Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #2116
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 450
So...um...I have to ask: how necessary is it to get a new fuel filter?
I don't plan on going RTW any time soon...
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #2117
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorinoakenshield View Post
So...um...I have to ask: how necessary is it to get a new fuel filter?
I don't plan on going RTW any time soon...
i would wait till you are due or you open your tank. once you open your tank thats the time to change the fuel line and mount the filter external.
my opinion ymmv
and remember kids
opinions are like assholes; everybody has one and most stink
bobzilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #2118
jared1843
Drifter

Oddometer: 146
I need new tires! Right now I have an MT21 on the front and a Karoo on the back. The MT21 seems fine, but i'm not impressed with the Karoo. I've used 908's on my 990 and liked them, but didn't like the cost.

Suggestions?
2010 KTM 990 Adventure R - SOLD :(
2011 KTM 690 Enduro R!
jared1843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #2119
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,406
The tire question depends a lot on the kind of riding you do and the type of terrain you ride most frequently.

I ride my '08 E mostly on the street and a little on fire roads with Pirelli AT90 Scorpions. I did all the easy tracks of the Sheetiron 300 and never felt like I didn't have enough tire. They are out of their league if you get into steep stuff or seriously muddy stuff. I am very impressed with these tires - I like to chase down [poorly ridden] sport bikes on twisty roads, and they stick real well on the road.

Regarding the MT21s, I found the rear to be 100% useless in mud. Like, oops, I spilled my coffe, and now my bike won't get traction. Truly a health hazard in the rain.

Since I want to spend more time off-road this coming year, I bought a tire I've been dying to try for ages, the TerraFlex and will probably run a MT21 on the front (unless there is a better recommendation). Being from the East Coast, these things are legendary for their mud performance. Out here in the West, I'm kind of thinking that they might not be right for rocks and sand. But the good news is that the TerrorFlex is cheap to try, so I won't be sad about it if I don't like it or it doesn't hold up to 60+ angry Austrian ponies and a lardy owner.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #2120
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
i would wait till you are due or you open your tank. once you open your tank thats the time to change the fuel line and mount the filter external.
my opinion ymmv
and remember kids
opinions are like assholes; everybody has one and most stink
And a differing view......

To my recollection, the idea of the Can-Am filter was first used by the Husaberg Racing Team to help from getting a clogged injector which was a common occurence for them. This was before KTM started using the little inline filter before the injector. Which, according to Beany, restricts too much fuel flow for the 690's needs.

My 0.02, and what I would do to a new bike, would be to add the steel body NAPA filter in place of the quick disconnect right now, just for the added insurance. It is cheap and relatively easy thing to do. Certainly if you haven't gotten the aftermarket filler neck. That way, if you do get crap in your tank you will only be down a fuel pump and not an injector too.
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:10 PM   #2121
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
And a differing view......

To my recollection, the idea of the Can-Am filter was first used by the Husaberg Racing Team to help from getting a clogged injector which was a common occurence for them. This was before KTM started using the little inline filter before the injector. Which, according to Beany, restricts too much fuel flow for the 690's needs.

My 0.02, and what I would do to a new bike, would be to add the steel body NAPA filter in place of the quick disconnect right now, just for the added insurance. It is cheap and relatively easy thing to do. Certainly if you haven't gotten the aftermarket filler neck. That way, if you do get crap in your tank you will only be down a fuel pump and not an injector too.
I just picked up two of those little filters. They are now 20 micron as opposed to the old 10 micron screen.
I'm going to give the 20 a shot.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:11 AM   #2122
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by jared1843 View Post
I need new tires! Right now I have an MT21 on the front and a Karoo on the back. The MT21 seems fine, but i'm not impressed with the Karoo. I've used 908's on my 990 and liked them, but didn't like the cost.

Suggestions?
I like the MotoZ Dessert HT for some pavement, dirt road, 2 track, and some light trail. Longest lasting offroad oriented tire I've put on the 690 yet. The MT90 lasted much longer, but they are useless in anything remotely slippery.
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #2123
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,439
Quote:

Suggestions?
I go through tires like a cop through donuts so I go for cheap! T 63's are my choice these days.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #2124
Barman
Way Offline

Quote:

Suggestions?
I had a wakeup call with the MT21's this past fall. Brand new rubber wouldn't get up the damp slope in my folks back yard. Won't do that again, Dad was pissed.
There has to be an all-rounder that can get more than 1500 miles. Along with my 1500 mile oil change schedule, it gets expensive.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #2125
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman View Post
There has to be an all-rounder that can get more than 1500 miles. Along with my 1500 mile oil change schedule, it gets expensive.
LOL, I can't get 1500 miles out of a Pilot Power, much less any knobbie.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:42 AM   #2126
Barman
Way Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
LOL, I can't get 1500 miles out of a Pilot Power, much less any knobbie.
I had Power Pures on my R1 for a while, so yeah, I hear ya. Stuck to the pavement like shit to a blanket though. That's the tradeoff I guess but the MT21's are soft enough that they wear out in <1500 miles with the upside of being slipperier than snot off'n a hare lip on wet pavement.

My excremental analogies are strong today.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:26 PM   #2127
Barman
Way Offline

I found another source for the 88 degree on (88on) temperature switch in case anyone is having trouble finding one. It's a direct replacement from Suzuki quads (and others). Just like the others offered, replace the old and plug it in. Just installed one this morning. Part Number 17680-50F70
Old 03-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #2128
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
LED Turn Signal Relay Wiring Problem:

Riders,
The KTM shop doesn't know how to install flasher relay....the relay has three wires and the stock wiring has two wires....where does the third wire connect???

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:58 PM   #2129
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 1,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post

Riders,
The KTM shop doesn't know how to install flasher relay....the relay has three wires and the stock wiring has two wires....where does the third wire connect???
Your kidding right , there a fricking dealer , my relay has a molex plug it can only go on one way tell them RTFM
(read the fucking manual ) I would be pushing my bike out the door, I would assume one is ground , one is active the other might be active with diode , they have a multimeter there ?
Mudguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #2130
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post

Riders,
Are you sure you don't have your description backwards? usually, the LED flasher relays only have 2 leads.
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote