Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2012, 05:06 AM   #2866
cbevans
cbe

Oddometer: 2
2011 690 enduro- does anyone have a similar issue or a fix? About 2/3rds of the time when starting, the first try just boggs the starter motor. When I try the second time, starts fine. It's as if the compression release doesn't open. Does the compression release require maintenance?
cbevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:19 AM   #2867
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper

Oddometer: 1,390
My 09 does it once in awhile too and if you read back several pages, there are others with the same issue.
wiswoodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:53 AM   #2868
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbevans View Post
2011 690 enduro- does anyone have a similar issue or a fix? About 2/3rds of the time when starting, the first try just boggs the starter motor. When I try the second time, starts fine. It's as if the compression release doesn't open. Does the compression release require maintenance?
As stated, it's normal. The compression release needs to be bumped into the correct position occasionally. When it stops working altogether then worry.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:45 AM   #2869
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by CordR View Post
I know the tire posts can get a little, well, tired, but I'm curious if anyone tried Kenda 270's on their 690.

When I purchased my bike last fall, the previous owner had recently put a new set on. I've really only had one solid full dirt day since then and they seemed ok enough.

My issue is my basis for comparison....my previous bike was more street oriented and I'd use the 80/20 tires in the dirt. Clearly, most options are better than that.

One of the things I dislike the most is that the tire is not very confidence inspiring in the corners (street or dirt) because of the shape/placement of the most outside treads. It just doesn't feel like you can plant it in a corner.

I know there's a lot of fans here of the MotoZ, but it seems to have a similar pattern.

How does the MotoZ grip pavement? Can you lean it over in a corner with confidence?

Anyone riding what they feel is a good compromise where you can do offroad and still hug the tarmac? Mefo's?

Yes, like everyone else, I'm looking for the one tire that does it all that doesn't exist.

Thanks in advance.

C
I've run a lot of different tires on the 690, even non DOT MX tires and honestly, they all have worked fine on pavement for me. I never stress about tossing the bike into corners. Have you done anything with the suspension? Because that probably has more to do with the handling then what tire you're using.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:38 AM   #2870
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,426
Quote:
One of the things I dislike the most is that the tire is not very confidence inspiring in the corners (street or dirt) because of the shape/placement of the most outside treads. It just doesn't feel like you can plant it in a corner.
I've found that the Pirelli AT90 Scorpion is extremely good on the street. Lots of grip, easily the best asphalt grip I've experienced with a dual-sport tire, and they slide very predictably on pavement. It's about a 80/20 tire, however. That Kenda you show is more like a 60/40. Unfortunately, the Scorpions don't do well in mud. Let me rephrase that.... they don't work at all in mud.

But, I did the easy route on the Sheetiron DS ride on them last year with zero drama.

New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:18 PM   #2871
CordR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I've run a lot of different tires on the 690, even non DOT MX tires and honestly, they all have worked fine on pavement for me. I never stress about tossing the bike into corners. Have you done anything with the suspension? Because that probably has more to do with the handling then what tire you're using.

Fair point. Mine is an 08 E, so already lower than the R, but the previous owner had the bike lowered further as he's vertically challenged.

The work was done by a suspension specialty shop in our area, so the work is probably good, but it's still been on my list of things to do to get the bike set to my height and ergs.

C
CordR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:22 PM   #2872
CordR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
I've found that the Pirelli AT90 Scorpion is extremely good on the street. Lots of grip, easily the best asphalt grip I've experienced with a dual-sport tire, and they slide very predictably on pavement. It's about a 80/20 tire, however. That Kenda you show is more like a 60/40. Unfortunately, the Scorpions don't do well in mud. Let me rephrase that.... they don't work at all in mud.

But, I did the easy route on the Sheetiron DS ride on them last year with zero drama.

Thanks, Al. This is what I was considering putting on at the end of next fall when I won't be doing as much offroad but need to navigate slippery tarmac.

For now I'll probably err on the side of more dirt/mud traction....especially as we had a pretty wet winter and the mud will be in spots for quite a while.

C
CordR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #2873
ohauitirod
Dream Rider

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbevans View Post
Had my 690E 3 years done it from new , nothing to worry about
ohauitirod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #2874
cbevans
cbe

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohauitirod View Post
Had my 690E 3 years done it from new , nothing to worry about
Thanks. Didn't know if this was normal. Love the bike so far.
cbevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:57 AM   #2875
jared1843
Drifter

Oddometer: 144
Thought I'd just share this with you fellers. I'm in Moab and over the past two days the 690 has eaten both blinkers, my license plate and I've manager to destroy a mirror and the breakaway piece of my clutch leaver! Love it!!!

I think a rock got my plate. The blinkers just couldn't take the abuse. I'll post up some YouTube videos at some point.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?cayc42
2010 KTM 990 Adventure R - SOLD :(
2011 KTM 690 Enduro R!
jared1843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:41 AM   #2876
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by jared1843 View Post
Thought I'd just share this with you fellers. I'm in Moab and over the past two days the 690 has eaten both blinkers, my license plate and I've manager to destroy a mirror and the breakaway piece of my clutch leaver! Love it!!!

I think a rock got my plate. The blinkers just couldn't take the abuse. I'll post up some YouTube videos at some point.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?cayc42
Hell, I lost a blinker the first day I owned mine.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:56 AM   #2877
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,281
Quote:
How does the MotoZ grip pavement? Can you lean it over in a corner with confidence?

C

Side by side in the same lane with another rider on a 990 ADV with MT 90s, through a 30mph hairpin left at about 60mph.. I would not have pulled the move myself, but we were riding spiritedly, and the friend who came in on the outside is an Expert MX racer, so I must have looked stable enough through the earlier corners for him to feel ok about risking it with a gaurdrail only a couple of feet from the white line.

It was pretty neat seeing the side of his helmet, as well as his bars/speedo etc. out of my peripheal vision. He could have lifted his elbow, and touched my knee with it mid-corner.

So yes, I think they are pretty good on the pavement too. I am reffering to the H/T tire, not the I/T... That is a different animal.
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:00 AM   #2878
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by jared1843 View Post

Could it be sound waves from that loud exhaust weakening the materials?
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:25 AM   #2879
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,073
rear blinkers and tail lights have always been an issue on my trail bikes. i have had good luck with the led tail lights and the blinkers that paul at hdb supplies.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:34 PM   #2880
cpg7562
just me..

Oddometer: 102
Any other 690 guys headed to the overland expo in a couple weeks? Me and my Mrs's are headed out there.

My Spot
cpg7562 is offline   Reply With Quote