Do these mods need to be done on the 2012 model also
Doubt it, it's not needed on my 2011.

--> My Movies <--
Noyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #3137
allroadrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Just picked up a new 11 690R Enduro I am going thru the bike makeing it usuable, flatland skid plate, tourtech rack, gps mt the usualy stuff for dualsport, this bike is going to replace my trusty DR650 so I hope it works out.
By the way Iam 68 and have been rideing since I was 14
ARR
allroadrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #3138
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
.....btw 690 is not stalling ....it wont start but i have not had time to even take the luggage off it yet. i feel like a one legged man in an ass kickin contest right now
Bob,
I am encouraged to hear that you haven't unpacked the bike since our Grand Canyon Loop (Inmates, Ride Report to develop in a while ). My gear is spread around the garage and basement, but I took the 690 out for a 100-mile rough ride on Sunday without 60 lbs of gear and was reminded that the bike is way more fun that way in the rough stuff....

And, we missed the campfire discussion of brothels....I rely on you locals for such intel ....I guess I saved some $$$$

My next bike project is to put the Recluse in the 450 this weekend, replace shifter seal and some plastic, and rip around on the 450.....haven't been on it for a year

Let us know what you discover is the 690's "won't-go" problem...now that you showed me how to tear down and reassemble a 690 three days in a row in the desert I have learned some important things about trouble-shooting.

Ya know, as Dr Dave in Escalante said...."It's the green wire under the airbox..."

Are you sure you didn't check that again???

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #3139
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Riders,
There is 2010 690 demo model for sale in Kamloops, British Columbia for $9000 at RTR Performance (250-374-3141). No dings except for flesh and fabric melted onto end of stock muffler....

Old 05-09-2012, 11:03 AM   #3140
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
come on out i can do better than that
i have a detached 1200 sf garage that is even heated.
btw 690 is not stalling
it wont start but i have not had time to even take the luggage off it yet. i feel like a one legged man in an ass kickin contest right now
My plan is to get out that way and do some desert riding next year. My brother lives in LA and I owe him a visit seeing as he's here right now on his '93 FJ1200. I can't even manage a 500 miler on the 690 and he's going through Canada on the way back. Nut job. I'll definitely have the 690 in the pickup and NV is on the way.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:41 AM   #3141
Woundflatout
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501

I just picked up a 2012 690. Happy to report that @ 120mi I have not had 1 issue! :)
Rallymoto #159
Woundflatout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #3142
davidmill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
sure is nice to hear some positive things of a bike I've been obsessing over.
davidmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #3143
AMa.
Topographer

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Leaving it stock?

If you are going to pack luggage, you will have issues with the tank bolts.

If you are not super super careful, you will burn yourself or your clothes/soft luggage on the (too hot) stock exhaust.

If you are not replacing the radiator bolts with zip ties, if you ride proper off road where you crash you will sooner or later rip them out and have a leaking radiator.

If you are not spacing the fan shroud away a bit, your fan blades will eventually rub through the fins and the radiator will leak.

Engine mods are not needed, they are mostly for performance and better running, no stalling.
+
Insulate the wiring with tape to prevent dust build-up. Sand+vibration+wiring=short circuit=problems. I treated mine with self-amalgamating tape, just to be sure.

KTM 690 R 2012
AMa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #3144
Barman
Way Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmill View Post
sure is nice to hear some positive things of a bike I've been obsessing over.
I've had good luck with mine. Only a stalling issue that was due to intake and exhaust mods with the stock maps but that was easily remedied. Other than that it's all about preventive maintenance with these bikes. If you wait till you have a problem it will take an effort to chase it down. There's not one bit of constructive maintenance procedure in these threads that I haven't performed or improved upon on mine.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #3145
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 14,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman View Post
My plan is to get out that way and do some desert riding next year. My brother lives in LA and I owe him a visit seeing as he's here right now on his '93 FJ1200. I can't even manage a 500 miler on the 690 and he's going through Canada on the way back. Nut job. I'll definitely have the 690 in the pickup and NV is on the way.

Just got back from racing the MEX1000 and I'm totally addicted to the desert now. It was my first time and I learned a lot. The SE was a blast on the dry lake beds One of our stages was 175 miles long, imagine that I'll be returning next year with a built up 690RR bike, no question
Old 05-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #3146
Barman
Way Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Just got back from racing the MEX1000 and I'm totally addicted to the desert now. It was my first time and I learned a lot. The SE was a blast on the dry lake beds One of our stages was 175 miles long, imagine that I'll be returning next year with a built up 690RR bike, no question
I'm envious. That twin must have been a blast. The last time I played around on the lake beds was in the Mojave driving a Humvee at about 90 I think was the top end. That was on a training exercise before the first gulf war. Been a while and of all the vehicles I've operated in the desert a bike hasn't been one of them.
I'll be looking forward to the build thread on the RR.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #3147
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 14,005
Quote:
I'm envious. That twin must have been a blast. The last time I played around on the lake beds was in the Mojave driving a Humvee at about 90 I think was the top end. That was on a training exercise before the first gulf war. Been a while and of all the vehicles I've operated in the desert a bike hasn't been one of them.
I'll be looking forward to the build thread on the RR.
The twin was fun until the sand whoops in San Felipe and the Pemex jump on the way to coco's I think a big single is probably the best choice for Baja if you're looking to be competative. The 950 is perfect for touring though.
The sand road through the giant cactus was amazing!
Old 05-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #3148
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,224
So Cranky - a 690 seems to be the natural choice because of the high speeds. The 350 was good for low 90's. The Honda probably good for 105 or so. How fast was that old Husky do you think?
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:52 PM   #3149
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
..... I think a big single is probably the best choice for Baja if you're looking to be competative. ...

Crank,
I agree with you about a single for the desert...but a 530 would be superior to the 690 in those conditions....it is lighter and has adequate power....don't see too many 690's in the Baja 1000....but a bunch of 450-550's....and dump all that RR weight....

Just a thought

Old 05-09-2012, 03:49 PM   #3150
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 921
Quote:
drop in Barman and we will go for a ride and have a few brews
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote