Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #2536
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 450
Here's a nice build thread. Later on, the guy gets some Rally fairings....

http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/adventure/...ry-begins.html
The first few pages are good for new owners setting up their bikes.
He seems to be doing a lot of work around the radiator.
Anyways...nice couple of posts for the ktm noobs out there...like me....

EDIT: more radiator stuff:http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...24&postcount=8

thorinoakenshield screwed with this post 04-05-2012 at 08:39 PM
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #2537
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorinoakenshield View Post
Here's a nice build thread. Later on, the guy gets some Rally fairings....

http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/adventure/...ry-begins.html
The first few pages are good for new owners setting up their bikes.
He seems to be doing a lot of work around the radiator.
Anyways...nice couple of posts for the ktm noobs out there...like me....

EDIT: more radiator stuff:http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...24&postcount=8
Just another reason that it sux that the mega thread had to be deleted. There was a lot of good stuff regarding the problems and fixes for the fan shroud issues.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:24 PM   #2538
bayarearider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Trip master switch for the 690R

I have a 2010 690 R version and wondering if there is any trip master switch available ? If not are there any alternatives available to install a trip meter ( other than the ICO trip meter) and a handlebar switch.
bayarearider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:29 AM   #2539
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarearider View Post
I have a 2010 690 R version and wondering if there is any trip master switch available ? If not are there any alternatives available to install a trip meter ( other than the ICO trip meter) and a handlebar switch.
There is a tripmaster switch available.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:33 AM   #2540
GezwindeSpoed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
But it is useless for rally purposes because you cannot adjust it while driving.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:49 AM   #2541
ghostridergary
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Oil screens - which way round?

Just servicing my 2008 690E and cleaned the oil screens... but on starting to put them back I just realised that the bore is wider at one end than the other... but didn't note which end was in the cap and which was facing into the engine when I removed them.

Anyone remember? Its not obvious from the manual or parts list.

It feels like wider bore end should be inserted into engine and narrower bore end into the cap/bolt

Thanks

Gary
ghostridergary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:21 AM   #2542
jonb
Montana Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
2012 690 E Test Ride

The 2012s are here and I am considering one.
I wanted to see how it felt going down the road on asphalt at its cruising speed.
My impression is that with stock gearing and the MT21s that you would be working it pretty hard cruising over 70mph for hours.
They seemed to forget about the gear ratios. First may be little high and 6th a little low for me. At 70 you're sitting high on dirt bike getting blown around.
I am concerned about making this my go everywhere bike. The seat is an improvement but in true KTM fashion you are sitting on top of a heavy dirt bike holding on to a bike at 6200 rpms going down the highway.
Are most of you sticking to stock gearing?
What RPM are you comfortable cruising going down the slab for an hour lets say?
Appreciate your experience with the gearing input.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #2543
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonb View Post
I wanted to see how it felt going down the road on asphalt at its cruising speed.
My impression is that with stock gearing and the MT21s that you would be working it pretty hard cruising over 70mph for hours.
They seemed to forget about the gear ratios. First may be little high and 6th a little low for me. At 70 you're sitting high on dirt bike getting blown around.
I am concerned about making this my go everywhere bike. The seat is an improvement but in true KTM fashion you are sitting on top of a heavy dirt bike holding on to a bike at 6200 rpms going down the highway.
My initial impression was similar to yours. Felt like the engine was spinning a little fast at 75. I tried going one tooth bigger in front. Big mistake! It made first gear unmanageable. Being able to short shift, while spinning the clutch a little, from first to second in the rough stuff is very important. Higher gearing just doesn't work. Put it back to stock and have never looked back. Once I got my head dialed into cruising at a little higher rev, it doesn't bother me a bit. Highway speed all day is just fine. Another thought, if your test bike was new, the motor may not be broken in well enough to smooth out at higher revs. Just a thought.

690 is by far the best ever, go everywhere, do everything well bike I've ever owned. Wouldn't trade it for any other motorcycle.
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #2544
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,281
FYI. I was about to pull the trigger on this...
http://www.earthxmotorsports.com/pro...products_id/27

Turns out that the stock battery has 190 CCA, this one only has 120 CCA. Since I ice ride with the 690, it won't work well if at all.

