Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2012, 04:30 AM   #3496
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman View Post
C'mon Bob, give us the details.

I'm gonna tell everyone that you ran out of gas till you straighten us out.
Yeah damm it !!! The old man keeps the juicy details for himself ... I'm on a stanby for a revealing horror story.

Paul Jr 8
Old 05-24-2012, 04:45 AM   #3497
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by andykeck View Post
Good trick. I chose not to do that as I was not sure what freezing temps would do to the rubber and plastic, or if those materials would contact enough to even make a difference. In the end, the grease did the trick.
Not sure what freezing temps do to rubber and plastic? Nothing, my bikes get ridden on the ice in -20 below zero and everything is just fine. Lot's of people live in cold climates. I've done this trick a million times and it works great.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:54 AM   #3498
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
So I finally broke down and bought my first Scott's steering stabilzer (used, from a friend) and am exploring my options for mounting it to my 690. Has anybody here ever used the ProRace Designs http://www.proracedesigns.com/product-submount.html mount? Is there any reason that it wouldn't fit the 690?
What about the tower and pin? Since the key is in the way, the pin mount is a bit more complex than the standard dirt bike version they make. Renazco had/has the Underground machine mount.

http://www.renazcoracing.com/index.c...&sortorder=ASC
Old 05-24-2012, 05:25 AM   #3499
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer: 1,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by andykeck View Post
Crap. Looks like I'm in for a new regulator.
I`d be surprised if it`s your problem . The regulator is after the injector & bleeds off pressure above 55 psi ( or whatever its supposed to be ) As your getting >50psi when primed , at least for a few seconds ,once you start cranking the motor it will be back up to 50 psi .
If you wanted to test it , you can buy aftermarket car ones from most auto stores which are small & cheap & can be mounted externally .
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:42 AM   #3500
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer: 1,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Not sure what freezing temps do to rubber and plastic? Nothing, my bikes get ridden on the ice in -20 below zero and everything is just fine. Lot's of people live in cold climates. I've done this trick a million times and it works great.
- 20 , bloody hell , you`d put em in the freezer to warm them up .
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:54 AM   #3501
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
Me too.

You guys got me thinking...... My 690 overheated on my last ride of the year last year and I haven't had a chance to look into it. I am obviously hoping it is the fan or the temp switch in the radiator but with all this coolant talk I'm scared.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck View Post
Yeah damm it !!! The old man keeps the juicy details for himself ... I'm on a stanby for a revealing horror story.

Paul Jr 8
you guys will hav eto wait till it coomes up in this story: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=791319
and all will learn what a dumshit I am
i will say this it was more than one problem at once ......again

remember basics kids.....air fuel spark
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:33 AM   #3502
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
you guys will hav eto wait till it coomes up in this story: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=791319
and all will learn what a dumshit I am
i will say this it was more than one problem at once ......again

remember basics kids.....air fuel spark
Subscribed.

Good reading so far but I just knew there couldn't be a Ged thread without that busted ankle photo...
Old 05-24-2012, 08:11 AM   #3503
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute View Post
- 20 , bloody hell , you`d put em in the freezer to warm them up .
Trail riding in March.....

Old 05-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #3504
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 869
Quote:
Trail riding in March.....

YOU sir are NUCKIN FUTZ
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:17 AM   #3505
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman View Post
Subscribed.

Good reading so far but I just knew there couldn't be a Ged thread without that busted ankle photo...

Barman,

Don't tempt me.....here is a less disturbing indication of the effects of deep silt....but that was last year....

Bob is referring to our recent Grand Canyon Loop....
Read all about it....http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=791319

Bob,

Fuel, air, spark....thanks for the hint....you had a bit of each of those in all three trouble situations....But I like it that the RR will lead the timing of this disclosure....so that might be a week or two away....

You have been invited today on the RR to start to dribble out your moto-diagnostics...

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:51 AM   #3506
NovaMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
Did you read the above posts?
Hah! I missed them, I was just skimming the thread using tap-atalk on my mobile. I guess I'm not alone!
NovaMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #3507
NovaMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Coolant in the crankcase..

I didn't know the coolant had dropped into my crankcase until 15-20m later. I wasn't riding hard as I noticed the temp was up. Once I stopped I saw why!

Should I worry about bearing damage? I don't expect the shop to really do any kind of thorough inspection unless there's a blatantly obvious symptom..
NovaMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:27 AM   #3508
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
Barman,

Don't tempt me.....here is a less disturbing indication of the effects of deep silt....but that was last year....

Bob is referring to our recent Grand Canyon Loop....
Read all about it....http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=791319
That's what I was referring to. Great report so far and didn't even get past the first post without appreciating those ankle stitches again.
Looking forward to Bobz diagnosis.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #3509
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 728
Quote:
What about the tower and pin? Since the key is in the way, the pin mount is a bit more complex than the standard dirt bike version they make. Renazco had/has the Underground machine mount.

http://www.renazcoracing.com/index.c...&sortorder=ASC

I realize that I can't use a basic tower/pin but they are available separately through RallyRaid and I'm sure a few others. The RallyRaid mount is actually my first choice because it looks much more solid than most setups being one piece instead of having to stack barmounts on top of the stabilizer mount. I've seen the Renazco mount as well and it is my second choice (would have been first if it weren't for the brick-like aesthetics.) The appeal of the PRD mount (even though I will have to stack mounts) is that I can still run my barmounts all the way forward (I have a 6' 10 1/2" arm span) and obviously the price is very reasonable. I know that many here will tell me to buy RBott's mount and be done with it, but I'll come right out and say it... I think it is ugly (and is still a stacked setup, though that still doesn't rule it out.)

Back to fitting the PRD mount, is the barmount spacing the same center to center/ left to right on the EXC's as it is on the 690? If so, it should fit.
The Letter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:05 PM   #3510
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
I realize that I can't use a basic tower/pin but they are available separately through RallyRaid and I'm sure a few others. The RallyRaid mount is actually my first choice because it looks much more solid than most setups being one piece instead of having to stack barmounts on top of the stabilizer mount. I've seen the Renazco mount as well and it is my second choice (would have been first if it weren't for the brick-like aesthetics.) The appeal of the PRD mount (even though I will have to stack mounts) is that I can still run my barmounts all the way forward (I have a 6' 10 1/2" arm span) and obviously the price is very reasonable. I know that many here will tell me to buy RBott's mount and be done with it, but I'll come right out and say it... I think it is ugly (and is still a stacked setup, though that still doesn't rule it out.)

Back to fitting the PRD mount, is the barmount spacing the same center to center/ left to right on the EXC's as it is on the 690? If so, it should fit.
I agree, I don't care for the Rbott mount either and I do prefer the RR mount, its sexy. I just saw the Renazco unit and I like it but I was always a LEGO fan as a kid I hate the color Orange, so the PRD mount is fugly to me. In a way it's sad that we care what it looks like but that is reality

My ignitin switch hit the trash last night, so I need to figure out a new tower set up. might need to fire up the welder and make my own.