Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2012, 12:30 PM   #3616
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock View Post
it's a tradeoff - getting 57 mpg is nice but you dont get the same power and torks without adding fuel to go along with the extra air. I could live with less power but i hate how a lean bike feels and how hot it gets.
so how does a lean bike feel...exactly?
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:47 PM   #3617
Maxacceleration
Awol

Oddometer: 2,224
Quote:
akra map not meant for hi flow filter and is lean anyway so tune ecu and richen the bottom and advance ign or better yet vortex for its plug and play
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
I am curious about all the tuning people are trying to do. When Uller helped me service my bike, he was showing me all these things we can do to tune the FI. I opted not to because it runs good for me. I have the stock map with a Uni filter and FMF Q4. My lowest MPG was 45 in LA traffic. My highest was 57. I normally get 50 mpg. Loaded.

So hearing people talk about 40 mpg makes me cringe. There seems to be more then enough power.. no?
Great info. I am going to run my bike on the akro for a week or so and see how it runs.
It seemed wonderful with the stock map and maybe just so-so on the akro map. I need more time with it.
I am thinking to carry my infra red heat gun & measure temps on the exhaust can and see if there is any heat difference at the muffler end.
With the stock map, FMF Q4 can & RR air filter, clutchless power wheelies in 3rd were amazingly easy.
I haven't had a chance yet to test my power wheelies yet on the akro map...
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:56 PM   #3618
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
if you have to ask....
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:00 PM   #3619
Maxacceleration
Awol

Oddometer: 2,224
Quote:
Lean runs hotter and runs cleaner (smog wise). Not always running better.
A richer bike can run cooler and have more power at the expense of 'clean air' (smog wise).
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:20 PM   #3620
Michelangelo
2 wheel rider...anytime..

Oddometer: 1,736
Did a search with no luck.
Looking for alternatives to the Motorex recommended 10w-60 engine oil.
Saw that Redline makes a 10W-60....thoughts?
Michelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:32 PM   #3621
RealChemist
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Not to interrupt more meaningful discussions, but how are the shorter owners getting on with the 690? I was thinking of picking one up to complement the sv650 I have but not sure how well itll work. Im 5'7", 150 lbs, 30 inch inseam. I tried searching but it didnt turn up a whole lot.
RealChemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:35 PM   #3622
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
I've had full tanks net 28mpg on several occasions in 1st/2nd gear trails. 38mpg is pretty standard for me riding dual sport (50% dirt, 50% road.) If I actually ride like a law obiding citizen and stay on the highway, 46mpg is it. How and where you ride makes a huge impact on economy.
I usually get around 32-34, and as little as 26. I've never seen over 40 with the Akra map and ignition map set to 2.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:36 PM   #3623
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealChemist View Post
Not to interrupt more meaningful discussions, but how are the shorter owners getting on with the 690? I was thinking of picking one up to complement the sv650 I have but not sure how well itll work. Im 5'7", 150 lbs, 30 inch inseam. I tried searching but it didnt turn up a whole lot.
I've never had a problem with any tall bike with my 30" inseam.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:08 PM   #3624
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Quote:
Well I have a bit of a problem. I have a hard time getting the kickstand up. I am not tall enough to lean the bike over far enough to get the stand up unless I have a good surface. I could live with it, but at the very least I would shorten the side stand a touch. As it is, I already have a Kouba link to shorten it an inch, but then I have to cut the side stand more. I don't have any trouble riding it, though. But an inch would make it easier. I just haven't done it yet.

I had a similar issue with a Yam WR250R. Shortening the stand was a good solution. Took 20 minutes and $25 at a welding shop in Cave Creek AZ.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:10 PM   #3625
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,323
Quote:
It's one side or the other and not the middle, my friend. Hint: pick the high side when on the hill!
Old 05-31-2012, 04:40 PM   #3626
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Quote:
if you have to ask....
If you can't explain it...the truth is you are spouting pompous crap.

There are no gages to tell you if it's running marginally hot at various rev ranges. Do you sniff the exhaust? Are you looking at the color of the headers or the exhaust tips?

The most interesting thing is that you claim you can tell it's lean by how the motor feels to you, and that you 'hate it'! ...What a load of crap. If you could you should be able to articulate it and any in your audience should be able to replicated it for ourselves. Particularly with the 690R.

I've had race motors built for decades. Mostly Supersport motors, but it includes both twins and fours set up for pro racing. Seat of the pants isn't how one tells if the motor is lean or not. Even race motors have various base tuning ranges to start with because they are surrounded by a lot of knowledge among tuners. It's a small world. After that it is all kit electronics and dyno testing. I've already mentioned the color variables as clues, but those are crude signs at best. Oxygenated fuels and such cause a lot of that, but a map selection on a stock motorcycle with a slipon and pump gas?

You are just an internet bullshitter. Your profile confirms it, since it is empty.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:53 PM   #3627
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I've never had a problem with any tall bike with my 30" inseam.
<----------- 30" inseam no problemo.
I'm a dwarf, remember?
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:18 PM   #3628
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet View Post
It's one side or the other and not the middle, my friend. Hint: pick the high side when on the hill!
Words of wisdom!
Old 05-31-2012, 08:03 PM   #3629
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,129
Quote:

There are no gages to tell you if it's running marginally hot at various rev ranges. Do you sniff the exhaust? Are you looking at the color of the headers or the exhaust tips?

The most interesting thing is that you claim you can tell it's lean by how the motor feels to you, and that you 'hate it'! ...What a load of crap. If you could you should be able to articulate it and any in your audience should be able to replicated it for ourselves. Particularly with the 690R.

I've had race motors built for decades. Mostly Supersport motors, but it includes both twins and fours set up for pro racing. Seat of the pants isn't how one tells if the motor is lean or not. Even race motors have various base tuning ranges to start with because they are surrounded by a lot of knowledge among tuners. It's a small world. After that it is all kit electronics and dyno testing. I've already mentioned the color variables as clues, but those are crude signs at best. Oxygenated fuels and such cause a lot of that, but a map selection on a stock motorcycle with a slipon and pump gas?

You are just an internet bullshitter. Your profile confirms it, since it is empty.
That is pretty harsh. Mookie has put up some real useful stuff in the past. Chill out man
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:49 PM   #3630
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 921
Quote:

I think you are the one spouting shit. it was sarcasm
i dont have many pro motors built for me but i have ridden and raced desert bikes for 30+ years and i CAN tell a lean bike just like most experienced riders can. it is easy on a single and even easier on a smoker. By the way they run the BEST just before failure I dont claim to have a clue about efi and all that mumbo jumbo but i do know lean and fat

You need to chill dude ! this aint jomomma!. last time shit was spouted like tha here we had a mega thread loss........remember?
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750

bobzilla screwed with this post 05-31-2012 at 09:48 PM
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote