ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 07:26 AM   #2191
DirtJack
Adventurer
 
DirtJack's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Oddometer: 1,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman View Post
Good to know but I'll stick with the 10w60 for at least one more analysis.
I was more concerned about the performance of the filters. We all know how Murphy's law of parts installation works, we never hear any of the negativity until after the parts are bought and already in the bike. But the thing is that ALL of the negative commentary that was thrown at me could not be backed up with a bit of data. Now I have data.
Yea, I stick with the recommended oil too. I mentioned Sobiloff's experience because the fresh oil starting close to 10/50, it is not surprising your seeing a viscosity break-down to 10/40, i.e. it hasn't broken down as much as it might seem. Also, starting with 10/50 may not be that bad when you can't find a 10/60. I think, also, later manuals have said 10/50 is ok too.
__________________
Remember, you're reading this on the Internet and it was written by a guy who can remember stuff which never happened.
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
2008 KTM 300 XC (plated)
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:04 AM   #2192
Barman
Way Offline
 
Barman's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY
Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
Yea, I stick with the recommended oil too. I mentioned Sobiloff's experience because the fresh oil starting close to 10/50, it is not surprising your seeing a viscosity break-down to 10/40, i.e. it hasn't broken down as much as it might seem. Also, starting with 10/50 may not be that bad when you can't find a 10/60. I think, also, later manuals have said 10/50 is ok too.
My 2010 states 10w50 as an option.
I've got 8 liters of 10w60 Motorex remaining so I won't be shopping for anything new for a while.

On another note.
I installed an inline injector filter recently. KTM did an injector "upgrade" not long ago and it included a filter. (I believe the upgraded injector kit was the exact injector we have but with an inline filter thrown in the box) Someone here stated that the included filter was too restrictive at 10 microns so I didn't install it. But, I found a new 20 micron filter and installed it. Did a test run yesterday and had no issue at all on acceleration and high speed tests. Got a little air under the front wheel on a 3rd gear roll-on (I do have a larger rear sprocket) and topped out at 102 mph with a 275lb load. Last season with the old injector and no inline filter my top speed was 96. My old injector was probably clogged. I haven't looked at it yet.
http://www.ktm-parts.com/78141013190.html
__________________
I am at one with my duality.
Barman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #2193
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables
 
Gros Buck's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Quebec City, Canada
Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorinoakenshield
Are people still sealing the airbox with silicone ?
Silicone glues too-much actualy. I use DAPSEAL 'N PEELRemovable Weatherstrip Caulk.

Here: http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_id=20

Paul Jr
__________________
KTM690r 2011
Gros Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #2194
Andrew
Optimus Primer
 
Andrew's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Location: Eastbania
Oddometer: 15,188
__________________
Splitting lanes, and splitting hairs.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #2195
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer
 
R-dubb's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: San Francisco
Oddometer: 4,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post

R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #2196
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 9,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
So, I thought I was overoiling my chain. I wasn't. Not intentionally anyway.

Leaking countershaft seal. Looks like a 10 minute job, once a new o-ring and seal are in hand.

Anyone have any special tips, other than the standard "screw pull" method?
You may want to go ahead and change out the bushing as well. I've changed seals before and had to go back and throw in a new bushing because it still leaked.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:22 PM   #2197
Beer'o'clock Baz
?
 
Beer'o'clock Baz's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Toowoomba
Oddometer: 1,718
may I join you

Hey fellas my new 2012 690R -picked her up from the showroom straight to the dirt -when got home the wife came to see her first look at the beautiful sparkling kato , dirty, brocken tail light, gauged out the lefthand engine casing, scratched exhaust guard, chunks outa rear TKC oops
Beer'o'clock Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:24 PM   #2198
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 9,030
So I picked up a DR 650 a few months back and have been playing around on it. Someone asked me the other day how the 690 and DR compare. Well, I took a little blast on the 690 today for the first time in 3 months and I think I can sum it up like this:

Riding the 690's like banging a coked out super model. You grab your ballsack, scream at the top of your lungs, and hold on for dear life wondering if you're gonna survive. Riding the DR is like banging your high school sweetheart. It feels good but after your done you feel like you got cheated out of something, then you fall asleep.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #2199
Pantah
Patriot Nation?
 
