Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2012, 06:29 AM   #3721
tonykof
Dinosaur Tamer

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno T . View Post
Idling your 690 for 15 minutes will do nothing but heat it up unless the ecu has been instructed (via tune ecu or the XC-4 tool) to reset adaptations.
wtf..so when you put a different can on the bike the 15 min idle reset does nothing? Geez...I'm confused...(and like 300 miles from any dealers...)guess i didn't really notice any difference come to think of it...
I was also going to put a foam filter in...? so...it's looking like I will need to make a 600 mile round trip to a dealer...I don't have any "tune ecu or XC-4 tool"...don't know where to get them...don't know how to use them...and not sure if I want to spend more money...

Could someone pm me on what I need to do to get my head out of my ass on this?
KTM 350 XCF
tonykof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:04 AM   #3722
Bruno T .
N8YQ

Oddometer: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg7562 View Post
is there a setting in TuneECU to tell it to reset adaptations or does it automatically push the instructions when uploading a new tune?
If you upload new maps (FI / EPT) it will automatically look for new adaptations. Otherwise yes, there is a function in Tune Ecu to reset them.
Bruno T . is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:17 AM   #3723
Bruno T .
N8YQ

Oddometer: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonykof View Post
wtf..so when you put a different can on the bike the 15 min idle reset does nothing?
Well, it warms up the packing nice and even, just as the muffler mfg's want it done.
Bruno T . is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:04 AM   #3724
engineerjoe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
I have this posted over on SMJ, but I thought it might fit well here too.
Here is a list I've compiled so far for what I think new 690 owners should do to their bikes:

Quote:
1. Protect your investment, protect your bike. Buy sliders (Supermoto) real aluminum Handguards (I prefer Cyrca or Acerbis) and an aliuminum skid plate (I bought the Flatland Racing one, cheaper and heavy duty) WHEN you crash, you will minimize the damage to the bike and hopefully be able to pick it up and keep riding
2a. Drop the nuclear powered boat anchor of an exhaust. It will melt your turn signal and possibly your numberplate. I chose the FMF Q4 because of price and it is quiet at idle and cruising but still barks when pushed.
2b. Time for a remap. The two most popular ways to do this are DIY with TuneECU and buy a cable ($70) or buy a drop in Vortex ECU ($800). If you are cheap or you like to be involved in the tuning of your bike, go the TuneECU route. If you just want the right mapping and go ride, get the Vortex.
3a. (supermoto only)Skip the whole drop in filter or Evo1 step to save money. Go right to a Pod filter; either the EVO 2 filter or the K&N RU1750. Don't forget to remap for the added air into the system.
3b. Remove the SAS and canister. Instructions are posted in the Advrider "code Orange" thread. Don't forget to remap to turn off the SAS.

Ride!!

Other fixes and notes:
4.The hydraulic cam chain tensioners (CCT) have some problems and can overtighten the chain in certain situations (i.e. cold starts) If you are concerned about this you can buy a Rally Raid Manual Cam Chain Tensioner
5. Take off the mickey mouse mirrors. I use CRG hindsight mirrors mounted inside of the grips to keep them safe WHEN I crash :
6. Replace the upper gas tank bolts. There have been a few accounts of the bolts shearing and causing a really bad situation (the tank folds down into the moving tire!). Rally Raid sells the replacements or you can modify the stock bolts to act as a spacer for Grade 8 bolts
7. Go down one tooth on the countershaft sprocket for a little more punch. Stock these things are geared a little high. Not bad if you're using it for highway duty but geared way too high for kart tracks. (SMC stock is 16/42, E is 15/45)
8. The gas cap has been known to leak during extended wheelies . Try to take apart the mounting plate and clean up the seal or add a gasoline safe sealant. most of the time this will fix the issue. You can buy a screw on cap conversion (MX style) if that is what you prefer.
9. Set the race sag and static sag for your weight (free). This will make sure that the bike geometry will be correct. If you want to take this one step further you can get the suspension tuned by a shop.
10a. Clean your injector. When they get grit in them it can make the bike more prone to stall on decel. There are some videos on youtube about cleaning injectors but to really get them clean you need to take it to a shop. The injector is easy to remove and get out if you've done #3a
10b. Add a Napa 3095 fuel filter ($4) in place of the stock fuel line quick disconnect. This will keep the grit out of the newly cleaned injector. Change the filter every couple oil changes.
11.Zip tie the fuel line away from the bolt head or else it will rub a hole in it and leave you stranded. My fuel line was about half worn through when I checked it.
12. Remove the bolts in the radiator shroud and replace them with zip ties. In certain crashes the bolts will pull out the brass inserts in the radiator causing it to leak and leaving you stranded.

13. The overflow hose from the rad can sometimes rub on the nearby bracket & needs to be either wrapped or held away. (Thanks FriedDuck)
14. The radiator fan can rub on the radiator (it's too close.) Either add a piece of weather stripping or add some washers to the screw used to mount the fan (at the top) to hold it off the rad a bit. (Thanks FriedDuck)
If you guys can think of anything to add, let me know and I'll keep updating the list

engineerjoe screwed with this post 06-11-2012 at 05:24 AM
engineerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #3725
Bike Nomad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Axle Sliders for Dual Sports?

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineerjoe View Post
1. Protect your investment, protect your bike. Buy sliders (Supermoto)

Here is something I’ve mused over for quite awhile that I’m hoping to get some informed opinions from all y’all on. I’ve seen the sliders offered for 690s that fit on various places such as the muffler http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/5797/612/ , foot pegs http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-950-990-adventure-950-supermoto-690-supermoto-690-enduro-690-duke-690-smc-footpeg-sliders, handlebar ends http://www.ktmtwins.com/rg-ktm-690-supermoto-duke-bar-slider , frame placements http://www.ktmtwins.com/rg-ktm-690-smc-enduro-frame-protection and front http://www.ktmtwins.com/r-g-ktm-690-enduro-fork-sliders and rearhttp://www.rg-racing.com/browseType/Swingarm_Protectors/KTM/690_SM/SP0022BK.aspx axle bobbins/skateboard wheel looking thingies.

I’ve only ever seen them placed on a supermoto style bike, not a dual sport. The first few placements I mentioned would seem to have no impact off road, but would putting *axle* sliders on mess you up off road somehow? Would the slight extra width or stickiness compared to metal cause you to hang up on stuff, let’s say while trying to traverse a rock garden and be more of a liability off road, than it would be a benefit to preserve your bike if dropped at speed on pavement? Does anyone here have axle sliders mounted on your dual sport, or have you seen them on a bike that is used off road? Do the axle sliders do much to help protect a dual sport when crashed on pavement?

Bike Nomad screwed with this post 06-08-2012 at 02:15 PM
Bike Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #3726
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 1,065
emissions label recall

So yesterday I received a notice from KTM North America stating that their is a recall on the emissions label on my bike. No parts, just the sticker. I found this part interesting:

"In order to ensure your full protection under the emission warranty made applicable to your vehicle by state and federal law, and your right to participate in future recalls, it is recommended that you have your vehicle serviced as soon as possible. Failure to do so could legally be determined to be lack of proper maintenance of your vehicle."

"uncorrected emission label recalls will result in the inabilty to renew your California vehicle registration"

So basically they want me to drive several hours to my nearest dealer to have their service dept put a fucking sticker on my bike? They say that it is voluntary yet clearly state that I cannot register my bike without doing it? Couldn't they just send me the damn sticker with a "how-to" on installing it? I'm definately upset that I'm basically being required to spend ~$100 in gas just to have a sticker put on "free of charge"

Did anyone else get this letter or is it just another CA only deal?
The Letter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #3727
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 2,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
So yesterday I received a notice from KTM North America stating that their is a recall on the emissions label on my bike. No parts, just the sticker. I found this part interesting:

"In order to ensure your full protection under the emission warranty made applicable to your vehicle by state and federal law, and your right to participate in future recalls, it is recommended that you have your vehicle serviced as soon as possible. Failure to do so could legally be determined to be lack of proper maintenance of your vehicle."

"uncorrected emission label recalls will result in the inabilty to renew your California vehicle registration"

So basically they want me to drive several hours to my nearest dealer to have their service dept put a fucking sticker on my bike? They say that it is voluntary yet clearly state that I cannot register my bike without doing it? Couldn't they just send me the damn sticker with a "how-to" on installing it? I'm definately upset that I'm basically being required to spend ~$100 in gas just to have a sticker put on "free of charge"

you could ring your dealer and ask him to post the sticker to you
Old 06-08-2012, 04:18 PM   #3728
bruceo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Quote:

I got one too, and I'm in Washington State. Same letter, saying I can't register my bike in CA.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:38 PM   #3729
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 1,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
you could ring your dealer and ask him to post the sticker to you

Normally that would be a logical way to do it, but my "local" dealer and I are far from being on good terms... something to do with them having my bike for 4+ months just to tell me that they weren't sure what was wrong (eventually fixed by KTM corporate mechanic) and me not being happy about it. Needless to say, they won't be doing me any favors anytime soon.
The Letter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #3730
NovaMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Low compression

So, received my bike 2 days ago. It had a new impeller/seals/gaskets installed along with 5-6 oil changes/flushes.

I ride it out last night for 100km and note the engine seems weak, really weak off throttle. I figure a 15m relearn and throttle calibration might sort it out. No change.

Today I decide after a work commute & stalling the engine a dozen times something is a miss. I performed a compression test with my 30yr old Snap-on tester and noted 75psi hot. That can't be right. I went out and bought a new compression tester, same result; less actually - 70psi. I plugged the spark plug hole with my finger and it wouldn't even blow it out.

I'm going to run the same test on a friends '12 just to see if my readings are off the wall. Sheer physics tells me I should be reading a max of 173psi and a realistic 165ish.

The engine is proper f*#&e% I figure. I want nothing to do with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaMoto View Post
Update: It was indeed the seal. They're saying the engine sounds fine so they're going to flush and button it up and it's left to me to deal direct with KTM Canada for warranty coverage beyond the initial 12mos. A real helpful bunch
NovaMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #3731
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,935
Finally got around to getting my radiator off yesterday to get the leak fixed. Looks like I must have smashed it into something the last time I dumped it on that side. The rad shop left a message for me today that it's ready.

Anyway, even though I shimmed the upper shroud mount AND put silicon tubing on the shroud edge facing the rad, it's still managed to start wearing into the damn rad.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:57 PM   #3732
RazorKQ
Me

Oddometer: 8
Recall Sticker

Quote:
Normally that would be a logical way to do it, but my "local" dealer and I are far from being on good terms... something to do with them having my bike for 4+ months just to tell me that they weren't sure what was wrong (eventually fixed by KTM corporate mechanic) and me not being happy about it. Needless to say, they won't be doing me any favors anytime soon.
I received a recall sticker also and I am in Utah. Your dealer sounds like they wouldn't know how to install the sticker and would have to fly in the corporate mechanic to install it too.
Why don't they recall something worth recalling such as the left rear T/S light that melts, or the fuel tank that melts, or the exhaust system that melts it all, or the fuel cap that leaks. This is crazy.
RazorKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #3733
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:

Oh god. I can't wait. I bought my bike in California

I will have to laminate it and paste it on the bike!
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #3734
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Proper Riding Posture When Being Towed

When your 690 breaks down, get another one to tow ya !!

But be sure to pay attention to proper riding posture:

http://bobzilla.smugmug.com/Motorcyc...f5Dps&lb=1&s=A

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:44 AM   #3735
Paves
Beetrt/liver sausage

Oddometer: 1,663
OEM fuel filter

Can someone confirm that this is the OEM fuel filter for the 690R?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/KTM-690-S...item2a1e901a12

"All the freaky people make the beauty in the world" - Michael Franty. Weird, odd and proud of it
Paves is offline   Reply With Quote