Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2012, 03:30 AM   #4291
wino975
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
in the big thumpers, usually, the backfire is generated by the cam timings (the part of the combustion cycle where intake and exhaust valves are contemporary a bit open)
and off course a bit lean mixture.

Anyway my bike run great so no map modification
wino975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:53 AM   #4292
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by wino975 View Post
in the big thumpers, usually, the backfire is generated by the cam timings
plugging the sas helps w/ backfires too
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:58 AM   #4293
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,314
All of my fuel injected bikes start without any throttle. One is an R6 with a kit motor, a stock Yam wr250r, and my new 690. If I open the throttle, they struggle to start properly. My carbed bikes always required a little throttle. Ducati 900SS, KTM 950, and son's new KTM 200 smoker.

Possible warning of future issues?

As I've posted before, I plan on leaving my 690 stock in order to avoid the fueling issues posted here. With 1500 miles on it, I have started to have a few instances of sudden death syndrome around stop lights or heavy traffic with a hot motor. It fires right back up, but takes a couple seconds of cranking.

Also, I notice the idle is slightly unsteady sometimes. My other FI bikes are rock steady. Wierd...
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:33 AM   #4294
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer: 1,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueillusion10 View Post
Does anyone have a good way to get the second water pump seal out? Tried a seal puller but its a little to deep and there is nothing to grab.

Thanks,

Devon
Screw a self tapper or 2 into the seal . pry or pull on the self tappers .
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:12 AM   #4295
Maxacceleration
Awol

Oddometer: 2,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
All of my fuel injected bikes start without any throttle. One is an R6 with a kit motor, a stock Yam wr250r, and my new 690. If I open the throttle, they struggle to start properly. My carbed bikes always required a little throttle. Ducati 900SS, KTM 950, and son's new KTM 200 smoker.

As I've posted before, I plan on leaving my 690 stock in order to avoid the fueling issues posted here. With 1500 miles on it, I have started to have a few instances of sudden death syndrome around stop lights or heavy traffic with a hot motor. It fires right back up, but takes a couple seconds of cranking.

Also, I notice the idle is slightly unsteady sometimes. My other FI bikes are rock steady. Wierd...
Similar observance here and my FI bikes.
I do have the FMF Q4 & RR filter. I do have the '12 off road map and thurs my bike will be adjusted on low end with the sniffer.
I'll report back on that.
We call this motor a 'non race' motor, but it get raced in Dakar & such?
It has a huge piston and maybe overlapping open valves plus a powerband to die for (well at least lust for), meaning a probably aggressive cam.
I suppose the bike has a right to be finicky at times. Its in a high state of tune.
It it less finicky than my Aprilia RXV 450 I owned a couple of years back.
And we know hot start thumpers can be tough to start (sometimes requiring the hot start button or opening up the throttle).
Still the low end should be fairly even running so no die outs happen in traffic or going for that glorious hill climb or technical section...
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:25 AM   #4296
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
I don't think anyone was having backfire problems until the 2012 model...
my 2008 has never backfired in 11,000 miles....
KTM says the 2012 model has been tuned for better fuel mileage...
They obviously changed something...
and in the process, screwed the pooch as far as warm starts...
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:51 AM   #4297
tattewell
Mad Poser

Oddometer: 789
So I had a thermostat switch go bad on me (which I think was the thermo because the fan still works if i jump the wires).

So I order a replacement through a local KTM guy and get it installed... just to find out the brand new out of the box thermo is bad too... seriously are these things that flakey or is this just bad luck?
tattewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:15 AM   #4298
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattewell View Post
So I had a thermostat switch go bad on me (which I think was the thermo because the fan still works if i jump the wires).

So I order a replacement through a local KTM guy and get it installed... just to find out the brand new out of the box thermo is bad too... seriously are these things that flakey or is this just bad luck?
I guess bad luck but make sure something else is not frying the switch.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:01 AM   #4299
tattewell
Mad Poser

Oddometer: 789
I dont see what could? it s an closed circuit the opens when the heat goes up?
tattewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #4300
scholz
bush league

Oddometer: 54
keep on getting oil sucked into my airbox. Any suggestions to reduce this? My oil is filled to the upper sight glass mark (checked when motor hot).

Cheers.

scholz screwed with this post 07-03-2012 at 02:35 PM
scholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #4301
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post

Unfortunately, just as many stock set up bikes have had fueling issues. Because of the deleting of the original 690 thread, you just aren't aware of it.

Albie screwed with this post 07-03-2012 at 03:23 PM
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #4302
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINNY View Post
I don't think anyone was having backfire problems until the 2012 model...
my 2008 has never backfired in 11,000 miles....
KTM says the 2012 model has been tuned for better fuel mileage...
They obviously changed something...
and in the process, screwed the pooch as far as warm starts...
Well the displacement went up to 690cc from 654cc and the cam has changed. My early 2008 never had issues starting hot or cold as long as the fuel pump was working.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #4303
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by scholz View Post
keep on getting oil sucked into my airbox. Any suggestions to reduce this? My oil is filled to the upper sight glass mark (checked when motor hot).

Cheers.
I never fill mine more then half way in the sight glass when warmed up. Never get oil in the air box.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #4304
Heptad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Thermo switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattewell View Post

I kind of had the same problem. My thermo switch went out but the fan would run if jumped. I put a new thermo on. The first start up the fan turned on with 3 bars left. The next time the fan never turned on. Tried it again. The fan never turned on. So I put a new fan on. So I replaced the thermo switch and fan. It works fine now. The old fan still works if jumped but will not run with the new thermo. I have no idea but glad it works now.
Heptad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #4305
bcbullet
Breatheless

Oddometer: 615
Joined up!

Well, bit the bullet a few weeks ago and got a new 690 from VMS in Kelowna BC. Barry gave his usual excellent service and price...highly recommended!
Have put about 1200 KM's on the bike now and it has not missed a beat. Added a Wings pipe and DNA filter from Alternate Cycle in Kamloops. Dropped in on Kenny Darvin to pick them up personally and although I have not seen him since I bought a 500 MX Canam off of him in 1984, he has not changed a bit! (this is a compliment Kenny! Really!!) The bike runs a whole pile better than stock without so much as a remap. It will actually pull below 4000 RPM now!
The 690 has surpassed all expectations...did a 350 KM loop through Vidette Lake, Bridge Lake and back home through Green Lake on the weekend. Had the boss on the back and the complete ride was a pleasure. Now if only she could get on and off (at 5'0") without threatening to throw us both into the dirt (me at 5'8")!
I just wanted to say hello and am happy to be here. I am not sure I would be so charged up if I had gone with the DR650 my wallet was voting for!

Colin
bcbullet is online now   Reply With Quote