Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2012, 06:31 PM   #3436
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pundy View Post
Thank you!!!! That's exactly the one I was looking for.
Took me an hour to remember where I hid those links on myself.
I should start a sticky with links. I've got them all, just need to organize.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:52 PM   #3437
Oz-Strom
Still trying

Oddometer: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
Has anyone come up with a permanent solution for the brass fittings that keep coming out of the airbox for holding the stock snorkel on/ sealing the filter?
I ended up ditching the brass nut inserts and screws, and now just using self taper screws through the plastic airbox. Worked fine so far, but I am careful not to overtighten and pull them through.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:25 AM   #3438
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba

Oddometer: 790
I drilled through it, put in a bolt from the bottom and use a nut on the lid.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:11 AM   #3439
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman View Post
Is it possible?
Been doing this all season.
I use the recommended Motorex 10w60 and fill it to between the lo/hi lines while on a lift stand.
I went for a 40 mile ride today after changing the oil, parked it and it's above the window. Changed the injector back to stock as well after a back flush prior to the ride.
When I pull the fill cap out and give it a whiff, I can smell gas fumes but that's normal to an extent, right?

I had an analysis done 1000 miles ago and it stated that there was gas in the oil. At that time I installed a new injector and wrote it off as problem fixed. The problem is still here but how is it possible? There is only one way into the engine and that's past the piston right?

I have installed the Vortex ECU since the analysis and my mileage has dropped to 42mpg but logic would dictate that more power equals more fuel consumption I figure.

The bike runs like a champ. Seriously strong, exhaust soot in the can looks the right chocolate color as does the spark plug, no running issues, temperature is right.

And it's not coolant. I've turned wrenches for a long time and definitely know what that looks like.

Does Motorex expand? But someone did mention that it foams which isn't good. Maybe I'll go Motul next but that's another issue...
I`d pull the injector out . With the fuel line & wires connected crank the engine a few times , then see if you get any drips from the injector . I back flushed mine a few times then the injector started dripping . With 50 psi in the fuel while the engine is off you could end up with a lot of drips going in your engine . I back flushed my injector a few times & it started dripping . I won`t be back flushing again .
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:26 AM   #3440
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute View Post
I`d pull the injector out . With the fuel line & wires connected crank the engine a few times , then see if you get any drips from the injector . I back flushed mine a few times then the injector started dripping . With 50 psi in the fuel while the engine is off you could end up with a lot of drips going in your engine . I back flushed my injector a few times & it started dripping . I won`t be back flushing again .

If that doesn't work maybe the jets are clogged

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:39 AM   #3441
Barman
Way Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute View Post
Sound advice but I changed the oil (Ran it and double checked the level before I took it off the stand) and freshly flushed injector at say 11am. Took it for a 45 mile spin at 11:30am. Never shut the engine off until 12:15pm to get fuel. Parked at 12:20pm and put on the stand to check oil level, over the window.
This is what has me stumped. It ran great the entire time. If that much fuel was getting dumped in the cylinder it would run like crap, maybe not at all.

I'll figure it out. If not my local Suzuki dealer is going to have a stock 690 on the showroom floor and you all will have a great big pile of aftermarket goodies to pick over.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:43 AM   #3442
Barman
Way Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
If that doesn't work maybe the jets are clogged
Wish I had 'em.

As soon as I turn the key on the injector just pops out of the housing from the fuel pressure. Definitely doesn't dribble from the tip though. Do you wire it in or something?
Old 05-22-2012, 05:51 AM   #3443
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,189
Dibs on the soft luggage racks!
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:59 AM   #3444
Barman
Way Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
Dibs on the soft luggage racks!
I knew that was coming.

I'll throw in the big orange thing the racks bolt onto for 8000 more.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:43 AM   #3445
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman View Post
I knew that was coming.

I'll throw in the big orange thing the racks bolt onto for 8000 more.
I'll buy it, I need a spares bike
Old 05-22-2012, 06:58 AM   #3446
Barman
Way Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
I'll buy it, I need a spares bike
It's loaded.

I drained off the excess bit of oil and noticed that my stand leans to the left which would make a difference if I rechecked the oil level when the bike is off the stand but I always check it on the stand. I am going to do my oil checks on the floor and see if that solves this little debaucle.

It seems I've been having this issue only since I bought the "leaning" stand. Just realized that. Sometimes takes me a while...
Old 05-22-2012, 08:34 AM   #3447
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper

Oddometer: 1,265
Holy Shit does the seat SUCK ASS !!!!

Since my plans last week didnt exactly go as planned, I decided to reward myself with some much wanted seat time on my new to me 690. I had 2 beautiful days to utilize my time aboard my bike - both days had my wife along as well. I really wanted to put some miles on the bike, as it only had 417 when I climbed in the saddle as of Saturday. Anyways, first day was just shy of 140 miles and had plenty of stops to relieve the tension that was building when riding. I could tell the seat was a brick - but with the frequent stops, it went slightly unnoticed. The second day was over 300 miles and after the first 50 my ass was feelin it. I thought it was the lack of movement with having a passenger on board - but as the mile piled on, it just got more miserable. Out comes the sweatshirt, neatly folded on the seat, which only sufficed for about 30-40 miles - the pain returned twofold. I had read of a $20 fix by buying a padded ATV seat cover from Wally World - this was a very welcome addition (and was the last one available) - but again only remedied the problem for a very short stint. Even tried the sweatshirt under the seat cover - but this was just too wonky and put me about 3 inches higher than a stock seat. Made touching the ground almost impossible and add a passenger to add to the chaos.

I am now in need a better seat. Would love a Renazco - but it is out of my limits at the moment and I dont really feel like waitng (I know that they are the bomb and totally worth waiting for) My second choice and the one I truly need to go with is possible a decent gel seat. So if anyone wan recommend one for me, it will be greatly appreciated. Hopefully someone can relay their review so I dont have too much guess work involved when making my decision. My other question is, do all the aftermarket seats come complete or do I have to add the foam and cover to my existing seat ?? Id rather just purchase a different seat and keep the stocker for days when I ride by myself and Im playin on the trails.

The only thing that kept me going was reading Noah's RTW excursion and thinkin that he probably had worse days than mine
wiswoodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:46 AM   #3448
Barman
Way Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiswoodsguy View Post

Since my plans last week didnt exactly go as planned, I decided to reward myself with some much wanted seat time on my new to me 690. I had 2 beautiful days to utilize my time aboard my bike - both days had my wife along as well. I really wanted to put some miles on the bike, as it only had 417 when I climbed in the saddle as of Saturday. Anyways, first day was just shy of 140 miles and had plenty of stops to relieve the tension that was building when riding. I could tell the seat was a brick - but with the frequent stops, it went slightly unnoticed. The second day was over 300 miles and after the first 50 my ass was feelin it. I thought it was the lack of movement with having a passenger on board - but as the mile piled on, it just got more miserable. Out comes the sweatshirt, neatly folded on the seat, which only sufficed for about 30-40 miles - the pain returned twofold. I had read of a $20 fix by buying a padded ATV seat cover from Wally World - this was a very welcome addition (and was the last one available) - but again only remedied the problem for a very short stint. Even tried the sweatshirt under the seat cover - but this was just too wonky and put me about 3 inches higher than a stock seat. Made touching the ground almost impossible and add a passenger to add to the chaos.

I am now in need a better seat. Would love a Renazco - but it is out of my limits at the moment and I dont really feel like waitng (I know that they are the bomb and totally worth waiting for) My second choice and the one I truly need to go with is possible a decent gel seat. So if anyone wan recommend one for me, it will be greatly appreciated. Hopefully someone can relay their review so I dont have too much guess work involved when making my decision. My other question is, do all the aftermarket seats come complete or do I have to add the foam and cover to my existing seat ?? Id rather just purchase a different seat and keep the stocker for days when I ride by myself and Im playin on the trails.

The only thing that kept me going was reading Noah's RTW excursion and thinkin that he probably had worse days than mine
Yes it sucks.
I'm sending a stock seat out soon to Renazco. Been talking w/James and worked out a cusom setup. Awesome.
It's the new ergo design. Vinyl covered and a good price. He stated no lead time. Probably not after this post though.
I've been using an Alaska Leather sheepskin with an Airhawk 2 pillion underneath. I probably won't be needing them after the new seat comes in..... If you're interested??
Old 05-22-2012, 08:47 AM   #3449
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,007
Quote:

The stock KTM 690 seat is probably the best stock seat on the market. You just need to give it more time. Eventually your ass will break in.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:47 AM   #3450
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Quote:

Guts Racing or Seat Concepts have replacement foam & covers that are cheap and easy to install. If you don't have a good staple gun, you can usually get a local upholstery shop to put the new cover on for about $20.00
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote