Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2012, 07:54 AM   #3541
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I can only speak for the US, but the dealers make very good money off warranty work here. They get paid for a set number of hours for a particular job, and most competent mechanics can easily get the work done is less then the allotted time.

That is the first time I have EVER heard anyone state this, and I work in an auto dealership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljockey View Post
None of us are exceptionally skilled riders (excepting when I'm drunk, then I'm fcking quick).
BK.RD.RNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:58 AM   #3542
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
What's that? Actually I was talking about US mechanics and you are exactly right - they get paid a set amount for certain tasks.
When I first got my 2008 690 there was a leak/crack in the gas tank in the moulding where it comes up to recieve the gas cap. I was at 3 brothers in Costa Mesa where I had bought it and asked the mechanics there why they drug feet so much on warranty work. He told me that to take the gas tank off took him 3 hours but for warranty work he only got paid 1 hour! And they had plenty of non warranty work sitting around.
Honestly I can't remember, but that 3 hour figure must've been both taking off and putting back on, but then again...

Yup. I read somewhere the proceedure KTM uses to establish the amount of time they will pay a dealer for warranty jobs...

First they get thier 3 best mechanics. Then they let the guys do the job 2 or 3 times. Then when they have every tool they need laid out in order, and have done the job multiple times that day, they make thier "timed run", and that is how they decide what they will pay a dealer for those jobs.

Listening to the VW techs in my shop, most car manufacturers do the same.

Quote:
None of us are exceptionally skilled riders (excepting when I'm drunk, then I'm fcking quick).
Old 05-26-2012, 09:00 AM   #3543
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post

That is the first time I have EVER heard anyone state this, and I work in an auto dealership.
Funny, my old roommate who worked in 3 different Ford dealerships, would get paid for as much as 70 hours for a 40 hour work week most of the hours were warranty work. Once again, competence plays a big part in that.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #3544
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
What's that? Actually I was talking about US mechanics and you are exactly right - they get paid a set amount for certain tasks.
When I first got my 2008 690 there was a leak/crack in the gas tank in the moulding where it comes up to recieve the gas cap. I was at 3 brothers in Costa Mesa where I had bought it and asked the mechanics there why they drug feet so much on warranty work. He told me that to take the gas tank off took him 3 hours but for warranty work he only got paid 1 hour! And they had plenty of non warranty work sitting around.
Honestly I can't remember, but that 3 hour figure must've been both taking off and putting back on, but then again...
Pretty sad, I can do it in less then an hour and I'm NOT a mechanic.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #3545
SnapCracklePop
Re-Noobified

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post
Well I finaly got my Q4 on.
Yes the stainless ring needs to come off the mid pipe to slide in the muffler.
And yes my mid pipe also has the spring set-up.
RTV sealed, aligned and a nice fit! I musta been tired last night. lol
Pipe has plenty of clearance from plastic also. I idled it for 15 minutes for a computer reset, and I am having it mapped on tues.

It seems they (FMF) have 2 different mufflers... 1 with a mid-pipe and springs , and a 1-piece with just a clamp , like mine.

'08 KTM 690 Enduro
SnapCracklePop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:13 AM   #3546
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Sigutech clutch slave.
Anyone have one laying around that you want to unload?
PM me if you do.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #3547
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Pretty sad, I can do it in less then an hour and I'm NOT a mechanic.
The sad part is THE REASON you're so fast which is probably because you had to do it a lot!
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #3548
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Yup. I read somewhere the proceedure KTM uses to establish the amount of time they will pay a dealer for warranty jobs...

First they get thier 3 best mechanics. Then they let the guys do the job 2 or 3 times. Then when they have every tool they need laid out in order, and have done the job multiple times that day, they make thier "timed run", and that is how they decide what they will pay a dealer for those jobs.

Listening to the VW techs in my shop, most car manufacturers do the same.
I had forgotten that, but yeah that's the same thing I heard. Bottom line I found is most dealerships treated me like gold when I brought my bike in for service UNTIL they found out it was going to be warranty work. All enthusiasm left at that point.
I do wish that one of those extended/+ warranty services that you can pay for included paying the local shop well enough that they would be glad for the work and not do it grudingly.
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:50 AM   #3549
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
The sad part is THE REASON you're so fast which is probably because you had to do it a lot!
True, but imagine how much more a dealer wrench has to do it.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:02 PM   #3550
blakrj
Need to ride

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
I had forgotten that, but yeah that's the same thing I heard. Bottom line I found is most dealerships treated me like gold when I brought my bike in for service UNTIL they found out it was going to be warranty work. All enthusiasm left at that point.
I do wish that one of those extended/+ warranty services that you can pay for included paying the local shop well enough that they would be glad for the work and not do it grudingly.
You guys seem to have real bums as dealers. The guy who services my bike (KTM Motocross dealer - owner, sales, service, rides and arranges rider days) has his service area pimped out with every KTM tool on a shadow board, and even charged me less labour hours than KTM specify in their service routine. Top guy and I've stopped doing most of my own service work. Why bother when he is so good. Bummer for y'alll is that he is in Holland.
www.airborneriders.com
blakrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #3551
Barman
Way Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakrj View Post
You guys seem to have real bums as dealers. The guy who services my bike (KTM Motocross dealer - owner, sales, service, rides and arranges rider days) has his service area pimped out with every KTM tool on a shadow board, and even charged me less labour hours than KTM specify in their service routine. Top guy and I've stopped doing most of my own service work. Why bother when he is so good. Bummer for y'alll is that he is in Holland.
My local KTM dealer sells snow plows. Kind of a one man operation. I wouldn't even consider bringing my 690 in for a FI issue. Just not a ton of support for KTM around here. I was shocked when I picked up my new bike last year and the dealership (200 miles away, not the local guy) was in a shed. I knew at that point my mechanical background, and this forum, would come in handy.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:45 PM   #3552
ohauitirod
Dream Rider

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman View Post
Sigutech clutch slave.
Anyone have one laying around that you want to unload?
PM me if you do.
I order mine direct from Sigutech , was in my hand in 10 days to New Zealand , cost 120 euro , found it easier to remove the header pipe for the install , has a great feel to it compared to the leaking ktm p...shit
ohauitirod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:25 PM   #3553
Barman
Way Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohauitirod View Post
I order mine direct from Sigutech , was in my hand in 10 days to New Zealand , cost 120 euro , found it easier to remove the header pipe for the install , has a great feel to it compared to the leaking ktm p...shit
I changed the fluid to a synthetic ATF yesterday. With only 5000 miles and I'm not much for using the clutch (different story) there was a heavy film of aluminum sludge that came floating to the top of the reservoir. I cleaned it out and it's a clear red like it should be and has a great feel but now I've got that bit nagging at me everytime I squeeze the lever.

I can get my hands on a new one easily enough, just figured maybe someone had one laying around they might want to recoup some money on.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #3554
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck View Post
Far better than epoxy: Cyanoacrylate in two parts like this: http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/4/2...ing-System.htm

Paul Jr
Can any of you guys who have used this stuff comment for me?

The layer of film coming out of the activator felt onto my test piece is so thin, you can barely tell it's there. Is that about right? It also did not seem to hold well.

How the heck do you tell when there is enough in the plastic hole for the intake snorkel, it seems to dry as soon as I try to apply it, if I'm actually applying any at all.

Thanks

Quote:
Old 05-26-2012, 06:12 PM   #3555
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Can any of you guys who have used this stuff comment for me? The layer of film coming out of the activator felt onto my test piece is so thin, you can barely tell it's there. Is that about right? It also did not seem to hold well. How the heck do you tell when there is enough in the plastic hole for the intake snorkel, it seems to dry as soon as I try to apply it, if I'm actually applying any at all. Thanks
You can barely see the film of activator indeed. Like I said apply generously. If you press on the "felt" (is that the way its called ?) at he the end of the tip of the activator "pen" it should retract inside the tube a little bit. If you touch it with your finger, you should feel it slightly humide.

You cannot exagerate the amount of activator. So apply it as long as some "paranoia" or "anxiety" or "whatever else" is present in your mind.

It dries very rapidly, but it's ok. Be sure to press the bronze insert RAPIDLY inside the plastic hole. You can try this activator and glue onto other scrap pieces of plastic. Apply the activator on one, and the glue on the other one, and press them together. Just to practice before. Again, chances are you will not get another chance with your bronze insert. The activator is the most important thing. Without it, the glue will loose around 80% of its strength.

There are other types of two parts. Like "Wurth". The activator is prayed instead. More intuitive, better product, and higher prices.

good luck

Paul Jr