Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #3616
Evil Invader
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
I moved away from the quad pump and the 2 stage pump scenario. The intank pumps stock to the bike are just too sensitive to dirty fuel and too much of a pain to get at if you have a problem...especially problematic if out in the middle of nowhere on a trip with no way to store drained fuel. The external pump draws a fair amount of power but not crippling and will be considerably bigger than the cycleworks or stock pump...however these things are known for extreme durability and are able to power through some nasty fuel. will need to make some tank plates with bulkhead fittings and will run a different pressure regulator.
What kind of regulator?
Seems there is no return inlet to the pump. Will you make one to the tank, or just a "T" connection on the fuelhose?

M Motoadventures
Evil Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #3617
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 3,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Invader View Post
What kind of regulator?
Seems there is no return inlet to the pump. Will you make one to the tank, or just a "T" connection on the fuelhose?

The bottom plate on the tank will have a fitting with a feed line to the pump. The pump outlet will route through a pressure regulator and then on to the injector. The return line will return to a new upper plate that has a bulkhead type of fitting. There is no need to dump fuel back to an external mounted pump as it cools from within.

the bonus is we can put almost any sort of pickup filter in the bottom of the tank...an inline clear plastic filter can be put in before the pump and a metal filter on the high pressure side.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:17 PM   #3618
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Invader View Post
What kind of regulator?

I found a machined housing that accepts these.....

a Bosch Fuel press reg, available at most any arts store and stupid cheap. Can be mounted externally and even has a port for a pressure gauge. All the fuel system components would be easily replaced on the trail if need be.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:28 PM   #3619
Evil Invader
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Cool!

M Motoadventures
Evil Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #3620
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute View Post
Just wondering what gas mileage would be with the Vortex set at the standard 690 map . I`ve also got a Vortex & have noticed a drop in economy . Got a 3000 km trip coming up & fuel range is critical . After using the Vortex I just don`t wanna swap back to standard . It would be great if you new you needed extra range in some sections , just turn the Vortex to the standard map . Hope I get time to give this a try soon .
I used the standard map on the Vortex after one of the power maps I used first had me around 38 mpg.Not good. When I set it on the standard map I got 39 mpg. WTF. I left the O2 lo,mid,hi set in the neutral position 5. Then I figured if the mileage is going to suck why not use a power map so I set it to map 1. Nice power but still way too rich. Then I messed with the O2 settings and brought them all down to 3. Still has great power and just got home from a loooooong ride and got 45+ mpg. On my best day stock ecu I got 48+. I found the happy medium I think, runs great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Hey Barman, can you post your Vortex cheat sheet?
I can't find mine and would like to see what map I'm in.

Thx
I'll dig it out tomorrow and post it up for you. It might be different though, the last update was spring 2012 I believe and they tweaked a few things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
The best stock I had with the stock map and stock exhuast was 55 mpg. Not sure what I am doing now that I have a fully tweaked map on the stock efi computer.
I never ran the stock exhaust long enough to get a base reading. FMF Q4 installed with stock map I never got quite to 50 mpg.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:23 PM   #3621
Ryman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 740
11000 miles

I got 11000 miles on the original fuel pump. I figured I had pushed my luck far enough and broke down for some maintenance. New OEM fuel pump assembly that I got for cheap. Inline purolator filter. Threw a hand full of injectors in the wife's jewelry cleaner. Bike idles and runs like new. Bring on another 11k!

Utards in Baja
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674444
Ryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:50 AM   #3622
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman View Post
I used the standard map on the Vortex after one of the power maps I used first had me around 38 mpg.Not good. When I set it on the standard map I got 39 mpg. WTF. I left the O2 lo,mid,hi set in the neutral position 5. Then I figured if the mileage is going to suck why not use a power map so I set it to map 1. Nice power but still way too rich. Then I messed with the O2 settings and brought them all down to 3. Still has great power and just got home from a loooooong ride and got 45+ mpg. On my best day stock ecu I got 48+. I found the happy medium I think, runs great.

I'll dig it out tomorrow and post it up for you. It might be different though, the last update was spring 2012 I believe and they tweaked a few things.

I never ran the stock exhaust long enough to get a base reading. FMF Q4 installed with stock map I never got quite to 50 mpg.
Thanks Barman , I`m about to go & turn all mine down to 3 .
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:12 AM   #3623
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post
Is there any reason to be on the off road map with a slip-on and a air filter?

I put on the Rally Raid filter set-up and the FMF Q4 Ti and my bike ran tits on the stock map.
My dealer put in the 'off road' map (on my '12) and the bike would not stay running at the dealer and pops on decel now...
...I was hoping for better than tits. Now its sloppy saggy tits.
My FMF pipe came with literature stating that there is no need to change maps with their slip-on.
akra map not meant for hi flow filter and is lean anyway so tune ecu and richen the bottom and advance ign or better yet vortex for its plug and play
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:47 AM   #3624
Noyah
poser

Oddometer: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock View Post
akra map not meant for hi flow filter and is lean anyway so tune ecu and richen the bottom and advance ign or better yet vortex for its plug and play
How about evo1 map

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

--> My Movies <--
Noyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:53 AM   #3625
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
Have you tried turning it up to 11
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:24 AM   #3626
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
On the Vortex instructions that came with the ECU, 3 is the lowest setting they recommend without a pro tune. I'm still trying to justify the $$ to put a single cylinder enduro on the dyno for a proper tune.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:49 AM   #3627
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,553
I am curious about all the tuning people are trying to do. When Uller helped me service my bike, he was showing me all these things we can do to tune the FI. I opted not to because it runs good for me. I have the stock map with a Uni filter and FMF Q4. My lowest MPG was 45 in LA traffic. My highest was 57. I normally get 50 mpg. Loaded.

So hearing people talk about 40 mpg makes me cringe. There seems to be more then enough power.. no?
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:57 AM   #3628
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 693
I've had full tanks net 28mpg on several occasions in 1st/2nd gear trails. 38mpg is pretty standard for me riding dual sport (50% dirt, 50% road.) If I actually ride like a law obiding citizen and stay on the highway, 46mpg is it. How and where you ride makes a huge impact on economy.
The Letter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:02 AM   #3629
Hosebag
Difficult but Useful

Oddometer: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hosebag View Post
It may be part of the SAS wiring, as I removed it and did the canisterectomy, but looking at the parts I removed I don't see it. I'll look again.

It's a '10 and the reason it's so clean is that it had an end to end service this winter after two weeks in Baja and a week in Colorado..
Thanks to all who chimed in, Barman was right, it was the lambda sensor. Doh!
Old 05-31-2012, 11:36 AM   #3630
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
I am curious about all the tuning people are trying to do. When Uller helped me service my bike, he was showing me all these things we can do to tune the FI. I opted not to because it runs good for me. I have the stock map with a Uni filter and FMF Q4. My lowest MPG was 45 in LA traffic. My highest was 57. I normally get 50 mpg. Loaded.

So hearing people talk about 40 mpg makes me cringe. There seems to be more then enough power.. no?
it's a tradeoff - getting 57 mpg is nice but you dont get the same power and torks without adding fuel to go along with the extra air. I could live with less power but i hate how a lean bike feels and how hot it gets.
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote