Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2012, 12:08 PM   #3226
blakrj
Need to ride

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
good question. If it fits it will be very tight. Why not go with a 16T on the front and go down a couple of teeth in the back? Also a 17T sprocket with the stock 45T in the rear is going to be quite tall. I have run the 16T with 45T rear and it worked well enough and smoothed revs out at all speed ranges. it was just a little tall for the slower more technical riding and required more clutch feathering...or faster riding. On the highway it was great but in high speed softer surfaces the bike really bogged down and had trouble accelerating...required extra vigilance to run the lower gears out before shifting. I found the 15/44 combo to work nicely while racing in Australia. Bike would go 100 mph in the sand somewhere in the 8000 rpm range but not at redline (in 6th).
Seth, it's just to cover some long haul black top, hence no change to the rear. I can swap back to the 15 easy enough. Got a point on the 15/44 combo - perhaps an option to run 16/44 and swap back to 15/44 when needed. Gearingcommander here I come...
www.airborneriders.com
blakrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #3227
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
good question. If it fits it will be very tight. Why not go with a 16T on the front and go down a couple of teeth in the back? Also a 17T sprocket with the stock 45T in the rear is going to be quite tall. I have run the 16T with 45T rear and it worked well enough and smoothed revs out at all speed ranges. it was just a little tall for the slower more technical riding and required more clutch feathering...or faster riding. On the highway it was great but in high speed softer surfaces the bike really bogged down and had trouble accelerating...required extra vigilance to run the lower gears out before shifting. I found the 15/44 combo to work nicely while racing in Australia. Bike would go 100 mph in the sand somewhere in the 8000 rpm range but not at redline (in 6th).
Then you install a Vortex and get the best of both worlds
Old 05-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #3228
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Then you install a Vortex and get the best of both worlds
The Vortex ECU makes a huge difference. Swapped maps last week with the power map 1 with softer initial throttle and it's awesome.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:26 PM   #3229
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Fork set up in triple clamps

Hi Folks
Just bought a 2010 690 R and while riding it noticed the previous owner lowered the bike in the forks as he's somewhat shorter than I. He lowered the bike about .75 of an inch in the clamps. The owners manual doesn't indicate the stock position of the forks in the clamps. Whats the height of the forks in the clamp supposed to be from the factory?

Yesterday was my first real ride on the bike so I diialed the mapping to position 3 just to get a feel of the low range throttle response. My intent is to dial it up in increments as I ride the bike to see what I like, but I'm curious what setting some of you use in more technical terrain? Do you change settings or just get used to a certain setting and forget about it?

I know there's a Luggage Thread, but I'm tired and lazy after a long day at work and don't feel like typing another post so I'll ask here. This IS the Wunderfest afterall...the bike has the KTM side racks (suitcase carrier) system and the endura top bracket on it. I won't be using hard luggage so will end up removing the side racks and go with the Giant Loop luggage for longer trips and a smaller tool pack on a rear rack for day tripping. Whats the EnduroTop bracket for? Is it integrated with the side rack or a separate stand alone piece? I'm looking at the Touratech Luggage Rack for a small pack for tools and a jacket.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Garrett
Old 05-11-2012, 10:05 PM   #3230
jtmajors
OCD with motorcycles

Oddometer: 298
I'm in the market for a new bike. I have a long off road racing background with the last race bike being a 2009 Crf 450. I wanted to get more into dual sporting so bought a 2010 wr 250x and added dirt tires and have been riding it for the last year. I'm bored with it now cuz it's just too slow for my taste. It's fine for tight single track but in wide open riding like I did in big bend, tx this year it just wasn't enough. I wanted much more power on road and off every time I road it.

High on my list is the 690? Can this bike really be ridden aggressive offroad in both wide open desert type and tight single track? I don't plan on spending hours on end on road, it will mostly be for offroad. Do you think I'll be happy with the 690 or should I get a 500exc? Also considering plating a 2012 wr450f. I really like the maintenance intervals on the 690 compared to the 500exc though.
jtmajors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:45 AM   #3231
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmajors View Post
I'm in the market for a new bike. I have a long off road racing background with the last race bike being a 2009 Crf 450. I wanted to get more into dual sporting so bought a 2010 wr 250x and added dirt tires and have been riding it for the last year. I'm bored with it now cuz it's just too slow for my taste. It's fine for tight single track but in wide open riding like I did in big bend, tx this year it just wasn't enough. I wanted much more power on road and off every time I road it.

