Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2012, 05:46 PM   #4381
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
Yeah, it is in there tight..... You just sometimes never know what stuff will do while being pounded through uneven terrain at 60 plus mph.

With the rear bolts only installed and the front rubber bungs between the tabs on the frame, the front of the airbox can't move side to side, it can't move forward/backward, it can only move up and down. With the front screws installed loosely like i have done, if I push/pull really hard I can get something close of 1/32 to 1/64 of movement only and this is very hard to do. I am completely comfortable with this being durable. I just wanted to warn people that I haven't fully tested this yet.

With the airbox gone, can you get to the sparkplug from the top? I'll look tonight.
I feel weird quoting myself...

Took a look and while it will be a challenge to pull the boot/wire off the spark plug from this angle it most definitely would be possible and the spark plug itself is definitley a 'Yes' as far as access goes.

Also, I had a light bulb go off while I was in the garage. My statement above mentions the only possible movement is in the up/down direction, I started thinking about some foam under the seat to just "snug stuff up" and .... I have a Corbin seat which has a custom seat pan. It actually has rubber bumpers which put pressure on the top of the air box already. You can see some of the round rub marks from them in some of my pics. My airbox is locked in and has all directions of movement stopped by something. I'm still going to leave my disclaimer above but, now feel really confident this is going to work very well.

Uller screwed with this post 07-05-2012 at 05:55 PM
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #4382
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Lukas, Thanks for the correction and additional info. Much appreciated. I am still learning most of this stuff and am all when it comes to the finer technical aspects . I'm more of Cliff notes kinda guy..... (I've never bought a cliff notes book though)
Collective reading here: http://www.shindengen.co.jp/product_...o/catalog.html

Paul Jr 8
Old 07-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #4383
gen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattewell View Post
I cant see this bike being tubeless, I have the KTM hardparts Behr rims on my 690 enduro, and they are not tubeless...
I'm pretty sure the 2012 SMC R rims are spoked tubeless rims.
DoD#1458 | GaijinRiders | 2010 KTM 690 Enduro
gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #4384
gen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
The tubeless spoked wheels were standard on the 2010+ models, Behr Saxxess.

They all need the upgraded tank bolts.

The 2012 suspension has 25mm less travel on the front, 15mm less on the back.
Muchas gracias! I'll look for a 2010 or 2011 then.
DoD#1458 | GaijinRiders | 2010 KTM 690 Enduro
gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:35 PM   #4385
Oz-Strom
Still trying

Oddometer: 724
wiring heated grips

Is it OK to wire heated grips to the accessory wire behind the headlight cowl? I already have a pair of LEDS and an accessory power outlet wired to that wire. Or is it OK to wire the grips to the low beam power wire?

Thanks
Old 07-05-2012, 09:55 PM   #4386
dirtbikeslob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pundy View Post
Anyone out there who uses something like a Giant Loop bag have any issues with the heel guard failing while using it as a tie point for your luggage? They seem a little flimsy to me. Thoughts?
i have used my greatloop type strapped to the plastic heel guards,with out a problem,they flex outwards a bit,but seem to handle it ok.
dirtbikeslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:30 AM   #4387
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck View Post
I used rubber condoms to plug my stuff...Paul Jr
Paul,
Have you seen a doctor about that yet ???

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:48 AM   #4388
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Anyone out there who uses something like a Giant Loop bag have any issues with the heel guard failing while using it as a tie point for your luggage? They seem a little flimsy to me. Thoughts?
I have used that plastic piece as a lash point for my Coyote bag for over 4,000 kms of offroad and it has shown no signs of wear or fatigue. I have a heavy duty bungee cord hook I scavenged from a Walmart bungee (that looks more like this: ... and made a loop in the webbing at the hook base and passed the Coyote strap through that....

and NOT these wimpy ones:

:

I noticed BobZ and his gang simply tied a small gauge bit of climbing rope through the hole in that heel piece so it was a 4" long loop ....and then used a carabiner to loop the Coyote strap through.....much simpler than my method

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:14 AM   #4389
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
Paul, Have you seen a doctor about that yet ???
Oups. After a second reading, it sounds quite different to what I had in mind when I wrote it ...

But do you have a clue of what I really meant ??? Or should I rephrase it ???

Paul Jr 8
Old 07-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #4390
motokeith
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
I took the pegs off the passenger brackets and put the pivot pins back in the brackets. Makes for a very nice place to attach the GL lower straps.

motokeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #4391
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz-Strom View Post
Is it OK to wire heated grips to the accessory wire behind the headlight cowl? I already have a pair of LEDS and an accessory power outlet wired to that wire. Or is it OK to wire the grips to the low beam power wire?

Thanks

I have LEDs, accessory plug (for GPS) and Heated grips installed on the SWITCHED accessory wire. It is 10 Amp fused. I wouldn't wire your grips into the low beam wire. That sounds like a bad idea.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:04 PM   #4392
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,451
Found the casue of my flashing error code!! Both wires going into the temp sensor snaped off right at the base of the connector . Before i attempt to pull it apart, has any one else managed to sucessfully reconnect the wires back to the connector?

Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:26 PM   #4393
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
Found the casue of my flashing error code!! Both wires going into the temp sensor snaped off right at the base of the connector . Before i attempt to pull it apart, has any one else managed to sucessfully reconnect the wires back to the connector?
It depends on what you mean by "reconnect".

Two ways I could think to fix it. Both involve first removing the pins that are inside the connector. You could try to pry them (the tabs on the pins) back open and recrimp and solder them to freshly stripped wire. A couple times I have had success with this but, just as many times it doesn't work.

Your best bet is to find the type of connector it is and what type/size of pins it uses and purchase some new ones. Then crimp those on and reassemble the connector. Good as new.

Source of some connectors/pins: http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/El...-MT/sm-mt.html
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:59 PM   #4394
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,451
Quote:
It depends on what you mean by "reconnect".

Two ways I could think to fix it. Both involve first removing the pins that are inside the connector. You could try to pry them (the tabs on the pins) back open and recrimp and solder them to freshly stripped wire. A couple times I have had success with this but, just as many times it doesn't work.

Your best bet is to find the type of connector it is and what type/size of pins it uses and purchase some new ones. Then crimp those on and reassemble the connector. Good as new.

Source of some connectors/pins: http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/El...-MT/sm-mt.html
Cheers Uller
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:37 AM   #4395
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer: 1,005
Quote:
I feel weird quoting myself...

Took a look and while it will be a challenge to pull the boot/wire off the spark plug from this angle it most definitely would be possible and the spark plug itself is definitley a 'Yes' as far as access goes.

Also, I had a light bulb go off while I was in the garage. My statement above mentions the only possible movement is in the up/down direction, I started thinking about some foam under the seat to just "snug stuff up" and .... I have a Corbin seat which has a custom seat pan. It actually has rubber bumpers which put pressure on the top of the air box already. You can see some of the round rub marks from them in some of my pics. My airbox is locked in and has all directions of movement stopped by something. I'm still going to leave my disclaimer above but, now feel really confident this is going to work very well.
Good news , thats gotta save a lotta time on the side of the track.
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote