Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2012, 08:39 AM   #3931
Night Crawler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
I did rotate the throttle assembly down to compensate for bar risers, and performed the manual throttle adjustment where you turn the ignition on and slowly open and close the throttle. The TPS adjustment, if that is the problem is going to have to be performed by the dealer I suppose? There is a ground on each side the other one has a wire connected to it though.
Night Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:53 AM   #3932
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer: 1,036
Mine has no ground wire there either.

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
wswartzwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #3933
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Crawler View Post
I bought one of these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KTM-690-SMC-...#ht_500wt_1203

Nice unit, very bright and keeps the fender and plate from getting ripped off by the back tire. Add the Sicass flush mount signals and you're done!
Thanks for the info, was everything plug and play? No issues of fit and how is the seal on the lights, I get mud and water in mine regularly.

Wonder if it will fit a 2012 model?

CanadianX screwed with this post 06-14-2012 at 09:20 AM
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:22 AM   #3934
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Can't understand why so many want to get their panties in a bunch.
I don't know....

but,

I personally think it does pretty darn good on the tight, twisty stuff too. At least, good enough to have loads of fun on.

I posted up a few videos of the single track portion of a day trip I made late last year to the east side of the state. There were just a couple of hair pin turns.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=1129
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:37 AM   #3935
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
I don't know....

but,

I personally think it does pretty darn good on the tight, twisty stuff too. At least, good enough to have loads of fun on.

I posted up a few videos of the single track portion of a day trip I made late last year to the east side of the state. There were just a couple of hair pin turns.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=1129
zactly
i feel like a hero on mine when the guys on 300 smokers are just a little bit ahead and im on the 690
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:42 AM   #3936
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
zactly
i feel like a hero on mine when the guys on 300 smokers are just a little bit ahead and im on the 690
I feel the same way when I'm right on the ass of a liter bike with 100 more HP in the twisties.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:59 AM   #3937
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
zactly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I feel the same way when I'm right on the ass of a liter bike with 100 more HP in the twisties.
This is what is so damn awesome about the 690......You both are talking about the SAME bike!

I was just thinking about this on my ride into work this morning. You can haul ass in some rather technical offroad terrain and when you pop out on some of the best twisties the world has to offer you are just at home as you were while offroad.
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:29 AM   #3938
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,004
Those were some nice videos! Well, now and then the turning radius of the 690 makes itself known when I have to do a u-turn on a trail or something, but it's a very very minor issue for me. I totally agree that the 690 is the best all around bike I have ever owned. During that Baja trip I did in April the 690 was just awesome and at the end of every day I felt like I was riding the best bike on the planet for that type of riding. So count me in as a huge fan. I bought my 690 in August 2009 and have zero plans to sell it.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #3939
Night Crawler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
Thanks for the info, was everything plug and play? No issues of fit and how is the seal on the lights, I get mud and water in mine regularly.

Wonder if it will fit a 2012 model?
The fender and signals both come w/factory connectors, you just have to drill a couple of holes for the signals. I have not noticed any water in them yet.
Night Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:14 PM   #3940
logipunk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
valves check

hey Guys , QQ , what parts do i need for a valve check ? Special tools, or can i get away without them? gaskets ? I have shims already , just want to prep before i take her apart.

Thanks
logipunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:32 PM   #3941
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by logipunk View Post
hey Guys , QQ , what parts do i need for a valve check ? Special tools, or can i get away without them? gaskets ? I have shims already , just want to prep before i take her apart.

Thanks
No gaskets needed, just shims for the parts end of the job.
Tools. Feeler gauges, measuring device: micrometer, caliper, whatever you're comfortable with. I use a digital caliper. Torque wrench Depends on your comfort/familiarity level with the small stuff.

That's about it. I'll see if I can dig up the link for the adjustment process for you.
http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showt...pics-questions)
Old 06-14-2012, 02:30 PM   #3942
FriedDuck
Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman View Post
No gaskets needed, just shims for the parts end of the job.
Tools. Feeler gauges, measuring device: micrometer, caliper, whatever you're comfortable with. I use a digital caliper. Torque wrench Depends on your comfort/familiarity level with the small stuff.

That's about it. I'll see if I can dig up the link for the adjustment process for you.
http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?76471-690-SMC-valve-check-adjust-(pics-questions)
I think the only special tool that's called for is a pointed bolt (I took a regular bolt and ground it on a bench grinder) to hold it at TDC. Though I use mine I don't think it's necessary. The plastic hex-headed cover on the alternator side also needs to come off. It's a really large size (17mm??) and probably the only other tool you might not already have.

Aside from some bits being fiddly to pull off or reassemble it's really easy to work on.
FriedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #3943
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,235
Anyone have a part number for a replacement brake light bulb on a 2012 Enduro? Mine blew up last night when water got on the hot bulb and taking it out I crimped the numbers and can't read it. Definitely need a better seal on the brake light cover and signal light covers. Signal lights can be sealed with a little tape but I'm not sure how to get a better seal on the tail light cover, silicone maybe?

Edit: Found this link on the subj of bulbs - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=757158

CanadianX screwed with this post 06-14-2012 at 02:57 PM
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #3944
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
Anyone have a part number for a replacement brake light bulb on a 2012 Enduro? Mine blew up last night when water got on the hot bulb and taking it out I crimped the numbers and can't read it. Definitely need a better seal on the brake light cover and signal light covers. Signal lights can be sealed with a little tape but I'm not sure how to get a better seal on the tail light cover, silicone maybe?
1157 bulb.
I sealed all of the lens gaskets with dielectric compuond. I had the tube in my hand anyway while I was applying the compound to the bulb sockets.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #3945
Michelangelo
2 wheel rider...anytime..

Oddometer: 1,603
So the rearmost heatshield mount on my 2008 690E broke/cracked. So I figured, why bother? And I grinded the rest of the mount off, had the crack welded (it cracked right where the exhaust shield mount is welded onto the rear part of the header (see pic, where the black gunk is now on the pipe from my melted pants). Unfortunately on my first ride my $200 Klim Dakar pants melted right where that mount used to be!!!

So I'm looking for ideas on a heatshield (no I don't want a bunch of ugly header tape). If I recall other KTM bikes have this same area of the header where they need a heatshield and an option was sold by some suppliers. Anyone know of any?

Also, if others go to an aftermarket header, it probably doesn't have mounts for the heatshields. So how do they protect pants from what happened to me?