Old 06-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #4246
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet View Post
Good idea. I've got some of this stuff laying around:

http://www.aeroflexusa.net/products/aerocel_sheet/

The closed cell foam of this product does not absorb water. And with temp range of (-)70F-(+)300F it should not be affected by engine temperature. I'll stick some to the interior of the plate too.
You are getting way more fancy that I went. I had some of that rubber mat used on the floors of a weight room laying around. It is probably made out of recycled tires.

I mostly use it for kneeling down on the floor while working on the bike. Well, now it is missing a corner....
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #4247
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
I have a G-it Skid plate and the Rally raid rally plate with integrated water carrier. I have to slightly modify the G-it plate so I can install it because I have drilled out the threaded mounts on the original engine hangars. I need to make a bracket that I can bolt to the bike which in turn mounts to the front of the skid plate instead of using the existing welded ears.
Hey, sell me the plate you dont want. After the classic, the hardparts plate is junk
Old 06-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #4248
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Hey, sell me the plate you dont want. After the classic, the hardparts plate is junk
I doubled it. I mean I unfolded it on a fresh 1/8 thick aluminum plate and welded it onto the OEM. I now have a double walled skid plate. Laminated kind of ... I also use a 1" urethane sheet between the skid and the motor base. No more reforging-the-plate each time I come back from a ride

Paul Jr 8
Old 06-28-2012, 08:13 PM   #4249
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by nippybit View Post
Pantah,

I am with you. I do not like the big front fuel tanks nor do I like hanging a Rotopax on the back either. I like the look of the bike as lean and mean and with its standard great handling characteristics.
I'm with you guys on that - lean & mean.
Thats why I ordered up the current RR twin tanks. They seem to be the leanest extra fuel set-up going. Way trimmer than a Safari tank IMO.

It will be interesting how trim the EVO 2 tanks turn out.
Gotta keep the front light for easy pulls ups.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:30 PM   #4250
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post
I'm with you guys on that - lean & mean.
Thats why I ordered up the current RR twin tanks. They seem to be the leanest extra fuel set-up going. Way trimmer than a Safari tank IMO.
It will be interesting how trim the EVO 2 tanks turn out.
Gotta keep the front light for easy pulls ups.
MA,
My profile isn't that elegant ....but weight is the front-end load-factor here....not profile. If the RR tanks hold as much as the Safari, then the profile is irrelevant, except to the fashion queens . So you wheelie hotshot riders....3 gallons is 3 gallons, no matter how much lipstick you put on the pig .

I have a Safari and am happy with it....aside from having to remove it to get to throttle body, injector, etc, it keeps me going the distance.

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:00 PM   #4251
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
....aside from having to remove it to get to throttle body, injector, etc,
I think I might have a solution for this. It does involve a dremel, cutting wheels and modifying the frame though (well, just the forward mounting tabs but, it is still the frame)

However, I just might have been doin a little too much of thisand thiswhile I was looking at my naked bike in the garage last night.

I need to take some measurements this weekend.

Uller screwed with this post 06-28-2012 at 09:12 PM
Old 06-28-2012, 09:13 PM   #4252
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,604
Quote:
MA,
My profile isn't that elegant ....but weight is the front-end load-factor here....not profile. If the RR tanks hold as much as the Safari, then the profile is irrelevant, except to the fashion queens . So you wheelie hotshot riders....3 gallons is 3 gallons, no matter how much lipstick you put on the pig .

I have a Safari and am happy with it....aside from having to remove it to get to throttle body, injector, etc, it keeps me going the distance.

I like the look of the RR tanks but they dont seem as robust as the safari and hold less gas. As Ged says the safari's are a bit of a pain when you want to get at the inards though. If I'm not going on long runs I only fill the rear tank so save carrying the extra weight. I dont have any problems lifting the front wheel in any case, thats why I like the 690...plenty of reserve grunt when you need it
Night Falcon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:09 PM   #4253
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
However, I just might have been doin a little too much of thisand thiswhile I was looking at my naked bike in the garage last night. I need to take some measurements this weekend.
Brad,
You have about three weeks to put that girl back together

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:36 PM   #4254
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Brad,
You have about three weeks to put that girl back together
I know.

I already told the GF that I'm spending all weekend in the garage with the 690. She isn't too pleased....
Old 06-29-2012, 04:20 AM   #4255
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,304
FI Code

Bike threw a code this morning, 1 long and 4 short. Manual says this is an ambient air pressure sensor. (signal to high or to low) Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this one?

2012 model with about 2000 km on the ODO.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:02 AM   #4256
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
So you wheelie hotshot riders ... 3 gallons is 3 gallons, no matter how much lipstick you put on the pig .
Yeah

But since I sleep with da pig, I insists it wears tons of lipstick, no matter what ... You know what they say ... My RR tanks look better then your Aussie's can ...

By the way, talking about pigs, we had a "potato" story this week end. I was riding with a friend. His bike jammed quite suddenly. When we put the bike back to vertical, look what we found ...

I guess tolerances on that pig has to be revisited ... How can such an heavy potato (at least 30 pounds loose rock actualy) could have wedged there ??? Those Aussie's tyres are something aggressive I presume ...

Paul Jr 8

Gros Buck screwed with this post 06-29-2012 at 02:38 PM
Gros Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:58 AM   #4257
Singletrack_mind
Cave Man

Oddometer: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute View Post
First make sure your handle bars are not pulling on the throttle cables when turned from side to side . Check the cable adjusters near the grip are adjusted right . Make sure the throttle cables are routed above the right front airbox mount & not below it . Ensure the cables are sitting properly in their seats at the throttle body ( make sure the outer cable sleeve hasn`t pulled & is sitting on the adjuster ) I got that fault code after having the throttle cables out & one wasn`t sitting right on start up .

Thanks for this advice, it hadn't occurred to me that the throttle CABLES could be triggering a sender fault, I will check them out. That could explain the 8 flashes, but . . . when you say you "got that fault code", were you getting the solid continuously lit FI lamp with the bike in gear? That's really the part that puzzles me, since that's not given as a possible error code in the manual . . .

But wait: Maybe the FI light lights up continuously when in gear just to tell you something's wrong, and flashes when you are in neutral (ie; have stopped to check) to communicate what it is? The manual doesn't lead me to believe this is how it's supposed to work but I could see the logic in it if so.
Singletrack_mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:30 AM   #4258
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
I like the look of the RR tanks but they dont seem as robust as the safari and hold less gas. As Ged says the safari's are a bit of a pain when you want to get at the inards though. If I'm not going on long runs I only fill the rear tank so save carrying the extra weight. I dont have any problems lifting the front wheel in any case, thats why I like the 690...plenty of reserve grunt when you need it

They hold about 1 gallon less than the Safari and are a lot more robust than you might think. I have tipped my bike over several times with them and wound the bike into a fence in Australia at high speed with them and they still hold fuel just fine. I find that under racing conditions (throttle pinned, 6th gear, 100 mph, on sand) the bike can still do 300km with a tuned fuel map. That is more than enough range for most events...and it goes even farther under normal throttle conditions (throttle pinned, 6th gear, 100 mph, on sand ).

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:50 AM   #4259
Noyah
poser

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmoto View Post
It looks very well made with good coverage. Since the bike is new to me I haven't bounced it off any rocks yet so I don't know how it will do.
The G-it is solid and can take a beating, mine is covered inside with rubber to reduce noice from engine bouncing back.

--> My Movies <--
Noyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:35 AM   #4260
Night Crawler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Barman - Xmoto trade

No update on the 690 for 950 trade? Have you guys had a chance to ride them both? Would like to know what you guys think. Any regrets? How does the 950 feel off road after being on the 690, and how is the 690 on the street after being on the 950? Would you own both if you could?
Night Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote