Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2012, 10:26 AM   #3241
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Has anyone run a Kouba link to lower a 690? I'm thinking of slamming my 690 for the ice this winter and wondered if it worked well or not.
I sat on an R with the Kouba link, it was the same height as my 08 E.

Ronin looks to be a bit smaller than us from the pics in his RR. I'd be afraid of the ice tire doing a number on the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljockey View Post
None of us are exceptionally skilled riders (excepting when I'm drunk, then I'm fcking quick).
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #3242
shan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmajors View Post
So could this bike be raced offroad in stock form? I'm not talking professional racing. I mean amateur. Would I be happier with a ktm 500exc? Wish I could give one a good flogging and see how it handles.
I sold my 2012 500 six day exc to get the 690 RR
The 500 is not to good for long trips and as much as it was a rocket ship its more like a 250 ,

If you wont to do the distance and not have the short service intervals and always having to find fuel ,the 690 is the dogs !

But my bike is not stock lol
shan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #3243
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
The stock location for the forks is top of tubes almost flush with the triple clamp. (just a hair higher). This will affect your handling especially if you have luggage. When my bike was loaded for the first time I felt like my front tire was pushing in the turns... "chopper'd out" or something. I lowered the front suspension with the fork tubes 1/2 inch above the triple clamp and it solved that "pushing" when turning in dirt. Now I actually have my front and rear suspension lowered so my fork tubes are flush with the clamp. (I'm a short bastard)

As for the luggage rack, You will find a lot of people run racks even with soft bags to take the weight off the gas tank/plastic subframe. I have the touratech top rack and it wants to chew up my straps it seems like. Almost like the anodizing is rough. I will be modding it soon.
Thanks Noah!

Great blog, I'm envious of your trip. Have a great ride and if you're coming through Calgary let me know.
Garrett
Old 05-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #3244
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
I sat on an R with the Kouba link, it was the same height as my 08 E.

Ronin looks to be a bit smaller than us from the pics in his RR. I'd be afraid of the ice tire doing a number on the tank.
Stiffer spring, the ice is like pavement. DTX bikes on the ice don't make contact with the bike because the suspension is set up for it.

crankshaft screwed with this post 05-12-2012 at 02:26 PM
crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:41 AM   #3245
blakrj
Need to ride

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
They don't have a race called the Mexican 1000 anywhere else. It was this particular race people spent big money to get a piece of; nothing else.

Nobody went down there sight seeing. You know that, right?

You are on the wrong forum.
Never say never. Once upon a time there used to be a race in Africa called the Dakar...
www.airborneriders.com
blakrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:52 AM   #3246
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

I was able to do a quick amp check on an external Bosch fuel pump yesterday and the meter read 84 watts. As I recall, the 690 has 200w available. Anyone with a Vortex having cold start issues? I'm finding that I need to crank for a little while to get it to fire. Adjusting the idle helped a little and it starts fine when warmed up. I'm thinking the cold start enrichment PBW needs to be increased. I admit that I pulled the air box out and installed the pod filter.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #3247
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
I was able to do a quick amp check on an external Bosch fuel pump yesterday and the meter read 84 watts. As I recall, the 690 has 200w available. Anyone with a Vortex having cold start issues? I'm finding that I need to crank for a little while to get it to fire. Adjusting the idle helped a little and it starts fine when warmed up. I'm thinking the cold start enrichment PBW needs to be increased. I admit that I pulled the air box out and installed the pod filter.
I've been thinking about installing a pod filter just to eliminate removing the airbox every time I work on the bike. Would make my life simpler.

Mine starts right up with the Vortex. No issue there but it has stalled a couple of times waiting at lights. It's not the same as the stalling with the stock ECU, different dynamic. Just coughs and dies. I'm thinking it's running too rich at idle. I've gone through everything in the last week. Valves adjusted, all grounds refit, good spark plug, no shorts in the coil wiring, new injector, even replaced the rollover sensor with a spare from my R1 I had laying around. I have installed an 88c on fan switch. Could the fan cycling on drop the voltage maybe? Probably a stretch but I'm not going to eliminate it as a possibility.
Runs like a beast with the new ECU though.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:50 AM   #3248
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman View Post
I've been thinking about installing a pod filter just to eliminate removing the airbox every time I work on the bike. Would make my life simpler.

