Evil Invader
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman View Post
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=736108
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBF7j...393C8C907D24C5

I use a 9v battery and carb cleaner.
Be really careful with the o-rings reinstalling the injector, they tear easily. I ordered a few with the new injector just for that reason.
Thanks mate!

M Motoadventures
Evil Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:02 PM   #3317
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,679
I noticed the 690 is taking longer to start once the engine becomes hot? Starting from cold is no problem. Is this an early sign something is on the way out? Any advice appriciated, (bike has done about 20,000 klm)
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:24 PM   #3318
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
I just bought a parts lot from a local racer on a 690 SMC, it's supposed to include a carb conversion kit with all OEM parts (probably 690 Rally?). He mentioned a 41mm carb with TPS, flywheel, ignition coil, wiring harness and ECU.

Looking at the microfiche this appears to be correct as all those parts are different from the standard 690 E/R/SMC etc.

I'll post some info once I get the stuff in the garage. Maybe it's time I finally step up and actually get a 690 after reading pretty much every post in both this and the old threads!!!
Lucas I think you should just sell me the parts to do the conversion
Ill let you know how it goes and maybe save you the trouble of being frustrated with a great bike with a few weaknesses. weaknesses that only come to light when pushed long and hard.

I would also like a list of the parts too please
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #3319
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
I found a compact adjustable fuel pressure regulator and housing, which will make the external fuel pump an easier swap. I picked up a used LTR pump but I might just use a Bosch car pump, because they're proven reliable. I know at least a dozen rally cars that use them and have never heard of a failure. They draw 6.5 to 7 amps, which seems a bit high but as I recall, the stator puts out 200W. The other benefit of using the Bosch pump is the ability to find one in just about any junk yard or parts shop, even in Mexico
Old 05-15-2012, 04:18 PM   #3320
ohauitirod
Dream Rider

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
Thank you!

It looks like it is viable option after all ( I mean SMC-R or Enduro - they virtually same just different wheels).
I have an Enduro and have a set off 17'' smc wheels for motarding around town , the best off both worlds , if you want both options go with the Enduro , the SMC you may need to change the forks etc to get the same result.
With the Enduro its just the wheels and you are good to Goooo
ohauitirod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:19 PM   #3321
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper

Oddometer: 1,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
I noticed the 690 is taking longer to start once the engine becomes hot? Starting from cold is no problem. Is this an early sign something is on the way out? Any advice appriciated, (bike has done about 20,000 klm)
seems to be a fairly common problem with the 690's

Mines been doing it since I got it - but has never failed to start. Keep the battery at full charge and everything should be fine
wiswoodsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:23 PM   #3322
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,145
new shorai battery is here...now to put fluids back in the bike and see if it works

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #3323
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
Most of these in tank pumps have very poor suction hence their mounting in the bottom of the tank...and the challenge of locating a pump elsewhere on the bike that is low enough.
... or use two pumps. One impêller-based in the tank that's very uncensitive to debris, and another one gear based for high pressure (200 PSI). A medium pressure, low RMS, filter in between. Like in some snowmobiles ...

Paul Jr
Old 05-15-2012, 08:01 PM   #3324
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,927
New Owner

Hello all,
I am the proud owner of new 2012 690 Enduro. The shorter height is something that appealed to me.
I hope all goes well with it as I hear mixed opinions of this bike.
I traded in a 2008 Duke III 690, so a little bit of history with this motor (although different).
Farkles will come of course and its very hard to keep up with this thread and all the great info in many individual posts.
So here goes my first additions, all after my initial break-in, of which I have ordered some parts all ready.
1) FMF Q4 pipe & 2012 map. Easy enough.
2) Air filter. Various ways to go here. Some have mentioned leaking/dirt getting past? I plan to use the Rally Raid/Twin Air set up.
Dependable air filter as in being air tight?
3) Added fuel capacity. Spendy yikes. I have ordered the Rally Raid twin side tanks.
Looks like a semi complicated install (with evap canister removal).
What are the opinions of this route for extra gas?
Then simple stuff. Rear master cylinder guard (TT), Wolfman side racks and then I hope to keep the stock skid plate at least for a while.
I've had another bike where an aluminum skid rings even rubber mounted. ...Disturbing.

Ok LOL, my fisrt issue with my bike (in 125 miles) , my speedo is intermittent or not registering at all. in between zero while riding it also hit 102, 110 125 & 149 mph. LOL, I was not going that fast.
Odometer is intermittent also.
Everything looks connected. Ideas?

Well... here it goes!
Thank you to the knowledgeable.
Cheers
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:03 PM   #3325
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,922
Quote:

As long as you AA is just a cell phone call away, sure thing. But how many times has your 690 been outside of the US Albie?
Hey, with all the things I've had go wrong with mine. It only left me stranded on the side of the road once when the fuel pump went out, and that was 10 miles from the hotel we were staying in.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:10 PM   #3326
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurizio View Post
As far as I have understand during these years here in ADVRider, US spec'd bikes appear to have much more trouble than the euro ones, perhaps due to all that dreaded emissions crap or a greatest ethanol percentage in the fuel.
Albie's bike could have behaved better outside the US...
Honestly, none of my problems stem from the quality of gas at all, much less the emissions crap. My fuel pump failed because the wire to the brushes broke. Those 3 radiators, 2 instrument clusters, broken header, shitty air intake sensor harness, and sticking rear break lever aren't even associated with the fuel system.

Now all my burnt gear and flesh are directly related to the dreaded emissions crap.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #3327
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Are the valve clearances in spec? That's usually what happens when they get tight.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:00 PM   #3328
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:

The 690 thread has already outlasted 2 of them, thus the addition above.

It's mostly my work output that suffers though...

What about that Sherrie Jo girl? She seems to bring good luck to the 690 - besides you guys already got high together!

Of course I don't really know what I'm saying as I've never seen a non ATGATT pic of her
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:16 AM   #3329
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Are the valve clearances in spec? That's usually what happens when they get tight.
I steer clear of internal engine stuff (a mans just got to know his limitations) but sounds like a trip to dealer is on the cards for a once over. thanks for your help!
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:08 AM   #3330
dirtbikeslob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
I steer clear of internal engine stuff (a mans just got to know his limitations) but sounds like a trip to dealer is on the cards for a once over. thanks for your help!
what sort of filter are you running?
dirtbikeslob is offline   Reply With Quote