User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2012, 11:13 AM   #3541
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Sigutech clutch slave.
Anyone have one laying around that you want to unload?
PM me if you do.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #3542
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Pretty sad, I can do it in less then an hour and I'm NOT a mechanic.
The sad part is THE REASON you're so fast which is probably because you had to do it a lot!
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #3543
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
Yup. I read somewhere the proceedure KTM uses to establish the amount of time they will pay a dealer for warranty jobs...

First they get thier 3 best mechanics. Then they let the guys do the job 2 or 3 times. Then when they have every tool they need laid out in order, and have done the job multiple times that day, they make thier "timed run", and that is how they decide what they will pay a dealer for those jobs.

Listening to the VW techs in my shop, most car manufacturers do the same.
I had forgotten that, but yeah that's the same thing I heard. Bottom line I found is most dealerships treated me like gold when I brought my bike in for service UNTIL they found out it was going to be warranty work. All enthusiasm left at that point.
I do wish that one of those extended/+ warranty services that you can pay for included paying the local shop well enough that they would be glad for the work and not do it grudingly.
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:50 AM   #3544
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
The sad part is THE REASON you're so fast which is probably because you had to do it a lot!
True, but imagine how much more a dealer wrench has to do it.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:02 PM   #3545
blakrj
Need to ride

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
I had forgotten that, but yeah that's the same thing I heard. Bottom line I found is most dealerships treated me like gold when I brought my bike in for service UNTIL they found out it was going to be warranty work. All enthusiasm left at that point.
I do wish that one of those extended/+ warranty services that you can pay for included paying the local shop well enough that they would be glad for the work and not do it grudingly.
You guys seem to have real bums as dealers. The guy who services my bike (KTM Motocross dealer - owner, sales, service, rides and arranges rider days) has his service area pimped out with every KTM tool on a shadow board, and even charged me less labour hours than KTM specify in their service routine. Top guy and I've stopped doing most of my own service work. Why bother when he is so good. Bummer for y'alll is that he is in Holland.
www.airborneriders.com
blakrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #3546
Barman
Way Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakrj View Post
You guys seem to have real bums as dealers. The guy who services my bike (KTM Motocross dealer - owner, sales, service, rides and arranges rider days) has his service area pimped out with every KTM tool on a shadow board, and even charged me less labour hours than KTM specify in their service routine. Top guy and I've stopped doing most of my own service work. Why bother when he is so good. Bummer for y'alll is that he is in Holland.
My local KTM dealer sells snow plows. Kind of a one man operation. I wouldn't even consider bringing my 690 in for a FI issue. Just not a ton of support for KTM around here. I was shocked when I picked up my new bike last year and the dealership (200 miles away, not the local guy) was in a shed. I knew at that point my mechanical background, and this forum, would come in handy.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:45 PM   #3547
ohauitirod
Dream Rider

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman View Post
Sigutech clutch slave.
Anyone have one laying around that you want to unload?
PM me if you do.
I order mine direct from Sigutech , was in my hand in 10 days to New Zealand , cost 120 euro , found it easier to remove the header pipe for the install , has a great feel to it compared to the leaking ktm p...shit
ohauitirod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:25 PM   #3548
Barman
Way Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohauitirod View Post
I order mine direct from Sigutech , was in my hand in 10 days to New Zealand , cost 120 euro , found it easier to remove the header pipe for the install , has a great feel to it compared to the leaking ktm p...shit
I changed the fluid to a synthetic ATF yesterday. With only 5000 miles and I'm not much for using the clutch (different story) there was a heavy film of aluminum sludge that came floating to the top of the reservoir. I cleaned it out and it's a clear red like it should be and has a great feel but now I've got that bit nagging at me everytime I squeeze the lever.

I can get my hands on a new one easily enough, just figured maybe someone had one laying around they might want to recoup some money on.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #3549
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck View Post
Far better than epoxy: Cyanoacrylate in two parts like this: http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/4/2...ing-System.htm

Paul Jr
Can any of you guys who have used this stuff comment for me?

The layer of film coming out of the activator felt onto my test piece is so thin, you can barely tell it's there. Is that about right? It also did not seem to hold well.

How the heck do you tell when there is enough in the plastic hole for the intake snorkel, it seems to dry as soon as I try to apply it, if I'm actually applying any at all.

Thanks
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:12 PM   #3550
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
Can any of you guys who have used this stuff comment for me? The layer of film coming out of the activator felt onto my test piece is so thin, you can barely tell it's there. Is that about right? It also did not seem to hold well. How the heck do you tell when there is enough in the plastic hole for the intake snorkel, it seems to dry as soon as I try to apply it, if I'm actually applying any at all. Thanks
You can barely see the film of activator indeed. Like I said apply generously. If you press on the "felt" (is that the way its called ?) at he the end of the tip of the activator "pen" it should retract inside the tube a little bit. If you touch it with your finger, you should feel it slightly humide.

You cannot exagerate the amount of activator. So apply it as long as some "paranoia" or "anxiety" or "whatever else" is present in your mind.

It dries very rapidly, but it's ok. Be sure to press the bronze insert RAPIDLY inside the plastic hole. You can try this activator and glue onto other scrap pieces of plastic. Apply the activator on one, and the glue on the other one, and press them together. Just to practice before. Again, chances are you will not get another chance with your bronze insert. The activator is the most important thing. Without it, the glue will loose around 80% of its strength.

There are other types of two parts. Like "Wurth". The activator is prayed instead. More intuitive, better product, and higher prices.

good luck

Paul Jr
Old 05-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #3551
Kirkster
Parts Murderer

Oddometer: 296
Oil Consumption???

What if any oil consumption are you all seeing???

I have .3L missing over 1400 miles...

And Yes I am warming the bike up and checking it after sitting for a minute while holding the bike strait up and down...

K
07 WR 450F
Kirkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:45 PM   #3552
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkster View Post

K
Seldom but occasionally. Never anything alarming. If your chain seems abnormally oily, a new oring on the countershaft will go a long way. Forget the green ones KTM puts on, mine did not last very long at all. I put a black one on with a slightly thicker diameter, quite some time ago, and have not had to worry since.
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:43 PM   #3553
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkster View Post

And Yes I am warming the bike up and checking it after sitting for a minute while holding the bike strait up and down...

K
I have been adding the extra .3L after 2500 miles or so. I'm glad KTM made the oil change under 2L so we don't have to go buy more oil to replace what burns off.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:09 PM   #3554
Michelangelo
2 wheel rider...anytime..

Oddometer: 1,702
Need someone with a 690SMC

If you have a 2008 690SMC I really need your help; need you to check your service manual and tell me how many total click adjustments your rebound and compresssion have. Then what the recommended number of settings are.

The reason: I have a 2008 KTM 690E but the rear shock is horrific offroad. I think the previous owner may have swapped it for an SMC shock. So I want to compare what the factory number of adjustments are to be sure. It seems my rear shock has alot less clicks available than what my manual says it should have.
Michelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:02 AM   #3555
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelangelo View Post
If you have a 2008 690SMC I really need your help; need you to check your service manual and tell me how many total click adjustments your rebound and compresssion have. Then what the recommended number of settings are.

The reason: I have a 2008 KTM 690E but the rear shock is horrific offroad. I think the previous owner may have swapped it for an SMC shock. So I want to compare what the factory number of adjustments are to be sure. It seems my rear shock has alot less clicks available than what my manual says it should have.
Common for the adjusters to seize up on the 08 . My rebound adjuster was doing nothing in the end . The shock guru told me my needle had come away from the adjuster & it was stuck on full rebound .
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote