Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2012, 08:43 AM   #3661
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorinoakenshield View Post
Isnt the wobble just the joy of having knobby tires?
My GS wobbled too with knobbies on pavement.
The steering damper helped.
You can ride my bike and see if the damper helps you and if you want to invest in one.
No, you can get that wobble on street bikes as well.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:55 AM   #3662
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
but do they do come in handy for carrying pies, donuts and other soft but nourishing snacks out on the trail
Can't argue with that...

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:23 AM   #3663
OhBoy
Got Out

Oddometer: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkster View Post
So...

When I get the bike up around 70MPH I have a bit of high speed wobble nothing major but it is annoying. I don't have a steering damper on the bike at the moment and am not sure if I am going to put one on this bike yet...

So what can I do to cure the wobble???

K
Mine wobbled just like yours at 70. Then...

Lowered the rear end by adjusting the spring. Took almost all the tension out of it with the bike on a lift. (no, it never bottoms out)

Can go 100mph+ now and I do not drop it as much with the seat a bit lower.

Running TKC80 and do not balance them, no rim locks.

You are stretching the rake.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:25 AM   #3664
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Just curious how prevalent the fuel pump failures are.
i dont know but my 08 has shed so much black junk that it cant be good, so rather change it leisurely in the garage rather than desperately in bfn
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:00 PM   #3665
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,755
Quote:
Here ya go...

My seat pan got a smackdown right where they put that extra support. The rubber stopper was pushed up into the cusion, and the fiberglass was disintegrated... Although I will admit there were extenuating circumstances that were caused by operator error.
BK.RD.RNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #3666
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,177
Quote:
1, Yes.
2, Happens at different air pressures (22, 28, 32)
3, Suspension is about to be sent out for revalving, reshimming, respringing for my MASS and my camping load.

Worries me also...
My 2012 will do the same thing under certain wind conditions. A crosswind affects my up-wind shoulder and about 70mpg the front is subject to a wobble. It comes from my shoulder, but clearly indicates the front is pretty sensitive at higher speeds. However, it either disappeared or I've not had the same wind conditions...

I think it was reduced after my suspension broke in. After about 500 miles my rear rides a lot lower then it did at first. That extends the trail dimension on the front end, thereby slowing the steering and reducing the chance of high speed wobble.

If you want to extend the trail dimension, you either raise the front or lower the rear. The poster above took out a lot of rear spring pre-load, thereby lowering his rear ride height. That does the same thing for trail.

Look at the top of your forks. If their is room to slide the forks so the caps are flush with your T clamp, you can slide them down so they are. That will produce a higher ride height in front and increase your trail and it doesn't take much.

After doing all that you will be looking for more spring in front to hold the bike higher. You suggested you were heavy, so maybe do that anyway.

My old 950 was sensitive like that too. I attempted to lower the saddle through lowering the front by sliding the fork tubes up in the T clamps...Wrong!!! Big scary wobble above 90mph. I quickly put it back.

I installed a Scotts damper the other day on my 690, but have it on full off right now because I want to test the bike at different damper settings before I use damping. I haven't had time.

Google up Rake and Trail. The results will reveal what rake and trail is and how they impact the steering of a motorcycle.

I'm no expert either but I've fielded supersport race bikes for many seasons, and learned a little about it during test sessions in watching the tuners and riders trying to get the motorcycle to handle like the rider wants. Pretty fascinating. Of course, those bikes are fully adjustable in that way.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:57 PM   #3667
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock View Post
i dont know but my 08 has shed so much black junk that it cant be good, so rather change it leisurely in the garage rather than desperately in bfn
The black junk is just from the carbon brushes and stator. The failure has nothing to do with that, it's the piss poor wiring for the brushes.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #3668
KC-10ENG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Hard to start

My 08 690 has developed a case of the hard starts after it sits in the garage after a few days to a week. It takes about ten attempts to start now. Am I looking at a dirty injector or a fuel pump?? The bike runs great after it starts and it will start on the first attempt after you get it started the first time. I am ashamed to say that the bike only has 4,000 miles on it.

Dennis
KC-10ENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #3669
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-10ENG View Post
My 08 690 has developed a case of the hard starts after it sits in the garage after a few days to a week. It takes about ten attempts to start now. Am I looking at a dirty injector or a fuel pump?? The bike runs great after it starts and it will start on the first attempt after you get it started the first time. I am ashamed to say that the bike only has 4,000 miles on it.

Dennis
They're sensitive to low battery voltage. I'd give that a check first then move on to the injector then the pump.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:51 PM   #3670
LanceSA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADAMRRP View Post
Just a heads up to all the 690 guys out there, Rally-Raid Products now have a thread, so feel free to share your view and as some questions, and even post pictures of your shiny parts !!
I've searched but can't find this thread. Anyone able to help please?
.................................................. .........
Never argue, never justify, never defend
LanceSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:18 PM   #3671
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceSA View Post
I've searched but can't find this thread. Anyone able to help please?
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=795897
Old 06-03-2012, 01:56 AM   #3672
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer: 1,052
Quote:
This came in the mail from ca cycleworks. I had one sitting on the shelf forever and after a few stalls, a bunch of black junk in the filter and 6k miles it was time to go in. I could not figure out how to attach the 32$ 1 foot length of submersible hose to the pump outlet so i called the company and the nice lady sent a new style replacement with the barbed fitting, but no sock filter so i guess the stock screen fits. Seems like it all should stay together,crossing my fingers

Wish I new about that .
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:22 AM   #3673
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer: 1,052
Quote:
Mine ( 08 ) started stalling a bit & felt lean & down on power , replaced the filter , no change , put a fuel pressure gauge on & it only had 20 psi pressure . This pump ( original ) always gave the whir on starting & never stopped . Replaced the fuel pump & all is good . Hope to dissect the original pump soon & see what was causing the low pressure . But plenty of black stuff in the filter .
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #3674
hansi
Teurer Abenteurer

Oddometer: 307
hansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:21 AM   #3675
GezwindeSpoed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
The black junk is just from the carbon brushes and stator. The failure has nothing to do with that, it's the piss poor wiring for the brushes.
I do not believe that. I only had black stuff in there the first time I changed the filter (8000km). Next times (2x) clean filters, still on the original pump (22000km) and running great. I think the black stuff are left overs from the production of the tank.