ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-13-2012, 03:37 PM   #3916
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: On a RTW ride - currently Central Asia
Oddometer: 5,333
Albie,

You do know that the 690 Supermoto / Duke frame is different from the 690 E / R / SMC / Rally (some extra brackets welded on) frame that came out later, right?

IMO the bad turning radius is simply a result of KTM designing the frame for optimal stiffness, triangulation and all that.

BMW compromised a bit in this regard but did a good job on the F800GS frame, the parallel twin is super wide and yet they managed to give it a 42 (or thereabouts) steering angle due to how the frame tubes are narrow near the neck before bowing out. Now that rear shock mount however, WTF were they thinking?!?

LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #3917
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!
 
Seth S's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: sanity?
Oddometer: 4,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
No same year, 2007. BTW, how many people bought a 690 Rallye? Oh wait, they weren't available EVER.
though the 690RR is the same frame but with a 650 motor instead of the crazy factory motor...if i remember correctly.
__________________
Seth S

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:42 PM   #3918
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: On a RTW ride - currently Central Asia
Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
though the 690RR is the same frame but with a 650 motor instead of the crazy factory motor...if i remember correctly.
The 690 Rally was first raced in Jan. 2007, and I think that the E/R/SMC were then based on that frame, at least all the main tubes and the geometry.

Btw the 690RR had a 654cc engine as well. Feels a lot stronger than a standard 690, but the actual non-Replicas are supposed to be in another league still.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:00 PM   #3919
Uller
Beastly Adventurer
 
Uller's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Arlington, WA
Oddometer: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
No same year, 2007. BTW, how many people bought a 690 Rallye? Oh wait, they weren't available EVER.
Albie, not to pile on but, it seems like quite a few lucky individuals have purchased a 690 Rallye.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542250
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #3920
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Upstate SC
Oddometer: 8,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
Albie, not to pile on but, it seems like quite a few lucky individuals have purchased a 690 Rallye.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542250
No biggie, but you hear everyone complain on here about all the short comings of the 690 and most of those complaints never apply to the SM/SMC's. Like that not so wide tranny ratio. Not great for a dual sport, but damn it's great on a track. That hard to control throttle is a PITA in rough stuff, but works flawlessly when you're railing on corners and all you care about is instant throttle response and you're either WFO or closed. That easy to damage radiator while riding off road. Or that pesky hot running thermostat that has the fan running all the time while you're slogging along in 1st gear on technical trails, yet isn't any bit of a concern when you're running at 90 MPH in 6th.

Can't understand why so many want to get their panties in a bunch.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #3921
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick
 
BK.RD.RNR's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Livin' in the 90's
Oddometer: 5,292
If it helps.
I spent the last 2 weekends camping off of my 690, and the only issue I had was the tailight popped out from vibration, and the sand that got into the socket with the dialectric grease. I pulled the trusty screwdriver out of my KTM tool kit, as well as a paper towel, and was on my way with no other issues. Aproximately 1300 miles total, with about 70% dirt, and offroad.

Oh yeah, and I have close enough to call it 30,000 miles on this bike.

I love the 690!!
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #3922
Greg@RME
Mis-Adventurer
 
Greg@RME's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Grand Jct, CO
Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
Quite possibly the counter shaft seal. Just had to replace mine on my '08.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Kickstand, no aftermarket ones I've ever seen.

Countershaft leak, kind of a KTM thing. It's either the seal, or the bushing. The seals a couple bucks, the bushing is like 20. Sometimes you can just put a bigger O-ring behind the bushing and that will stop the leak for a bit.

Clutch leak, probably master cylinder and you can't see it leaking because it's mixed in with the CS oil leak. Lot of folks just ditch the stock MC for a Sigutech.

Turning radius, it's a supermoto bike converted to a dirt bike. You'll just have to live with the street bike turning radius.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info.

Didn't mean to start a war about the turning radius, I do ride tight trails and it will come into play. I'm going to tweak the steering stops so the forks almost touch the radiators and call it good.
Greg@RME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:32 AM   #3923
Maurizio
2 smoker
 
Maurizio's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Turin, Italy
Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
No it doesn't, the 690 SM is the exact same bike as the Enduro.
Maybe you are referring to the SMC, a "spinoff" with 17inchers of the enduro.
The SM (aka Spy vs. Spy) entered production in 2006, before the various off road 690 versions, such as the Rallye factory, the Baja and the '08->current Enduro.
__________________
maurizio
'14 250 EXC E "Sparkling Orange"
'08 FLHCTUSE3 - '76 CB 750 F ss
sold: '03 950 adv s, '05 450 exc, '08 690 e

Maurizio screwed with this post 06-14-2012 at 05:04 AM
Maurizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:34 AM   #3924
Maurizio
2 smoker
 
Maurizio's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Turin, Italy
Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman View Post
What are you trying to say Maurizio?
Ehm...
__________________
maurizio
'14 250 EXC E "Sparkling Orange"
'08 FLHCTUSE3 - '76 CB 750 F ss
sold: '03 950 adv s, '05 450 exc, '08 690 e
Maurizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:44 AM   #3925
Maurizio
2 smoker
 
Maurizio's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Turin, Italy
Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
I still do not understand why the 690 has such a poor turning radius but my 990 Supermoto R also with a trellis frame has a great turning radius???????
It's a triple clamps matter: the sumo versions of both 690 and 950/990 have inline axle forks, and triples with slighty more offset.

My old 950 adv didn't have a better turning radius than the 690, and they share the "advanced" axle forks.

So, back to the 690 enduro, they designed a trellis that fits around the airbox and, as Barman wrote, they put the radiator a little bit too high: I have removed the steering stop bolts, and the fork tubes hit the frame (on the top part of the trellis) and the radiator cover. BTW, leaving only the screws without the stopping bolts and screwing them all in will make a little better turning radius and the fork legs barely touch the plastic frame cover.
__________________
maurizio
'14 250 EXC E "Sparkling Orange"
'08 FLHCTUSE3 - '76 CB 750 F ss
sold: '03 950 adv s, '05 450 exc, '08 690 e

Maurizio screwed with this post 06-14-2012 at 05:08 AM
Maurizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:14 AM   #3926
Velociraptor
TrackBum
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 1,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurizio View Post
It's a triple clamps matter: the sumo versions of both 690 and 950/990 have inline axle forks, and triples with slighty more offset.

My old 950 adv didn't have a better turning radius than the 690, and they share the "advanced" axle forks.

So, back to the 690 enduro, they designed a trellis that fits around the airbox and, as Barman wrote, they put the radiator a little bit too high: I have removed the steering stop bolts, and the fork tubes hit the frame (on the top part of the trellis) and the radiator cover. BTW, leaving only the screws without the stopping bolts and screwing them all in will make a little better turning radius and the fork legs barely touch the plastic frame cover.
Thanks for the explanation!
__________________
2014 KTM EXC 500
2014 KTM 1290 Superduke R
2009 KTM 690r Enduro SOLD
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:42 AM   #3927
Night Crawler
Adventurer
 
Night Crawler's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Oddometer: 77
Trouble starting

My bike has never even missed a beat, and always starts on first crank until this weekend. I went to start it mid-way through a ride when the bike was hot and it just cranked over continuously but would not start until I cranked the throttle wide open and bam it fired right up. It ran perfectly until I got back and would not start again. I have been able to start it the same way since, but it is very difficult. After it starts, its seems to run fine. I can hear pump coming on normally, and I changed the spark plug and cleaned the air filter. I have found no loose connections, only what looks to be a missing ground on the left side of the frame right below the air box bushing mount, but I can not find a wire that would go there. Is this an extra grounding point or was something going there that I cant find? Thank you for any help.

Night Crawler screwed with this post 06-14-2012 at 08:04 AM
Night Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:13 AM   #3928
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.
 
CanadianX's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Ontario
Oddometer: 1,251
brake/signal lights

Broke the OEM signal light and water getting into my brake light popped the bulb, sucked to ride home after dark with no tail marker light. Now looking for integrated tail/signal light that is LED and seals better than the OEM lights. Any thoughts? Pics??? Bike is a 2012 KTM 690 Enduro R.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:26 AM   #3929
Night Crawler
Adventurer
 
Night Crawler's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
Broke the OEM signal light and water getting into my brake light popped the bulb, sucked to ride home after dark with no tail marker light. Now looking for integrated tail/signal light that is LED and seals better than the OEM lights. Any thoughts? Pics??? Bike is a 2012 KTM 690 Enduro R.
I bought one of these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KTM-690-SMC-...#ht_500wt_1203

Nice unit, very bright and keeps the fender and plate from getting ripped off by the back tire. Add the Sicass flush mount signals and you're done!
Night Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:29 AM   #3930
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man
 
bobzilla's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Lost & Found again in the Great Basin
Oddometer: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Crawler View Post
My bike has never even missed a beat, and always starts on first crank until this weekend. I went to start it mid-way through a ride when the bike was hot and it just cranked over continuously but would not start until I cranked the throttle wide open and bam it fired right up. It ran perfectly until I got back and would not start again. I have been able to start it the same way since, but it is very difficult. After it starts, its seems to run fine. I can hear pump coming on normally, and I changed the spark plug and cleaned the air filter. I have found no loose connections, only what looks to be a missing ground on the left side of the frame right below the air box bushing mount, but I can not find a wire that would go there. Is this an extra grounding point or was something going there that I cant find? Thank you for any help.
TPS adjustment probably. How does it idle? Did you try just a tiny throtttle opening to start?
I am pretty sure that is just another grounding point. Both sides have one if I remember right
__________________
Ride the DEZ
05 FE 550 Husaberg plated
08 FE 650 Husaberg plated
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014