Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2012, 04:29 AM   #2911
Oldbear
Don't want a pickle

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
Just did a deal on a 2012 Enduro R and am looking for some wisdom on a couple of things.
Would like to see some GPS mounts, I have a Zumo 550 on one bike and would like to be able to switch back and forth. Anyone have some good pictures of a 690 with the Zumo setup? I'm also looking for risers, opinions/thoughts/experiences. I'm thinking Rox and wonder if there are any issues with cable length. What is the bar size are they 1 1/8 stem and 1 1/8 bar? How about exhausts? FMF seems to have a good price point but I've read some mixed reviews though I think the can that had issues with welds or material has been discontinued. What about Wings?
Finally how about the KTM touring windscreen, seems short enough to not be in the way off road yet will provide some protection from the wind blast when cruise on the roads.

Can't wait to pick the bike up on Friday!
I just bought a spare Zumo mounting dock from eBay and a RAM mount with a 3" double socket arm and attached them to the handlebars.

It's good enough for me, the position is freely adjustable and it seems to stick there pretty well. And since the dock is small there's not too much clutter when you're not using the Zumo.

Of course if you're mainly riding around an MX track you might need a stronger mount.

The bar width is 1 1/8". I'm using 2" ROX Risers and had no trouble with cable length. The clutch side is tight-ish so I cut the original cable ties and did some re-arranging just to be on the safe side. I also rotated the throttle grip first but then realized there's no need for it, there's plenty of slack even in the original position. I'm 190 cm (6'3") and with 2" ROX Risers the riding position is OK for me.

As for the exhaust...I have a titanium Wings waiting for installation so can't comment on performance yet. The quality of workmanship seems first-class as usual.
Oldbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:32 AM   #2912
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
3500 miles 95% on pavement.
Wow, I never even get 1K miles out of dirt tires, and don't even get 1500 out of street tires.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:35 AM   #2913
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,331
Oldbear, that's great info - thank you! Do you have a picture of the Zumo mounted up on your bike? I'll be running trails, not so much the MX track given my limited skill at soaring with the eagles though I suspect 'up' is easy but coming back down might be a bit messy I'm 6'2" so risers will be nice. You said yours are "ok" any reservations or are you indicating that it's better than stock but not 100% perfect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbear View Post
I just bought a spare Zumo mounting dock from eBay and a RAM mount with a 3" double socket arm and attached them to the handlebars.

It's good enough for me, the position is freely adjustable and it seems to stick there pretty well. And since the dock is small there's not too much clutter when you're not using the Zumo.

Of course if you're mainly riding around an MX track you might need a stronger mount.

The bar width is 1 1/8". I'm using 2" ROX Risers and had no trouble with cable length. The clutch side is tight-ish so I cut the original cable ties and did some re-arranging just to be on the safe side. I also rotated the throttle grip first but then realized there's no need for it, there's plenty of slack even in the original position. I'm 190 cm (6'3") and with 2" ROX Risers the riding position is OK for me.

As for the exhaust...I have a titanium Wings waiting for installation so can't comment on performance yet. The quality of workmanship seems first-class as usual.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:47 AM   #2914
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,391
Quote:
Just did a deal on a 2012 Enduro R and am looking for some wisdom on a couple of things.
Would like to see some GPS mounts, I have a Zumo 550 on one bike and would like to be able to switch back and forth. Anyone have some good pictures of a 690 with the Zumo setup? I'm also looking for risers, opinions/thoughts/experiences. I'm thinking Rox and wonder if there are any issues with cable length. What is the bar size are they 1 1/8 stem and 1 1/8 bar? How about exhausts? FMF seems to have a good price point but I've read some mixed reviews though I think the can that had issues with welds or material has been discontinued. What about Wings?
Finally how about the KTM touring windscreen, seems short enough to not be in the way off road yet will provide some protection from the wind blast when cruise on the roads.

Can't wait to pick the bike up on Friday!

I like my solid Tusk risers from Rockymtnatv. Some have said the Rox risers will twist up in a light get off. I have had no worries with mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljockey View Post
None of us are exceptionally skilled riders (excepting when I'm drunk, then I'm fcking quick).
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:34 AM   #2915
Oldbear
Don't want a pickle

Quote:
Oldbear, that's great info - thank you! Do you have a picture of the Zumo mounted up on your bike?
I did have an image attached to my previous post, is it not showing up

It's says BMW Navigator but it's the same as Zumo 660.

Quote:
I'm 6'2" so risers will be nice. You said yours are "ok" any reservations or are you indicating that it's better than stock but not 100% perfect?
2" risers are just fine for my height, maybe could use an inch more when standing up but it's definitely not worth the hassle of replacing cables and such.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:36 AM   #2916
bruceo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
3500 miles 95% on pavement.
RoninMoto, what tires are those?
Old 05-02-2012, 07:39 AM   #2917
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceo View Post
RoninMoto, what tires are those?
Mefo Super Explorer
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/4808/
Old 05-02-2012, 07:51 AM   #2918
Oldbear
Don't want a pickle

Here's the non-oval version of the Wings muffler (with a carbon fibre end-cap).

Seems to weigh exactly 2 kilograms (4,4 lbs) with the large db-killer.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:45 AM   #2919
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
I like my solid Tusk risers from Rockymtnatv. Some have said the Rox risers will twist up in a light get off. I have had no worries with mine.

That sounds painful! I had some bars break on a mountain bike landing a pretty big jump.

And on that note, my neighbor put some of those cheap chinese footpegs on his bike and one of them snapped off leaving a razor sharp edge that cut just above the achilles tendon and tore right up to the bottom of the calf. My wife had to rush them to the hospital - I actually didn't see it till it was all bandaged up.

Not that absolutely proves the $150 Faast pegs are better but it just makes me FEEL better
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #2920
Ryman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colebatch View Post
Chaps, anyone here who has changed their 250mm travel E forks to 275mm R forks or 300mm EXC forks ... do you want to get rid of the E forks?

I am looking for a pair of the 250mm travel forks for a short friend.

PM me

Cheers
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=787187

Utards in Baja
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674444
Ryman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:47 PM   #2921
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colebatch View Post
Chaps, anyone here who has changed their 250mm travel E forks to 275mm R forks or 300mm EXC forks ... do you want to get rid of the E forks?

I am looking for a pair of the 250mm travel forks for a short friend.

PM me

Cheers
I suggest you send the forks out for a respring and revalve and have them lowered in the process. Spend the money to set the suspension up correctly and get it the shorter height at the same time. Just swapping in a shorter set I think you will find they are too stiff for a smaller rider. Having a redone set of 690 suspension I can say its far better than either the stock E or R.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #2922
Pundy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Handlebar rise

Does anyone know how much rise I can get before I need to start replacing cables and brake/clutch lines? I have a 2009 690r.
Pundy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #2923
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pundy View Post
Does anyone know how much rise I can get before I need to start replacing cables and brake/clutch lines? I have a 2009 690r.

2.5 to 3 inches is about how much you can get away with. You just have to flip your throttle over so the cable run out the bottom instead of the top.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:10 PM   #2924
ohauitirod
Dream Rider

Oddometer: 36
Bazza

Anyone had any experiance with the bazzaz ECU that has poped up on ebay ?
ohauitirod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #2925
Pundy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
2.5 to 3 inches is about how much you can get away with. You just have to flip your throttle over so the cable run out the bottom instead of the top.
Thanks Seth!
Pundy is online now   Reply With Quote