Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #4261
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by seth s View Post
i find that under racing conditions (throttle pinned, 6th gear, 100 mph, on sand) the bike can still do 300km with a tuned fuel map. That is more than enough range for most events...and it goes even farther under normal throttle conditions (throttle pinned, 6th gear, 100 mph, on sand ).

lol!!!!

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
wswartzwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:02 AM   #4262
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack_mind View Post

But wait: Maybe the FI light lights up continuously when in gear just to tell you something's wrong, and flashes when you are in neutral (ie; have stopped to check) to communicate what it is? The manual doesn't lead me to believe this is how it's supposed to work but I could see the logic in it if so.

That is how my 08 has always operated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljockey View Post
None of us are exceptionally skilled riders (excepting when I'm drunk, then I'm fcking quick).
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:49 AM   #4263
Xmoto
Death Race

Oddometer: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Crawler View Post
No update on the 690 for 950 trade? Have you guys had a chance to ride them both? Would like to know what you guys think. Any regrets? How does the 950 feel off road after being on the 690, and how is the 690 on the street after being on the 950? Would you own both if you could?
I have put a few hundred miles on the 690. Not as good on the road, but I knew that. Is and feels much lighter off road (class 4 roads so far). I never thought I would have a bike taller than the SE, but with the seat that's on the 690 it is. Thinking of different seat or lower link. Bike feels twitchy compared to the SE, damper on the way. I am happy, its a medium sized bike to fill the gap. Yes if I could have I would of kept both. The SE is just a bad ass bike.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #4264
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmoto View Post
I have put a few hundred miles on the 690. Not as good on the road, but I knew that. Is and feels much lighter off road (class 4 roads so far). I never thought I would have a bike taller than the SE, but with the seat that's on the 690 it is. Thinking of different seat or lower link. Bike feels twitchy compared to the SE, damper on the way. I am happy, its a medium sized bike to fill the gap. Yes if I could have I would of kept both. The SE is just a bad ass bike.

I found the SE wanted me to ride 60 mph on rough roads where the 690 is more around 40...mostly because I didn't realize I was opening the throttle so much on the bigger bike. The SE feels much heavier in the front end and the power is to be respected. The bigger bike feels a lot easier to ride on the highway...the extra mass and power means the bike just moves more easily down the road where the 690 feels like it is working all the time. The 690 still pulls fine in the 0-80 mph range but it is twitchier likely due to the less weight over the big bike.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:42 PM   #4265
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmoto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
I found the SE wanted me to ride 60 mph on rough roads where the 690 is more around 40...mostly because I didn't realize I was opening the throttle so much on the bigger bike. The SE feels much heavier in the front end and the power is to be respected. The bigger bike feels a lot easier to ride on the highway...the extra mass and power means the bike just moves more easily down the road where the 690 feels like it is working all the time. The 690 still pulls fine in the 0-80 mph range but it is twitchier likely due to the less weight over the big bike.
Yup, what they said.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #4266
Night Crawler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Wink

That is what I figured. The 950 is pretty much the perfect stable mate for the 690. Its probably a good thing I've never had the chance to ride one.
Night Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #4267
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
MA,
My profile isn't that elegant ....but weight is the front-end load-factor here....not profile. If the RR tanks hold as much as the Safari, then the profile is irrelevant, except to the fashion queens . So you wheelie hotshot riders....3 gallons is 3 gallons, no matter how much lipstick you put on the pig .

I have a Safari and am happy with it....aside from having to remove it to get to throttle body, injector, etc, it keeps me going the distance.

My point was not to antagonize you motoged.
With the RR twin tanks 200 miles should be done easily, good enough for me.
Your 'profile' is all your deal.
I believe the Safari carries 3.7 gallons? The RR twin tanks hold 2.5.
Potentially trimmer in weight & profile. With that said I haven't seen each side by side.
How about somebody measure the width of each?
Not a slam on your set-up in any way. I bet it works well for you.
My intention is to not carry so much weight up top, negating the fuel under seat nimbleness of a 320 lb bike.
Thats all.
Sounds dangerous.

Maxacceleration screwed with this post 06-29-2012 at 09:13 PM
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:27 PM   #4268
trizzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurfer View Post
I need to invest in a new seat for my 690, anyone have an old custom they want to get rid of? :)
ive got a slightly used sybian ill sell you that you can strap to that POS bike.....
trizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:34 PM   #4269
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
The SE wanted to go 60 off road with a blown shock? Seems remarkable
Old 06-30-2012, 09:56 AM   #4270
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post
My point was not to antagonize you motoged.
.....Not a slam on your set-up in any way. I bet it works well for you.

MA,
No worries....no harm done

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #4271
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,728
Came back from a two day ride yesterday and a radiator guard bolt has come out I will be doing the zip tie thing today - everytime I ride i come back with a lighter bike which is good I guess because i do feel her weight
Beer'o'clock Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #4272
mickd
crash test dummie

Oddometer: 1,860
the best thing you can do is...... have both so i did oh and a ktm300exc to round it off

I've just been to my first muslim birthday party. Musical chairs was a bit slow but F**k me, pass the parcel was bloody quick.
mickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:37 PM   #4273
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickd View Post
the best thing you can do is...... have both so i did oh and a ktm300exc to round it off
Yeah but the blue one is coming my way isnt it
Beer'o'clock Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:50 PM   #4274
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,761
Quote:
They hold about 1 gallon less than the Safari and are a lot more robust than you might think. I have tipped my bike over several times with them and wound the bike into a fence in Australia at high speed with them and they still hold fuel just fine. I find that under racing conditions (throttle pinned, 6th gear, 100 mph, on sand) the bike can still do 300km with a tuned fuel map. That is more than enough range for most events...and it goes even farther under normal throttle conditions (throttle pinned, 6th gear, 100 mph, on sand ).
the only reason for the robust comment was ive seen a few blokes on here with leak issues. Having said that if they were arround when I set my bike up I would have seriously looked at them. I dont race my bike (except at night when I'm thrashing Mark Coma for dakar honours ) but have hit the old fence, tree, drain, etc with only a few scratches which rub right out. The 450 klm i get from the safari is good for the adventure rides i do.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:48 AM   #4275
beaney
rally racer

Oddometer: 124
Rally Raid Evo 2 prototype

beaney screwed with this post 07-01-2012 at 05:50 AM
beaney is offline   Reply With Quote