High on my list is the 690? Can this bike really be ridden aggressive offroad in both wide open desert type and tight single track? I don't plan on spending hours on end on road, it will mostly be for offroad. Do you think I'll be happy with the 690 or should I get a 500exc? Also considering plating a 2012 wr450f. I really like the maintenance intervals on the 690 compared to the 500exc though.
Its a 690cc 140 odd kg dirt bike that can do everything but its not as nimble as a 250 or as heavy as a 800xc for the road - but what a bike - not for everyone but shaw is for me
On another note took her to action nerang yesterday where i originally bought her Tyrone ? fitted the handlebar switch no probs and loaded the akro mapping for me {I had it dyno'd and was told it was spik {$550} , but the akro map is the way to go it kept coming up with a FI problem with the mapping dyno guy did ktm has a firmhand in it somehow.} Theres also for anyone that doesnt know two accessories wires behind the headlight surround one of which i installed a waterproof socket for my montaqna gps , have a g2 throttle tamer arriving in the next few days and a guard-it tech rear rack also-606's work very well front and back much better than the tkc's that came with bike- on the mapping switch if anyone gets one the number two setting is what you have the original setting on and the one setting is the standard setting {number 3 }

Beer'o'clock Baz screwed with this post 05-12-2012 at 02:30 AM
Beer'o'clock Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:20 AM   #3232
jtmajors
OCD with motorcycles

Oddometer: 298
So could this bike be raced offroad in stock form? I'm not talking professional racing. I mean amateur. Would I be happier with a ktm 500exc? Wish I could give one a good flogging and see how it handles.

jtmajors screwed with this post 05-12-2012 at 07:27 AM
jtmajors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:28 AM   #3233
Roostre
Discombobulated

Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmajors View Post
So could this bike be raced offroad in stock form? I'm not talking professional racing. I mean amateur. Would I be happier with a ktm 500exc?

Depends on the format. I've raced my 690 and its surprised a few people, but it was on a fairly wide open Nevada course. It will geet-up and haul no problem, but it takes a lot more effort to slow it down and it has a larger turning radius than the 500exc. If you can live with that you could be happy with the 690.

For all out racing the 500 would be better, but for all around riding I like the 690 and its big oil sump for longevity. Gives the ability to do some big trips without taxing the bike at all.
Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:53 AM   #3234
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
And THAT is what it's all about! Well said.

He really did sum it up well

On day two of the MX1000, we raced through San Ignatio! Blasting through town while the locals are all waving and cheering was amazing, where in the US would that ever happen On the way home, we stopped in that town and hung out for a few hours, eating taco's and chatting up the locals. They loved the experience, more than we did and I was handing out stickers left and right. Magical place, nothing at all like the US.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:05 AM   #3235
blakrj
Need to ride

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
My choice is to live my life, not in fear but with an open mind, thinking for myself.
Amen to that!
www.airborneriders.com
blakrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:33 AM   #3236
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,043
Just got back from my first ride in Baja and there is nothing like it. I would like to ride Big Bend in Texas, but Baja is like a giant off road riding area. Pretty incredible. The people in general are very nice too. And the food is great!
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:40 AM   #3237
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett View Post
Hi Folks
Just bought a 2010 690 R and while riding it noticed the previous owner lowered the bike in the forks as he's somewhat shorter than I. He lowered the bike about .75 of an inch in the clamps. The owners manual doesn't indicate the stock position of the forks in the clamps. Whats the height of the forks in the clamp supposed to be from the factory?

Yesterday was my first real ride on the bike so I diialed the mapping to position 3 just to get a feel of the low range throttle response. My intent is to dial it up in increments as I ride the bike to see what I like, but I'm curious what setting some of you use in more technical terrain? Do you change settings or just get used to a certain setting and forget about it?

I know there's a Luggage Thread, but I'm tired and lazy after a long day at work and don't feel like typing another post so I'll ask here. This IS the Wunderfest afterall...the bike has the KTM side racks (suitcase carrier) system and the endura top bracket on it. I won't be using hard luggage so will end up removing the side racks and go with the Giant Loop luggage for longer trips and a smaller tool pack on a rear rack for day tripping. Whats the EnduroTop bracket for? Is it integrated with the side rack or a separate stand alone piece? I'm looking at the Touratech Luggage Rack for a small pack for tools and a jacket.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Garrett
The stock location for the forks is top of tubes almost flush with the triple clamp. (just a hair higher). This will affect your handling especially if you have luggage. When my bike was loaded for the first time I felt like my front tire was pushing in the turns... "chopper'd out" or something. I lowered the front suspension with the fork tubes 1/2 inch above the triple clamp and it solved that "pushing" when turning in dirt. Now I actually have my front and rear suspension lowered so my fork tubes are flush with the clamp. (I'm a short bastard)

As for the luggage rack, You will find a lot of people run racks even with soft bags to take the weight off the gas tank/plastic subframe. I have the touratech top rack and it wants to chew up my straps it seems like. Almost like the anodizing is rough. I will be modding it soon.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:46 AM   #3238
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Has anyone run a Kouba link to lower a 690? I'm thinking of slamming my 690 for the ice this winter and wondered if it worked well or not.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:49 AM   #3239
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,628
Quote:
Has anyone run a Kouba link to lower a 690? I'm thinking of slamming my 690 for the ice this winter and wondered if it worked well or not.
I tried running a 1 and 5/8" kouba link and removed it. I was rubbing the tire on the tank in the desert whoops.

It would probably work great for ice racing. I'll sell it to you cheap... ?
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:08 AM   #3240
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
I tried running a 1 and 5/8" kouba link and removed it. I was rubbing the tire on the tank in the desert whoops.

It would probably work great for ice racing. I'll sell it to you cheap... ?
PM me man, done deal!