Pantah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: India Wharf
Oddometer: 10,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
So I picked up a DR 650 a few months back and have been playing around on it. Someone asked me the other day how the 690 and DR compare. Well, I took a little blast on the 690 today for the first time in 3 months and I think I can sum it up like this:

Riding the 690's like banging a coked out super model. You grab your ballsack, scream at the top of your lungs, and hold on for dear life wondering if you're gonna survive. Riding the DR is like banging your high school sweetheart. It feels good but after your done you feel like you got cheated out of something, then you fall asleep.
Somehow, your imagination let you down...


__________________
Straight ahead and faster -Bo Weaver 1970
"There I was..." -Griffin Niner Three Hotel
"One day closer to a parade..." Jonny Gomes, spring training 2013
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #2200
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 9,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Somehow, your imagination let you down...


Never ridden a DR have you.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:27 PM   #2201
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer
 
ramjet's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Super F'd Up N. California
Oddometer: 2,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2 View Post
Hey fellas my new 2012 690R -picked her up from the showroom straight to the dirt -when got home the wife came to see her first look at the beautiful sparkling kato , dirty, brocken tail light, gauged out the lefthand engine casing, scratched exhaust guard, chunks outa rear TKC oops
Nice bike B2! I think with a different seat and some suspension adjustment you will be OK.
2012 690R not due in USA until April (maybe).

Looking forward to your ride report.
__________________
Coffee first. Then your mundane socialist bullshit.. Lenny Bruce
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:30 PM   #2202
jared1843
Drifter
 
jared1843's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Ponchatoula, LA
Oddometer: 144
Yack... why have a DR when you have a 690?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
So I picked up a DR 650 a few months back and have been playing around on it. Someone asked me the other day how the 690 and DR compare. Well, I took a little blast on the 690 today for the first time in 3 months and I think I can sum it up like this:

Riding the 690's like banging a coked out super model. You grab your ballsack, scream at the top of your lungs, and hold on for dear life wondering if you're gonna survive. Riding the DR is like banging your high school sweetheart. It feels good but after your done you feel like you got cheated out of something, then you fall asleep.
__________________
2002 Suzuki DRZ400E - SOLD
2002 Honda RC51 - track only
2005 Suzuki DL1000 - SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Adventure R - SOLD :(
2011 KTM 690 Enduro R!
jared1843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:32 PM   #2203
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there
 
thorinoakenshield's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: ☼
Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet View Post
Nice bike B2! I think with a different seat and some suspension adjustment you will be OK.
2012 690R not due in USA until April (maybe).

Looking forward to your ride report.
I agree! Nice bike!
-----------
Now, what do you mean APRIL!!!????!
Is that what the dealer said?
I need to call mine......
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #2204
Kirkster
Parts Murderer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Peoples Republic of MD
Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorinoakenshield View Post
I agree! Nice bike!
-----------
Now, what do you mean APRIL!!!????!
Is that what the dealer said?
I need to call mine......
Yea...

Call them tomorrow and ask for Dave... I will be at riding school all day getting legal.

K
__________________
TAT 2013 the "I'm Just Sayin" tour
BMW 2007 R1200R
2012 KTM 690 R
07 WR 450F
Kirkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #2205
motoged
Studly Adventurer
 
motoged's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Kamloops, BC
Oddometer: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by jared1843 View Post
Yack... why have a DR when you have a 690?

Well....sometimes that old high school chick is more available than the model.....or sometimes you just enjoy the old ride.....ya know?!
__________________
Ged Schwartz
Kamloops , BC


Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track




motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014