Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2012, 07:29 PM   #4471
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Are you sure about that?

Dang your a big boy Aaron! You need to do a photoshoot with the freeride!

Whose the other guy here who bends his knees 30 deg while flat footing the 690? Is that letter J?

C
rickypanecatyl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #4472
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmmitch View Post
We have built 5 2012 690 Enduro R Rally-Raid Adventure conversions so far,but the last bike blew the throttle body off after 20 miles,and there have been a few cases of this problem in the UK.This is not something we have seen since the 690 Enduro was launched in 08.
Mines an '08 with 26K miles on it. Like I said, 1st time this has happened. I'd just filled up with gas, as I left the gas station and turned a corner, I rolled on the throttle and it backfired.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #4473
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 1,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post

Dang your a big boy Aaron! You need to do a photoshoot with the freeride!

Whose the other guy here who bends his knees 30 deg while flat footing the 690? Is that letter J?

C

The Letter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:35 AM   #4474
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post

I look like that......................... on a PW 50!

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:59 PM   #4475
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 14,005
This is me running a full size BackHoe......

Old 07-14-2012, 04:06 PM   #4476
mickd
crash test dummie

Oddometer: 1,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
So, today for the first time I got a big backfire on my 690. Immediately died and wouldn't start. i knew right away what the problem was since it has been talked about here recently. Blew off the boot on the throttle body. Just wanted to say thanks to you 690 "whiners" for keeping me from sweating my ass off today and making short work of getting my bike back up and running.
hi all
can anyone put up a link or pic so i know what to look for if it happens to me

thanks mickd

I've just been to my first muslim birthday party. Musical chairs was a bit slow but F**k me, pass the parcel was bloody quick.
mickd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:15 PM   #4477
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
This is me running a full size BackHoe......

Full size backoe ??? How did you get into that ??? I presume the cabin was bolted on afterward ??? Your wife complained you destroyed half of the backyard just to have some fun ???

By the way how's Seth with his fuel pump project ???

Paul Jr

Gros Buck screwed with this post 07-14-2012 at 07:55 PM
Gros Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:42 PM   #4478
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 848
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickd View Post
hi all can anyone put up a link or pic so i know what to look for if it happens to me thanks mickd
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9MCQA3JhxA&feature=plcp

Look at the rubber mountings on this picture. It is deformed because the air box is pushed backward.

The rubber boot is out here,

I show here how I rerouted both radiator hoses. That way, they cannot push the air box backward. There's a cable cluster that could also interfere. I have re-routed it too. (Not shown) The way it is now, chances are that if a backfire happens the air box would go back into position.

And here:

Paul Jr 8

Gros Buck screwed with this post 07-14-2012 at 08:03 PM
Gros Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #4479
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,323
Uh, oh. I'm not seeing the photos.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:16 AM   #4480
Hrspwr Hero
wipe off 50 or.....

Oddometer: 79
Lovin the 690

Surely these have got to be the best alround adventure bike!!
Had it for a month so far and am deep into the mods
So far got the rally raid tank bolts, bash plate, pannier rack and safari tank (which took alot of swearing in order to fit).
Today was very wet and with plenty of clay which was more like an ice rink, especially with a worn set of Twinduros!
Its still fairly manageable in the really slippy crap (only had the ass end overtake the front once) .
Cant imagine trying to manage a 990 or similar on that surface. I couldn't even stand up on some of the clay it was so bad.
Then get into some twist pavement on the way home and its still a blast to ride.
Safe to say I'm very happy with the purchase so far.
Hrspwr Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:51 AM   #4481
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,694
Backfires and Wobbles

My 2012 did suffer a few backfires resulting in the TB being pushed back and in one case popped off. Not a huge deal to get back on but sucking dirt directly into you engine would ..blow..suck... whatever I was more concerned that this would be an issue with a after market pipe (FMF). Added the Akro map and added 2% fuel pretty much across the board to achieve a pretty good tune. No more backfires.

Wobbles, whole bike would wobble at hwy speeds, particularly under acceleration. Seemed to come and go but as the rear tire wore out it was getting worse. I was due for a new rear and replaced it which solved the wobble problem. Seems either the bikes geometry changes enough with a sorter rear tire to affect handling at hwy speed or the outer lugs of the tire start contacting the pavement and cause the bike to wobble. I know this was an often discussed issue so offer up my two cents, replace the rear if it is worn and you have wobbles.

Still need to work on the hesitation between 4-5000 rpm, most noticeable in 5th and 6th gear when I roll onto the throttle hard. More tuning and testing to follow.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:40 AM   #4482
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post

Still need to work on the hesitation between 4-5000 rpm, most noticeable in 5th and 6th gear when I roll onto the throttle hard. More tuning and testing to follow.
on my 08 i added 4 degrees of advance b/w 35 and 7500 in the top 2 rows on the advice of the tuneboy designer dude. This smoothed the bike out. I presume vortex has some advance built in also
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:10 AM   #4483
Czechie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Alternative front forks

Hi guys,
has any of you tried to fit other front forks or done any front suspension improvements? I know 690 is a good bike but I would like to improve it a bit more. I have seen the rally replica forks fitted in but my worry is when I put there somenting else, usually the fork lenght is different and the engine angle / position will be different too which to me is not optimal. The alternative could also be to replace the inner parts and leave the shelf as it is (if even possible).

Keen on hearing suggestiongs and recommendations.
Cheers.
David
Czechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:14 AM   #4484
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock View Post
on my 08 i added 4 degrees of advance b/w 35 and 7500 in the top 2 rows on the advice of the tuneboy designer dude. This smoothed the bike out. I presume vortex has some advance built in also
A little shy about messing with the timing. Making small changes, rather my friend is as he is the one with the know how and I am learning as we go. May end up having to make some timing adjustments but really want to proceed in small steps as I'd hate to ruin a new motor. We'll get there eventually. I have to say his 2011 has noticeably better fueling and throttle response than my 2012. More tuning after I get me Uni filter.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:18 AM   #4485
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechie View Post
Hi guys,
has any of you tried to fit other front forks or done any front suspension improvements? I know 690 is a good bike but I would like to improve it a bit more. I have seen the rally replica forks fitted in but my worry is when I put there somenting else, usually the fork lenght is different and the engine angle / position will be different too which to me is not optimal. The alternative could also be to replace the inner parts and leave the shelf as it is (if even possible).

Keen on hearing suggestiongs and recommendations.
Cheers.
David

Swap out the spring or go with a different weight oil? Change some valving? Not something I know much about but know of those who have had significant improvements with subtle changes to the existing forks. What are you trying to achieve, what is the problem you are having or what improvement are you looking for?