Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #4516
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck View Post
Use Firefox 13.0 or later, or Internet explorer 9 or later. It think you need Java installed. Some link I posted requires it.

Paul Jr
The links don't work for me, too.
One of the image links is:
If I follow the link to view the image, I get an error page from rideaventure.ca.
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:51 PM   #4517
goosecreek
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,203
I have the nicest 08 690e in the world fuel pump went out today while on a ride with a friend. We stopped by my house for a few minutes then started up pulled off and it died in less than 25 feet.
So do I get the ca cycle pump or the oem?
The bike has 12k on it with the only problem being a few flat tires. It has never been more than 4 feet off the ground and spends most of its time on gravel or light single track. I still love it.
goosecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #4518
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 864
ca cycle pump
cant say enough about the customer service there
and the pumps they are shipping now have the barb outlet
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:14 AM   #4519
goosecreek
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,203
I thought that would be the answer but I had to ask. Thanks Bob.
goosecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:22 AM   #4520
Biped
NooB Again

Oddometer: 223
I had a similar situation, '08 with 11k miles, pump quite as I was loading the bike onto the truck. Get the CACycleworks pump, and while you are in there relocate to the external fuel filter in place of the quick-connect, NAPA 3095, Fram G3606. You will need to buy some 5/16 fuel injection hose clamps for the filter, the pump should come with clamps. I used the CACyc supplied fuel line to connect the pump directly to the barb on the coupling inside the tank. Less than an hours work, runs great now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosecreek View Post
I have the nicest 08 690e in the world fuel pump went out today while on a ride with a friend. We stopped by my house for a few minutes then started up pulled off and it died in less than 25 feet.
So do I get the ca cycle pump or the oem?
The bike has 12k on it with the only problem being a few flat tires. It has never been more than 4 feet off the ground and spends most of its time on gravel or light single track. I still love it.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #4521
andykeck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Bong View Post
I'm not so much a quantity guy as I'm a quality guy. The power characteristics feel much better. 10 Maps pretty much guarantee that you'll find one that suits your ability, personality and mood.

I detested the requirement to continuously do adaptive resets when it would start flaming out because the pressure dropped.

The fact that the Throttle ECI is dumped, means that your wrist directly affects your rate of power change.

As for Tune ECU - Well, if it makes you happy not to spend money on your bike, that's cool with me.
For what it's worth, I'm gonna be selling my Vortex, recently reflashed with the newest maps as of a month ago. I no longer have the bike, so it's an expensive yellow paperweight right now. Probably gonna list it here tonight, if I remember. PM with questions?
andykeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #4522
nippybit
Nippybit

Oddometer: 92
Wobbles/Twitchiness--Could It Be This Simple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off-Road-Adventures View Post
My 2012 690 R wobbles, she is very twitchy. Can anyone tell me if the 2012 has an adjustable triple clamp? I'd like to increase the trail. She still has the standard tyes. Doesn't matter what suspension settings I use, she is really twitchy.
A local rider, who bought a 2012, came by my house to show me the new bike and was complaining about wobbles at freeway speeds. He had already put about 200 miles on it and, while loving on the bike, complained about wobbles and twitchiness. First of all, his tires were not balanced and secondly, I checked his tire pressure and he had 44 psi in both the front and the rear. This must have created contact patches front and rear of 1/8th of an inch each! Apparently the dealer did this and he just thought he had the correct pressure. Most of his wobbles disappeared after airing down the tires. Absent other issues, balancing should correct the rest.

Hope this helps.
Watch this space as I am about to say something really prophetic!
nippybit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #4523
dunefreak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by nippybit View Post
A local rider, who bought a 2012, came by my house to show me the new bike and was complaining about wobbles at freeway speeds. He had already put about 200 miles on it and, while loving on the bike, complained about wobbles and twitchiness. First of all, his tires were not balanced and secondly, I checked his tire pressure and he had 44 psi in both the front and the rear. This must have created contact patches front and rear of 1/8th of an inch each! Apparently the dealer did this and he just thought he had the correct pressure. Most of his wobbles disappeared after airing down the tires. Absent other issues, balancing should correct the rest.

Hope this helps.
Hey Tom, it's me. lol It seemed to correct the issue at first, but it didn't. The problem lies in the geometry of the rake with the bike. It only does it on certain stretches of highway where there are grooves in the road. I am convinced a steering stabilizer is almost required on this bike to rid it's twitchiness and highway wobbles. It has nothing to do with tire balance as I have changed tires and have them balanced perfectly and it still wobbles on those parts of the highway with those rain grooves.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:11 PM   #4524
blakrj
Need to ride

Oddometer: 187
Just covered over 5,000kms through Europe on roads from German Autobahns to pothole ridden Eastern European back roads on Heidenau K60 Scouts. They are not balanced. Bike ran as smooth as normal. Top speed I ran was around 150kmh, and covered over 800km in one stretch (aside from fuel stops).

However, Day 2 was filled with stops and running repairs. Above 100kmh, bike spluttered and caughed until it eventually died. Guessed it was the earth of the coil on the RR relocating bracket. Cleaned it up with some granite stone (no alternative) and got back on the road again. Bike ran great for a while, the back to same. This carried on for a total of 4 times. 4th time I clamped a piece of electical wire between a washer, coil and bolted back in place. Fixed. Next 3,000km without a single issue. What we could probably deduce from all the fixes, is that the rivnuts used on the RR bracket were/are the cause. Also, there is no certainty that the rivnuts really carrying full current as they rely on being pushed up against the bracket. Due to how they work, the actual contact area with the earth on the coil is vastly reduced.

I'd suggest losing the rivnuts and using ordinary nuts and bolts. What I will be doing is making up a dedicated earth lead complete with crimped connectors to bypass the whole problem.
www.airborneriders.com
blakrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:22 PM   #4525
Czechie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
I have a set of 300mm travel closed cartridge forks off of a ktm 505 on my 690. I had .52kg/mm springs installed along with a revalve to suit desert/GP riding by ESP suspension in SoCal. The fork tubes are slid up 28mm above the top triple clamp to get the rake back where it is supposed to be and my tire can just barely leave a rub mark on the front fender at full compression. I had to grind/file/drill/tap the lower left axle lug to accomodate the factory 690 speedo sensor but that was all that had to be modified to make them bolt in. I sold the stock 690R forks to offset the majority of the cost of the swap.

The new forks do everything better, more compliant on smaller chop without the side effect of rapid brake dive, along with FAR superior bottoming resistance on the big/unexpected hits. I would change nothing on the forks now as they work even better than my worked over closed cartridge Showa's did on my last 450! The rear suspension seems to be what is holding the bike back, I've had the internals modified to get 285mm travel along with a revalve by a reputable WP tuner which is now waaaayyy better than it was stock, but it still isn't spot on. I may go up 1 more spring rate (currently have a 90nm/mm) and send the shock back to have more valving added to the compression stack.

Depending on what you are after, any fork could benefit from a proper revalve to suit your specific riding style, so there isn't really anything out there that will just bolt in and be spot on for your needs. That being said, it may be worth simply having your existing open chamber forks revalved or even have the dampening rods/bottoming cones swapped to exc parts to get 300mm travel (complte exc forks will also be 100% bolt on including speedo sensor, but will most likely require stiffer springs) without having to purchase new forks. Keep in mind that 275mm of well tuned travel will work much better than 300mm of ill-tuned travel so you may not care to spend the additional $$$ to gain 1" of travel. If most of your riding is rocks/roots/4x4 trails, I would suggest staying with the open chamber forks as the benefits of the CC forks probably would not offset the cost in that application. But if you are regularly catching big air or hammering through the whoops, the closed cartridge forks would be the prefered setup IMO.

Look for closed cartridge (or closed chamber/ twin chamber/ CC) forks from a 2007 or newer KTM sx/sx-f/xc-f 125cc+ bikes (supposedly the 2009+ are better but I'm not sure what is different) the forks are easily recognized by the 50mm hex on the top cap along with the comp/reb adjusters being at opposite ends of the tubes compared to the open chamber forks found on the 690 and exc models. These will at a minimum require stiffer springs to suit the 690.
Thanks buddy, that was a thorough recommendation. I am 190cm tall with 95 kg so when I happen to have a chance to enjoy some of the european navigation rallies, when you have to try to keep it at highest possible speed on all surfices (mostly rocky, bumby, gravel roads), I feel it does not work properly. I tried a few other bikes (not different 690 though), e.g. some 5+yrs old MX Honda and it was like swaping hyundai for ferrari . My friend has customised forks on 450EXC and it is at least 2 classes betther suspension. I dont do any big jumps but I have a feeling that almost anything is better than mine. I have already got the local experts to look at it but apart from changing the oil and playing and replacing the the genium parts, nothing else has been taken from other type of bikes or set ups. I know it makes a huge difference if you get your suspension properly set up so I am trying to explor the options and here are the best advisors.

Will you have any pictures or your set up? cheers.
D
Czechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #4526
Michelangelo
2 wheel rider...anytime..

Oddometer: 1,592
Rear shock preload adjuster:

Does anyone know if any other model rear shock wrenches for adjusting the preload collar will work on the 2008 690E?
Old 07-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #4527
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
Has anyone beefed up the chain guide mount on the swingarm? I think I am going to get some triangles welded into place to connect the tabs to the swingarm better. Pics will follow in a few weeks.

Thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
That's a weak spot on all KTM singles unfortunately. Somebody mentioned that they used a Bulletproof Designs 125-530 guard, but had to butcher it significantly to get it to fit.

Isn't there a 690 rider close to Harrisonville MO? I bet BPD would be interested in making a run of these guards if they can get their hands on a 690. Nate and the guys are a great bunch and make some of the best dirt bike protection products around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
That is exactly what the BPD guard does, it simply reinforces and protects the swingarm tabs from breaking off - really bulletproof IMO.

You can use it with the stock or aftermarket chain guides.

Well, I just got done installing a TM Designs Chain Guide on my 690 and had truely buggered up my forward mounting tab. A rock hit directly on the forward mounting bolt bending it rearward and fracturing the mounting tab in half. (Almost the exact same failure as the first pic in the post above.) Luckily the forward half is intact.

I am a cheap ass when it comes to others working on my bike for me so, I decided to go the cheap, easy route and used a liberal amount of JB Weld to reattach the broken tab and beef the area up. I am now back to whole however, the tab is even weaker now and I am even more so interested in properly protecting this area.

So, this weekend I contacted Bulletproof Designs and asked them about a swingarm guard for the 690. I receive a response today from Nate that they will look into it and get back to me.

Fingers Crossed that it is an easy change from an existing part and they will soon start offering these for the 690 swingarm too.
Uller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #4528
Okieboy2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
Well, I just got done installing a TM Designs Chain Guide on my 690 and had truely buggered up my forward mounting tab. A rock hit directly on the forward mounting bolt bending it rearward and fracturing the mounting tab in half. (Almost the exact same failure as the first pic in the post above.) Luckily the forward half is intact.

I am a cheap ass when it comes to others working on my bike for me so, I decided to go the cheap, easy route and used a liberal amount of JB Weld to reattach the broken tab and beef the area up. I am now back to whole however, the tab is even weaker now and I am even more so interested in properly protecting this area.

So, this weekend I contacted Bulletproof Designs and asked them about a swingarm guard for the 690. I receive a response today from Nate that they will look into it and get back to me.

Fingers Crossed that it is an easy change from an existing part and they will soon start offering these for the 690 swingarm too.
I contacted them several months ago asking the same thing and got the same response. Maybe if enough of us 690 owners contact them they will start making some.
Okieboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:24 PM   #4529
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okieboy2 View Post
I contacted them several months ago asking the same thing and got the same response. Maybe if enough of us 690 owners contact them they will start making some.
Good. That is why I let everyone know...... A few back to back calls/emails always help convince people that there is interest.

I sent them a link to this thread. How many of you out there would be interested in one of their swingarm guards? If so, give them a shout @ sales@bulletproofdesigns.com

The Swingarm Guard for the 450-500 bikes is $50.00 plus tax/shipping. A new swingarm is $797.99 @ KTMTwins.

Uller screwed with this post 07-16-2012 at 03:54 PM
Uller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #4530
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 994
I could probably go for one. Always good to try and make the 690 as durable as possible.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote