT 1.2! When I cycle the bike through again she would cycle (sounds like a "short" at the fuse box) and just completely resets on the console.

Have any of you seen this before?? I have checked all the fuses and have now removed the battery and placed it on charge.

Did you power wash it?
Old 05-19-2014, 04:42 AM   #16146
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,353
The way I see it, KTM sells bikes that are "ready to race." With that in mind, unpack it from the shipping crate, and ride the shit out of it. By the same token, letting it idle for 15 minutes shouldn't do any harm either.

The fueling on my '14 so perfect I'm afraid to mess with the intake/exhaust systems. But I have no idea if my dealer let it idle for 15 minutes before I took possession of it.

Quote:
O Wise Ones,

My dealer mentioned he is going to do the 15 minute idle reset on my new 690 before he sells it to me to ensure good fueling out of the crate. I may be full of shit, so take what I say with a grain of salt but - isn't idling for 15 minutes the WORST way to break in a new engine? Wouldn't you want to vary the revs, keep the engine cool and load the piston rings (SOME hard acceleration AND engine braking) in the first ~20-30 minutes of operation, to ensure the rings seat well against the cylinder wall? Or does KTM do that at the factory (like I know BMW does with their cars having seen it myself)?

FY-YFF.com
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
"You can't put the shit back in the donkey." - Tony Soprano
thumpididump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:48 AM   #16147
NumNum
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinMotorrad View Post
Did you power wash it?
Yes I did.....

It charged the battery full and reinstalled and the bike fires up now....Trying to do the 15 minute reset and it dies after 2 -3 minutes of idling!

What can the power wash damage?
Old 05-19-2014, 07:56 AM   #16148
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 3,994
Quote:
Yes I did.....

It charged the battery full and reinstalled and the bike fires up now....Trying to do the 15 minute reset and it dies after 2 -3 minutes of idling!

What can the power wash damage?
Power wash can put water into all of your electrical connections and mess up their contacts.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:01 AM   #16149
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,553
Quote:
Hi guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinMotorrad View Post
Did you power wash it?
MM is on the right track. On the front of the bike behind the headlight is a pressure sensor with a hose pointing down. If you get water in this hose, the bike won't run correct. Do not try to blow water out with air, if it gets up inside, it can rune the sensor (I've heard). Or set the bike in the sun for a while and it will sort it self out.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:08 AM   #16150
NumNum
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
Power wash can put water into all of your electrical connections and mess up their contacts.
Thanks Seth
Old 05-19-2014, 08:09 AM   #16151
NumNum
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
MM is on the right track. On the front of the bike behind the headlight is a pressure sensor with a hose pointing down. If you get water in this hose, the bike won't run correct. Do not try to blow water out with air, if it gets up inside, it can rune the sensor (I've heard). Or set the bike in the sun for a while and it will sort it self out.
Thanks Ronin Moto
Old 05-19-2014, 08:09 AM   #16152
abrasive
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpididump View Post
That is what I want to know if the '14's still have!
Old 05-19-2014, 08:14 AM   #16153
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,353
I just had a quick look for that connector on mine -- no luck.

FY-YFF.com
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
"You can't put the shit back in the donkey." - Tony Soprano
thumpididump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:35 PM   #16154
sprouty115
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I've pretty much given up on hosing my bikes off. I keep up with the cleaning and maintenance so it doesn't get out of hand. It just seems that as bikes get more sophisticated electronics it's much easier to damage things.
sprouty115 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:50 PM   #16155
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,660
The last time I went to the quarter car wash for a spray down I didn't hit any of the upper part of the engine or electrical above the engine or wiring/conectors with the wand any closer than 2 feet away and it still stalled on me a few times in the wash bay as I started it up before I pulled out. Other than that, no biggie though.

If anything, I'd say do the low pressure soap spray, let it sit for a few minutes and then do a 3 foot away hose down.

Dirty