Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2012, 06:21 AM   #4051
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,757
last night I finished changing the oil filters, screens, and draining as much as the chocolate milkshake fluid out of the oil sump. I swapped in a new thermostat, added coolant, and fresh 10-60 oil and fired the bike up. after confirming oil level I noted the sight glass still looked a bit brown ...let the bike warm up and checked cooling fan for proper cycling...Also noted that when the bike first started it puffed a bursts of vapor like smoke and then was fine... . Before panicking I decided to drain the oil...it came out as a milkshake...but the radiator level had not dropped and the coolant still looked clean. (there is hope). So next I filled the bike back up with 2 liters of used 10-60 and ran it for a couple of minutes then dropped the oil...it was still brownish but not as much. Filled again with used 10-60 and ran for 2 minutes and then dropped the oil...this time is was much more oil looking. put in 2 liters of slightly used but much cleaner 10-60....ran for 2 minutes and this came out looking good. Last time...added 2 liters of brand new clear amber clean 10-60 and ran the bike for a while. Oil in sight glass looks like it should, no more smoke puffs on startup, bike sounded smoother too.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:56 AM   #4052
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,329
I wonder if he changed out the original fuel filler? What year is the bike GezwindeSpoed?
Old 06-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #4053
blakrj
Need to ride

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by GezwindeSpoed View Post
Just back from Albania Rally 2012 on my almost stock 690 Enduro R. It was the toughest thing I have ever done, days of more tan 12hrs with only 4hrs of sleep. The 690 performed flawlessly, not missing a single beat. I am preparing a report with video footage so keep an eye on it.
Heck, I'm just curious as to what you did in the other 8 hours ;) looking forward to the report and video
www.airborneriders.com
blakrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:12 AM   #4054
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,674
I bought a used Meca System radiator guard for my '08 E.

The guard didn't come with installation instructions, and I'd like to install it correctly.

Does anyone have a copy of the installation instructions they could scan & email to me? Hit me with a PM for my email address.

Alternately, if anyone can describe how to install it, I'd appreciate that, too.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:25 AM   #4055
wino975
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
I bought a used Meca System radiator guard for my '08 E.

The guard didn't come with installation instructions, and I'd like to install it correctly.

Does anyone have a copy of the installation instructions they could scan & email to me? Hit me with a PM for my email address.

Alternately, if anyone can describe how to install it, I'd appreciate that, too.
I've the RR grid, but I think that the installation can be considered the same.
The grid it's held in place by two screw and two pin, very very simple
Only remember to put the spacers between the grid and the radiator
wino975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #4056
Bigbugberg
Meatbucket Supreme

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
last night I finished changing the oil filters, screens, and draining as much as the chocolate milkshake fluid out of the oil sump. I swapped in a new thermostat, added coolant, and fresh 10-60 oil and fired the bike up. after confirming oil level I noted the sight glass still looked a bit brown ...let the bike warm up and checked cooling fan for proper cycling...Also noted that when the bike first started it puffed a bursts of vapor like smoke and then was fine... . Before panicking I decided to drain the oil...it came out as a milkshake...but the radiator level had not dropped and the coolant still looked clean. (there is hope). So next I filled the bike back up with 2 liters of used 10-60 and ran it for a couple of minutes then dropped the oil...it was still brownish but not as much. Filled again with used 10-60 and ran for 2 minutes and then dropped the oil...this time is was much more oil looking. put in 2 liters of slightly used but much cleaner 10-60....ran for 2 minutes and this came out looking good. Last time...added 2 liters of brand new clear amber clean 10-60 and ran the bike for a while. Oil in sight glass looks like it should, no more smoke puffs on startup, bike sounded smoother too.
Maybe a bubble in the coolant? Allows the radiator level to stay high while dumping coolant? Now that the oil is clear, does the bike maintain normal temperature? Inquiring minds want to know!
Bigbugberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #4057
Michelangelo
2 wheel rider...anytime..

Oddometer: 1,746
Looking for a stainless steel shock collar for 2008 690R. The one KTM Twins makes doesn't work on the '08. Hoping somone else by now has made one for this bike.
Michelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #4058
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 848
Quote:
Oil in sight glass looks like it should, no more smoke puffs on startup, bike sounded smoother too.
Seems to me it's a classic case of gasket that started to fail ... Sometimes it seals (cold motor to warm and vice versa) sometimes it does not up to the point it will not seal all the time ...

The only other thing could be the pump seal. If you change the seal but not the shaft, a seal can wear up rapidly even on a slightly worn shaft ...

Quote:
Yep thats the one. You can pay $100 for the orange one with KTM written on it, or $80 for the green one with Twin Air printed on it, ...
I have both green one (with nothing printed on it) and a blakc one. It is easier to see if the filter is clean when its green.