Mine starts right up with the Vortex. No issue there but it has stalled a couple of times waiting at lights. It's not the same as the stalling with the stock ECU, different dynamic. Just coughs and dies. I'm thinking it's running too rich at idle. I've gone through everything in the last week. Valves adjusted, all grounds refit, good spark plug, no shorts in the coil wiring, new injector, even replaced the rollover sensor with a spare from my R1 I had laying around. I have installed an 88c on fan switch. Could the fan cycling on drop the voltage maybe? Probably a stretch but I'm not going to eliminate it as a possibility.
Runs like a beast with the new ECU though.
Been going for evening urban rides, hitting the clover leaf down the street and doing laps around it, followed by trails behind the mall and grocery store where the kids cut through and then a little bit of stair riding at the bank

Runs like a champ, just the cold start is a bit off I think and that could be the increased amount of air with the air box gone. I'll switch maps and see if it changes. I'm thinking of wiring the power to the ECU through a separate switch, bypassing all the silly safety stuff and hoping that the power to the ECU will be consistent. The wiring harness in the bike is shit anyway, but they all are. Husky seems to be the worst of them all.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #3249
Barman
Way Offline

Quote:
Been going for evening urban rides, hitting the clover leaf down the street and doing laps around it, followed by trails behind the mall and grocery store where the kids cut through and then a little bit of stair riding at the bank

Runs like a champ, just the cold start is a bit off I think and that could be the increased amount of air with the air box gone. I'll switch maps and see if it changes. I'm thinking of wiring the power to the ECU through a separate switch, bypassing all the silly safety stuff and hoping that the power to the ECU will be consistent. The wiring harness in the bike is shit anyway, but they all are. Husky seems to be the worst of them all.
I did a VT loop on Monday. Passed through your neck of the woods then hit a few trails below Bromley, had a blast.

For close to $900 list for the oem harness you'd figure it would be top notch.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #3250
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 783
Crankshaft:

With your airbox removed, where did you put your intake air temp sensor? I have mine ziptied to the left side of the frame and it seems to work fine there, it just doesn't look real sanitary. Did you come up with a better solution?
The Letter J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:10 PM   #3251
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
Crankshaft:

With your airbox removed, where did you put your intake air temp sensor? I have mine ziptied to the left side of the frame and it seems to work fine there, it just doesn't look real sanitary. Did you come up with a better solution?
I zip tied it to a wire bundle near the throttle body, so nothing fancy. I'm planning on moving the battery farther forward and then putting the filter where the battery is using alum tube. The plan is to weld a boss in the alum tube for the intake sensor to plug into. A nice light Shorai battery behind the radiator mounted flat would be the ticket I think.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:04 PM   #3252
Okieboy2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
I had cold start issues. It would take 8 to 10 times hitting the start button before it would start. I tried the whole range of idle adjustment and it didn't help. I put the stock ecu setup back on and the bike would fire up on the second stab of the starter. I ended up sending it back to the guys at Vortex and they reflashed it to the latest settings. That was a couple of weeks ago. Now it will start on the second or third stab of the starter. The idle is a little slow at first but within a couple of seconds it's idling fine. I haven't tried changing the idle setting yet to see if I can improve it. I will say that I sure missed my Vortex while it was gone. It's amazing how much better the bike runs! I would recommend a Vortex to anybody with a 690.
Okieboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #3253
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okieboy2 View Post
I had cold start issues. It would take 8 to 10 times hitting the start button before it would start. I tried the whole range of idle adjustment and it didn't help. I put the stock ecu setup back on and the bike would fire up on the second stab of the starter. I ended up sending it back to the guys at Vortex and they reflashed it to the latest settings. That was a couple of weeks ago. Now it will start on the second or third stab of the starter. The idle is a little slow at first but within a couple of seconds it's idling fine. I haven't tried changing the idle setting yet to see if I can improve it. I will say that I sure missed my Vortex while it was gone. It's amazing how much better the bike runs! I would recommend a Vortex to anybody with a 690.
Ah, that's good to know. I know it's the priming pulse for the cold start enrichment. I turn the key on, just stab the start button real quick. I do that 3 or 4 times and it fires right up. Basically like the old days when you gave the gas pedal three pumps before starting the car I'll call the Vortex folks and see whats up. thx for the heads up!
Old 05-13-2012, 04:50 PM   #3254
Barman
Way Offline

Quote:
Ah, that's good to know. I know it's the priming pulse for the cold start enrichment. I turn the key on, just stab the start button real quick. I do that 3 or 4 times and it fires right up. Basically like the old days when you gave the gas pedal three pumps before starting the car I'll call the Vortex folks and see whats up. thx for the heads up!
Makes sense. I've got the latest flash on mine and no trouble with start up.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:29 PM   #3255
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,045
My bike usually starts on the 2nd or 3rd try with the Vortex. I emailed them about it and they said they were working on it. I might send it back to get reflashed one of these days.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is online now   Reply With Quote