Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2012, 12:38 AM   #4636
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer: 1,005
You`ve done a lot of ground work there Numbutt . Be careful , looks like an Eagle Ray is trying to tow your car away .
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:41 AM   #4637
Evil Invader
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet View Post
Pictures and text are OK now. Thanks. Some very interesting stuff going on here. Keep up the good work.
+1

M Motoadventures
Evil Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:38 AM   #4638
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbutt View Post
Interesting experimental set-up.

Paul Jr
Old 07-22-2012, 11:46 AM   #4639
alongat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
When we had the bike in pieces, I took a look infront of the airbox. I couldn't see any connectors or wires that were pushing on the airbox.
The TB was pushed out by a backfire, though it really did sounded like a loud "pop" rather than a normal backfire.
The bike is dead stock, with about 1000KM. So it might be a lean mixture straight from the factory. I can't really tell.
Luckily I have another friend with a brand new 2012, so I'll probably get another chance to check it.
I had a similar sounding issue a few weeks ago with my 2008 Enduro. This problem (stalling after anywhere between 5 - 60 seconds) and hard starting occurred right after I gave the bike a good thorough wash with some of the body panels off so I can clean it up underneath stuff. I posted the issue and as a result of a suggestion, I checked the spark plug wire and plug cap. It turned out that I had a small crack in it that let water in. After drying it off, dousing it with brake parts cleaner, siliconing the crack and then installing it, the problem has gone away permanently. I don't know if you've checked yours but with the intense heat of Israel and these bikes, cracking in plastic and even rubber could very well be the culprit.

By the way, I am going to be in Israel in December and would love to do a bit of a tour on bikes. Do you know of any places that rent Enduro bikes? I will be centred primarily in Herzelyiah Pituach / Petah Tikvah but also heading south to Eilat and I can get my family to fly there while I ride down...

And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #4640
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,188
Anyone seen this happen yet? If so, what was the cause? Mine, on the way home today...

BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:31 PM   #4641
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
Anyone seen this happen yet? If so, what was the cause? Mine, on the way home today...

Ouch! What are you doing to that poor bike Fran?
Looks like a clutch issue though , shouldn't be a difficult fix, just going to need a bunch of parts.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:22 PM   #4642
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post

That's a new one... was the clutch acting up before that happened? Perhaps making strange rattling noises like a fragment of something was circulating around in there? Luckily it is really easy to pull the cover off and I'm sure the cause will show itself once you do so. The cover is about $150 though and at least another $150 for a new EBC clutch.
The Letter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #4643
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
That's a new one... was the clutch acting up before that happened? Perhaps making strange rattling noises like a fragment of something was circulating around in there? Luckily it is really easy to pull the cover off and I'm sure the cause will show itself once you do so. The cover is about $150 though and at least another $150 for a new EBC clutch.

Not sure exactly what happened yet. Definitely from the inside out. I'm not digging into it until I call the dealer on tuesday to see if I still have extended warranty coverage, or if it ran out 2 weeks ago...

My suspicion is that one of the plates broke in a way that it could partially come out of the basket, or one of the fingers on the basket got bent somehow, and wore through as it rotated..

I'm relieved to hear that the cover is not that expensive, I was expecting much more.

The clutch started acting up a few miles earlier, I stopped, let it cool down a bit and tried to nurse it home. There was a bit of a squeaking noise happening most of the day, but I could not narrow down where it was coming from. I thought I might be in need of a new throw out bearing.
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:09 PM   #4644
motokeith
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Rally Raid tanks installed

Have been considering the RR tank kit for a while, so I figured I might as well pull the trigger since they have some in stock. Ordered through the web site Monday and they were delivered to my doorstep in California late Thursday morning. Spent today installing the tanks along with the RR upper/lower bolt kit for the rear tank. Took my time and did quite a bit of on/off to double check the fit of everything, but got it all done. I already had the KTM radiator guard and the RR tank kit fit over that without much fuss.

motokeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:57 PM   #4645
Leviathan
Tenerider

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by alongat View Post
I had a similar sounding issue a few weeks ago with my 2008 Enduro. This problem (stalling after anywhere between 5 - 60 seconds) and hard starting occurred right after I gave the bike a good thorough wash with some of the body panels off so I can clean it up underneath stuff. I posted the issue and as a result of a suggestion, I checked the spark plug wire and plug cap. It turned out that I had a small crack in it that let water in. After drying it off, dousing it with brake parts cleaner, siliconing the crack and then installing it, the problem has gone away permanently. I don't know if you've checked yours but with the intense heat of Israel and these bikes, cracking in plastic and even rubber could very well be the culprit.
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alongat View Post
By the way, I am going to be in Israel in December and would love to do a bit of a tour on bikes. Do you know of any places that rent Enduro bikes? I will be centred primarily in Herzelyiah Pituach / Petah Tikvah but also heading south to Eilat and I can get my family to fly there while I ride down...

AFAIK, there is no place that rents enduro bike. A short google search found this place (by your nickname I'm guessing that Hebrew is not an issue). Not sure what's it like, and it's probably gonna be pricy as hell.

If you got some strings with KTM reps, try having them contact the Israeli KTM dealership. From time to time they loaned bikes to tourists.

Aside from that, it might be possible to arrange a loaner for a day from one of the dealership (some of them have demonstration days from time to time).
Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:12 AM   #4646
blakrj
Need to ride

Oddometer: 187
Starter motor going?

Anyone had a starter motor die on them? Mine has now developed a nasty noise on occasion (not always) when starting. Not sure if it's in need of getting fixed/replaced before my warranty runs out (knowing my luck it will die the day after warranty runs out)
www.airborneriders.com
blakrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:01 AM   #4647
alongat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
Thanks, I'll check it out.

AFAIK, there is no place that rents enduro bike. A short google search found this place (by your nickname I'm guessing that Hebrew is not an issue). Not sure what's it like, and it's probably gonna be pricy as hell.

If you got some strings with KTM reps, try having them contact the Israeli KTM dealership. From time to time they loaned bikes to tourists.

Aside from that, it might be possible to arrange a loaner for a day from one of the dealership (some of them have demonstration days from time to time).
Toda Raba, I'll try that source. As for the cost, everything in Israel is expensive but how can you put a price on dirt riding in the Negev???

Yes, Hebrew isn't an issue - my nickname is my name. Good luck with the running issue - I hope you sort it out.

And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:51 AM   #4648
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba

Oddometer: 790
Did aliens abduct all the 690 jockeys?
Old 07-24-2012, 07:53 AM   #4649
Mac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Bong View Post
Did aliens abduct all the 690 jockeys?
Apparently, the sky HAS fallen on them...
Member: NRA, AMA, TPA, MSF RC
Mac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:42 AM   #4650
Bruno T .
N8YQ

Oddometer: 1,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbutt View Post
What a train wreck. Poor 690.
Bruno T . is offline   Reply With Quote