ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #3541
Kirkster
Parts Murderer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Peoples Republic of MD
Oddometer: 296
Oil Consumption???

What if any oil consumption are you all seeing???

I have .3L missing over 1400 miles...

And Yes I am warming the bike up and checking it after sitting for a minute while holding the bike strait up and down...

K
__________________
TAT 2013 the "I'm Just Sayin" tour
BMW 2007 R1200R
2012 KTM 690 R
07 WR 450F
Kirkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:45 PM   #3542
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick
 
BK.RD.RNR's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Livin' in the 90's
Oddometer: 5,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkster View Post
What if any oil consumption are you all seeing???

I have .3L missing over 1400 miles...

K
Seldom but occasionally. Never anything alarming. If your chain seems abnormally oily, a new oring on the countershaft will go a long way. Forget the green ones KTM puts on, mine did not last very long at all. I put a black one on with a slightly thicker diameter, quite some time ago, and have not had to worry since.
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:43 PM   #3543
RoninMoto
Wanderer
 
RoninMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: In the mountains?
Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkster View Post
What if any oil consumption are you all seeing???

I have .3L missing over 1400 miles...

And Yes I am warming the bike up and checking it after sitting for a minute while holding the bike strait up and down...

K
I have been adding the extra .3L after 2500 miles or so. I'm glad KTM made the oil change under 2L so we don't have to go buy more oil to replace what burns off.
__________________
Noah 08 KTM 690 ADV. 125,000 km. 42 countries. 5 continents and counting.
RTW Ride Report --> http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781893
Blog ------------------> http://rtwwithnoah.blogspot.com/
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:09 PM   #3544
Michelangelo
2 wheel rider...anytime..
 
Michelangelo's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Rocky Mountain West
Oddometer: 1,765
Need someone with a 690SMC

If you have a 2008 690SMC I really need your help; need you to check your service manual and tell me how many total click adjustments your rebound and compresssion have. Then what the recommended number of settings are.

The reason: I have a 2008 KTM 690E but the rear shock is horrific offroad. I think the previous owner may have swapped it for an SMC shock. So I want to compare what the factory number of adjustments are to be sure. It seems my rear shock has alot less clicks available than what my manual says it should have.
__________________
Dirt and offroad motorcycle tours...
ALL MOTO ADVENTURE,LLC.
www.AllMotoAdventure.com
Michelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:02 AM   #3545
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .
 
Brute's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Oddometer: 1,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelangelo View Post
If you have a 2008 690SMC I really need your help; need you to check your service manual and tell me how many total click adjustments your rebound and compresssion have. Then what the recommended number of settings are.

The reason: I have a 2008 KTM 690E but the rear shock is horrific offroad. I think the previous owner may have swapped it for an SMC shock. So I want to compare what the factory number of adjustments are to be sure. It seems my rear shock has alot less clicks available than what my manual says it should have.
Common for the adjusters to seize up on the 08 . My rebound adjuster was doing nothing in the end . The shock guru told me my needle had come away from the adjuster & it was stuck on full rebound .
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:41 AM   #3546
Pundy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: North of North New Portland
Oddometer: 339
Lower tank bushing replacement

I'm trying to replace my lower tank bushings with the delrin replacements from Partmaker. I got one out with no issues, the second is just spinning. Any advice on how to get it out without trashing my tank?
Pundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:40 AM   #3547
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there
 
thorinoakenshield's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: ☼
Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pundy View Post
I'm trying to replace my lower tank bushings with the delrin replacements from Partmaker. I got one out with no issues, the second is just spinning. Any advice on how to get it out without trashing my tank?
replacement bushings? is this yet another part we need?
do you have this with the lower tank kit from Rally Raid?
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:15 AM   #3548
Barman
Way Offline
 
Barman's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY
Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pundy View Post
I'm trying to replace my lower tank bushings with the delrin replacements from Partmaker. I got one out with no issues, the second is just spinning. Any advice on how to get it out without trashing my tank?
It's a solid through rod with screws in each end. Item 4 on the fiche. http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....=13&A=489&B=12
Horrible design. The rod just spins with the screws that are loctited. Upside is there are no inserts in the tank that can strip out though. An impact wrench helps. I messed around with mine for a half hour or so till I figured out how to keep the rod from spinning and crack the screws loose. The RR kit is a much better design.
__________________
I am at one with my duality.
Barman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:25 AM   #3549
Barman
Way Offline
 
Barman's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY
Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorinoakenshield View Post
replacement bushings? is this yet another part we need?
do you have this with the lower tank kit from Rally Raid?
Depends.

The Rally Raid mount kit compresses the stock bushings a bit more than the OEM hardware. I haven't had any problems with the bushings in mine since I installed the upper and lower RR mounts, just check the play on the tank occasionally.
__________________
I am at one with my duality.
Barman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:34 PM   #3550
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega
 
The Letter J's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Santa Maria, CA
Oddometer: 1,066
understeer problem

The factory specs for my 09 690 list 27* head angle and 115mm of trail, does anyone know if that measurement is with the bike sitting under its own weight, unloaded (wheels hanging while bike is on a stand), or with the rider aboard? Would that have been measured with the triple clamps set to 24mm offset (as delivered) or set at 22mm offset?

I'm trying to diagnose an understeer problem that has recently developed. I thought it was due to my new (0.8" taller) front tire being that it was the only change that I've made to the bike that could have an affect on handling, so I tried raising the forks in the clamps 0.4" to compensate with no luck.

My suspension is not stock (285mm travel rear with 100mm sag, 300mm front, forks were slid up 0.7" above top clamp, now at 1.1") and the bike has been handling great up until the tire change, but I'd still like to see how my current suspension compares to the factory rake/trail.
The Letter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:19 PM   #3551
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL
 
Night Falcon's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: New Zealand
Oddometer: 2,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pundy View Post
I'm trying to replace my lower tank bushings with the delrin replacements from Partmaker. I got one out with no issues, the second is just spinning. Any advice on how to get it out without trashing my tank?
I had same problem; try doing up the bolt you took out fairly tight then wd 40 and impact driver. worked for me
__________________
My EXC530 Adventure
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:14 AM   #3552
GezwindeSpoed
Gnarly Adventurer
 
GezwindeSpoed's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: The land of the Dutchmen
Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
The factory specs for my 09 690 list 27* head angle and 115mm of trail, does anyone know if that measurement is with the bike sitting under its own weight, unloaded (wheels hanging while bike is on a stand), or with the rider aboard? Would that have been measured with the triple clamps set to 24mm offset (as delivered) or set at 22mm offset?

I'm trying to diagnose an understeer problem that has recently developed. I thought it was due to my new (0.8" taller) front tire being that it was the only change that I've made to the bike that could have an affect on handling, so I tried raising the forks in the clamps 0.4" to compensate with no luck.

My suspension is not stock (285mm travel rear with 100mm sag, 300mm front, forks were slid up 0.7" above top clamp, now at 1.1") and the bike has been handling great up until the tire change, but I'd still like to see how my current suspension compares to the factory rake/trail.
It helps to increase the rebound damping on the front a bit. In this way it stays lower on the front in the initial part of the turn.
__________________
FE570; CB500X; KLE500
GezwindeSpoed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #3553
Pundy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: North of North New Portland
Oddometer: 339
Thanks for the advice on the lower tank bushings guys. I got it out.
Pundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #3554
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies
 
crankshaft's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Burlingtron,VT
Oddometer: 14,005
Did some dual spot riding all weekend through the hills of Vermont and the 690 ran like a champ. Had to pull over and put the feed hose back on the outlet of y pump at the side of the road but it only took a half hour or so. How are you guys attaching the Cycleworks pump at the outlet? I roughed up the nipple with sand paper and used a 360 degree clamps. I think the hose might be getting soft from the Ethanol. I'm going with the external pump soon, don't like the in tank cob job anymore.

On a side note, I ripped a wheelie on the paved road and ripped the valve stem out of the tube mid wheelie and got an instant flat Had to ride the 690 22 miles to where my van was but didn't make it....only one more mile to go
The MotoZ tire held up at speeds up to 54 MPH on the paved road and was marginally controlled



You can see the wire from the bead hanging out, or what is left of the bead. The rim is like new still
__________________
Just say'IN
crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #3555
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man
 
bobzilla's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Lost & Found again in the Great Basin
Oddometer: 929
i took a mini torch with a soldering tip on it and made a few grooves on the smooth nipple................hope it holds 55 psi
__________________
Ride the DEZ
05 FE 550 Husaberg plated
08 FE 650 Husaberg plated
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015