User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #4426
Hooked
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Hard starting

I have been noticing my 08 (20,000 Kms) getting harder to start when I first fire it up after sitting over night or all day. Spark plug has about 6000kms,
valves have been done recently and that was no help,
tried different brands of fuel no different
even replaced the battery with a Shorai but it still starts hard! Any one able to shed some advice on a fix?
It usually starts very easy.
Hooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:27 PM   #4427
Heptad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Led turn signals

I need help with installing led turn signals. Anyone install these? Says to cut the purple and black wires coming from indicator light. It is part of the wire harness. Should I do this?
Heptad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #4428
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,515
On the back, the turn signals have *very* long leads. They actually connect into the wiring harness up near the battery. The fronts are a bit more typical. Yes, cut the leads off and solder them to the new signals. I recommend staggering the splices so they can still fit through the mounting holes.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #4429
Aanarchy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heptad View Post
I need help with installing led turn signals. Anyone install these? Says to cut the purple and black wires coming from indicator light. It is part of the wire harness. Should I do this?
I don't know what kind of LEDs you have, but I installed the sicass racing flush mount rear signals and sicass front signals and there was no cutting or splicing on either. It's "plug & play". A plastic quick connect plug joins wires from the signals to the harness both front and rear.

The instructions talked about cutting and splicing and all that shit, but it wasn't necessary. Front signals required buying the sicass relay to replace the stock one to make them flash properly. I'm a mechanical dweeb and an electrical retard and I figured it out.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:52 PM   #4430
nippybit
Nippybit

Oddometer: 92
Fuel Injection Cleaner May Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
I have been noticing my 08 (20,000 Kms) getting harder to start when I first fire it up after sitting over night or all day. Spark plug has about 6000kms,
even replaced the battery with a Shorai but it still starts hard! Any one able to shed some advice on a fix?
Before tearing into the fuel tank for fuel filter replacement or other more complicated diagnostics and fixes try some fuel injection cleaner. Sounds simple and it may work. Another suggestion that has worked for some here is to check the tightness of the battery connections. I will let others here do the heavy lifting if neither of these suggestions help given what you have already tried.

Hope this helps.
Watch this space as I am about to say something really prophetic!
nippybit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #4431
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pundy View Post
Anyone out there who uses something like a Giant Loop bag have any issues with the heel guard failing while using it as a tie point for your luggage? They seem a little flimsy to me. Thoughts?

I have a set of these on my 690 and strap my GL and other things to them frequently. ~$80

Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:31 PM   #4432
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heptad View Post
the plugs are available on Digikey pretty inexpensively..... I will have to dig for the PN or URL reference. otherwise clip and splice from the OEM signals
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:59 PM   #4433
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
I am watching this one, I have some storey with 10 000km on my 08, done servce, osne valves, cgecked TPS, and mapping ,checked auto decompress lever etc, running out of option, new plug , checked the gap.
777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:11 AM   #4434
wino975
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 View Post
I am watching this one, I have some storey with 10 000km on my 08, done servce, osne valves, cgecked TPS, and mapping ,checked auto decompress lever etc, running out of option, new plug , checked the gap.
check also the coil and the spark plug cable
wino975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:34 AM   #4435
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aanarchy View Post
Front signals required buying the sicass relay to replace the stock one to make them flash properly. I'm a mechanical dweeb and an electrical retard and I figured it out.
my back signals were destroyed so i thought i could replace with the sicass leds but they dont blink right until i get the relay. Do i have to get new front leds also to make it work right? if so they will be $14 ebay specials
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:48 AM   #4436
empedrado
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 View Post

I have struggled with erratic idling, stalling and hesitation at lights. The bike runs great otherwise. Yesterday I built a little tool to clean the injector as I have exhausted everything else. Going to clean the injector today for a ride I am going on the next day. Got my fingers crossed.
empedrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:27 AM   #4437
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by empedrado View Post
I have struggled with erratic idling, stalling and hesitation at lights. The bike runs great otherwise. Yesterday I built a little tool to clean the injector as I have exhausted everything else. Going to clean the injector today for a ride I am going on the next day. Got my fingers crossed.
Keep us posted
777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:47 AM   #4438
Aanarchy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock View Post
my back signals were destroyed so i thought i could replace with the sicass leds but they dont blink right until i get the relay. Do i have to get new front leds also to make it work right? if so they will be $14 ebay specials
My rear signals worked fine wiithout the relay. Then I added the front signals nothing would flash until I plugged in the relay. Then all was fine.

There were two relay options from sicass - $$ and $. I got the $ and it worked. Don't remember exact price, but it was minimal.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #4439
Aanarchy
Beastly Adventurer

Gearing - 14 x 48?

This may be a simpleton question in a thread with so many advanced topics but I need to ask -

Stock gearing was 15 x 45. All the threads I could find on gearing said 15 x 48 was the trick. I'm running a 14 x 45 and thinking about going to a 48 on the rear with the 14 front. Any comments? Anyone have this combo?
Old 07-11-2012, 09:16 AM   #4440
RickA
Fat Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Gearing Ratios

Hi all,

Stock gearing of 15-45 gives you a 1:3.00 ratio, 14-45 gives you 1:3.21 and 14:48 gives you 1:3.43 - a lot lower ratio.

Do you need to go down that far? You are also adding 3 links therefore a new chain.

I run 14-45 and find it a good all-round compromise with std chain length being an additional bonus.

Hope that helps!

Cheers, Rick.
RickA is offline   Reply With Quote