That picture of you look strangly to mine. Except I have much shorter legs, and much bigger tail.

When you writte RC, you mean Renthal RC ??? I like the idea to start this with a high bar.

Paul Jr 8

Gros Buck screwed with this post 06-20-2012 at 06:24 PM
Gros Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:53 PM   #4059
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
Highway Dirt Bikes

HDB has a nice topclamp, hand guard, bar riser and turn signal set up. TheHDB system is top shelf, this is the second set I've purchased from Paul. He is in the process of fabbing a gauge protector as well for the older model 690's with the smaller gauge package.

Once i'm done I'll post some pics, but you can go to his website here

http://highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB_Shop/

Paul has deals over in the Vendors forum for ADVriders.

Garrett
Old 06-20-2012, 11:50 PM   #4060
GezwindeSpoed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Looking forward to reading your report! I was hoping to do this event but decided to do the MX1K instead. Great pics!
Here it is:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...7#post18958847

Hopefully finish it this weekend, editing the videos take a lot of time. Now fighting a corrupted mov file of the 2nd Special stage of day 4.

My bike is model 2009 bought in December 2008. After one year I got problems with fueling, turned out to be a blocked fuel filter. It was full of black particles (I think it was leftovers from the production of the tank). Changed it again after one year, but now it was clean. I still have the original filler without socks or whatever. Just made a triangle out of a old inner tube to cover the space between filler cap and neck and sealed the space of the filler neck with tape to prevent dirt from the rear wheel coming close to the filler neck.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:56 AM   #4061
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbugberg View Post
Maybe a bubble in the coolant? Allows the radiator level to stay high while dumping coolant? Now that the oil is clear, does the bike maintain normal temperature? Inquiring minds want to know!

#1 First thing I did was replace both the oil seal and water pump seal, the impeller, and the cover gasket.

#2 I am certain I no longer have a coolant into oil leak.

#3 The bike was full of emusified oil/coolant mix which is impossible to get out in one oil change....Hence the multiple changes. I am quite sure that I just had to flush the system...this is of course difficult because any moisture or slush left in the system readily mixes with the new oil.

#4 During all of my test running the bike maintained 10/12 bars wich is normal for idling on a hot day. The cooling fan cycled normaly as well.

#5 the exhaust is clean when running and not puffing on start up.

#6 I look forward to riding the old girl again

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:55 AM   #4062
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper

Oddometer: 2,306
How the hell can you guys let this thread drift off to the second page

Shame Shame Shame

TTT
wiswoodsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:59 AM   #4063
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett View Post
HDB has a nice topclamp, hand guard, bar riser and turn signal set up. ...
I can't find risers on that web site ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiswoodsguy View Post
How the hell can you guys let this thread drift off to the second page Shame Shame Shame TTT

We apologize ... and Crankshaft is on vacation ... Most probably Ged is in the process of fixing another broken leg ... Ricky is in an Malasian jungle with no wireless services ... et.c.

Quote:
#1 First thing I did was replace both the oil seal and water pump seal, the impeller, and the cover gasket.
I was on the impression you did that already a while ago and that the oil became brownish just very recently ...

Paul Jr 8
Old 06-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #4064
carnivorous
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Bluhduh Get your 2012 690 checked out....

Hi guys.

Just posted this on the UK KTM forum and thought I better post it here too....seems like the problem is quite common on MY12 bikes (not sure about the earlier ones).

Here we go:

So I have had my Enduro 690R a few weeks now, and have just hit the magic 600 miles. In those 600 miles, the throttle body assembly has detached itself from the back of the engine no less than three times.
Bike went in for the service today and I mentioned the issue only to be greeted by a vacant expression on the technician's face...
I then mentioned that I had spoken to KTM in Austria and this is a known calibration/software fault which can lead to mistimed sparks, pressure blowback and the throttle assembly being blown off the engine.
"I've checked the maps they're up to date, we'll just do the service."
So I spoke to KTM again...and was informed the issue is with the dealer's software (which should now be updated) and that the bike needs a full reset with the new parameters to sort out the TPS sensor settings and some other niggle.
KTM then had to ring the dealer direct and explain it to them....four hours later the update failed, they don't know how to get it to take the update and the bike now doesn't run at all.
I sat there all day to be sent home on a Kawasaki loan bike, after the dealer failed to sort out a fault that I had to inform them about and source the information on how to fix it in the first place. On top of that I really need MY bike tomorrow for work - not an ER-6n.
FUMING.
If you own a 690, get it updated. Although you might want to wait until the dealers have a frigging clue what they're doing!
carnivorous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:49 PM   #4065
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbugberg View Post
Just curious, with all the issues I've been having trying to get my leaking radiator fixed, how do you go about getting an air bubble out?
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote