Old 06-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #3856
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pate View Post
KTM luggage support several times broke,
TT support is much stronger:

I enjoy seeing all the mods you have made to your 690, but shouldn't you have some goggles on when welding?
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:12 PM   #3857
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoilSampleDave View Post
I enjoy seeing all the mods you have made to your 690, but shouldn't you have some goggles on when welding?
Does Russia have OSHA?
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #3858
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
Does Russia have OSHA?
Prolly not, but spare eyes are hard to come by...
Old 06-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #3859
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Also has his right hand on the lead and his left on the grounded rack with no gloves.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #3860
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman View Post
Also has his right hand on the lead and his left on the grounded rack with no gloves.
Hands are easier to replace
Old 06-12-2012, 08:21 PM   #3861
Barman
Way Offline

Quote:
Hands are easier to replace
It's the sensitive bits between the hands that are at more risk. I've been popped a few times welding in wet conditions. A real heart stopper.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #3862
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 921
he is probably just tacking the pieces and you wont get shocked with a good ground and dry hands

what none of you have ever done a " poke and pray" quick blink tack ?
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #3863
Greg@RME
Mis-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,258
Hey guys, new KTM 690 Enduro owner checking in! I picked up a well outfitted '08 last Friday, then proceeded to take it on a overnight ride on Saturday & Sunday, traveling 500 miles, over 12k feet elevation and crossed the Continental Divide 2 times!

I posted a quick ride report in the Rockies Regional forum, here - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=798756

One teaser pic for ya, check out the thread for more!

I do have some questions & comments about the bike...

The bike was lowered by the PO and to make the kickstand work, they bent the shit out of it. I could fab one, but I'd rather buy an aftermarket one that fits and is at least somewhat beefy. Is there an aftermarket side stand available for the bike?

The bike is leaking oil around the shifter... I read in this thread (somewhere) that others have had to replace the seal. I guess my question is, how long will another seal last? Is there an updated, better seal, or just replace them as they leak?

My clutch ran low on mineral oil as I climbed the last pass (Hagerman Pass, above Leadville, CO) and I ended up limping it back down the mountain to a NAPA parts store 50 miles away. The clutch master cyl was pretty much empty and I couldn't see where the fluid was going. No leaks that I could see. I bought some quality mineral oil and got the clutch lever working again. Is this a common issue?

The turning radius... I read about it before I bought the bike and knew it wasn't going to be great. It sucks... I turned the locking nut all the way out and turned the bolt all the way in, until both the nut & bolt were tight... could one remove the locking nut and turn the bolt head in all the way and gain any improvement?

Sorry if these are questions that have already been covered, I've been reading this thread for several days now and have been searching it, but the sites search kind of sucks.

Other than that, the bike is amazing... it blows me away every time I rip open the throttle! So very capable off-road, on curvy mountain pavement, etc, etc. It's one great piece of machinery! I couldn't be happier with the bike!
Greg@RME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #3864
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
he is probably just tacking the pieces and you wont get shocked with a good ground and dry hands

Hmmm.... "Poke and Pray"... might have to take this to the basement for those stories
Old 06-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #3865
Barman
Way Offline

Quote:
he is just tacking the pieces and you probably wont get shocked with a good ground and dry hands

"probably" moved to the correct location.

Poke and pray... you've been watching those skilled craftsmen on American Chopper too long. And yes we're all guilty.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:26 PM   #3866
Pate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
This is the worker on BAM,
It had a day off and it didn't become correctly puts on.
He told me that he closes eyes.
Russian Off-Road Challenge 2010 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=579487
BMW F800GS KTM 300EXC KTM 690 R +RRP
Pate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:57 PM   #3867
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@RME View Post
bike is leaking oil around the shifter... I read in this thread (somewhere) that others have had to replace the seal. I guess my question is, how long will another seal last? Is there an updated, better seal, or just replace them as they leak?
Quite possibly the counter shaft seal. Just had to replace mine on my '08.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:52 AM   #3868
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@RME View Post
Hey guys, new KTM 690 Enduro owner checking in! I picked up a well outfitted '08 last Friday, then proceeded to take it on a overnight ride on Saturday & Sunday, traveling 500 miles, over 12k feet elevation and crossed the Continental Divide 2 times!

I posted a quick ride report in the Rockies Regional forum, here - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=798756

One teaser pic for ya, check out the thread for more!

I do have some questions & comments about the bike...

The bike was lowered by the PO and to make the kickstand work, they bent the shit out of it. I could fab one, but I'd rather buy an aftermarket one that fits and is at least somewhat beefy. Is there an aftermarket side stand available for the bike?

The bike is leaking oil around the shifter... I read in this thread (somewhere) that others have had to replace the seal. I guess my question is, how long will another seal last? Is there an updated, better seal, or just replace them as they leak?

My clutch ran low on mineral oil as I climbed the last pass (Hagerman Pass, above Leadville, CO) and I ended up limping it back down the mountain to a NAPA parts store 50 miles away. The clutch master cyl was pretty much empty and I couldn't see where the fluid was going. No leaks that I could see. I bought some quality mineral oil and got the clutch lever working again. Is this a common issue?

The turning radius... I read about it before I bought the bike and knew it wasn't going to be great. It sucks... I turned the locking nut all the way out and turned the bolt all the way in, until both the nut & bolt were tight... could one remove the locking nut and turn the bolt head in all the way and gain any improvement?

Sorry if these are questions that have already been covered, I've been reading this thread for several days now and have been searching it, but the sites search kind of sucks.

Other than that, the bike is amazing... it blows me away every time I rip open the throttle! So very capable off-road, on curvy mountain pavement, etc, etc. It's one great piece of machinery! I couldn't be happier with the bike!

Kickstand, no aftermarket ones I've ever seen.

Countershaft leak, kind of a KTM thing. It's either the seal, or the bushing. The seals a couple bucks, the bushing is like 20. Sometimes you can just put a bigger O-ring behind the bushing and that will stop the leak for a bit.

Clutch leak, probably master cylinder and you can't see it leaking because it's mixed in with the CS oil leak. Lot of folks just ditch the stock MC for a Sigutech.

Turning radius, it's a supermoto bike converted to a dirt bike. You'll just have to live with the street bike turning radius.

Albie screwed with this post 06-13-2012 at 08:10 AM
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:29 AM   #3869
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 14,005
Quote:

Usually with the MIG gun Turn your head and hope your hands don't shake too much
Old 06-13-2012, 06:23 AM   #3870
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Usually with the MIG gun Turn your head and hope your hands don't shake too much
I had a few MIG flashes in my life. A small one is now permanent. Just to let everybody know, you can catch a flash even with closed eyes.

Anyway. This Russian guy's 690 set-up is interesting. The least I can say. The fellow is very handy too.

Paul Jr