Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2012, 01:50 PM   #3991
ktmmitch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by nibby View Post
Just took delivery of a new 690 and am now starting to think of places to put a toolkit, spare tube, pump and levers for any repairs when out.

I dont normally carry a backpack or waistpack (would be easier and cheaper) but I like the spares on the bike.

Was thinking of a Kriega 5L tail pack to go on the back (maybe with the new Kriega rack loops and cam straps which look like they allow anything from a 5l to 20l drypack to be attached) Anyone else done this and does it fit with the grab handles in place? (need to fit the grab handles as they dont come pre-installed for some reason?)

Also looking at a GL Coyote for weekend and longer trips if needed.

Also interested if anyone know if the tank bolts on the 2012 model need replacing or have KTM learned a lesson from previous failures and made these things stronger?

ktmmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #3992
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelangelo View Post
Is the top or bottom bolts more prone to breakage? I thought it was just the top ones?
The top were the ones prone to breakage. I went through quite a few of them until RR came out with a solution (to be fair an inmate Down Under (Mudguts) also sells a replacement in the vendor forum, slightly different design).

The issue with the lower mounting is two fold. First, the rubber bushings were soft and broke down allowing for some play (IMO this contributed to the upper bolts breaking) and helped the lower fasteners to loosen no matter how strong of thread locker you used... Second, the OEM method of attachment is a steel rod threaded in either end. This design in itself is prone to cause boolts to back out not to mention being a pain in the ass to remove if necessary.

The RR lower fixes this. It is a steel shaft with a through bolt. The shaft is a little larger diameter than stock so it bulges the rubber bushings out for a tighter fit and you really get to torque down on the bolt with an allen on one side and a wrench on the other. Plus, it is a nylock nut which holds much better.

I used to have tank problems all the time until RR came out with those two products.... I highly recommend them to all 690 owners. (no affiliation either)
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:19 PM   #3993
nibby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Mitch, been looking at that and looks a good solution but doesnt look like it will fit all what I need i.e. spare tube, 3 of the MP levers, some tools, small bicycle pump and a few other bits?? Or will it?

cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmmitch View Post

nibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:04 PM   #3994
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Great stuff, thanks. I didnt know there was a 690 luggage thread until now

I know what I'm doing for the rest of the night
Put on a pot of coffee....
Old 06-17-2012, 03:26 PM   #3995
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,128
Quote:
Mitch, been looking at that and looks a good solution but doesnt look like it will fit all what I need i.e. spare tube, 3 of the MP levers, some tools, small bicycle pump and a few other bits?? Or will it?

cheers
I have that tool kit. It does not hold a lot but helps. I have a tank bag, tail bag, and that tool kit. I have stuff spread around and that works for me as long as I remember where I put everything.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:33 PM   #3996
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,764
Thanks uller i made the right decision then
Beer'o'clock Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #3997
Pundy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
I just ordered the Kriega bags. Haven't used them yet. Excited to though.....

Pics of Giant Loop, Waterproof Duffel with Tent and camp chair, and waterproof stuff sack with sleeping bag all on top of the SW Motech Rack are in the rack thread. I run some cam buckle webing straps for rafting under the motech rack in a cross pattern over the tent and bag. Works very well. No missing items ever and no shifting even in bad whoops.
I run the Kreiga bags and love them. I have a G-It tail rack and a K-20 and K-10. They are bomber bags and sit very nicely on the rack, really secure. I'm going to order up the Overlander 30 setup to hopefully replace my Great Basin. I have to say that I'm not completely in love with the Great Basin. The downside is that I think it holds the weight a little high. I think the Overlander bags will allow me to get it lower. We'll see.
Pundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:07 PM   #3998
scholz
bush league

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2 View Post
Mine are arriving from RR on tuesday {top and bottom} are there any tricks i should know for installation ?

I installed the RR upper bolts and found I had play in my tank. Don't know if it was a bad production run or if I installed them wrong. I put the stock ones back in and no play in my tank.
scholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:00 PM   #3999
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 460
ktm twins now has the 2012 oil filters. I'm sure other sites have them too....
http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-2012-690-oil-filter-set
Quote:
In 2012 KTM changed one of the filters in the 690 series motorcycles. Until we can source out filters from a company like K&N or HiFlo you will have to purchase the KTM units.
KTM Part Number:

just fyi....
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #4000
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pundy View Post
I run the Kreiga bags and love them. I have a G-It tail rack and a K-20 and K-10. They are bomber bags and sit very nicely on the rack, really secure. I'm going to order up the Overlander 30 setup to hopefully replace my Great Basin. I have to say that I'm not completely in love with the Great Basin. The downside is that I think it holds the weight a little high. I think the Overlander bags will allow me to get it lower. We'll see.
I somewhat agree and disagree with you about the weight being up high all at the same time. You definitely can feel it. I think it really has to do with how you pack them though. I tend not to carry much at all over the middle portion. All my stuff is lower on the sides.

However, I will agree its weight will affect you. I can really notice a difference if I try to lean the bike over too far in a corner. I really have tried to limit what I bring with me. You can bring the kitchen sink in it if you want to. I really would like to get a Coyote however, they didn't make it when I got my GB.

I have looked really close at the Kriega Overlander setup. It just doesn't look as rugged as the Great Basin though. I have gone down at 25 plus on pavement (broke my hand) and it didn't even phase the Giant Loop bag. I had thought I put a small tear in it and I was mistaken. It just looks like it. Didn't go all the way through.

Uller screwed with this post 06-23-2012 at 05:19 PM
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:07 AM   #4001
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Hey fellas my RR soft luggage rack and rotapax gear should be here tommorow just thinking is the fuel rotapax ok on the exhaust side - they would be heat resistant wouldnt they?
Old 06-18-2012, 02:52 AM   #4002
Day13
Worst Avatar EVER!

Oddometer: 683
Quote:
Hey fellas my RR soft luggage rack and rotapax gear should be here tommorow just thinking is the fuel rotapax ok on the exhaust side - they would be heat resistant wouldnt they?

Yes.

Day13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:35 AM   #4003
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 848
Quote:
Depends.

Do you have the OEM original exhaust ? If yes, think twice.

Paul Jr
Old 06-18-2012, 04:45 AM   #4004
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck View Post
Depends.

Do you have the OEM original exhaust ? If yes, think twice.

Paul Jr
There must be more to that story. The muffler didn't just melt the plastic on its own. Mine hasn't yet, and I've done a few trail rides where the motor gets pretty hot. Maybe 2 bars left and no airflow plonking in first gear.
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:46 AM   #4005
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Thanks fellas thought they would be fine- I have a FMF Q4 which i would recomend to anyone.