They also have this, 240 CCA, I was ready to pull the trigger on it too...
http://www.earthxmotorsports.com/pro...roducts_id/182

It would work, except that it is 20mm taller than the stock battery, and I can't see how there would be room for it.

The guy on the phone told be that they have another design/ size with similar power, but an appropriate size for the 690, coming out in May. I gave him my email, and hopefully I'll hear from them when it's ready.
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #2545
Barman
Way Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonb View Post
I went +1 on the rear and I can cruise 70-75 comfortably. I did install a set of MT90's and they look like a taller tire which pretty much negates the +1 rear... Anyway, the engine is fairly comfortable slabbing.
Most of us don't have tachs. Gearing Commander shows my setup at 72mph the engine is turning 5250rpm. You've got another 3000+ till redline.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #2546
Barman
Way Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
FYI. I was about to pull the trigger on this...
http://www.earthxmotorsports.com/pro...products_id/27

Turns out that the stock battery has 190 CCA, this one only has 120 CCA. Since I ice ride with the 690, it won't work well if at all.

They also have this, 240 CCA, I was ready to pull the trigger on it too...
http://www.earthxmotorsports.com/pro...roducts_id/182

It would work, except that it is 20mm taller than the stock battery, and I can't see how there would be room for it.

The guy on the phone told be that they have another design/ size with similar power, but an appropriate size for the 690, coming out in May. I gave him my email, and hopefully I'll hear from them when it's ready.
If you're in a pinch I've got the stock battery just sitting here. Only used it for a few months.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:09 PM   #2547
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman View Post
If you're in a pinch I've got the stock battery just sitting here. Only used it for a few months.

Thanks. I'm OK for now, but either mine is starting to lose it's luster, or the shop that did my head gasket last time failed to install the decompressor properly. I could not find a loose ground/ connection, but she hesitates usually when starting, then the FI and Battery light come on briefly and go out after it starts. It never happened until I got it back from the dealer. That was last summer, it's still working, although I did have to jumpstart the bike last January in NH at an ice ride.
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:35 PM   #2548
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper

Oddometer: 1,397
OK I need some help or some insight at least

I have about 200 miles(thats 200 total miles) on my new to me 2009 690R. Its been updated/modded as it should, Leo Exhaust, 3 different FI maps to choose from, stock gearing as far as I can tell (PO blinged out the rear cog) and a few other eyeball goodies. I havent dug into the depths of the bike to get all the facts - but this is what I can tell from the exterior inspection. Bike came to me with 79 miles on the clock and varnished up fuel from a year of sitting (PO died doing what he loved - desert riding)

Anywho - my question is ??: Will I notice considerable gains once this motor is further broken in ?? I hear fantasy stories of owners not being able to keep the front end on the tarmac - mine struggles to loft over a puddle in 1st or 2nd. It feels like it has power - but has issues putting it to Earth.

I have the bike set up fairly stiff for my 205lb 6' frame - suspenders are stock with all the settings clicked out to 12 all the way around (my baseline so far - stock was 15 clicks on everything) Sag is a little stiff at 360mm, prob dropping down to the recommended 320ish (3") - but want to see how it reacts with passenger aboard ( skinnywife)

Im coming off a 520 EXC with monster torque and can hardly keep the front end on the floor in 4th. I assumed the 690R would share some of these characteristics - just not seeing them yet.

Clue me in kids - make me love this bike more

wiswoodsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #2549
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarearider View Post
KTM part #54814073000 "Tripmaster Switch EXC 2005" works with the 2009 (no tach) 690r speedo, but I cannot verify if it is the same for the 2010.
The Letter J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #2550
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
Thanks. I'm OK for now, but either mine is starting to lose it's luster, or the shop that did my head gasket last time failed to install the decompressor properly. I could not find a loose ground/ connection, but she hesitates usually when starting, then the FI and Battery light come on briefly and go out after it starts. It never happened until I got it back from the dealer. That was last summer, it's still working, although I did have to jumpstart the bike last January in NH at an ice ride.
I'm getting this weird start issue too. I can't figure out what the issue is. My 690 hasn't ever failed to start though, which is a plus.
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote