Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2012, 10:13 AM   #3526
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkster View Post
Mine has the springs on the mid pipe that keeps the Q4 tightly attached to the mid pipe.

K
Does it mirror the stock setup?
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:14 AM   #3527
NovaMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Thanks for the tips. I too am convinced, based on symptoms, the seal failed as well.

I'm pretty sure they're unfamiliar with the machine. When he asked how many hours/mileage I noted the ~4000km it has. He said I should consider a top-end rebuild as these bikes can use a new piston/rings/lapping at ~50 hours. I kid you not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
Most KTM dealers started life as dirtbike shops. When the big bike line up came along I think a lot of those shops were forced to take on some percentage of big bikes. The result is that there are a lot of shops that have little or no experience with servicing the bigger bikes. The 690 falls into the bigger bike category and throws many techs for a loop if they have never worked on EFI.

Your problem sounds like waterpump seal failure....your shop may be expecting a failed engine and putting it off...who knows.
NovaMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:53 AM   #3528
Kirkster
Parts Murderer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
Does it mirror the stock setup?
Sure does. Even has the stock heat shield bolt onto it.

Sounds like you got robbed... No springs. I would complain. Maybe on an Internet forum...
07 WR 450F
Kirkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #3529
Pundy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Does anyone know if there's a post or two already about how to install the Rally Raid foam air filter? If not, can somebody who's done it give me a brief description?
Pundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #3530
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaMoto View Post
Thanks for the tips. I too am convinced, based on symptoms, the seal failed as well.

I'm pretty sure they're unfamiliar with the machine. When he asked how many hours/mileage I noted the ~4000km it has. He said I should consider a top-end rebuild as these bikes can use a new piston/rings/lapping at ~50 hours. I kid you not!
Tell the shop that you will call KTM Canada and see if that is a standard recommendation for service at that interval....if that doesn't wake the FF up, find another KTM shop....

One loudmouth ex-mxer local wannabe guy who keeps getting fired from bike and car dealerships in my town told me the 690 would have to be rebuilt after a 800 km hiway trip ....and got into some semi-tech rant about piston skirts....

Some guys are just like that

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:23 PM   #3531
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkster View Post
Sure does. Even has the stock heat shield bolt onto it.

Sounds like you got robbed... No springs. I would complain. Maybe on an Internet forum...

Mine did not have any springs on the OEM exhaust... Sounds like you got the wrong part, unless they changed the design.
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:31 PM   #3532
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 3,968
Quote:

You might tell them that my bike has over 8000 miles of racing, rally, and aggressive trail riding on it with no need for top end work...you might also point to the 3000 mile oil change intervals. I think your shop is used to working on the racing 2 stroke bikes.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Husaberg tank for sale: HERE
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:54 PM   #3533
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,032
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
You might tell them that my bike has over 8000 miles of racing, rally, and aggressive trail riding on it with no need for top end work...you might also point to the 3000 mile oil change intervals. I think your shop is used to working on the racing 2 stroke bikes.
That's some tough math there... every 4,000km change the top end and then when it hits 3,000 miles you change the oil. Though it's not exact, it'd probably be close enough to combine your 6th top-end rebuild along with your 5th oil change when you hit 15,000 miles. Of course its really important on the earlier top end jobs to not contaminate the oil as you've still got 600 useable miles.
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #3534
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Quote:
I've always done my own work from top-down rebuilds. This bike is ~3mos old so warranty service should be taking care of it. I just don't get the warm fuzzy feeling that this dealer gives a shit.

I'm half tempted to go get my bike, drain/flush and bring it back to them when they can look into it further.
From my understanding (and massive amounts of experience with dealers all over the world ) they only get paid about 1/3 as much for doing warranty work as they do for regular work off the street yet they are required to do it, so yeah... there's a good chance they're not thrilled.

It's probably a bit deceptive but when I was far from home, a.) I tried to hide the fact I was far from home and b.) I pretended to be interested in another bike (used bikes even better) they had sitting on the floor. It seemed to help some.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:10 PM   #3535
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pundy View Post
Does anyone know if there's a post or two already about how to install the Rally Raid foam air filter? If not, can somebody who's done it give me a brief description?
The foam air filter comes with paper instructions. Did you get them? It's not hard.
I have a foam air filter for sale, btw.

thorinoakenshield screwed with this post 05-25-2012 at 04:17 PM
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:41 PM   #3536
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 450
Here are the part numbers for the 2012 oil filters:

58038005100 OIL FILTER LONG $10.11
75038046100 OIL FILTER SHORT $8.99 Backorder ETA:06-15-12

(Courtesy of ktm-parts.com)
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #3537
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
From my understanding (and massive amounts of experience with dealers all over the world ) they only get paid about 1/3 as much for doing warranty work as they do for regular work off the street yet they are required to do it, so yeah... there's a good chance they're not thrilled.

It's probably a bit deceptive but when I was far from home, a.) I tried to hide the fact I was far from home and b.) I pretended to be interested in another bike (used bikes even better) they had sitting on the floor. It seemed to help some.
I can only speak for the US, but the dealers make very good money off warranty work here. They get paid for a set number of hours for a particular job, and most competent mechanics can easily get the work done is less then the allotted time.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:14 PM   #3538
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
Mine did not have any springs on the OEM exhaust... Sounds like you got the wrong part, unless they changed the design.
Well I finaly got my Q4 on.
Yes the stainless ring needs to come off the mid pipe to slide in the muffler.
And yes my mid pipe also has the spring set-up.
RTV sealed, aligned and a nice fit! I musta been tired last night. lol
Pipe has plenty of clearance from plastic also. I idled it for 15 minutes for a computer reset, and I am having it mapped on tues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pundy View Post
I just put mine in - easy. Pull the snorkel, stock filter, RTV silicone the base where the RR mount plate sits (don't spare on RTV IMO), give it 24 hours for the RTV to set up then oil your filter and install...
Mucho more air allowed to come in IMO.
I think the oily filter will rub a bit on a couple of things, like the radiator tank
side plastic and maybe the underside of the seat...

Base siliconed in...

And a test fit before I oiled the filter...
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:25 AM   #3539
Night Crawler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Which radiator guard?

Is the Rally Raid worth double the price of the KTM unit? Do either guards keep the mount with the rubber bushing from bending over everytime you fall, or do they just protect the side of the radiator from being damaged?
Night Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:51 AM   #3540
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I can only speak for the US, but the dealers make very good money off warranty work here. They get paid for a set number of hours for a particular job, and most competent mechanics can easily get the work done is less then the allotted time.
What's that? Actually I was talking about US mechanics and you are exactly right - they get paid a set amount for certain tasks.
When I first got my 2008 690 there was a leak/crack in the gas tank in the moulding where it comes up to recieve the gas cap. I was at 3 brothers in Costa Mesa where I had bought it and asked the mechanics there why they drug feet so much on warranty work. He told me that to take the gas tank off took him 3 hours but for warranty work he only got paid 1 hour! And they had plenty of non warranty work sitting around.
Honestly I can't remember, but that 3 hour figure must've been both taking off and putting back on, but then again...