Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2012, 05:59 AM   #3136
nippybit
Nippybit

Oddometer: 92
Bikinis Brothel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbikeslob View Post
hey nippy,is that brothel the one with the old beechcraft plane wreck out front.? if it was,i slapped a sticker of our m/c club on the nose and then looked a my friend who was riding with me to say shall we go in-he wasn't so keen.
obw ,we were doing the TAT at the time and desided to take a detour down to death valley,then a few days in vagas,then back up to pick up the trail in eureka
you guys have a fantastic country to ride in
I think there use to be an older brothel there and Bikinis, as you can see from the photos, is brand new. Given that it is on the same road as the airport you are likely correct.

Well, I didn't go in but I could not pass up the pictures of the place. The side facing the highway (95) has the big sign NUDE GIRLS & BIKINIS.

*Just noticed Bobzillas post. There is an airstrip at the north end of town as he said (also fronting on the west side of 95) and I rode a wash on the other side of the highway for miles. The airstrip has a bunch of old planes so that is likely the site you saw. The official Nye County Airport (relatively new) is the one just down the road from Bikinis.

We do have some really great riding but have to be mindful of the heat which can get really oppressive.

The TAT sounds like a great ride. Any pictures from same?

Cheers,

Tom
Watch this space as I am about to say something really prophetic!

nippybit screwed with this post 05-09-2012 at 06:04 AM
nippybit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:05 AM   #3137
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman View Post
Dang, I need to move.

Got an old shed or something I can hang a hammock in Bob? I'll fix that stalling problem for you.
come on out i can do better than that
i have a detached 1200 sf garage that is even heated.
btw 690 is not stalling
it wont start but i have not had time to even take the luggage off it yet. i feel like a one legged man in an ass kickin contest right now
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:55 AM   #3138
Mini Trail
nb

Oddometer: 2,166
Could I use a battery tender through the non-switched, fused lead? I have an SAE connector on there for my GPS already, any harm in sending the voltage back through that circuit?

My 2009 690R with just 6000 miles had a fuel pump failure last month while I was finally able to take it on the type of trip for which I bought it.

Thanks to inmate husa I was able to get to a Performance Supercycle in Cookeville, TN that were very familiar with fuel pump woes in the FI KTMs and Husabergs. They rebuilt my pump with another model innards I think "Motor Works" for about 1/3 the cost of the KTM fuel pump which they did not have in stock.

When they pulled the pump, the lines were badly kinked where the pump had originally been pushed into the tank. They were theorizing that the kinks may have been starving the pump for fuel and causing its early demise. I am thinking it could also have caused some of the rideability problems I have had since day one, especially when running it hot but I haven't had a chance to offroad it since.

Anyway I wanted to post that so there would be another record of very early, expensive and trip-ruining fuel pump failure on the books. Also I would definately recommend having them or someone rebuild your pump rather than spend $400 on a KTM assembly.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:08 AM   #3139
davidmill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I still haven't bought the 2012 690 enduro , the more I read it seems that its mandatory to change pipe, air filter, tank bolts etc... could this bike be left stock and it not cause issues? any body have a list that really should be done for reliability, I'm not looking for more performance, I've never ridden one but feel the bike would have more than enough power. . I can see why these threads disappear KTM must be watching, I was ready to buy last week until I started reading these threads,
davidmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:34 AM   #3140
Maurizio
2 smoker

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmill View Post
could this bike be left stock and it not cause issues?
Yes.
sold: '03 950 adv s, '05 450 exc, '08 690 e
Maurizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:47 AM   #3141
goosecreek
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,247
I have an 08, factory replaced the speedometer and I did nothing but change the oil and ride the hell out of it for the first 4k miles. Then I made a luggage rack that supports the tank so I have not had tank bolt issues. I also tubed the fan shroud,easy fix. I did not know to zip tie the gaurd to the radiator til it was to late but that is fixed .
It has somewhere around nine thousand miles on it now and other than above listed I have only checked the valves.
Get one and ride the hell out of it . By far one of the cheaper smiles you can have.
goosecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:19 AM   #3142
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,352
Quote:
I still haven't bought the 2012 690 enduro , the more I read it seems that its mandatory to change pipe, air filter, tank bolts etc... could this bike be left stock and it not cause issues? any body have a list that really should be done for reliability, I'm not looking for more performance, I've never ridden one but feel the bike would have more than enough power. . I can see why these threads disappear KTM must be watching, I was ready to buy last week until I started reading these threads,
Leaving it stock?

If you are going to pack luggage, you will have issues with the tank bolts.

If you are not super super careful, you will burn yourself or your clothes/soft luggage on the (too hot) stock exhaust.

If you are not replacing the radiator bolts with zip ties, if you ride proper off road where you crash you will sooner or later rip them out and have a leaking radiator.

If you are not spacing the fan shroud away a bit, your fan blades will eventually rub through the fins and the radiator will leak.

Engine mods are not needed, they are mostly for performance and better running, no stalling.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #3143
davidmill
Adventurer

If you are not replacing the radiator bolts with zip ties, if you ride proper off road where you crash you will sooner or later rip them out and have a leaking radiator.

If you are not spacing the fan shroud away a bit, your fan blades will eventually rub through the fins and the radiator will leak. Do these mods need to be done on the 2012 model also
Old 05-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #3144
Noyah
poser

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Do these mods need to be done on the 2012 model also
Doubt it, it's not needed on my 2011.

--> My Movies <--
Noyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #3145
allroadrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Just picked up a new 11 690R Enduro I am going thru the bike makeing it usuable, flatland skid plate, tourtech rack, gps mt the usualy stuff for dualsport, this bike is going to replace my trusty DR650 so I hope it works out.
By the way Iam 68 and have been rideing since I was 14
ARR
allroadrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #3146
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
.....btw 690 is not stalling ....it wont start but i have not had time to even take the luggage off it yet. i feel like a one legged man in an ass kickin contest right now
Bob,
I am encouraged to hear that you haven't unpacked the bike since our Grand Canyon Loop (Inmates, Ride Report to develop in a while ). My gear is spread around the garage and basement, but I took the 690 out for a 100-mile rough ride on Sunday without 60 lbs of gear and was reminded that the bike is way more fun that way in the rough stuff....

And, we missed the campfire discussion of brothels....I rely on you locals for such intel ....I guess I saved some $$$$

My next bike project is to put the Recluse in the 450 this weekend, replace shifter seal and some plastic, and rip around on the 450.....haven't been on it for a year

Let us know what you discover is the 690's "won't-go" problem...now that you showed me how to tear down and reassemble a 690 three days in a row in the desert I have learned some important things about trouble-shooting.

Ya know, as Dr Dave in Escalante said...."It's the green wire under the airbox..."

Are you sure you didn't check that again???

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #3147
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 883
Riders,
There is 2010 690 demo model for sale in Kamloops, British Columbia for $9000 at RTR Performance (250-374-3141). No dings except for flesh and fabric melted onto end of stock muffler....

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:03 AM   #3148
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
come on out i can do better than that
i have a detached 1200 sf garage that is even heated.
btw 690 is not stalling
it wont start but i have not had time to even take the luggage off it yet. i feel like a one legged man in an ass kickin contest right now
My plan is to get out that way and do some desert riding next year. My brother lives in LA and I owe him a visit seeing as he's here right now on his '93 FJ1200. I can't even manage a 500 miler on the 690 and he's going through Canada on the way back. Nut job. I'll definitely have the 690 in the pickup and NV is on the way.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:41 AM   #3149
Woundflatout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448

I just picked up a 2012 690. Happy to report that @ 120mi I have not had 1 issue! :)
Rallymoto #159
Woundflatout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #3150
davidmill
Adventurer

sure is nice to hear some positive things of a bike I've been obsessing over.