Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #3496
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaMoto View Post
I didn't know the coolant had dropped into my crankcase until 15-20m later. I wasn't riding hard as I noticed the temp was up. Once I stopped I saw why!

Should I worry about bearing damage? I don't expect the shop to really do any kind of thorough inspection unless there's a blatantly obvious symptom..

You are probably ok. I would drain the coolant and drain the oil. Start by changing out your thermostat and putting in new water pump seals. Put your fluids back in and run the bike. The oil is pretty tuff stuff even if it were diluted with coolant it still lubricates to some degree. If you had ridden 100 miles with it in there it would not be good. If it runs, rides, and cools fine after replacing the seals you are probably ok. If the bearings are bad its a full tear down...so start with the easy stuff.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #3497
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

I have the meca riser and a HDB top clamp. This setup has worked well for me and is a clean design. The meca riser was pricey but I didn't have much time to wait when I got it and it has worked well:

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Old 05-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #3498
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
you guys will hav eto wait till it coomes up in this story: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=791319
and all will learn what a dumshit I am
Worry not ...

I'm perpetualy enjoying dumshit's stories and constantly looking forward for it, when I'm not busy generating my own ...

Paul Jr 8
Old 05-24-2012, 08:51 PM   #3499
Maxacceleration
Awol

Oddometer: 2,255
FMF Q4 Ti Fitment

Hello all
Installing my FMF Q4 tonight on my '12 690R and I've run into a fitment issue.
FMF supplies a 'mid pipe' to fit inbetween the stock head pipe and the Q4 slip-on.
The slip-on is too long apparently on installation as my pic shows. There is a little wiggle room with the muffler but not enough for bolts to line up when fastening the muffler.
Now the real problem. Flipped either way the 'mid pipe' does not fit in the muffler nor does it fit on (around) the muffler. It is the same diameter!
WTF!!??

Are '12 exhausts different from other years? Or more probably the wrong muffler sent out? Does FMF mis-ship?
FMF or KTM Twins does not show any different slip-on #'s for different model years, although FMF only shows to model year '11 for fitment.
I wanted the older style muffler, not the Apex (which looks streetbike gay jmho).
This muffler one the box says for '08-'10... Hmmm
Ah jeez
Anyone else have an issue here?
TIA
BTW I bought through my local dealer, which I have to haul this crap back to.

Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #3500
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post
Hello all
FMF supplies a 'mid pipe' to fit inbetween the stock head pipe and the Q4 slip-on.
The slip-on is too long apparently on installation as my pic shows. There is a little wiggle room with the muffler but not enough for bolts to line up when fastening the muffler.
Now the real problem. Flipped either way the 'mid pipe' does not fit in the muffler nor does it fit on (around) the muffler. It is the same diameter!
WTF!!??

Are '12 exhausts different from other years? Or more probably the wrong muffler sent out? Does FMF mis-ship?
FMF or KTM Twins does not show any different slip-on #'s for different model years, although FMF only shows to model year '11 for fitment.
I wanted the older style muffler, not the Apex (which looks streetbike gay jmho).
Ah jeez
TIA
i have a 2012. no fitment issues.
dont install the shiny ring on the midpipe. i see in your pic that you have it on the right.
use gasket sealer and be sure the band clamp is flush with the pipe before tightening.
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:01 PM   #3501
Maxacceleration
Awol

Oddometer: 2,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorinoakenshield View Post
i have a 2012. no fitment issues.
dont install the shiny ring on the midpipe. i see in your pic that you have it on the right.
use gasket sealer and be sure the band clamp is flush with the pipe before tightening.
Okay!
I didn't think the shiny ring came off or at least by hand. I didn't want to mar up the mid pipe if it really doesn't fit.
So the FMF clamp at the front of the mid pipe? The muffler has the spring fittings so I don't see any clamping area.
Hmmm, ok I'm not getting the unclear instructions I guess.
I'll work on pulling it, thank you.

Got a picture all mounted up? I see how it should go together - its just not fitting.

Maxacceleration screwed with this post 05-24-2012 at 10:09 PM
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:14 AM   #3502
NovaMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
You are probably ok. I would drain the coolant and drain the oil. Start by changing out your thermostat and putting in new water pump seals. Put your fluids back in and run the bike. The oil is pretty tuff stuff even if it were diluted with coolant it still lubricates to some degree. If you had ridden 100 miles with it in there it would not be good. If it runs, rides, and cools fine after replacing the seals you are probably ok. If the bearings are bad its a full tear down...so start with the easy stuff.
My bike has been at the dealer for a ~week with the coolant/oil still sitting in the crankcase. They won't get around to looking at it until next week. I can't imagine that coolant is doing those engine bearings any good :(
NovaMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:22 AM   #3503
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
So I finally broke down and bought my first Scott's steering stabilzer (used, from a friend) and am exploring my options for mounting it to my 690. Has anybody here ever used the ProRace Designs http://www.proracedesigns.com/product-submount.html mount? Is there any reason that it wouldn't fit the 690?
Don't think it will fit, the 690 has different offset triples (22-24mm) than the EXC and SX bikes (20mm). This would misalign the damper arm axis from the steering stem axis too much to work.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:30 AM   #3504
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Quote:
My bike has been at the dealer for a ~week with the coolant/oil still sitting in the crankcase. They won't get around to looking at it until next week. I can't imagine that coolant is doing those engine bearings any good :(
It is mixed in with the oil so its not straight up coolant. Based on the level of the slurry inside the engine it may not be sitting directly at bearing level. Do you work on your own bike at all....or is it in warantee?
?

Old 05-25-2012, 06:39 AM   #3505
NovaMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
It is mixed in with the oil so its not straight up coolant. Based on the level of the slurry inside the engine it may not be sitting directly at bearing level. Do you work on your own bike at all....or is it in warantee?
?
I've always done my own work from top-down rebuilds. This bike is ~3mos old so warranty service should be taking care of it. I just don't get the warm fuzzy feeling that this dealer gives a shit.

I'm half tempted to go get my bike, drain/flush and bring it back to them when they can look into it further.
NovaMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:59 AM   #3506
Kirkster
Parts Murderer

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Okay!
I didn't think the shiny ring came off or at least by hand. I didn't want to mar up the mid pipe if it really doesn't fit.
So the FMF clamp at the front of the mid pipe? The muffler has the spring fittings so I don't see any clamping area.
Hmmm, ok I'm not getting the unclear instructions I guess.
I'll work on pulling it, thank you.

Got a picture all mounted up? I see how it should go together - its just not fitting.
There is a stainless Steele ring inside the FMF header that needs to be slid out. If you don't slide that out it will not slip onto the bike...

K
07 WR 450F
Kirkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:03 AM   #3507
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,878
Quote:
Hello all
WTF!!??

Ah jeez
TIA

I don't know if the 2012 is different in that respect from previous years, but I don't remember any springs or mid pipe on the Q4 when I installed it a couple of months ago...
BK.RD.RNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:31 AM   #3508
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Obviously not an ideal environment but there are corrosion inhibitors in coolant.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:58 AM   #3509
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Quote:
I've always done my own work from top-down rebuilds. This bike is ~3mos old so warranty service should be taking care of it. I just don't get the warm fuzzy feeling that this dealer gives a shit.

I'm half tempted to go get my bike, drain/flush and bring it back to them when they can look into it further.

Most KTM dealers started life as dirtbike shops. When the big bike line up came along I think a lot of those shops were forced to take on some percentage of big bikes. The result is that there are a lot of shops that have little or no experience with servicing the bigger bikes. The 690 falls into the bigger bike category and throws many techs for a loop if they have never worked on EFI.

Your problem sounds like waterpump seal failure....your shop may be expecting a failed engine and putting it off...who knows.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:10 AM   #3510
Kirkster
Parts Murderer

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
I don't know if the 2012 is different in that respect from previous years, but I don't remember any springs or mid pipe on the Q4 when I installed it a couple of months ago...
Mine has the springs on the mid pipe that keeps the Q4 tightly attached to the mid pipe.

K
07 WR 450F
Kirkster is offline   Reply With Quote