Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2012, 12:34 PM   #2176
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-dubb View Post
I cannot explain why this thin ring was not present in your clutch. Are you sure the clutch had not been modified previously? That ring was present in mine along with a thicker one. I reused both of the rings in that location as they were not part of the EBC clutch kit. I also reused the original, narrow friction disk at the end of the stack. The EBC kit came with a standard / wide disk for this position which would have required leaving out both shim rings. So, I do have an extra friction disk from the EBC kiit, which could be inserted into the stack later if for some reason I decide to take out the two shim rings and the narrow disk. It was not worn like the others.

My clutch was badly burned from abuse, not from wear per se. Not surprised that your 10k parts looked better than mine.
I bought the bike new so the clutch had never been changed. My bike is a 2009 so maybe they stopped installing it? Yeah my bike does not get abused that much. Lots of highway to the trails and then mostly fire roads. No racing either.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #2177
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
I bought the bike new so the clutch had never been changed. My bike is a 2009 so maybe they stopped installing it? Yeah my bike does not get abused that much. Lots of highway to the trails and then mostly fire roads. No racing either.
Mine is also an '09. Maybe it was left out in error.
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #2178
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
...BTW at 10,000 miles the original clutch plates looked fine. Did not measure their thickness though.
Just curious, why did you change it out? I would have put the old stuff back in and returned the unused parts.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:04 PM   #2179
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmmitch View Post
You re-use the thinner original locking collar.
Crap. I guess I get to take the shock back out.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #2180
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,080
Going down for a Baja trip. Wanted to have a new clutch just in case I end up abusing it down there....I did save the old clutch parts. I will measure the thickness and if the wear is not too bad I might put them back at some point assuming they store OK.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #2181
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
Crap. I guess I get to take the shock back out.
Makes me feel better about myself when I'm not the only one making dumb mistakes.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:41 PM   #2182
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
First oil analysis.
I installed a pair of Pc Racing's stainless oil filters on my last change. I did about 1500 miles on the oil and wanted to know how they were performing, along with other known internal wear items.
There were some questions and many comments about the efficacy of these filters so figured I'd post the results up for you all.

Almost everything checks out ok.
The high fuel reading is concerning but most likely from a few cold starts over the winter while doing some injector work and quite a few ignition on-off cycles while I was doing some wiring. Also the sample was taken cold. Should have done a blast around the block but it was snowing the day I took the sample. Not a concern this time around. I'll get a hot sample next time.
The silicon is within limits but I was running the stock paper filter, this year changed to a Uni foam.
The viscosity did break down from 10-60 to 10-40 but it is to be expected with 1500 miles of good riding.
Overall, showing little signs of any metal wear and I'm happy with the analysis and filters.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #2183
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
I was a hired mechanic on a VW sponsored Firehawk Team in the late 80's, aircraft mechanic in the Navy during Desert storm, hired mechanic for a few Pro Rally teams and I've owned my own Mechanical company and been an HVAC tech and plumber for 20 years ...
Yeah ...

And I'm the poor bastard scratching his bonehead wondering how come this guy's 690 couldn't start for so long with a pedigree like that

Paul Jr 8
Old 03-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #2184
Barman
Way Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck View Post
Yeah ...

And I'm the poor bastard scratching his bonehead wondering how come this guy's 690 couldn't start for so long with a pedigree like that

Paul Jr 8
Here we go again.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #2185
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck View Post
Yeah ...

Paul Jr 8
Bahzzzzzing!!!!!!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #2186
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 446
Ok.....so I've read in a thread dated from 2008 that the 690 airboxes are shite.
They don't seal and sometimes break, and allow dust to enter the engine.
Is this still true?
Are people still sealing the airbox with silicone?

Also for the Rally Raid Foam Filter Conversion Kit, do we remove the top part of the snorkel (#1 & #2) and leave the filter open? I read on the RR website that the snorkel gets removed.

I think it looks correct, just want to make sure.....
I'm sure my remedial questions will help somebody else out there!
Don't punish my ignorance!!
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:13 PM   #2187
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman View Post
First oil analysis.
I installed a pair of Pc Racing's stainless oil filters on my last change. I did about 1500 miles on the oil and wanted to know how they were performing, along with other known internal wear items.
There were some questions and many comments about the efficacy of these filters so figured I'd post the results up for you all.

Almost everything checks out ok.
The high fuel reading is concerning but most likely from a few cold starts over the winter while doing some injector work and quite a few ignition on-off cycles while I was doing some wiring. Also the sample was taken cold. Should have done a blast around the block but it was snowing the day I took the sample. Not a concern this time around. I'll get a hot sample next time.
The silicon is within limits but I was running the stock paper filter, this year changed to a Uni foam.
The viscosity did break down from 10-60 to 10-40 but it is to be expected with 1500 miles of good riding.
Overall, showing little signs of any metal wear and I'm happy with the analysis and filters.

Back in 2008. when the 690 E's first were available, inmate Sobiloff did and analysis of the Moterex 10/60 oil (unused) as well as at an oil change interval (I think some records of this were lost in the mega-thread). His lab found (if my memory is correct) that the oil was closer to 10/50 than 10/60 to start with and the other strange additive (in the fresh oil) was glycol. Otherwise the "special oil" seemed fairly standard if I remember correctly.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #2188
Barman
Way Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
Back in 2008. when the 690 E's first were available, inmate Sobiloff did and analysis of the Moterex 10/60 oil (unused) as well as at an oil change interval (I think some records of this were lost in the mega-thread). His lab found (if my memory is correct) that the oil was closer to 10/50 than 10/60 to start with and the other strange additive (in the fresh oil) was glycol. Otherwise the "special oil" seemed fairly standard if I remember correctly.
Good to know but I'll stick with the 10w60 for at least one more analysis.
I was more concerned about the performance of the filters. We all know how Murphy's law of parts installation works, we never hear any of the negativity until after the parts are bought and already in the bike. But the thing is that ALL of the negative commentary that was thrown at me could not be backed up with a bit of data. Now I have data.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:12 PM   #2189
Mac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,121
So, I thought I was overoiling my chain. I wasn't. Not intentionally anyway.

Leaking countershaft seal. Looks like a 10 minute job, once a new o-ring and seal are in hand.

Anyone have any special tips, other than the standard "screw pull" method?
Member: NRA, AMA, TPA, MSF RC
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:00 AM   #2190
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,515
I'm in the same boat. Looking forward to your report.

For seals, I use a tool, ironically named "seal puller". Basically, it's an awl with some bends in it. I think automotive seal pullers (the thing that has a flat sheet metal hook) are too bulky to work well on a MC.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote